Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've really been feeling burned out on civ vi recently, but am still craving this type of game. Does anyone have good things to say about the more recent similar games? Humankind, old world, millennium etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Millenium seemed a ton of fun during the demo. There's a neat little resource system, where you slowly turn stuff into fancier stuff as you progress.

While picking your nation is meaningless (it changes your flag and city names), there seems to be a ton of flavour to wring out of the National Spirit system (kinda like Civ5's culture trees, except they're all tied to a specific resource). It's currently my most anticipated game, and I desperately hope they don't fumble the AI too much when it releases tomorrow.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Later this year, Ara : History Untold will be released.

Ara and Millenium could both be contenders to finally steal the Civ crown.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

John F Bennett posted:

Later this year, Ara : History Untold will be released.

Ara and Millenium could both be contenders to finally steal the Civ crown.

Gameplay-wise, possibly, but it's a niche of a niche competition, and I doubt either can make a dent in Civ7's eventual numbers.

I really want Civ to face some serious competition for 7, because their trajectory from 4 to 6 doesn't leave me with much hope.

E:

This was a dumb post, disregard.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It might not have been properly timed for the post you replied to, but it's a fair sentiment. Two steps forward one step back is still progress, even if a frustrating one.

None of the other 4Xs I've played have been been able to challenge Civ due to what I feel in hindsight is 'lategame play' - once you've already dumped ten-plus hours into getting good at the game and are now doing your second playthrough, is it still engaging? Does the competition provide enough tension, is the minutiae still fun? These are all valid criticisms of civ5 & 6, but in the other games it's just so much worse. I love ES2 to bits but the computer players can't build a military worth a drat much less aim for a victory condition, while various other 4Xs-of-the-day are just shoddy shallow junk.

It's probably a very expensive genre to make a quality game in, honestly.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I got a solid 20-30 hours out of Humankind. It hits the same itch but doesn’t scratch it nearly as well but could be a good change of pace if you grab it on sale.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got Millenia pre-ordered. I really enjoyed that demo and like what they're going for, and any 4x dev that remembers Call to Power's "resource pool used for building improvements instead of loving around with workers" design absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I have way more faith in this new game than Amplitude with Humankind, I fuckin hated that thing. Civ killer my rear end, glad I didn't spend money on it apart from Game Pass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old World is the best Civ like since Call to Power II. It's biggest strength is its focusing down into one smaller period and place, this is also its greatest weakness compared to Civ.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sioux posted:

Anyone ever co-opped this game? Theoretically it's PvE /and/ PvP, of course, but if you're in a voice chat with the other player I'm sure you could be allies and bully all other civs while creating really cool and cooperative civ's with the other player, with open borders, a lot of trade etc. I wonder though how boring it would be to wait through the other players turn.

I've done a fair bit of co-op. It's a bit weird. You can't really affect one another that much. You share vision (except vision based on suzerainty), and when one of you gets a tech/civic it's boosted for the other. Other than that it's like you weren't on the same team, though there are a few things you can do to cooperate. You can do beneficial trades with one another (giving extra copies of luxuries, financing one another during times of crisis, etc.), you can defend one another, you can do alliances (which only really have a benefit if you can trade with one another, so that's geography dependent), you can cooperate on voting, and you can avoid building the same wonders at the same time. You essentially can't cooperate on science or culture victory, which are basically the only victory types that I (or my friend who I co-op with) find fun. In the late game, whoever is doing worse can't do much besides funnel money to whoever's doing better to slightly hasten their victory.

Meanwhile, the AI, when teamed up together, does not act as if they are on a team. They'll boost each others' techs and civics, but that's about it. They don't vote together, making the world council kinda stupid. They don't come to one another's defense. Afaik they don't send each other money in times of crisis or otherwise make beneficial deals with one another. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see an AI player start building a wonder that their partner is already building.

So we treat the game more as a sandbox that we're both playing in together rather than a serious struggle for victory. We usually stop playing after a few hours and when it comes time to play again, rather than load our save we just start a new game.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gaius Marius posted:

Old World is the best Civ like since Call to Power II. It's biggest strength is its focusing down into one smaller period and place, this is also its greatest weakness compared to Civ.

Agreed. Besides Civ it is by far my most played game in the genre. Humankind is next after that. Old World is a masterfully executed slice of history. Humankind is a gankily executed game with a massive, interesting scope. They’re both fun in their own way.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

DontMockMySmock posted:

So we treat the game more as a sandbox that we're both playing in together rather than a serious struggle for victory. We usually stop playing after a few hours and when it comes time to play again, rather than load our save we just start a new game.

Honestly that's kind of me when I play Civ solo as well. I rarely keep playing to see any end-game. I really like exploration and once that's gone the game is less fun for me. I do want to try a military victory though and a space victory some time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For a military game, keep the game small at 6 players max, avoid continents, and if keeping it land-based I'd highly suggest Basil II, as his gimmick of combining religion and knights is cool and zany strong. Read up on the wiki for the particulars of that interaction if you want, but once he gets rolling it's a very short sprint to victory, unlike most other domination wins. Can optionally do archipeligo for a naval win, allows for a bigger/slower game and lets you really appreciate how good harbours are.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I like coming back to this every now and then. I wish there was a "Profile" or something I could look at to see which leaders I've played with before and how many times I've won with each. I don't know why, I just like seeing my numbers

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Drone Incognito posted:

I like coming back to this every now and then. I wish there was a "Profile" or something I could look at to see which leaders I've played with before and how many times I've won with each. I don't know why, I just like seeing my numbers
It's in your hall of fame, which is under 'additional content' from the main menu?

If you've changed computers it's only for your current one though.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 6, 2024

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Ah that's it. New computer. Thanks!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Civilization is really two games, if not more. The first one ends when borders become set and your elbows are bumping into all your neighbors. I find that portion of the game the most fun and often stick to it and restart as with Civ the snowball effect is huge and so it’s just a question of whether to conquer, win by culture, or go to space.

But that first bit scales really well with difficulty and you get to discover new areas and imagine the cities you can put there and see them grow and specialize. That hits the itch.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah. Capturing that magic in into second half of the game remains elusive. It feels like there isn't quite enough puzzle solving to keep it interesting and fun (or too much tedium to detract from what puzzle solving there is). And it somehow needs to remain competitive to keep the player on the edge of his seat.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't abandon games and restart when it happens, but I do agree that the game gets a lot less fun right around the time you build your first factory. The game is won at that point, getting to the end is more or less just a formality, a formality that takes like a hundred turns still. I think I might like a game like civ that just stretches out the ancient, classical and maybe medieval eras into a full length game with victory conditions, but idk if one exists. I guess going for a religious victory is kind of that, but religious victories suck rear end to play because they're just domination with weird lovely rules and only 3 unit types.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mymla posted:

think I might like a game like civ that just stretches out the ancient, classical and maybe medieval eras into a full length game with victory conditions, but idk if one exists.

I haven't actually played it myself, but I think that's what Old World might be?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Millennia also experiments with alternate, much earlier victory conditions (literally victory ages, if you're running away with the game you can attempt to end it early by going for and succeeding at one of them)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mymla posted:

I don't abandon games and restart when it happens, but I do agree that the game gets a lot less fun right around the time you build your first factory. The game is won at that point, getting to the end is more or less just a formality, a formality that takes like a hundred turns still. I think I might like a game like civ that just stretches out the ancient, classical and maybe medieval eras into a full length game with victory conditions, but idk if one exists. I guess going for a religious victory is kind of that, but religious victories suck rear end to play because they're just domination with weird lovely rules and only 3 unit types.

You could crank the game speed down to marathon and then, at the end of the medieval era, if you have certain metrics you can use to determine when actually winning is just a formality, declare it won there and then. Would be interesting to brainstorm some such metrics actually.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The really early game on marathon is just too slow to be interesting at all, and I often find myself just rerolling marathon games until I get a start with at least one good production tile just so it doesn't take 47 turns to get a scout out.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I haven't actually played it myself, but I think that's what Old World might be?

Thanks for the tip, it looks pretty cool. Might check it out when I have time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah that's almost exactly what it is. Probably the best "traditional" 4x outside of Vox Populi Civ 5 imo.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Speaking of civ 5 vp do any of you know what the most feature complete version of JFD DLC would be? Been playing civ6 and millennia and I keep coming across features that remind me of it but the steam version seems like it was paused in the middle of a huge rewrite with most features temporarily disabled

The loyalty system they added to civ 6 was pretty similar to the loyalty system in the now no longer working cities in development module, and I think the mod might have actually predated it https://civilization-v-customisation.fandom.com/wiki/JFD%27s_Cities_in_Development

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 8, 2024

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Xerol posted:

The really early game on marathon is just too slow to be interesting at all, and I often find myself just rerolling marathon games until I get a start with at least one good production tile just so it doesn't take 47 turns to get a scout out.

I never understand how other civs seem to be pushing out military units and settlers like no tomorrow, and eventually have a big empire while I usually have like three or four good cities near each other and then eventually decide (whether provoked or not) to start a war with two or three heavy hitters and start taking some cities. I never play on higher than chieftain though. Some of the cities I take even get left with no garrison for a long time because I do not have the resources to pump out units. I am too busy building buildings and squares and stuff. Usually what the advisors want. Are the AI civs better at production for them to do both?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Sioux posted:

Are the AI civs better at production for them to do both?

Civ AI makes up for its inferior thinking by getting major production bonuses, yes. I think Prince is the base level at which you’re actually equal, and above that they just get things like free settlers, extra production bonuses, stuff like that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Even at prince the computer player gets small bonuses to unit production and especially maintenance; as a dev explained, it's very hard to figure out which central cities don't need a garrison and can be left naked like human players do, so the comp players just needs units everywhere. In addition, the comp player has a much stronger bias to cranking units over infrastructure, as you'll notice when conquering their shitholes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE BAR posted:

Been playing a bunch of two player coop, hotseat through Remote Play. It works perfectly fine, and you completely cut out any desyncs or other online gaming issues.

From a while back, but our desyncs largely went away when we switched hosts to the person with the slowest CPU after it was recommended in some steam guide or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Kanfy posted:

From a while back, but our desyncs largely went away when we switched hosts to the person with the slowest CPU after it was recommended in some steam guide or another.

Yeah this has been our experience as well. Intuitively I expected the other way around, with the host computer having more work to do, but apparently not.

Unfortunately the AI turns are about thrice the length this way.