Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
I was listening to a great episode of this podcast called "Shall We Play a Game?" and they had game critic/developer/academic Ian Bogost on to talk about his new book, "How to Talk About Video Games." Over the course of the interview, Bogost discussed the current state of games criticism, specifically the focus many critics seem to put on games as a narrative medium analogous to film and literature. Bogost argues that games are "a kind of encounter that we have, that sits uncomfortably - but delightfully - between the domain of art and the domain of appliance." He draws a comparison between a game and a toaster, in that both serve a similarly absurd purpose (the toasts exists solely to brown bread, and games exist to fill similarly specific niches in our lives), and both involve familiar interactions that we return to again and again. This isn't to say that being "toaster-like" is an inherently bad thing; part of the whole draw of sports is watching a set of very familiar rules play out again and again, hoping that a particular game will bring about an exciting break from the repetition. This idea of games as part-art and part-appliance is an incredibly interesting perspective to me, since it seems a large number of games critics and players seem to hold well-executed narrative as some kind of holy grail for games as a medium of art.

If games exist in this limbo between form and function, between art and product, where does that leave critical discourse? How can we embrace the "in-between"-ness of video games in their criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

To be honest, despite this being a Games sub-forum, this sort of question might be better suited to the Debate & Discussion sub-forum. Might generate more interest there too.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
That Bogost guy sounds like a shitlord. Toast is anything but absurd.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

TomViolence posted:

To be honest, despite this being a Games sub-forum, this sort of question might be better suited to the Debate & Discussion sub-forum. Might generate more interest there too.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try crossposting over there.

• Locked thread