Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PP: 2 | XP: 1

Letting out a slight groan as she sheathes her swords, Gwen looks to the agent. "Seriously? Exposition. This is where you tell us all about your evil plan. One sec." She leans into the van, pulling out a slice and taking a bite as the shouts and salutes start to ring out. "Hydra? No, you're with A.I.M. Seriously, do you guys work two jobs? That would explain a lot-", she says she she's still ducked inside the vehicle, before standing up straight and looking to the silent thug. Raising an eyebrow, she realizes the voice isn't coming from the trooper... or a singular body at all, looking to the museum and then looking around at the crowds to the thug.

"Soooo now would be an awesome time to spill the beans. It's what a cool reformed A.I.M. trooper would do.", she says, looking a rather wary herself at the mounting tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"Merde," he cursed under his breath. He wasn't sure who he was really mad at, this AIM amateur asking point-blank about sources he had or Taskmaster's total indifference after what was a pretty impressive dropdown strike. He climbed off the back of the Hornet who had so graciously broken his fall, but kept his staff at the ready to crack the AIM Ace upside the skull if they made any sudden moves. "I knew you were coming because you basically the least subtle dudes to ever put on a helmet. I don't know what you got going on outside, but a diversion like this, roping all those people into it? Low-class, man. Just low-class."

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
PP: 2 Stress: D6 Physical

Jubilee gives a single chuckle. "Oh Gambit, you're the same as ever." She goes to check on the other AIM guys. Disarm them, if they're not totally dead try to provide some first aid, you know. "You should probably ask her to take off the helmet though, if you're going to threaten to whack her upside the head. We all know you could make it count anyway, but it's way scarier that way."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"Well, you heard the girl," Gambit ordered. "Helmet off or I do it for you. Then we'll have a little talk about the play you're running outside."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

PP: 0 1

...Well this is both good and bad. On the one hand, they're now focused on her. On the other hand, they're also attacking. There's a simple answer to this, though: shove them away by warping them away. All she has to do is see and tap the important people: the ones who, due to proximity, connect to every other person in the mob in a chain of contact. And then...

This is a PP spent to use Senses and Teleport, my newfound Buddy dice, and Crowded Commuter Streets for 3d10 and 1d8.
Repelling an angry mob!: 3d10+1d8 22

...So unless Ferrus Mannus helped somehow, I think I failed. That's a 13 pool and a d10 effect die. Unless I...oh wait i didn't see the edit. Let's see if I get lucky!

I forgot a dice! Ferrus' Asset!: 1d8 5

...nope. Methinks I'm gonna get mauled.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Ferrus Manus
Once we switch to normal turn order, I'd need to react via the doom pool first to see if the asset is made - in this case, it was a 1/8 chance which doesn't effect much, so don't worry about it.
The staff finds its way to V107-A, but unfortunately it lies at her feet. Unsurprisingly, her concerns are elsewhere. For a moment it looks like she's going to reach for the staff, but instead she tries to teleport out of the crowd entirely...

V107-A
You do have the bigger effect die, which steps down the attack effect die - take d6 physical stress.
Despite the fast movement, the sheer size of the mob makes it easy for them to keep track of V107-A and, by the time you're close to the end, a clothesline makes it way onto you. Now a clothesline to an entirely metallic leaves little to show for it, but the grinding of metal against concrete for a good two meters is enough to make an impact. Before you can realign yourself, the crowd regathers around you, seemingly intent of using you as a dark trophy to herald in the new age - an Iron cross for an Iron revolution of venom.

HES
Is that an old gentlemen having a heart attack you notice in the crowd?

Meanwhile, by the van...
Gwenpool
"Do I look like a rookie to you? If I spill secrets then I won't be employable on any part of the East coast for being a snitch in this kind of business - the Hydra thing I have no idea about though. Any ideas?" He recognizes the hidden meaning, but doesn't budge - partially because he's been locked in place, and metaphorically as well. Some of the others begin to awaken, but none of them seem to have it in them to fight. None of the wakers to indicate they have the keys - perhaps it's the fellow you have pinned, or someone forgot?

Meanwhile, in the Gallery:
Taskmaster
"Oh - these were simply people I was hoping to show around the exhibits, and I was under the impression that they were art buyers. I honestly don't know if they are anymore - I'm pretty sure one of them was some kind of French bullseye?" She shrugs. "I'm sorry, I don't keep up with supermen or wonder women or whatever. By the way... Have you tried the sushi place down 6th avenue? I heard they do platters for two - if you're interested, of course."
More importantly, she's given the go ahead to complete the exchange - it's your decision whether or not to go through with it now or later.

Gambit, Jubilee
Fumbling around to try and find a button on the side of her helmet, the AIM Hornet takes her helmet off. Underneath is a blonde Irish lass with one too (three four) many freckles, a scar in between her right eyebrow and the taste of a little bit of whiskey on her breath. "I'm canny insulted you think we'd worth with Hydra - yer know they're fecking Nazis, right?" She looks around seemingly into nothing for a second, signalling she is still blinded. "Do you know if it's not just a hydra demo? I'd look myself but, well..." She attempts to glare at jubilee, but due to her misalignment she instead angrily locks eyes with a painting depicting the founding of the X-men as the Tree of Eden. The painting does not react.

Doom Pool: 1d8
Scene distinctions:
  • Sunny Day in New York
  • Crowded Commuter Streets
  • Set to Riot

Everyone, what do you do?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taskmaster

"Oh, I'm familiar with his work." Taskmaster nods, eyeing Gambit and Jubilee. "Decent execution today, too. Very nice." He tends to prefer Spider-Man and Daredevil for acrobatics, but anything to mix it up can be handy. With signs exchanged, it's best to get the work done sooner rather than later, so he can bug out if the girl needs him. Taskmaster reaches into his belt, pulling out a small bag. "I believe this is yours, and you have something of mine." Payment for the package. Once the exchange is made, he'll just need an exit strategy...

The girl seems to be doing well. Taskmaster pauses, turning towards the X-Men.

"My people on the outside have no idea what's going on with the demonstration, either." Which is to say, he's not hearing anything by bug, but always better to imply someone knows what you're doing and will be watching out for you. "My guess? Something hosed up, and big. These idiots just got caught up in it. What were you after, anyway? This is an art museum. Last I heard you lot were in the tech business, and the science demonstration was happening outside."

Pause, touch to ear.

"Oh, by the way, your backup's been neutralized."

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Ferrus Manus

This is bad, this is getting bad real fast and this is not something he should have had to deal with today. But what is left now?

The Girl is being held up, she hasn't been torn apart somehow she...

Dell felt small places in the back of his mind start making, unusual connections. The girl had powers? He needed anything in this situation, and would take anything going. He grasped it

Dell felt the crowd open for him like a flower "Is this, telepathy?"

He felt the crowd's mind, it was a beast the kind words offered by the girl had almost had an effect but the beast fought back, it was hungry for blood.

Dell was not psychiatrist, he did not have kind words to offer and he didn't have the means to do this calmly. But he had no choice left, if he didn't do this murder would be committed.

"I'm going to get into so much trouble for this." He reached out with his mind and gently entered the mind of the hivemind.

And then with experience gained from a lot of misspent years doing very bad things for science, he reached into the mind of every connected member of the network. And punched every pain receptor he could operate.

Dell is going to emotionally attack the crowd, by telepathically flipping on all the pain receptors in their minds. Buddy d8 is being used because I am Mimicing Viola, and the Mimic d10 power from Organometallic Vitalium to actually do the mimicing with. And he is combining a misspent youth as a Ex-Member of Real Bad Company with his Medical Expert trait, to know exactly what 'buttons' he needs to press to cause some immobilizing pain and shut the crowd down before they do any more damage. 3d8 and 1d10 dice total.

3d8+1d10 = [7, 3, 3] [10]

I'm going to get into so much trouble but it'll be worth it. Total 17 and effect dice d8

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 23, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

PP: 0
Stress: Physical d6

As best as she could to try to move them, she got a lariat of monstrous proportions. skidding along the ground, needless to say both the fabric of her suit and her face takes a solid scuffing and sparking. Needless to say, the suit's going to need patchwork. Meanwhile, the appearance of a new (potential) ally has gotten her spirits back up. She's not alone in this!

"I"m not sure who you are, but thank you! This is a bit more than I could handle on my own. If you could just keep them busy for a minute..."

Bringing herself to her feet, paying no mind to the current damage, she speaks up again to the crowd.

"Is that all you're capable of?! Blind rage? You make me sick. I thought you knew better, I know you do, but here you are, throwing it away to get some petty harm done to someone who just wants to help you. If that's how you're going to be, then perhaps it's time you faced reality. I was trying to shield you all from what you were being assaulted with, but now it's high time I cut you off from what you've become: a bunch of children crying together. I'm taking your toys away from you. Accept your punishment!"

This is Teleport (d10) + Psychic Resistance (d10) + Buddy (d10) + People are Puzzles (d8) + Psych Expert (d8) to force all of them apart from one another, block out each other's thoughts, and simultaneously inflict emotional harm.

INSULTS!: 3d10+2d8 18

God drat it. That's a 14 pool with a d10 effect die, and two Opportunities. I'm going to call the result of my opposition right now: 19+.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"I also know that AIM consults with anyone for the right price and that Ireland was neutral during World War II," Remy told her. "But you're indignant enough that even if you were working with them, your bosses probably didn't tell you. It's rough being on the bottom, no?"

He slowly stepped back from the Hornet and collapsed his staff back up. "Whatever's going on out there sounds pretty bad," he announced. "I guess we should take a peek, at least."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Dr. Jeffery Andrew Millman

Jeremy sighs as his foam does nothing weaken the crowd. The H.E.S. wasn't the tool of jackbooted thugs, it isn't designed to cause harm to others, its only purpose is to keep him safe from harm! However, it is harm he sees right further in the crowd as they begin to converge on someone. Leave it to a crowd to pick on one solitary individual and to leave the guy in the big robot suit alone. Was he really that non-threatening?

He only has one option, he has to go over and shield this person from the crowd.

Okay, going to try and make my way over to help out Viola. That's a d10 solo, d8 I do my best work alone, d8 reflexes, and d8 vehicle expert.

Coming to aid: 1d10+3d8 19

Okay, that's a 13, with a d8 effect die and one complication/opportunity thing. drat this game system has complex rules. I want to make the effect an asset to give to Viola to not get curb stomped?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 2 | XP: 1

“Protip!", Gwen exclaims, holding up a finger. "Find a new line of work. Do you know what happened to the first A.I.M. guys?” Gwen gets a pained look on her face, gesturing with open hands. “They were killed by their own androids, and not like, in a clean way, they got trampled to death by big, stinky android feet. I mean, if you have to be a bad guy, at least be a bad guy in Boise or some place there the Punisher doesn’t hang around in his creepy stalker van."

Looking at the chanting people around, she frowns. "Um, do you mind, I'm trying to teach a valuable life lesson here..." She ducks back into the van. "C'mon, tell me you at least have some rare drops."

She's looking for some cool stuff, just let me know if you want me to roll or drop a PP or whatever. Oh, and she's probably earning 1 XP for "You Come Right Out of a Comic Book!".

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Jubilee looks out the window overlooking the crowd outside. "I'll say!" she replies to Gambit. "It looks like they're going to kill that girl down there!" She forces the window open (which sounds an alarm, but she doesn't really care about that) and wiggles through it to jump down and help!

(That's her entire action for the panel, I'm pretty sure. It sounds like it would be.)

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Meanwhile, on the streets...
Ferrus Manus
Pain receptors no! (team, negative thinking as one for +1d6 doom, mental resistance): 6d6+1d4 11 effect d6 - that's a critical success, upping your effect die to d10, knocking out one of the team die which gets added to the doom pool. You also have 3 opportunities to play with.
Like thunder through water, the work on the pain receptors spreads through the rioters like wildfire. The forced hydra feel a life time of dirty work run through their system, with some going into unconsciousness in order to avoid the pain - in so doing, they free themselves from the hive mind.

V107-A
Do they feel insulted? (team dice, mental resistance, crowded commuter streets): 5d6+1d8 12 effect d8 - take 2 pp and I'll add d8 to the doom pool from your opportunities. d10 stress is more than enough to knock out a die, so they're down to 3d6.
The words find little resistance under the shock therapy (of sorts), and ricochet through the minds like an echo in a cavern. Various bad memories also seem to surge upwards - perhaps you are lucky to have been above the hive mind. But perhaps, by searching those memories, you may find something there...
A new unlockable has been found! More details will be given after the scene ends.

H.E.S
If you look to create an asset, I just need to roll with the doom die -if I don't beat your roll, the asset is made with size equal to the effect size - so if you succeed, you'll create a d8 sized asset V107-A (or someone else at the scene, as narratively appropriate) can add to their die rolls. Incidentally, taking into account the current doom pool: Asset reaction: 2d8+3d6 11 effect d6, granting 2 oppurtunities. Since and then I'll use your opportunity to add d6 to the pool, so have another pp.
Broken and battered, the crowd does little to resist you moving through the crowd. The foam rests uneasily as you part the waves of people, you can't help but wander - who was behind this? Aim? Hydra? The factors that would recreate this situation are 1 in six figures, at least - could they rely on a malfunction of... something? Would they rely on it? The potential victim is safe now - that is what matters.

Rioters
Though there aren't as many as there were before, there are still some who serve the cause. A contingent breaks off into the daylight, looking to exit the sordid scene before them.
Attempting to escape: 2d8+1d8+1d8 11 effect d8 - you can pursue or choose not too, your choice. Both will effect the outcome of the story in different ways.

Rioters stress/dice: team dice 3d6, emotional stress d10
New assets: V107-A: Bodyshield d8
Unknown timer: d4 [4 ticks]
Police arrival timer: d6 [3 ticks]

Meanwhile, by the van...
Gwenpool
"That was like thirteen years ago and- wait, how'd you know about that? Are you one of our vets or something? I mean, poo poo, if you are you must have joined pretty early and..."
As the attention is turned to the hydra group, the front man laughs a little and coughs. "Y-yeah, it's kinda distracting. Wander what it's about, though. Listen -" He pulls out his pocket one of J.Jonah Jameson's business cards as he says this - "I know the bugle is looking for caped reporters of some kind - I don't know if it's as a mascot or whatever, but if you let me and the guys go I'll vouch for you if you want the job considering your pizza van is, well..." He decides to continue on, rather than let the conversation lie.
"If you have some other kind of work lined up, I'm willing to bet a few of us would be willing to jump ship - we don't exactly carry resumes around, because, y'know."
The stragglers begin making their way to the van.
Yeah, the XP is yours. Are you going to let them go or not? If you do, a new unlockable will be made available. If you don't, you might get something else instead.

Meanwhile, up in the gallery...
Taskmaster:
"And I believe this is yours, you left it at the restaurant last night." Cassedy says, handing over a small usb marked "Project Ben" and an unmarked cassette tape - exactly what the doctor (at least, that's what the client called himself) ordered. "In any case, it-"

Jubilee
Exiting the scene via window, you hear the beats in your ears as the sandstone steps appear below you. Using an easily accessed pipe you slide down to the scene to find the following scene - a small girl being protected by a large suit, several people on the floor in various states of disarray, some destroyed public property and is that a radiation alarm going off? And what's with the foam? Did someone set off a fire extinguisher? You notice the group with the large bags from before are watching in the distance - just what are they planning?
Yeah - you're now officially within the streets section of the scene.

Taskmaster again, and Gambit
"...Alright then. That... Happened. ...Sir," She says, turning to Gambit. "Would you like to continue upon your niece's return or perhaps we should arrange for another time?"
--
As the pressure is placed off her back, Hornet sits up against one of the pillars, and begins to perform a scan on her systems. Beeps and pips come out of her suit, but she seems uninterested in fighting any further. "Feck me, some days..."

Doom dice: 2d8+4d6
Scene distinctions:
  • Sunny day in new york
  • Crowded commuter streets
  • Set to riot

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taskmaster

Taskmaster looks at the cassette and the USB. His client didn't instruct him not to look at them...and while he's a professional, he also likes to know who he's loving with, since revenge can be such a pain. He makes a note to check the data out later. "Thanks." He pockets them, looking over at the broken window. "She's jumpy, huh? Capes, man." He shakes his head sympathetically at Gambit. He looks over at the AIM agent. "So, what exactly were you guys after here? Explain this plan to me like I'm twelve. You come in, guns blazing, and plan to steal...what? A painting of Campbell's soup cans?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"Sorry you had to see this side of me," he told Cassedy with an apologetic bow. "I don't normally get physical the first time I meet someone, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Kid's run off, so..." he looked over to a random painting, " "I'll take that one before I go catch up. Can I have it delivered?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ferrus Manus

As the borrowed telepathy faded away from his mental processes, the real world came back into focus.

Risk assessment. Unknown gunmen are still present but that haven't done anything; HYDRA crowd is weakened but attempting to run, does the serum have a duration? And that man over there is having some issues, is he alright?

There are three other people here and me so...

"Doctor Millman can you do something for that man?"
"Young miss I think it's important we don't let the rioters escape into the city"
He looks at Jubilee "Have I seen you somewhere before."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PP: 2 | XP: 2

"My pizza van? Oh yeah. Mine. My pizza van." Gwenpool says as she pops out of the back of the van, taking the card and looking at it. "Jonah. Oh, man, hahahaha. I could do that, hahahahaa..." A slight pause, and her smile vanishes. "I mean I would take that job seriously, totally seriously, Jonah is a great man and I wouldn't even mention his Hitler mustache.", she deadpans. "Go ahead and recommend me!", she says with a grin. "And hey, give me your e-mail on the other side, I'll see if I can hook you up." She hops out of the van with a small duffel of things she's nabbed. Including the duffel. "Right now you should probably make sure none of these guys bleed out, though. Oh, and give me your name. Maybe you'll be a recurring character!" She grins, shouldering the bag, letting that statement remain enigmatic. Totally enigmatic. Play it cool, Gwen.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

By the Van...
Gwenpool
"A-Alright, yeah. You got a name I should pass on to JJ?" The front man says, a lot more confidence in his voice. At the request for details he scribbles down an email (based on the domain, it's obviously a throwaway), handing it over as he goes to check on his crew. "Name's Sam, by the way." It matches the name of the address, at least. As he loads the van up (choosing to politely ignore the stolen tech), he closes all but one door after finishing a conversation on his mic. "I'm gonna pick up our guys - you need a ride?"
Unlockable unlocked!

In the gallery:
Gambit
"Oh uh, certainly sir. Would you like a brochure for future reference?" She says, hurriedly marking down the painting which was mentioned. It seems she has different personality for different people - perhaps she knows Taskmaster from somewhere? In any case, you notice a tape of hers on the floor in a different style to the previously shown cassettes, labelled "Introspective" on what seems to be a Xavier institute branded tape - take it while she isn't looking or return it?
She's not exactly fully with it right now, so it'd be easy enough for you to take unnoticed without a roll.

Taskmaster
"Yer know the code - if it says mum in the contract, you keep it mum, y'know? I can't really give out company secrets like that" she says, seemingly focused on a tower block in the distance. "Unless you either have a really good offer, or some good whiskey. Or both. Both would be nice." She says wistfully, nursing he rib wound from the flight gone wrong.
"So what's it gonna be - booze, cash or the code?"

On the streets:
Ferrus Manus
No changes on any of the timers or the situation.
While waiting for a reply, a text comes in on your phone. If/when you decide to read it, the text says [spoiler for Ferrus Manus only]"Are Intellectuals your only friends? Maybe it's time for a career change! at aim, We Always make sure your iNtelligence is Taken seriouSly, with a surplus of research grants available as well as Yearly OppUrtunities for advancement. Contact AIM on this number for more details!"

Doom dice: 2d8+4d6
Scene distinctions:
  • Sunny day in new york
  • Set to riot

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gambit

"No, that's all right," Remy assured her, having slipped the tape into the inside of his pant leg. "Just take care of it, will you? These are my details and preferred people for delivery." He handed her a folded slip of paper with payment information and, more importantly, an account number for a shipping company. When the transaction went through, it would tell the newbies he was supposed to be casing the place for to hold off. Whatever brought AIM in, he didn't want those kids getting tangled up in.

His first impulse was to, of course, bolt and let things settle down... but Jubilee was out there and she was just a kid. The least he could do was to make sure she got out okay and had a place to wait for things to die down. Remy quickly made himself scarce, appearing beside Jubilee without a sound. "So what's your play, petite?" He asked, scanning the crowd. "Think we oughtta get outta here before things get too hot."

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

"If we're gonna run, at least go after those guys and make sure they don't cause trouble!" Jubilee is a bit annoyed at Gambit... he was always a bit self-serving but seriously, people in need!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

PP: 2 1

"I thank you for your assistance, Professor and new acquaintance, but I have a duty to these people. Please ensure the safety of Mr Fletcher until my swift return." She gestures towards her contact and then BAMFs. In an instant, she's placed herself in front of the remains of the mob. She puts on her best stern stare and starts stomping forward.

"I said to take your punishment. There are consequences for your actions, and I can't have you running away from them. Now then." She tilts her head and makes a cracking noise before looking back over at them, applying the same treatment she did before.

"What a bunch of weak-minded individuals. A flock of sheep that have lost their horns because someone said a few mean things to them. And at this point, can you truly call yourselves a mob? I think 'a group of individuals' is the best you can get. Use those brains and think about this for a second: why did only you few branch off and run away? Why aren't you with the rest of the pack, down on the ground like the rest of your allies? Because you're breaking apart. You've already splintered off into another branch and soon you'll keep breaking apart until there's nothing but individuals who can't even remember where they're from. Put an end to this nonsense already, you're an insult to those you left behind."

...Ouch. That stung to do. But hard truths and tough love are how you break things like this apart quickly and painlessly.

Here goes! Solo (1d6) + Psych Expert (1d8) + People are Puzzles (1d8) + Teleport (1d10) + Psychic Resistance (1d10) to again start forcing them apart and this time shame them for having run away from their allies until they submit.

GUILT TRIP: 1d6+2d10+2d8 28

Hot drat! I'm going to use a PP to get an astounding 19 dice pool and a d10 effect die. I think that takes care of that.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ferrus Manus

I am still here but I am waiting to see what H.E.S does first before I act myself.

And then this post will have actual stuff in it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Fair enough," Gambit nods, tracing the fleeing crowd with his eyes. "Try to keep up, then. We'll call it a race." Planting one foot on a nearby railing, he vaults from a balcony to a nearby rooftop in pursuit, then rounds a corner by swinging around courtesy of a drainpipe and running up a fire escape.

Parkour roll! 3d8 Enhanced Reflexes, Acrobatics Expert and World's Greatest Thief with 1d6 buddy for 13 with a d8 effect

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Gwen Poole.", she replies honestly, because seriously, that is her name as she steps into the van. "And sure!", she says, not really thinking through the consequences of being stopped in a van of evil A.I.M. agents bent on terrorism or at least one of the bad -isms. "So, who's in charge these days? Monica Rappaccini? Andrew Forson? M.O.D.O.K.?" How does she know all these names? "Good thing nobody's recording this, this'd be really incriminating! Ha ha."

Pulling out her phone, she texts to Cecil:

[u r gettin ll this y/n? ]

The roll to notice Taskmaster's bug is a Solo d10 + Trained by Youtube d8 + Covert Expert d8 = 5 with a d8 effect, no opportunities.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taskmaster

Taskmaster shakes his head. "I don't mind you keeping it a secret. I would, too. But then, I'm not a company man, either. Honestly, the pay's better if you go it alone...at least once you have the skills. Tell you what." He pulls out a business card and writes a bar's address down on the back. He flicks it over to the woman. "Meet me here for a drink. My treat. You can tell me about this job, I'll give you some pointers on going it alone and...ah, what the hell, a discount on my school. You seem like you've got a good head on your shoulders when you're not, you know..."

He gestures at the machine gun.

"...doing stupid poo poo. Just need some good tactical training, probably training in how to better pick your fights...but this is all, you know, if you want to go it solo. You stick with the company, there's not a lot I can do besides...well, give you better survival skills." He nods, then pauses as he listens to his bug.

Gwen Poole? Really?

Well, at least she didn't say 'Wilson', even if he'd bet money the name is fake anyway. Shouldn't be too hard to look her up anyway, since...well, it sounds like she might be onto the bug.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PP:2 XP:0

H.E.S. intercedes on the woman's behalf, shielding her from the crowd. As they break up and some start to flee, he looks at the strange woman, "Whatever do you mean? Do not go after them, if they are fleeing, then let them go. Law enforcement should be here..." He is unable to finish as the woman just vanishes from sight. The giant form of H.E.S. shrugs, and stands in position by this Mr. Fletcher. He was more than glad to save this woman's life, but if she was going to go off chasing those hoodlums down, then she only had herself to blame for whatever happened next.

The good scientist is waiting for the cops if the crowd has pretty much died down.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

"You're on, old man!" Jubilee shouts as she takes off after the crowd and an old friend.
Rolling to keep up with Gambit (and the crowd): d10 Buddy + d8 street-smart + d8 acrobatics: 14ed8

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Meanwhile, on the streets...
V107-A
Rioters seek to escape (d6 doom die boost): 4d8+1d6 15 effect d8, 1 opportunity. That turns the d10 emotional stress to d8 emotional trauma, more than enough to diffuse the mob. The last 2d8 are added to the doom die.
As the words reverberate through the link, you fell the bonds snap. Like the strings of a puppet, the crowd seems to fall to its knees, before entering various positions of disarray. It appears as if it would be possible to lower one's self without reaction into the heart of the crowd - it is strange, almost. After so many minutes as one, despite the fighting, it is interesting to be alone again...

Gambit, Jubilee
With 14 to 13, Jubilee can keep up with Gambit.
It's good to see Jubilee keep pace - for better or worse, it's almost like the team was back together. As you run together, you eventually come to an interesting scene - with most of the crowd knocked out, the woman whom they were after earlier looking on at them, seemingly unharmed. But there's no further signs of a conflict on the rioters either...

H.E.S
You notice a couple of things - for one, Mr Fletcher isn't breathing, Another, his hands are currently over his chest, and the third is that his skin is still relatively coloured. This is not a good sign. You overhear someone next to him on the phone, seeming to call the police - through the confusion and blubbering, it appears
In the distance, a woman can be spotted with a sprained ankle. Confused and distraught. "Is anyone here a doctor?!"

Ferrus Manus
It appears as if the unifying force has been broken - throughout the crowd, people wake up confused and distraught. A couple remember your time within the link and shy away, but mostly they look around at the metal scrap and relatively small damage with confusion. You notice the agents in a nearby van drive off in response to a call from someone else. Just what was supposed to go down today?

Meanwhile, by the Van...
GwenPool
As the van drives, the few in the back finally take a chance to relax and actually eat some of the pizza. Within the front, codename Sam drives up towards the side of the gallery. You notice a broken window, and from the window appears the Iron Hornet with a couple of folks.
"Currently this is M.O.D.O.K's crew but I don't recognize the last two names - I take it they were before my time? I do have to ask, though - why are you letting us go?"
[Whats your plan?] is the reply Cecil texts back.

Meanwhile, in the Gallery...
Taskmaster:
Taskmaster, I'll need a reaction roll for you having hidden the bug - if you win, she doesn't find it until later, otherwise she finds it.
"That's... awful kind of yer. Yeah, yeah." She takes the card, taking a second to rub her eyes underneath the visor before grabbing the card. "Does this time next week work for yer? I'm kinda booked for this week - well, if I don't get jailed an' all." She asks as she grabs her comrades, looking to the van below the window they entered from.
"Well uh, heheh, gotta run?"

Doom dice: 4d8+3d6
Scene distinctions:
  • Sunny day in new york
  • Set to riot (kind of irrelevant, but still there if people need it).

Timer 1: Fletcher timer >d6 (3 ticks remaining)
Timer 2: Police arrival >d8 (2 ticks remaining)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Well, you guys are always getting written by so many... I mean there are always splinter cells and rogue factions and metal gears and stuff. It's hard to keep track.", Gwenpool replies. "Let you go? Well, I mean, you're foiled, aren't you? There'll be more of you anyway. Except for Sam! He's Sam now." She points to Sam as if, previously, he had not been. Nodding to herself firmly, she then looks back to her phone, texting back with one thumb.

[ um, plan? ]

That's to be expected at this point, really.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Taskmaster
PP: 3, XP: 1

First up, my roll: D10 asset from my original planting, d4 and a PP from Top-Rank Mercenary since Gwen's read my poo poo and knows what I use, Covert Master d10.
5 and a d4 effect die, plus an opportunity. Gwen finds that bug.

Taskmaster tosses off a casual, two-finger salute. "No problem. Like I said, you seem smart, just...doing stupid poo poo. Talk to you later."

Step one, now: get out, deliver the package.

Step two: Make contact with...'Gwen Poole.' With luck she'll be like Wade and dumb enough to be in the phonebook.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ferrus Manus
PP: 0, XP: 2? (I've used it to copy some physical stats, and Viola's Telepathy, I think that's two on 'Always Read to Learn')

That's one thing gone, the text can wait it's probably from Cage or something. Dell heads over to H.E.S. "Afternoon Doctor, good speech you did" he said nodding at him, and kneels down next to the Mr Fletcher.

"Give him a little space please" He said to the man on the phone, "I'll see what I can do." Right, right, basic CPR, they taught that in his former workplace at least.

Go through the motions, find out what is wrong with Mr Fletcher. He looked around to see if no one was watching, he didn't mind an audience so much but well he felt a bit better if no one saw. He took off the gloves and revealed the shiny metallic flesh beneath, and went through the motions of emergency aid.

Dell's gonna administer some Medical aid to Mr Fletcher, to at least find out what is currently wrong with him, probably administer some CPR. H.E.S is right there so I think I can use my Buddy Dice d8, with Multi-disciplined Expert d8 and Medical Expert d8 for a pool of 3d8 total.

3d8 = (5, 2, 5)

Hmmm, not bad, that's a total of 10 and a d8 effect dice

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Looking right behind him, Gambit saw that Jubilee was close behind. Kid clearly had been working out or something. He pointed down to the mysterious woman and put a finger to his lips as he watched from a nearby rooftop.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PP:2 XP:0

The man had no pulse, this wasn't good at all. Jeffery presses a button and soon the H.E.S. opens up around him, letting him out; the work he was bout to do would be too delicate for the H.E.S. He kneels down next to the man and checks his vitals again. He wanted to make a mcCoy like joke, "I'm an engineer, not an M.D.!" but decides not to. Instead he tries his best at C.P.R.

Okay, dice pool is 1d10 solo, 1d8 for "I do my best work alone" and 1d10 for science master. CPR: 2d10+1d8 18
That's 14 with a d10 effect die.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

XP: 1 (I assume seeing as I did make that emotional appeal early on. And forgot about it.)
PP: 1

Whew... Crisis averted, and with only minor damages! Wait...damages...[Viewing objective list..."Protect Mr Fletcher."] A "gasp" escapes her as she heads back to his side, alongside the doctor. Scans show no breathing, and dropping vital signs. This is bad. But not as bad as the fact that her Empathy Drive needed a reboot, lest horrible things happen should she try to help. She takes a moment and slumps over, beginning the reboot process.

I'd like to take a recovery action to clear out my Hivemind complication.

[Restarting OS in 3...2...1............] Her body goes limp and looks not unlike a depowered animatronic. [Main Power restored. System check initiated. V107-A Empathic Droid Shell v0.8.4.2. Main CPU: Online. Targeting system: Online. Scanning systems: Online. Threat Detection Suite: Online. Empathy Drive: Online. All systems nominal. Opening photo receptors and accepting input in 3...2...1....]

And just like that, color returns to her eyes and her body snaps back into position. Time to check on Mr Fletcher.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Jubilee nods, staying quiet. At some point she'll have to corner him and ask how he's been, and what he's been up to that won't make her an accessory for hearing about.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Meanwhile, with Mr. Fletcher...
Ferrus Manus and H.E.S.
Doom die against prevention (reduced die used due to ????): 2d8+1d6 9 effect d8.Therefore, the fletcher timer steps back to d4. CPR - Assisted, doom die reduced by ?!: 2d8+1d6 9 effect d8, + oppurtunityA crit success! That clears the timer entirely.
Between the two of you, the blockage seems to be sorted and the old man breathes life once more. Though he slow to realign himself with reality, when he does he shares symptoms with the others - uncertainty, obliviousness, and a distinct feeling that he's forgotten something important...
"W-where am I?"

Viola
As your system reboots, you find yourself reaching a digital calm, as a sea of binary washes over your empathy drive. Once reset to neutral, you notice the memories of what happened organize themselves into a subfolder-which turns into an executable? What? It's icon takes the form of a smile... Perhaps this can be investigated later. It appears your client is back up on his feet - or at least alive - thanks to the help of the suit wearer and the gentleman from earlier.

Gambit and Jubilee:
Taking point above the chaos, you can observe whatever the others do and react accordingly. While you're perched, you also find an old cassette player which can fit the tape you stole from Miss Joint.

Meanwhile, at the gallery...
Gwenpool
Hold on... There's a bug! If it was one of those spider-tracers Peter uses, it would be easier to identify. As is isn't, you're not too sure, but you may have suspicions. As the bug is discovered, Sam stops outside the gallery and calls up. "Just below!"
[Bug them, sell info? Play it cool? Try and break the van? ur call] comes the reply.

Taskmaster
Offering a short courtesy, the AIM Hornet takes the two out of it agents and flies the group into the van waiting below, leaving behind a few small scorch marks. Perhaps it was a good thing the client was filling out paperwork for a delivery, rather than seeing this. The cost for the academy wouldn't be pretty, however. But, perhaps that's for another time - mission accomplished, now for deliverance. And then, if everything went to plan, pay.

Returning to Gwenpool
Once inside the van, the group closes the doors behinds them and begins to settle back down. As they take seats, the Hornet gives Sam an odd look "How come she's ridin' with us?"
"Veteran AIM, we're giving her a ride. Knew a bunch of old directors before MODOK, you know?"
"Are you sure? She looks kinda green-"
"And she handed our asses to us, let it go."
An awkward silence fills the car before the engine starts.
[Anything you need me do on my end?]

Doom dice: 4d8+3d6
Scene distinctions:
  • Sunny day in new york
  • Set to riot (kind of irrelevant, but still there if people need it).

Police Arrival timer > d10 (1 tick remaining - unless there's anything major people want to do, I'll be fine with ending the scene after this tick and moving to the transition scenes.)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Ferrus Manus
PP: 0, XP: 2

The scene was clear all problems were dealt with and there were no more visible threats. He could hear sirens in the distance however and decided that, maybe he didn't want attention from the police right at this moment. They might ask questions he couldn't answer

He nodded to Doctor Millman, "Thank you for helping me with this doctor."

He got up and dusted himself off, retrieved his groceries that amazingly weren't stolen in the intervening drama.

And then he ran like buggery.

Leaving the scene, do I have to roll at all?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

XP: 1
PP: 1

The world regains its color, and with it, clarity. Clarity to be aware of her client suddenly breathing again. She approaches his side almost immediately.

"Mister Fletcher. How glad I am that you're alright. We have much to discuss, although I understand if you require rest." She looks back over at the man's savior. "Doctor, I cannot thank you enough for your work. I apologize for hijacking your presentation equipment, but it was necessary to divert the crowd's attention."

Police sirens from afar begin entering her audio sensor range. Evidently there'd be a lot of questions needing answers, but she'd rather not get involved in that at the moment. Not when she's got a VIP.

"It would seem our time alone here is short. If you require transportation, Mister Fletcher, I can provide it."

She offers a hand and a smile to her client. If he knows of her, then he'd know of her capabilities. If not, it'll simply be a pleasant surprise that they're no longer around when things get heated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

[ i was going to see who their boss and secret hideout was, but modok lol nope ]

"You can just drop me off at the Daily Pla- er. I mean. Um. Bugle. And good luck with the ruthless terrorism and trying to take over the world!", she says, scratching her back and pulling out the bug surreptitiously, peeking at it before just folding it into her hand. "And yeah, I totally remember Lyle Getz before he got MODOK'd. Did you know MODOK used to have a C in it, for Computing? But he didn't like being labelled, and well. Pro experiment there."

"But yeah, just let me out partway and I'll go see the DB. Thanks, guys!"

[ yeah, got a mission for you ]

[ a serious mission only you can handle ]

[ find out why jonah named his paper after a corn snack ]

• Locked thread