Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Cythereal posted:

I don't, however, think it works as well for a mainline historical Civilization game unless they're going for a more traditionally linear tech tree that also incorporates leaf techs off the linear stems.

Why not? Technological development as a deterministic linear thing is considered pretty outmoded these days, it'd be cool if we can get a game where you could have Mesoamerican and Andean civs poo poo on Europe from an agricultural and textiling perspective and not be considered "behind" in the same way because of their lack of iron. It'd be cool if there are multiple ways you could progress your civilization.

e: conversely I agree about it having been confusing as all gently caress in Beyond Earth, but now they have the A-team working on it we might get a better UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
More Indian civs would be nice. When we have Babylon and Assyria as unlinked to Iraq I don't see why we can't have the Mauryans or whatever as another distinct civ from India. It'd also be nice if they gave them a different tileset than the East Asian one this time around.

Nine of Eight posted:

Reminder, Firaxis has no balls

it's not like any of the other leader blurbs aren't just fellatio of the highest order either. it's always supposed to be about how the civ you're about to play was the coolest poo poo ever

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
a game as mainstream as civ is also a great way for less well known cultures to get into the popular consciousness

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
atlantis and some fantasy civs for a dlc would be pretty rad though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Cythereal posted:

Well, Firaxis said about BNW that they prioritize iconic or prominent female leaders when they can because there's so few of them throughout history and a great many civilizations don't have any at all. They specifically cited Wu Zetian as an example who's unlikely to go away - she's popular enough with the modern-day civilization she represents, is a rare female leader for east Asia, and earned the game's billing from history.

So I'd be surprised if Catherine goes away anytime soon.

Queen Seondeok for Korea would be cool especially since she has the raddest crown

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Tomyris is cool and I'm glad more people will learn about her now but I was really not expecting the Scythians (who historically did approximately gently caress all) as one of the first civs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
They've already added the Scythians to VI and they were pretty much just as marginal as the Inuit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Gort posted:

Sure. But it's been "discussed" to death, it's pretty much entirely subjective, and if any genre's graphics matter less than the others, it's strategy games.

:gary::wrong::yarg:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Considering what makes a Civ "unique" in these games is a couple of units/buildings and and abilities, I don't think it should be hard to find enough for any culture. Going on a world-conquering spree isn't the only thing that makes a culture relevant or interesting.

Especially for a civ like the Inuit/any arctic natives where they'd have a pretty cool unique mechanic in the form of snow poo poo (why are some of you against this? it's a totally unfilled niche throughout the series) I think there's a much stronger case for them than Yet Another European Civilization.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Realtalk I would have loved a Timurid civ for central Asia almost as much as Scythia. Central Asia doesn't get enough love in these games.

In fact, give us both. If we can have Rome, the Byzantines, and the Ottomans all at once, we can have Scythia and the Timurids. Make it happen, Firaxis.

They had Mongols and Huns in Civ V, who are markedly more similar than Scythians and Timurids (who lived 2000 years apart) were. Timurids would be a pretty cool civ yeah.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The new leader portrait styles are an order of magnitude or two more labor intensive to produce than a Civ 3 portrait plus all of its era variants put together.

It's a shame about the lack of backgrounds though, but a lot of people had issues with those taking forever to load in Civ 5. Still you'd think they could have something more dynamic than the still image they're going with now yeah

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Considering they were Iranic yeah probably not. The civ team has always been pretty lazy about research on these kinds of things.

e: there actually are real names they could have used for some Scythian settlements iirc too, Herodotus names them

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If it's Gorgo for Greece then who the hell is Pericles for

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I guess of all the civs to have two leaders for to start with I'm not mad it's Greece. A shame they went with two roughly contemporaneous ones rather than having like Gorgo and Agamemnon or something though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^e: is she on a different list? I don't see her there

monster on a stick posted:

Is this the first Civ game without Rome or the Mongols?

There is Rome, Trajan was a Roman emperor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Trajan brought the empire's borders to their greatest extent, not really a weird leader to pick.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I meant this chart

Oh I hadn't seen that. Where was it leaked from?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

monster on a stick posted:

Or maybe Septimus Severus.

lmao if they included a black emperor as the leader of the Romans the internet would flip their poo poo even more than they're doing over the female leaders.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Kurtofan posted:

the tomyris portrait also comes from an halloween website

http://takebackhalloween.org/tomyris/

Take back halloween

I'm pretty sure it's just an illustration from a DK book or some poo poo that the halloween website ripped. I've seen it before in other places. OTOH I'm pretty sure it's not even supposed to be Tomyris.

Considering these are just references for the developers though it's pretty harmless wherever they got it from

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
:eyepop:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I love the leader screens. The two themes for each leader and the dialogue and poo poo made the civs in 5 feel a lot more alive than if they were distilled down to a couple of units and abilities and nothing else. I'm kinda pissed at the eurocentrism this time around on launch but I'm happy to wait if it stays good quality.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The official civs are several cuts above what modders can do in terms of quality. Even for Civ V the very best leader mods don't look as good, as the official ones, and they're even more complex to create now.

People blame game companies/ publishers for making it hard to mod for the past 8 years or so for why there haven't been so many gigantic overhauls as there used to be, and while that's part of it, its also just that creating assets for AAA strategy games that look the part is generally beyond the skill level of your average teenager these days. Things were a lot simpler 10-15 years ago.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Powercrazy posted:

"Creating assets" is the least important part of moddability though. Civ4 was incredibly moddable and art assets were easily referenced. The quality of those assets has nothing to do with the moddability of the game though.

Uh, well okay, so in your opinion what actually is the important part of modability then? Because we actually have been getting stat changes even in some of the least moddable strategy games out there these days.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Hearts of Iron 4 does espionage the best out of any game I know. It's just a series of encryption and decryption techs; how much you've researched relative to your enemies dictates how much information on them you can get, and how much they can get on you. No constant micromanagement with spies, or bullshit effects like locking down your cities/ killing your leaders/ causing rebellions etc like so many other games have, but still significant rewards because that information is very important.

In Civ where poo poo like demographic information doesn't matter nearly so much I guess you wouldn't be able to do a system that's totally the same, but I think something similar might be possible.

e: Shogun 2 Total War is a close second because the ninja assassination videos you'd get were sweet

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I haven't got it yet; how does the music in this game work? I see there's a short song for each era for each civ, does it mix that into a more general soundtrack too?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
gently caress yes, Queen Seondeok.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I really don't care for their 50-50 female leaders target but I do love the frothing rage it produces in people who do care. Make them all women, IMO

And make all the great people women

lotsa butthurt Koreans, it's pretty depressing. Seondeok was character assassinated under the (viciously patriarchal) Joseon because surely there can't have been a good Queen?? but the academic understanding has done a pretty thorough 180 on that over the past few decades. I guess that hasn't really permeated out though. Or maybe people just wanna be mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Seondeok was actually cool & good and not 2nd or 3rd rate at all. It's also nice to mix things up from the exclusively Medieval rulers they've given to Korea in past games, and Seondeok is a good choice for that especially when Goguryeo rulers like Gwanggaeto probably wouldn't make it past Chinese censorship.