Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Artix posted:

What's funny is that Noel legit has a decent character arc, but it requires you to pretend that absolutely nothing from XIII-2 ever happened. Because the second you introduce that "Oh, right. We changed the future like, 10 times," his entire motivation falls apart.

You could justify this by saying 500 years is a damned long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I dunno, given the choice between spending eternity with my cats or the people who live in that world, I'd take the cats any day.
I wouldn't want to spend centuries staring at that terrible cat model.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Artix posted:

What's funny is that Noel legit has a decent character arc, but it requires you to pretend that absolutely nothing from XIII-2 ever happened. Because the second you introduce that "Oh, right. We changed the future like, 10 times," his entire motivation falls apart.

I think he kind of gave up on the idea that things can really be changed in any major way when he ended up killing Cauis anyways despite trying to avoid precisely that scenario. I mean, he basically had Fate kick him right in the teeth at the end there and I think it broke him.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Obligatum VII posted:

I think he kind of gave up on the idea that things can really be changed in any major way when he ended up killing Cauis anyways despite trying to avoid precisely that scenario. I mean, he basically had Fate kick him right in the teeth at the end there and I think it broke him.

It probably didn't help that Serah died in his arms too, after everything that had happened.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 11: A Grave Revelation (Polsy) :siren:

Nothing special here, just another update with our best friend Noel.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those subtitles can use some work.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Been a while since I played, but I think I remember Gaunts getting access to Aeroga in later days. THAT'S when they really start sucking. Or I might be thinking of another enemy entirely.

Anyway, Gaunts aren't the worst thing you'll run into there, not by a longshot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
No cat would ever call a person its "master". If cats could talk they would say something like, "You were always quite okay as my pet. But you're awful at hunting mice. How often do I have to show you how that's done, anyway? I loving brought you some which were barely alive anymore and laid them on your bed and you still messed it up!".

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Hello yes, there were pettings and tummy rubs, which I quite enjoyed from time to time, but sometimes my food dish was empty? And you would move when I was sleeping? And that just will not do."

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015
If you forget to pick up the Crest of Etro, you don't have to run all the way back. Another can be picked up at the phone booth where you gave them the numbers. Also you can just straight up kill the guy in the warrens who wants the crest to let you enter Noel's hideout, and he'll drop another crest.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Cat?? posted:

"If you die there will be no one left in the world who remembers me."
Well you know, he could take a nap as a crystal...

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Stealing church crap and turning people into cats...Is Lumina just loving with people in these sidequests because it's fun?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digital Jello posted:

Stealing church crap and turning people into cats...Is Lumina just loving with people in these sidequests because it's fun?

Considering what we've seen, I think she's doing it not because it is fun in and of itself, but because she fully knows that all her poo poo will mean more and weirder work for Lightning, and that is hilarious.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

"Hello yes, there were pettings and tummy rubs, which I quite enjoyed from time to time, but sometimes my food dish was empty? And you would move when I was sleeping? And that just will not do."
"You were warmer than most of the things I slept on."

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering what we've seen, I think she's doing it not because it is fun in and of itself, but because she fully knows that all her poo poo will mean more and weirder work for Lightning, and that is hilarious.
She gets to make LIghtning buy the most ridiculous things and say bizarre phrases. This is clearly a worthy use of her time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The cat quest is one of the last quests I did in the game, because it has really strange trigger conditions. The quest can only be started in some nebulous time frame the internet can't quite seem to agree on, and if you go to the cat at any other point in time, you still have the quest name/marker there but can't actually talk to the cat. It's very confusing.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Lumina actually has a master plan that requires all these side quests to exist, and once lightning had completed them all she'll finally have enough happiness energy to create a wormhole to get out of the 13 universe once and for all.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 12: A Chocobo's Dilemma (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Last Surviving Wilderness (Wildlands - Morning)
Savior of Souls

Datalogs

quote:

Locations: The Wildlands

An island of untamed wilderness where the grandeur of nature still survives, and many fierce monsters roam. The people of the wildlands are those who have grown weary of city life, or those seeking to escape the Order's influence. They live independently from the rest of the world, surviving directly off the land.

This area was ground zero when the Chaos first flooded into the world from Valhalla, and it is here that you will find the temple of the goddess of death, transported from that other dimension. Before it stands a village inhabited by those who worship Etro.

Near to the station is the farming village of Canopus Farms, famous for its fresh produce. Aryas Village to the south, raises Fuzzy Sheep, and in the woods of Jagd live chocobo-riding hunters. There is also a small camp of some kind in the northeast.

quote:

Mythology: The Unseen Chaos

The unseen Chaos is the darkness which dragged Lightning into Valhalla. Five hundred years ago, the border between Valhalla and this world was broken open, and the world was flooded by an ocean of Chaos.

When Lightning came into contact with the unseen Chaos, she touched a darkness that should never exist in the human world. Etro had dammed the unseen Chaos in her temple, but when she died, there was no one left who could stop the catastrophe that later ensued.

If the unseen Chaos were to flood into the world again, it would threaten God's plans for humanity. It is said that a "great Chaos" lies within the temple of the goddess in the Wildlands — the parallels to the unseen Chaos of Valhalla are too close for comfort.

quote:

Legends and History: The Angel of Valhalla

The chocobo is a great bird most easily recognized by its bright yellow plumage. Chocobos are extremely useful to humans and often used as steeds. They are irreplaceable allies to the hunters who eke out a living in the Wildlands.

In those same Wildlands, there is a legend of a pure-white chocobo, called the Angel of Valhalla, who would appear at the end of the world. Until recently, the story has remained just that, but the number of reported sightings is on the increase. A certain veterinarian in the Canopus Farms, affectionately known as Dr. Gysahl, is said to be the authority on everything related to this legend.

quote:

Legends and History: Temple of the Goddess and the Great Chaos

A cursed temple that stands in the north of the Wildlands, beneath which, it is said, lies the great Chaos.

The temple is not a thing of this world. It is an artifact which appeared from Valhalla, the realm of the dead goddess Etro, when the Chaos flooded through the gate. Could it offer some further understanding of the destruction that afflicts the world?

The Angel of Valhalla is meant to carry the chosen one to the temple of the goddess—that is what the legends say. Lightning heard a voice telling her as much when she arrived here. It seems like too great of a coincidence to mean nothing.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 2, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just a heads up, your non-Polsy link there goes to episode 8

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Chocobo Eaters and Behemoths are the worst things to fight in this game, huge HP and insanely strong.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just a heads up, your non-Polsy link there goes to episode 8

Fixed, thanks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Of course the only natural predators of the fast, agile chocobos is a slow, ponderous enemy that has to drag itself across the ground at a pace that looks like it would be outpaced by a three-legged overweight dog.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It also has two mouths, for some stupid reason.

I figured the chocobo performed its job for the end times and dying was a suitable end.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I have a hard time determining which one I hate more: the Chocobo Eater or the Meonektons. There's one I hate above both of those, but we haven't seen that one yet.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I actually like the Chocobo Eater's design a lot better in this one than in the other FFs (I want to say FF 10, but good god I can't remember all this poo poo...). I'm a little disappointed that it's just a giant torso, but I do like the idea of a second, bigger mouth; it gives it the "scary monster" quality that I like.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Schwartzcough posted:

Of course the only natural predators of the fast, agile chocobos is a slow, ponderous enemy that has to drag itself across the ground at a pace that looks like it would be outpaced by a three-legged overweight dog.

That guy is from at least FF10 though, you can't fault 13 for this.
Admittedly, in 10 we didn't see the thing move (that I recall) but the model of this rear end in a top hat was already fixed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It could also be the trap-style of predator. It doesn't chase after it's prey, it's prey comes to it. Maybe it stinks of Gysahl. This one certainly looks like it could hide out in some rocks or be a hill or something.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omobono posted:

That guy is from at least FF10 though, you can't fault 13 for this.
Admittedly, in 10 we didn't see the thing move (that I recall) but the model of this rear end in a top hat was already fixed.

You recall wrong. Chocobo Eater looked completely different in X, first of all it had legs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think the Wildlands are my favourite area in general. Fun enemies (except for Chocobo Eaters), Miniflans are just hilarious when you have a bunch of endgame spells. And I remember the Behemoths being really fun once you get to the point where you can fight them properly.

Also Zebra print cowboy hat. Oh, and some fun gimmicks to the area, and a bunch of great quests. I remember some annoying parts though.

And the Angel. :3: Actually, seeing how aggressive/prideful Chocobos seem to be in this game, maybe that's how the Eaters get them, they sit around going "Chocobos are poo poo at fighting" and they feel insulted and go fight them and get chomped.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 13: Sheepish Demands (Polsy) :siren:

A little bit of everything in this video, catching up with sidequests all over the world.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I enjoy the genocide mechanic, Chocobo Eaters are always the first things on the death list for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I always approve of a genocide option. It is not about the numbers, but the challenge. Some bosses have great music to kill to.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I fuckin' love those sheep.

Also the genocide mechanic. There's an enemy type annoying you? Purge it from existence. For wonderful neon pink prizes. And yeah, if you wipe out everything there's still Anubysses and other things that will always be there for you.

Oh, and I looked it up, apparently the gratitude is just a joke item. I like that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's at least one non-DLC garb that gets a unique response. Dragoon gets a crack about betrayal. Poor Kain.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Finally you guys have talked about the extinction mechanic.

I wasted so much time trying to genocide the Meonektons before finally looking up that there were that many of them. Hate them.

Anubii are just straight up infinite, given a thing that won't appear until right near the end of the game. I also spent a whole bunch of time killing them... almost as much as every other enemy put together. It 'helped' that in their case they give out 1 EP each (on normal); so you get infinite Chronostasis as long as you encounter them fast enough.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Is it possible to overfeed the chocobo? I know it's kinda bad to say that I wanna see a mention of fat chocobo, but I think it'd be hilarious and a bit doofy (especially for this game.)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 14: The Color Menu (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Death Game

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Augh, Desdemonas. :argh: Whoever decided that a certain thing we should see next video only works with one ability that you can only get from killing a hard-to-stagger, low-health enemy while it's staggered is a dick.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Looks like costumes isn't the only thing this game and FFXIV has in common, since the cyclops model looks exactly the same in both games. Pretty sure the eye beam is in both games too!

Also, the fact that there's a fal'cie that just makes all the food seems like a pretty convenient excuse for what everyone eats... except they've already kinda explained that with what exists in the Wildlands? And they could easily just have added a port to one of the cities? Or we can just say that a magic machine did it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought they have died off, but there are always a fal'cie helping humanity.

• Locked thread