Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I like it when a Civ's leaders, abilities and uniques represent different periods in that Civilization's history. For example Germany's stuff all reflects different periods. UA Furor Teutonicus representing the Germanic tribes that opposed Rome's expansion. Landsknecht and Hansa from the medieval time when Germany was a bunch of different countries unified as Holy Roman Empire. Bismarck represents late 1800's when Germany was unified into a single state and became a major player in European politics. And finally Panzers from WW2.

I also find Civs that have all their unique things from the same approximate era to be dull, but I understand that it is necessary for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm being extremely triggered by those fonts :stare:

They are the actual fonts (and Civ colours) used in those games. Doesn't make it any easier to read, but that's the reason.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Cowman posted:

I read somewhere that they also had tile specific buildings and upgrades, as in observatory is only on a mountain and pyramids on desert. I like this idea a lot but I'm really concerned about :

I'm assuming that wonders take up a space, but are not counted as districts, so building wonders doesn't limit the number of districts you can build but does limit the number of hexes you can place them. Fortunately each city has 36 hexes to choose from, so it shouldn't be a problem unless you really want to build all the wonders in the same city.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Cowman posted:

to be fair in my casual playstyle the capital is always wonder city where I have literally every wonder in there.

Makes sense. I actively try to build wonders in different cities because I think it looks prettier, it's not fair that only citizens living in the capital have access to wonders :downs:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Kajeesus posted:

I'm playin a game of the board game Civilization with some friends later. Does anyone have any good playlists of ambient and Civvy music that would go well with it? We've already done Civ soundtracks, obviously.

If you've already done Civ soundtracks, how about other stuff done by Civ composers? Can't go wrong with Christopher Tin's Calling All Dawns album.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Omnicarus posted:

Actually, speaking of that: Bring Back the palace! Bring Back the Palace! Bring back the Palace!

This is the one feature I'd most like to see return in a future Civilization game. This and live action advisors.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Right but I still don't buy the link between Civ-in-game, sales-in-country.

(For what it's worth I don't care about the regional representation in the game, I'm only taking issue with this particular theory)

IIRC, Brazil and Indonesia were added to Civ5 specifically because those countries are formidable markets for games. I don't know whether their inclusion boosted sales in those countries, or if they were included because there were a lot of Civ players from those countries already. Nevertheless, regional sales and representation do walk in hand in hand somewhat, but it's hard to say which causes which.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Kurtofan posted:

Funny that Rome can't build aqueducts

Yeah, it's kinda weird decision to replace the most Roman non-unique building with something that historically required aqueducts to provide water. I'm not saying that baths is a silly unique, I'd just want to see Roman cities with both.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

The Human Crouton posted:

Evolution of Civ VI music from ancient to modern era. This is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlxSgOEZrk

Wow. This is brilliant!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Delacroix posted:

Buildings and support units change aesthetics as you progress through eras. Civ 4 did this too.

It just feels the change in aesthetic comes way too early.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Eiba posted:

Were you watching Quill18? He greatly emphasized science and kind of rushed to flight when he saw it was possible which put him in the modern era ridiculously early. He finished the whole tech tree in the 1800s.

I was and apparently zoned out on the rushing to flight part. Now the sudden appearance of trucks and skyscrapers amidst musketmen makes more sense.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Civ5 had different tile sets for different continents, some of them were more readable than others.

Does Civ6 have continental variation in graphics? I don't think I've noticed any.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hogama posted:

Speaking of Civ VI and music...

Industrial American theme.
Medieval French theme.
Modern Japanese theme.
Industrial Aztec(?) theme.
(Uploader thought it was Brazil at first on the last one, but their theme appears to be based on Brejeiro, which this isn't.)

drat these are good. I wasn't going to start with Japan, but listening to that track convinced me otherwise.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Phobophilia posted:

The Meiji Emperor would be pretty cool for a civ that could basically suck the techs out of everyone around him, which means that he could focus on other developments, at the cost of getting any first-to bonuses. So he would be awful at wonderspam. The criticism is that he had a serious lack of executive power, unlike most other civ "leaders". Not like that means much, it's not like Gandhi wielded executive power lol.

Japan already has Meiji Restoration as civilization ability, and Peter the Great has bonuses to catching up technologically. I don't see what Emperor Meiji could bring to the table.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

IcePhoenix posted:

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, it boils down to "I don't know why they can't play, they used to have an embargo but don't anymore so hopefully they get the game soon!"

The article even straight up skipped over Syria and Eritrea.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Do we know what the achievements are going to be?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Ran into the weirdest bug. In my current game as Pericles, there is also an AI Pericles. I learned this when he declared war on me. About 20 or so turns before we met and I got the new civilization encountered screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
It's really strange that we still don't get the Ottomans, considering it was one of the first civilizations teased before the game was released and Janissaries already exist in the Polish scenario.