Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

It's still a little hard for me to get a handle on Jim Rutherford: good gm.

He really hosed it up fierce his first year, but you have to give the man credit for doing a hell of a job cleaning up his mess this year

Also it apparently turns out Ray Shero was actually pretty competent at drafting, it was just that he was never interested in letting any young players play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Sharks are going to reach the Stanley Cup Finals and take the Penguins to 7 games

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's funny, the Pens just put down the Caps and are about to start the ECF against an overachieving southeastern team, it feels just like 2009 to me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Luckily for Phil, his nickname in college was Fat Slurry.

:golfclap:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

"Your City Sucks" chat is gonna be great this offseason :munch:

If I happen to blunder into Pittsburgh, do I want to see a game at the New IglooCEC? What did the round 2 nosebleeds go for?

Only about $100 for Game 6 actually. I wouldn't expect them to go for any more in the ECF since no one cares about Tampa.

That was based on a cursory glance at ticketmaster so if you put some work into it you might get them for even less than that. Lower bowl seats were $300+ though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The most conservative team in the playoffs with the most conservative coach winning the Cup would set hockey back 10 years for those of us who actually like to see the puck moving back and forth, so though I have nothing against Blues fans, gently caress the Blues. Preferably the Pens or Sharks will win the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Boston should play Subban when they go out West, every shot would probably be right in the chest.

:thurman:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doesn't she shut down her twitter account out of frustration at the abuse she gets from Internet Douchebags on a fairly regular basis? Pretty sure this happened like 6 weeks ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pens were a bit sloppy but not terrible, Tampa was really awesome, the Bishop injury really sucks, I still think the Pens will make adjustments and win the series as long as injuries don't wreck them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If MAF takes over at some point in this series and goes on to a second Cup, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he went into the HOF before Lundqvist

e: I don't know if a goalie's ever made the HOF without ever even being nominated for the Vezina, but MAF has a good shot at retiring top five all time in Wins and given how inclusive the hockey HOF is, that alone will get him in.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 14, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Callahan getting nothing was pretty much cinched when Letang returned to the game.

I dunno, he and Kunitz and Palat should all have been suspended and the fact the NHL doesn't give a poo poo about player safety really really makes me sad and kind of embarrassed to support the league.

e: also the Lightning claim Bishop is OK and just day to day and his screaming in agony and going off on a stretcher was no big deal. I'm sure the Penguins will totally fall for that and be shocked to see Vasikevsky start every remaining game. Coooooooooper :argh:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 14, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Even then, you can dislocate your knee and be able to gingerly walk a few days later, but that's a long long way from being able to play goaltender in the NHL. Pretty sure it would still be a 3-4 weeks type injury even with no severe ligament damage.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starting to wonder what Hornqvist did to irritate Sully

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's nothing boring about Tampa, the way they played made them great to watch even while they were kicking the Penguins' asses. The confidence with which they zipped the puck all over the ice made them look like a loving hive mind. I think Jon Cooper gets poo poo on around here but he must be doing something right.

It was probably just one great game and the Penguins will get to frustrating them, but if they actually keep playing that well they'll win the Cup and look great doing it IMO

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm shocked and amazed that the guy who lay screaming in agony on the ice waiting for a stretcher to carry him off wasn't at practice 3 days later

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What's Dumoulin's status?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maatta has been really bad and Jultz will be an upgrade, but I'm still unconvinced Maatta (rather than Cole) was actually the worst defenseman on the team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

N:

V:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

On the plus side at least now you have a ready made excuse for when your team loses in 6

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think I ever believed the Penguins were going to win the cup in 09 right up until they did. I knew they'd make the finals once they got past Washington but I also knew how good Detroit was and I figured they'd get curb stomped again. And honestly they almost did. It's a damned miracle they won on the road and that Maf went into lockdown mode for games 6 and 7. They also lucked out in that Datsyuk was hurt and not that effective. But I thought for a lot of that series Detroit still looked like the better team and it took some timely scoring and goaltending to get it done.

That was a really great Pens team but the Wings in 2008 and 2009 were a goddamn juggernaut. They played like a hivemind. My two Pens fan friends and I who watched every game of those playoffs just called them the Borg.

That was the closest any of us have gotten in our lifetimes to seeing Game 7 Overtime for the Stanley loving Cup, but if Lidstrom had sent it to OT the Wings would have won within the first 5 minutes. That last half of the third period took 15 years off my life.

100% worth it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vasilevsky has been drat good and a gimpy Bishop isn't going to save them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tampa pretty thoroughly kicked the Penguins' asses in Game 1 and there was no reason for the Pens to panic then, and there's no reason for Tampa to panic now.

That is My Hot Take

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Which, if you're familiar with the Pittsburgh accent, is pronounced "keel-bah-see"

My Altoid parents pronounce it "Kuh-bossy".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wait there's a dude named Mishkin calling Tampa games? I remember there being a character by that name in Goldeneye and learning it's Russian for idiot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It will be MAF. He's the starter, he played fine for the 1 period he was in, he will now remain the starter. Murray had a great run but he was always going back to being the backup as soon as he had a bad game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Losing Daley is pretty devastating for the Pens. They're going to need Maatta to play a lot better.

Personally I think playing Jultz big minutes is a better idea than More Lovejoy and More Cole but I Am Not A Hockey Coach

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The reality is any drat thing can happen in a best-of-3 so there's no way to know how it's going to turn out and it's basically a coinflip slightly to the Pens' advantage because of home ice.

haha just kidding Tampa is screwed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are gonna be a lot of surprised and disappointed SASers when MAF is fine and good and the Penguins win

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the Penguins lose (I still don't think they will, but if) it's going to be mostly because their best defenseman got hotbrained in Game 1 and was never right for the whole series and then their second-best defenseman's leg exploded in Game 4. It will have little to nothing to do with their goaltending.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Next year the Pens should be pretty solid if we can get some good D-men and Maata heals up

The only thing standing between the Pens and being the best team in the league next year is getting rid of Cole and preferably also Lovejoy, really. Though as always championships are mostly about injury luck.

e: Trevor Daley has been consistently great as a Penguin, I don't know what else to tell you. That their defensive depth is a problem, well, see above.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IMO the Penguins have 6 good defensemen for next year: Letang, Dumoulin, Daley, Jultz, Maatta and Pouliot. If they'd just loving let Jultz play he'd play fine, and Maatta's going to be a lot better after a proper summer I think. Pouliot's bad in his own end, but so is Ian Cole and if Pouliot's your 6th best defenseman you're doing all right. The Pens will be a lot better if they quit loving around with guys like Lovejoy and Cole for their Veteran Presence and instead fully embrace being a puck moving machine.

Of course if those 6 guys are your top 6 for next year you still need about 3 more playable dudes, whether they're in the minors or you sign someone cheap and rotate some healthy scratches or whatever. But the Pens have plenty of potential to ice not just an adequate D corps next year but a good one IMO

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I wish I could turn my mind off like real life sports fans I meet at sports bars and at games. It must be nice thinking Brooks Orpik is a good character defenseman and that Ovechkin is a choker, it's certainly a lot more interesting than the truth.

I actually kind of agree with this, in a way sports was more fun when I didn't understand the truth of

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I imagine they will. Maf wasn't a complete sieve but 4 goals on 25 shots is pretty bad.

There is zero chance MAF doesn't start Game 6 unless he's somehow injured

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It doesn't matter that much which goalie plays IMO, the Penguins' fortunes ride a lot more on their defensemen playing better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Goaltending kinda is losing them this series right now given they scored 6 in their last two games and lost both.

Goaltending is not alone synonymous with goal prevention

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

Now that he's gone I feel like everyone should kill Perron, he's kind of a bitch.

Can confirm.

I remember thinking "Great trade! who'd we get?" when I heard Perron was finally gone and I still can't quite believe the Pens got Carl Hagelin for him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

also, i am totally on board with justin schultz, severely sheltered offensive D man. i am becoming increasingly less on board with justin schultz, has to actually play some defensive minutes as well due to daley's injury and makes increasingly worse plays in his own zone over and over

He's still better than Cole or Lovejoy though. With Daley out the Penguins have no good options and giving Jultz big minutes is probably their least bad option.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If Tampa's that awesome when they're aggressive, why aren't they aggressive all the time?

If they can only be aggressive now and then, why do they always wait until they're trailing in the third period to start playing that way?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only logically sound answers I can think of are "it's just random coincidence," "because Tampa's coach is an idiot," or "because like all other NHL teams Pittsburgh starts playing more to kill clock than to try to score goals when holding a third period lead."

It was actually one of the very distinctive things about Sullivan that since he took over the Penguins did NOT turtle with a third period lead. They stayed aggressive and put teams the gently caress away. But I think the combination of the ever increasing pressure of a deep playoff run and the progressive weakening of the Penguins' defensemen due to injuries has pushed Sullivan toward coaching more "conventionally" and turtling like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does MAF have a no trade clause? I'm laughing today at the people who think an off-season trade will be anything more than a couple low draft picks with the Penguins retaining salary.

He has a limited no-trade. IIRC he can list something like 12 teams he can't be traded to.

If the Penguins win the Cup with Murray then I guess they probably are going to have to trade MAF, but anything short of that, even a Game 7 Finals loss, and they'll keep him and let Murray back him up for at least one more year, I think. They really really love him.

• Locked thread