Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pens

Sharks

Bolts

Blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

so to summarize, it sounds like the consensus sentiment in SAS is................... go pens>????? well i'll be!!! :D

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Aurora posted:

Hank gouged his thigh today :(

:( what happened/???

three-legged sam went to an aqua-therapy class for the 1st time yesterday. he was scared but had fun

e: and yes gently caress you i take my dog to aqua-therapy so what

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i hope the pens scratch maatta for game 2. even as bad as lovejoy and cole are, olli looks worse right now. it's painful

and yeah, the PP is a drat shame. IMO it seems like their only set up is to run it through malkin & letang at the point, which just does't work against aggressive checking PKs. let crosby work it down low and stack horny and kessel in the slot plz

with letang's brains scrambled and dumoulin out, i'm not too optimistic about the series, but we'll see. i do have more confidence in this team than any other recent pens team to adapt and adjust as a series progresses, so i still have some optimism

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK Is an unwavering rationality machine and for that i salute him/her

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

also its funny bc its a depth wu tang member

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

quad post bitches

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

Wait did you just lump Portland OR in with these cities? I lived in Portland for a number of years and lol no it's a garbage city for garbage people (with exception of like 2-3 good people).

I'm just gonna pretend you're talking about Portland Maine. You're taking about Maybe, right??

Makes more sense anyway since Portland me is the best city in the us

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

a good decision

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

yeah, maatta's missed ~50% of the past 2 seasons due to injuries, including spending most of this offseason rehabbing from his 2nd shoulder surgery. i'm not totally surprised that his conditioning has never seemed on-track this season. hopefully the orpik hit didn't gently caress him up too bad and he can recover this coming offseason. i feel like next season will be a big season in terms of whether maatta lives up to his hype or not

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

pens babbies starting to show signs of regression...

i have faith that murray can bounce back, but i wouldn't be surprised if sheary is in full pumpkin mode after a few weeks of looking like a respectable top 6 player

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i got some footage of wonderllama having a fit as the pens dismantled the bolts

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

IMO Tampa bay got really lucky tonight, Pens whiffed on a few too many chances

I hope they dress Pouliot instead of Mastta if Daley has to miss a game

Murray got totally hung out to dry, didn't have a bad game at all. probably will still wind up starting MAF, which seems like a huge mistake, but such is life

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Murray got totally hung out to dry, didn't have a bad game at all. probably will still wind up starting MAF, which seems like a huge mistake, but such is life

Welp. Even if most goals weren't maf's fault, I'm still 99% sure we would have won with Murray. Even if you think Murray has looked shaky lately, he's looked way less shaky than MAF. Which makes sense since MAF hasn't played in like 2 months because of an apparently severe concussion. God dammit

At least Maatta looked good tonight :shobon:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Vincent Van Goat posted:

And Bennett didn't get hurt.

Def not wearing this jersey next game, could be bad luck

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

IMO the story is that Murray was able to overcome the Pens lovely D through the 1st two rounds, and probably could have against TBL if they'd stuck with him. Unfortunate reality is that the pens need a goalie who can bail out their D, not the other way around. MAF isn't looking like that goalie right now, understandably given his hiatus due to severe head injury

Fateo McMurray posted:

That was my favorite bit. I would watch an hour long program that's just hockey chirps from the past week

:agreed:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Have Sharks fans come to terms with the fact that if they win, it's thanks to Boston?

really though, it's thanks to marco sturm, wayne primeau and brad stuart :eng101:

just found out that mike sullivan was the coach of the bruins when that trade happened... so really, i think SJ has the pens to thank. you're wlecome

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Zip! posted:

I am sorry your teams head coach is such a moron :( There was no reason to sit Elliot in the first place. "Jolt we needed" indeed haha.

lol, only would be better if hitch said something like "we've got them right where we want them"

the not funny part is that the pens are in the exact same situation :smith:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i don't think hitch is a bad coach, but i think starting allen was a dumb, if ultimately inconsequential move, and saying that it gave them the boost they needed after losing 6-3 is hilarious

i mean hitch seems to be a bad coach in the same way that trotz and boudreau are, which is being consistently really really good but not good enough to win the cup

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

nice, if by some miracle the pens make the SCF i'll only "miss" games 3 and 4 due to this stupid work conference (u going again jamwad?)

the reason i put miss in quotes is that i just moved and had to transfer my comcast service, which came with free upgrade to their X1 cable platform. i am weirdly excited about being hosed by the long dick of the law telecommunications cartel in this case because the X1 DVR is cloud based, so i can record the games and then watch em from my laptop in my hotel room in the evening. it is sad how happy this makes me

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

my dicks all seem to be cumming

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

seriously though, this series is living up to everything i expected from PIT TBL. so much fun

not that this approached anywhere near the level of johnston era turtling, but i really don't think the pens can let off the throttle at all with a lead in this series. it's incredible how tampa activates their D and seems like on any given play if an attacking forward holds onto the puck long enough he'll have a totally unguarded D man in the slot to bang one in

also, i am totally on board with justin schultz, severely sheltered offensive D man. i am becoming increasingly less on board with justin schultz, has to actually play some defensive minutes as well due to daley's injury and makes increasingly worse plays in his own zone over and over

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pittsburgh was playing a different game when they were up 3-2 vs. up 3-0. Obviously it's human nature to sit on a lead, but the Lightning are a very skilled team and will make you pay for it. Imo big difference seemed to be that 1) pens D didn't pinch as aggressively in the 3rd, and 2) pens did a lot more chip ins without a clear plan for offensive retrieval or a hard forecheck. I.e., chip n change instead of chip n chase. I think 1) is a good change to make when you're defending a lead, I think 2) is where the pens get into trouble because it makes it too easy for Tampa to set up through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, and pens D really isn't good enough to rely on

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I agree. I think that overturned goals like Drouin's (and other similar plays) could spark reconsideration of how the offside rule should function, though. Tampa didn't get any advantage because Drouin's skate was off the ice so it seems dumb to kill the play on a strict technicality. I don't know how to fix that, though.

Yeah, that's fair. The thing I like about the offsides rule as it stands is that it's prettttttttty black and white. If you allow the trailing foot to be in the air, I could imagine that there will be cases where 99% of the trailing foot is off-sides but maaaaaaaaaaybe the very tip of the toe is still hovering over the blueline. It's a corner case, sure, but I like that there's not really anything controversial about the offsides reviews -- they're just annoying because of the delay of game and momentum shifts.

I like the idea of making the penalty stiffer for losing a challenge, but I don't know if I could support a full 2-min minor. If a coach loses a challenge, that could mean that a goal stands AND then they immediately go on the PK? IMO that swings the momentum too far in the other direction. I don't know what the solution should be, but maybe something like a lost timeout and an automatic defensive zone faceoff for the losing team? Or, just spitballing here, lost timeout, automatic d-zone draw, and they have to ice 4 skaters until they legally clear the puck out of the zone? Kind of like a hybrid PK...

Also I think improving the challenge process (i.e., having centralized reviews) could really speed things up and mitigate the delay of game annoyance that comes from a bunch of refs squinting at an iPad.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

this is going to be an awesome SCF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i still can't believe rust didn't get a penalty shot, that was a disgusting missed call

• Locked thread