Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Tell me about your grade school assemblies! Did you have any cool ones? Did you have any lame ones? poo poo, they were all great cause it meant math got skipped for the day!

Assemblies I had:
-The hurdy gurdy man
-Billy Bee - a dude who sang about the environment
-Someone brought in a bunch of wolves one time. They told us to make a certain noise that was supossed to make them howl but it didn' work
-Yo Yo dude. He did a bunch of Yo Yo tricks. He took over gym class too and we all hosed around with Yo Yos. He has a competition to see who could keep their Yo Yo going the longest. I won, but didn't win anything
-Jew Couple - a husband and wife team that brought in a keyboard to the gym. All they did was sing the dreidel song. What you did was suggest what the dreidel was made out of, and they would include it in the dreildel song., as in "Dreildel, Dreidel, I made you out of [X]..". One kid suggested the dreidel be made out of reinforced steel. They said they didn't know what that was and just skipped over him and asked what the next material was
-An advertisement for a Catholic sleep away camp

What grade school assemblies did you have?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
We got visisted by Ronald McDonald a lot who would tell us about the environment and other poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

"Everbody shut the gently caress up, and sit down"
- Black principal I had

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

every year in october, the local fire company would come and demonstrate their gear and equipment and if it was sunny out, they'd scale a ladder on a truck. that was always neato.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

some guy died of brain cancer my junior year and they called an assembly to talk about it

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
they would make us all assemble. we were grade-school students at the time.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

symbolic posted:

every year in october, the local fire company would come and demonstrate their gear and equipment and if it was sunny out, they'd scale a ladder on a truck. that was always neato.

In highschool I took an elective taught by a retired cop. He got the SWAT team to bring their tactical van in for us to see. The bomb robot wasn't working that day, though :(

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I once brought a laser pointer to gently caress poo poo up but they found me within like 2 minutes :eng99:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
One time we had an assembly about quadropolegics and they had some guy's brother who jumped into a shallow pool and now had to blow through a tube in a chair to get around. Lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
one time we had an assembly in grade 4 because one student stabbed another. the principal told us all that it wasnt a big deal and we shouldn't bother mentioning it to our parents lol

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

JiveHonky posted:

they would make us all assemble. we were grade-school students at the time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A lot of DARE stuff.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

A lot of DARE stuff.

like GBS and tribalwars.com

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Big Beef City posted:

A lot of DARE stuff.

Please elaborate!!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Which one are you, Jive Honkey?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I remember one time ronald mcdonald had like 3 glasses all different sizes and poured water in the tallest one filling it up, then poured it in the middle one then the tiny one from each one and was like "SIZE DIFFERENES DONT MATTER JANET!"

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Which one are you, Jive Honkey?

second row third from the left

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

JiveHonky posted:

second row third from the left

Nice :smuggo: face.

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2016

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
We had one when the firemen came and showed us their gear they told us to not be afraid.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

shoophobo posted:

We had one when the firemen came and showed us their gear they told us to not be afraid.

We had that too. They had some kind of prop door and window stuff too. ANd took volunteers from the audience to stop drop and roll and check the door for heat before grabbing the handle.

E:

We had a Crest Dentist one too with the cavity creep video.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

the only one i remember was some culture sharing thing where some Indian girls danced around while a boombox repeated "I love my india, i love my india, i love my india"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Microwaves Mom posted:

with the cavity creep video.

The what?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Someone hosed a bird on stage

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fLTh0IVOkQ

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
The step team. Those poor, homely girls. Stomp! Clap! Stompstomp clap!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
The only one I remember was Montel Williams when he was a motivational speaker, before he had his TV show. I don't really remember the content, just that they bussed everyone to the high school for it.

Unless you count "split up the boys and girls for sex ed" as an assembly, we did that a couple of times.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Everyone on the Crest Team has a stronger jaw line than me...:smithcloud:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

A yo yo master came to our school and did an awesome display and we all got a free yo yo and I learned some cool tricks like the cradle thing and walk the dog and all that jazz it was really cool

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

Unless you count "split up the boys and girls for sex ed" as an assembly, we did that a couple of times.

couldn't get it right the first time, huh

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
we could never quite make a full voltron but we tried :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
-a woman who was in a concentration camp
-teenage girls dancing way suggestively in skimpy outfits

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Once a year they'd put all us kids in the gym and show a movie. They only had two movies on film, so they'd alternate them. First, third and fifth grade we watched Freaky Friday (the old Hayley Mills version) and second, fourth and sixth grade was Where the Red Fern Grows.

On the Red Fern years, they had to send half the kids home early because they were inconsolable. This was when sending a second grader home early was as easy as telling them to walk home alone, because we weren't all giant vaginas back then.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Celluloid Sam posted:

A yo yo master came to our school and did an awesome display and we all got a free yo yo and I learned some cool tricks like the cradle thing and walk the dog and all that jazz it was really cool

haha, same but a lot of kids got hurt because people were trying to shoot yo-yos strategically through peoples arms and legs

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Celluloid Sam posted:

Your Yo Yo guy was much better, ours didn't give us poo poo!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wore a Budweiser frog shirt to my DARE graduation without thinking about it and nobody cared

Oh in 4th grade we had a really old dude come in and tell us how the puritan's used to torture and shame women and he said something about "they nailed her ears to her own shackles, and she was crying and carrying on" and it was terrifying and cool but even then I remember being like this seems hosed up and pointless for a class a 4th graders to be hearing this dudes torture fantasy stories

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 13, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

On the Red Fern years, they had to send half the kids home early because they were inconsolable.

The book made me tear up so I can only imagine what the movie was like.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Luvcow posted:

haha, same but a lot of kids got hurt because people were trying to shoot yo-yos strategically through peoples arms and legs

this kid Marcus in our class was playing with this thing called a yo yo ball and it was like a plastic ball on a bouncy string and didn't have much in common with a yo yo at all but anyways he was swinging it around and it smashed him in the forehead and he grew a massive bump in the center of his forehead and he looked like a unicorn and even though it was horrible and I was like 8 or 9 I just burst out loving laughing. I'm a bad person.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Every assembly my friend Shane would yell "Tight box!" really loud when it was quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Windows 98 posted:

Every assembly my friend Shane would yell "Tight box!" really loud when it was quiet.

Why would Shane do this?

• Locked thread