Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
http://www.gnoosic.com It uses a program called gnod which can also be used to find books and movies.

gnoosic.com posted:

Gnod is a self-adapting system that learns about the outer world by asking its visitors what they like and what they don't like. In this instance of Gnod all is about music. Gnod is kind of a search engine for music you don't know about. It will ask you what music you like and then think about what you might like too. When I set Gnod online its database was completely empty. Now it contains thousands of bands and quite some knowledge about who likes what. And Gnod learns more every day.

I was able to find about 10 bands I had never heard of that are loving fantastic. It's amazing to me how much good music I've been missing out on.

For example when I put in my 3 bands as Radiohead, Liars, Gorecki it gave me the band Library Tapes. I'd never heard of them before but I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PId1p8qfetc

Try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I put in Brian Eno, Scott Walker, and Ornette Coleman and got back Pharoah Sanders. Not bad, but not quite on the money..

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I put in Brian Eno, Scott Walker, and Ornette Coleman and got back Pharoah Sanders. Not bad, but not quite on the money..

I put in Karate, Radiohead, and Rush and it spit out The Van Pelt and The Lapse, both of whom sound a little like Karate in as much as it's talk-y vocaled indie rock, but not really like the other two.

ok, 3rd selection is Nam June Paik which seems to really be missing the mark.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I don't think it's trying to find bands that sound like your choices, but bands that you might also like based on your tastes. Pandora might say "you like minor keys, male vocals, and orchestral elements." This sounds more like Last.fm, where they mine data from people with similar tastes to find bands you might like.

Edit: I would bet that this is just a massive database of cross-referenced names, and has no information on how any band sounds.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I told it I liked Spoon, Chvrches and Wolf Parade. It recommended the visual art of collage artist Speial Guest.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

I told it I liked Spoon, Chvrches and Wolf Parade. It recommended the visual art of collage artist Speial Guest.

Maybe the whole site is a vehicle for Speial Guest because I listen to very different poo poo from you and it still recommended Speial Guest to me

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 16, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I just got Speial Guest. Either he or someone who likes him set this up or he hacked it to recommend him.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yeah, I put in DFA1979, Metz, and HEALTH and got back Pissed Jeans, Off!, Annihilation Time, and then Speial Guest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Modern Leper posted:

Edit: I would bet that this is just a massive database of cross-referenced names, and has no information on how any band sounds.

From the description, it sounds like it's just naming bands that other people who put in some of the bands you put in either put in or liked.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I put in Current 93, Master's Hammer and the Art Ensemble of Chicago and it just gave me a bunch of black metal bands I already knew about. Not very useful

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Hmm, worked really well for me. That's funny about Speial Guest. I don't think I ever had that recommended to me but maybe it's the guy who runs the site's band or something.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This seems like a waste of a good idea. I hope once the creator collects enough sample data they can make a version that:

1) Embeds a youtube video or soundcloud player for one or two sample songs from the artist
2) Let users rate on a scale rather than a yes/no basis.
3) Lets the user continue to cycle through recommendations endlessly
4) Continually refines it's selections due to selections from all its users

Edit: Basically gamify the music recommendation algorithm from Last.fm

bowser fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 17, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

olin posted:

Hmm, worked really well for me. That's funny about Speial Guest. I don't think I ever had that recommended to me but maybe it's the guy who runs the site's band or something.

Not a band, as far as I could tell. He or she is a visual artist. I followed a link from the site to a Facebook page--I saw a bunch of "cut-up" pieces, but no music.

I can't imagine the relationship, but I agree that Speial Guest is probably affiliated with the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Bad Religion + Radiohead + Minus the Bear = mewithoutyou

eh

• Locked thread