Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I really love their direction of the geography of the land dictating production and research bonuses.

Also seems like the direction they are going with AI civs seems reasonable enough to pull off. Hopefully it amounts to interesting alliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The point of pet civs is not cultural awareness. It is for enslaving and loving their poo poo up. Hell yeah if I am China I am going after Tibet.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Geight posted:

Privateers were the coolest in Civ IV.

They really should flesh that out so we can have concepts like borders wars and other minor conflicts rather than going all out to wipe a civ off the map.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Random events would be better if they were tied to a minor story or quest ie an expedition is proposed that you chose to fund. Make a few decisions and they bring back the plague or a technology.

Basically Castles II style if anyone remembers that game.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 11, 2016

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I really like their idea that each Civ has a known agenda along with a random one built into their AI. I think that will have a much greater impact than the other stuff which generally doesn't amount to much.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Dang modern cities look sweet.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I like the idea of Ghengis Khan spawning somewhere with a ton of horsemen as an example of a "city state" rather than the lovely one city implementation in Civ V. Basically city states should be random events with very unique traits rather than neutered normal civs.

But it sounds like we are getting the envoy system which so far sounds alright I guess.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Considering how walls work now you'd think they would be able to do something similar with canals in an expansion.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I guess it really depends on what the random second secret traits are like. Have any examples of those been given yet?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Not sure what I was expecting but I am disappointed by the eurekas from how I understand it. I feel like it will cause me to base too many build and improvement decisions on that factor almost always.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think people are over estimating the impact agendas will have on the AI, especially on victory conditions.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What are the best hex games out there these days? Been a long time for me.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I want even more European civs, boners.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I will buy it at release because I have a job that pays me money.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Could luxuries also be a limit on going wide due to the 4 city limit per resource?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't understand the argument to mess with tech costs instead of eurekas. Whatever changes you make to test costs will have an impact on the effectiveness of eurekas. I already find the idea of having to follow a eureka plan annoying. Messing with tech costs makes them even more must have.

For simplicity sake reducing the bonus to 25% seems ideal. When I initially heard of eurekas I thought they would be much harder to obtain though and thus much more rare.

I might be in the minority but I wish the conditions for a Eureka were slightly randomized and or hidden behind events. Like say every time you build a coastal city it gives you a chance to earn a seafaring type tech eureka.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think they did a great job in Civ design. Most feel overpowered but it can be in very different ways.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

Cant find it on the workshop

I assume meant Real Strategy AI mod as it’s usually a discussion on that one or AI+

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am reading Sids memoir and he first realized he might have something when his little brother disappeared for 6 hours playing a prototype version.

Then it spread like fire at Microprose and he just kept stapling in all the ideas from staff that made sense. He originally had land mines in the game but could never get the AI to place them correctly or prevent blowing themselves up.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ah I wasn’t wasting my time, I was watching tv too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sorry if mentioned here already but wow did Avalon Hill screw up in the Civilization rights debacle according to the story in Sids memoir.

Sid claims Avalon Hill and Microprose were on good terms with Civilization despite the board game and played nice when distinct computer games were made. But then Avalon Hill partnered with Activision to make a Civ game and they sued Microprose. Well Avalon Hill was actually licensing Civ and other things from a British company for their board games, so Microprose bought the British company and immediately rescinded those licenses. This destroyed Avalon Hill and it was bought by Hasbro.