Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Eh, it's a Platinum game. They're going to have a weird out-of-place bit of gameplay that goes on for too long, it;s just how they do things :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
I really, really tried to like the game. Everyone's criticisms, I felt, were overdone at best...The controls worked once you figured them out, and the worlds were awesome. ...But two things killed it for me.

Most of the alternate paths were to rehashes of other levels or tiny little dogfights of no particular interest, and the cool secret things you COULD find were all for medals. ...Which...really just depressed me once I figured that out.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I remember that stupid gyrocoptor thing scared the hell out of me too, but thankfully it's a one time thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheFattestPat posted:

I remember that stupid gyrocoptor thing scared the hell out of me too, but thankfully it's a one time thing.

Yeah this is pretty much the worst this game has to offer, everything after this isn't that bad.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

As a one-off thing, I don't mind Zoness. If there were more, it would become much more of a problem. Also, I just kind of liked finding all the different ways to kill the big bots.

Kind of like how I don't really like Aquas in 64 because it's completely mindless and a waste of time to just hit A + B + R repeatedly until the stage is over, but as a one-off, it's just fine in the game. I can always go a different way if I want to.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The stage looks fun enough and I think I would enjoy playing it, but it IS way out of place in the game. Aquas at least has you firing at poo poo and dodging, I always liked Aquas because UNLIMITED EXPLOSIONS, but Zoness here is the game telling you "how 'bout you play Chibi Robo for half an hour" and while that's nice and all, it's not the game you wanted to play and sat down for.

It's cool that you can get all medals in one go while that's apparently impossible for other levels (unless Maple Leaf is deliberately avoiding Accomplished conditions and more).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The complaints about the controls are totally justified. Yeah some people are really over-the-top about it but the way the two screens are juggled is really messy and it's potentially a game-breaker on its own. Both screens needlessly omit information to force you to look at the other one, and a lot of the time it's not really clear which one you're supposed to be looking at or if you're supposed to just be glancing back and forth every few seconds. The reticle on the top screen doesn't even actually show you where you're aiming which is just stupid.

There are moments during boss fights where the controls feel totally justified, but during linear shooting sections and other parts of the game it really feels like controls are being needlessly convoluted for the sake of showing off the technology of a console that's got a year left in its lifespan.

It's perfectly fine to say that after you got used to the weird control scheme you found the game to be quite enjoyable, but a lot of people won't make it that far and there's a very good reason why, they shouldn't be dismissed by any means.

Also I think that for a game that's aiming to innovate, it relies way too much on stuff from Star Fox 64. If you're trying to experiment and try new things to make the franchise feel fresh, why stop at the controls? Why not come up with some new story twists and unique new locations to play through?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Augus posted:

Also I think that for a game that's aiming to innovate, it relies way too much on stuff from Star Fox 64. If you're trying to experiment and try new things to make the franchise feel fresh, why stop at the controls? Why not come up with some new story twists and unique new locations to play through?

If the game is called Star Fox Zero why aren't you playing as James McCloud.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ZiegeDame posted:

If the game is called Star Fox Zero why aren't you playing as James McCloud.

Because it's Star Fox Zero, not F-Zero.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Augus posted:

Why not come up with some new story twists and unique new locations to play through?

Why are we remaking a game that has already had a remake? Was it really needed?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Look, in every Platinum game they shoehorn in a rail-shooter level. Naturally for Star Fox they needed to put one in that wasn't.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

Eh, it's a Platinum game. They're going to have a weird out-of-place bit of gameplay that goes on for too long, it;s just how they do things :shrug:

I liked the motorcycle and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta... :smith:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

azren posted:

I liked the motorcycle and Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta... :smith:
Sorry, I think you have a minority viewpoint and your opinion doesn't count. Those levels were objectively bad.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Simply Simon posted:

Sorry, I think you have a minority viewpoint and your opinion doesn't count. Those levels were objectively bad.

Did we really need a second poster in this thread pretending their opinions are objective fact?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Because it's Star Fox Zero, not F-Zero.

Some day there will be a new F-zero. Some day. . .

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ometeotl posted:

Did we really need a second poster in this thread pretending their opinions are objective fact?

I'm pretty sure that post was ironic.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ometeotl posted:

You're an objective fact.

I got nothing.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Zoness looked too easy, almost relaxing. Maybe it plays more difficult, but there weren't many enemies and the search lights seemed easy to dodge except for one gotcha at the end.

I'm still figuring out whether I should buy this game. I get why Star Fox 64 is rehashed so much, but I'd really like a return to the original's more difficult stages and slightly more mysterious feel (it had better music too).

I think one of the difficulties with Star Fox and F-Zero is that the originals were partly tech demos and had simple gameplay, so it's hard for sequels to feel new without taking some risky departures from the formula.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
literally the only thing F Zero GX needs to still be good and playable today is online multiplayer

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Looper posted:

literally the only thing F Zero GX needs to still be good and playable today is 1:1 cockpit VR, including those spins you do to attack

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning the controls can be changed in one of the videos. I had no idea this entire time. I played almost to the end when it came out, and could not stand the awful default setting, and just quit full stop because of a boss that felt impossible that way. Now it's like Splatoon, and it's actually playable and fun.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I think my biggest issue with Zoness was the pacing of the level, and the fact that your winch-connected robot is only there to act like a glorified lasso. The level is supposed to be an infiltration mission, right? My comparison of using the back of a hammer to scratch your back (or as Maple put it, to use a screwdriver to try to drive in nails) is to show how the use of the Gyrocopter, a laser-blasting hacking machine, was shoved into the mission design in such a contrived manner.

If the Gyrocopter had been used in a manner reminiscent to, say, Desert Strike's gameplay, it would have been actually really neat. For instance, using your Gyrocopter to dodge incoming fire as you lay waste (haha) to Zoness's anti-air batteries to let the fleet come in and retake the planet would have been pretty cool.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 2, 2016

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Also a seat that spins to really complete the nausea inducing experience of being (a vomiting) Captain Falcon.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Sector β

Episode 5: Run 1

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Yeah, boy, that's the stuff! :swoon:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I honestly would not complain if I got a game that was all missions like either this or Corneria.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm so happy the classic Star Wolf team is back.

I don't know if they'd ever do it, but I would love a mini Star Wolf campaign mode as a bonus.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So are you just going to go straight to the end first or double back and start taking the alternate paths?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I guess you'll find out soon, won't you?

That came off smarmier than I meant and I apologize.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh, you're going THAT way? So much for my plan of staying one level ahead of you in my discovery of things.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Holy balls that level looked like the bees knees. Everything about it took me back to being a kid playing Star Fox 64.

That gyrocopter though...

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

So I've done a complete playthrough now - some solo, mostly co-op. I think this LP does a great job of highlighting the difference between the great levels in this game (Sector β) and the not-so-great ones (Zoness). The former is high-octane, fast-paced, and a genuine thrill to play. The LP follows suit: you and Olive Branch get sucked into the mechanics of the game, commenting on the neat aspects of the controls that work in your favor during the dogfight.

And during Zoness, all you can ask is "what went wrong here?" That's really what it feels like to play the level. The tedium of it is upsetting on an almost existential level.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This level owns and all the cinematic shots just make it feel like a good time

Also the Assault remix of Star Wolf's theme is still the best imo but this one fits better with them being antagonists

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looper posted:

Also the Assault remix of Star Wolf's theme is still the best imo but this one fits better with them being antagonists

:agreed: Its hard to beat that trumpet.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I just discovered this thread, and boy howdy let me tell you, sitting through the gyrocopter level was worth it for that last one.

Star Wolf's theme with cinematic flybys :allears:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I found that last level to be a blast to watch. I can only imagine how fun it must be to play. I can't help but keep comparing this game, or at least its fun levels, with the Rogue Squadron series, especially Rogue Leader. The firefighting is intense and the set pieces a joy to blast through. Maple has hinted to me the next few levels get "busy" but I hope they're this kind of busy. :)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I can see where the complaints of "it's a rehash" are coming from when half the lines are taken right from 64.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Maple Leaf posted:

I guess you'll find out soon, won't you?

That came off smarmier than I meant and I apologize.

That's fair. I wait with bated breath.

I think the Star Wolf fights are probably the thing that was most improved with the new control set-up. In the other games, there were always two problems I had with these rival fights. First, you had to rely on the minimap too much to find them. Just looking at the minimap to try and get a glimpse of a dude is boring and not very informative. If there's a dude behind you, you don't have a good idea of how close he is and if he's about to fire. With target lock, you can get a pretty good view of what he's doing. Second, there were a lot of times when you could get stuck in a loop of going in circles to get behind each other. The only way to get out of it was to let the enemy get behind you and then somersault. With gyro-aiming, you can just look to the side and get some free hits while the other guy backs off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gotta also agree with the praise for this level, it's really exciting and feels exactly like a Star Fox game should, no stealth sections or anything. Flying through the shield and then infiltrating the ship was really cool and a great use of the transformation mechanic, and that fly-by animation with Wolf and Fox is just stylish as hell.

And drat that music is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

One nice touch about this level that didn't get shown off is that if you exit the ship asap after breaking the shield, General Pepper says something along the lines of "Forget the countdown, fire the cannons NOW!"

• Locked thread