Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Miz Kriss posted:

Is it possible to overfeed the chocobo? I know it's kinda bad to say that I wanna see a mention of fat chocobo, but I think it'd be hilarious and a bit doofy (especially for this game.)

You cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aww, I like the default setting of the Quiet Guardian outfit. It looks like the State Alchemist uniform from Full Metal Alchemist.

With regards to the Fal'Cie back on Cocoon, the way I look at it, you can justify it by saying, well, one of the others was dedicated to producing usable materials for food, building and whatnot (from what, I have no idea, Pulse, I assume). With all of them gone, save for Pandemonium, it was forced to use whatever materials were readily available. And since the only remaining resource is Chaos, well...

It's not exactly the best explanation, but it's genuinely more than the game gives us, so roll with it, I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Death Game is the best new song in the game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had a XIII-2 flashback in that cutscene after killing the Cyclops and fully expected a QTE.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
You guys haven't mentioned it that I've noticed, but will you ever talk about the timed hits mechanic?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
If that's the only fal'Cie left, presumably it's the one that re-branded Snow? And I guess gave him a Focus to... feed people? So that's why he's always throwing parties or whatever?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Schwartzcough posted:

If that's the only fal'Cie left, presumably it's the one that re-branded Snow? And I guess gave him a Focus to... feed people? So that's why he's always throwing parties or whatever?

Didn't Dumbest get re-branded by a cactuar Fal'cie or something? I kinda remember the thread mentioning expanded material back during 13-2.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Omobono posted:

Didn't Dumbest get re-branded by a cactuar Fal'cie or something? I kinda remember the thread mentioning expanded material back during 13-2.

Yeah, afaik it falls off that huge crystal pillar (and presumably dies) right before you meet Snow in FFXIII-2.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

This was also mentioned in an earlier video. There's a cactaur statue in the middle of party city that's covered in neon, and someone (Hope, maybe?) mentions that it's a memorial to cact'cie.

Unrelatedly, this upcoming boss is what made me put the game down. I didn't realize just how open the game is, so I was just running through the plot that was put in front of me. That meant I had terrible equipment and low stats from completing very few sidequests. I thought he seemed unreasonably hard, but I wasn't invested enough in the series to try to figure out why, since I was just playing on my roommate's copy of the game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 15: Light and Shadow (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Noel's Theme ~ The Shadow Hunter
A Dying World
Noel and Yeul ~ The Promise

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 2, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Woe betide the player who stumbles into Noel's boss fight or any of the others for that fact, this game really does not screw around and will kick your rear end if you are not ready.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Noel is very, very easy if you keep cursing him though

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Are you going to show what happens if you wait to fight these bosses until much later on?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did Yeul just tell Noel that he was going to die soon?

Stone-cold, Yeul. Jeez.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Woe betide the player who stumbles into Noel's boss fight or any of the others for that fact, this game really does not screw around and will kick your rear end if you are not ready.

This was actually me on my first playthrough. I tried fighting Noel as soon as possible and he just walked all over me for a solid 4-5 attempts before i gave up and reloaded to the start of the day. I went in expecting something like 13-2's bosses where if you know what you're doing it's not too difficult but my mind hadn't full grasped how important blocking was.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did Yeul just tell Noel that he was going to die soon?

Stone-cold, Yeul. Jeez.

At this point I think most people have caught on to the whole "world's gonna be dead in a week" thing so :shrug:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For as much poo poo as we give Tetsuya Nomura, that haute couture Tron neon yellow nonsense is amazing.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
First time through, I fought Noel way too early. I only managed to win because of the Cloud outfit. It's a VERY good early game crutch.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do all buff items heal you or is it from a different source? That is a neat concept to making people use items.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Were you leaving the fanatics area at the end of the video without looting the place? For shame!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do all buff items heal you or is it from a different source? That is a neat concept to making people use items.

I don't remember if all of them do, but a lot of them certainly do.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Is it weird that I don't think Noel's actions here are particularly confusing?

Yeah, he knows that what the prophesphere shows isn't necessarily going to happen. That's why he was actively working to make the events shown by it happen - because he wanted the future it was showing as coming from those events. I mean, that doesn't change the fact that magical future slideshow polygons are by their very nature dumb, but that part sort of makes sense.

I also fought Noel way too easy, and only managed to win by drinking all of the potions, and even then it was like a 20 minute fight that came right down to the wire. Trying to complete the areas in this game before moving on is very dumb, and I wish I hadn't done that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Trick Question posted:

Is it weird that I don't think Noel's actions here are particularly confusing?

Yeah, he knows that what the prophesphere shows isn't necessarily going to happen. That's why he was actively working to make the events shown by it happen - because he wanted the future it was showing as coming from those events. I mean, that doesn't change the fact that magical future slideshow polygons are by their very nature dumb, but that part sort of makes sense.

His actions aren't confusing. His motives are considering this is post XII-2 Noel and no one mentions the whole deal with that game, even with a single sentence. Not even a 'I tried to change the future but-' phrase. It's an exceptionally curious/dumb omission on the part of the writers.

Edit: Actually it's not even his motives, it's the fact that he's kind of done a thematic 180 since we saw him last and there's pretty much nothing to explain that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 5, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

His actions aren't confusing. His motives are considering this is post XII-2 Noel and no one mentions the whole deal with that game, even with a single sentence. Not even a 'I tried to change the future but-' phrase. It's an exceptionally curious/dumb omission on the part of the writers.

Edit: Actually it's not even his motives, it's the fact that he's kind of done a thematic 180 since we saw him last and there's pretty much nothing to explain that.

He's had n years to think about two dead women with nobody to talk to but Snow. It isn't like he can time travel anymore!
Granted, I never finished 13-2 and only vaguely remember the story from the KFJ let's play a few years back, so I could very easily be missing something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think he said it himself, without saying it outright. Last time he tried to dick around with time and undo prophesies, he ended up being personally responsible for ending the world. Now that he'd found a prophesy that had something he liked in it, he didn't want to try and gently caress with it and risk making everything worse again.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I will say I like the stone-cold look of absolute disdain Lightning gives Noel when she blocks his first attack. She didn't even flinch from the attack, and it really drives home how inhuman she is compared to the rest of them. That being said, the whole speech after that is (while amazing when she's calling Noel's bluff) a little bit over the top.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is hard to remember she is a normal human, when her notable emotions in the other games are punching Snow.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
:siren: Update 16: The Apocalypse Room (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Cathedral

Datalogs

quote:

The Winds of Chaos

Vanille once fought alongside Lightning against their shared fate, and she sacrificed herself to become part of the crystal pillar that saved Cocoon. Thirteen years ago, she woke from her eternal sleep and was quickly taken under the care of the Order, who proclaimed her a saint.

When she awoke, it seemed that Vanille somehow gained the ability to hear the cries of the dead. Vanille herself says that she wants to use this power to bring peace to the dead. It is a wish born of the remorse that she still feels for all the deaths for which she believes she was responsible.

The dead of this world have become part of the endless swirl of Chaos. Feeling the power of it, Lightning realizes that this responsibility is too much for Vanille alone to bear. Yet the one person who has always been at Vanille's side to support her is not there. Fang is gone.

quote:

People: Oerba Dia Vanille

Vanille was raised in the isolated village of Oerba on the Surface of Gran Pulse. A series of events led her and her best friend, Fang, to sleep for hundreds of years as statues of crystal.

When she woke for her long sleep, she found herself telling lie after lie, not wanting to face the painful reality of who she was or what she had done. Vanille's presence affected the fates of many people forever, including Serah. But with Lightning and her other friends, she was able to face reality and bring about a miracle to help atone for the many who were sacrificed because of her choices. She and Fang became the crystal pillar that held Cocoon aloft, saving it and its millions of inhabitants.

Nearly a thousand years have passed, until Vanille and Fang woke thirteen short years ago. Now the Order keeps her in their clutches, calling her their "saint" and believing her to have mystical powers.

quote:

Locations: The Cathedral of Luxerion

Towering over the Luxerion skyline is the grand headquarters of the Order of Salvation.

During the day, a grand hall called the Hall of Devotion is open to the public, and believers come to hear the sermonizing of the priestess who leads the Order. Pilgrims stream to the cathedral, many of them hoping to catch a glimpse of the mysterious saint who lives deep within the cathedralóbut few are rewarded.

Beneath the cathedral is God's Sanctum. This special chamber stands ready for the ceremony that the Order will perform on the last day of the worldóonly a select few are allowed to enter it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Well that cathedral just made things a bit more grimdark.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if Tetsuya Nomura and those artists at FromSoft who make gear for the Souls games (ie, Fashion Souls) ever collaborated. Most likely it'd be some sort of terrifying dress-up game or what have you.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

NGDBSS posted:

Well that cathedral just made things a bit more grimdark.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if Tetsuya Nomura and those artists at FromSoft who make gear for the Souls games (ie, Fashion Souls) ever collaborated. Most likely it'd be some sort of terrifying dress-up game or what have you.

Dark Belts: Prepare to ????

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've heard that the black wind howls, but this is ridiculous

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

Dark Belts: Prepare to ????
At which point the PvP meta ends up revolving around equipping hypermode gear, stacking maximum health increases, riding at the edge of low health, and smacking people with the difference. Or alternately chomping their necks like a vampire.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, I'm with you, Fedule, on the conversations being about three times as long as they need to be in general. That was my biggest pet peeve about the game.

That last sidequest was at least sort of a twist on an old trope. The "immortal falls in love with a mortal" thing has been done before, but usually it's a lone immortal in a sea of mortals. The immortal laments their love growing old and dying before their eyes. This time it was a lone mortal in a sea of immortals, trying to spare her love from that fate, and instead the immortal laments not getting to spend his days watching his love grow old. So that's different, I guess?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I can't be the only person who groans whenever the game mentions the number thirteen for something significant, can I?

Everything from the number of clocks to the days until the apocalypse. "IT IS SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE THE GAME IS THIRTEEN SEE WE ARE BEING CLEVER."

Are there thirteen outfits, too? Is it really that sad?

Lighting needs to wear a brilliantly neon pink outfit now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shei-kun posted:

I can't be the only person who groans whenever the game mentions the number thirteen for something significant, can I?

Everything from the number of clocks to the days until the apocalypse. "IT IS SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE THE GAME IS THIRTEEN SEE WE ARE BEING CLEVER."

Lighting needs to wear a brilliantly neon pink outfit now.

There's thirteen days until the end of the world because that's what Vanille says in the voiceover at the beginning of the first ff13. like yeah it's stupid but it's not this game's fault

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Shei-kun posted:

There are waaaaay the gently caress more than thirteen outfits.

Now, as to whether that is more or less sad...I'll leave that to you.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just about caught on 13 2 then starting this, but had a question. Do you guys ever stumble on the obvious "tres-orbs" for the treasure balls? It occurred to me the second I found one in 13 and is in common use amongst my friends.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zushio posted:

Just about caught on 13 2 then starting this, but had a question. Do you guys ever stumble on the obvious "tres-orbs" for the treasure balls? It occurred to me the second I found one in 13 and is in common use amongst my friends.

In the 6 years the launch of FF13 I have never once heard anyone call them that. :shrug: It's sort of obvious in retrospect, but I can't imagine that I'll be using it any time soon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'm with you, Fedule, on the conversations being about three times as long as they need to be in general. That was my biggest pet peeve about the game.

It's a recurring issue in Square-Enix games, that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I somehow managed to completely miss this thread. Looks like I got some catching up to do!

Also this game owns and is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think I was supposed to post this next one yesterday. Whoops.

Brace for participation.

• Locked thread