Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Archer666 posted:

It's been mentioned before, but I think the group of gamers that want games to be seen as art are not the group of gamers who are angry about the "critical eye" that some put on it.

Nah, there's usually significant overlap. The key factor is that they think if "games are art" then that means they won't be called a weirdo for playing them. They don't think about actual art criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Nah, there's usually significant overlap. The key factor is that they think if "games are art" then that means they won't be called a weirdo for playing them. They don't think about actual art criticism.

Who are these incredibly insecure people, and why should I care about them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

Well, there is an interesting property of games as interactive art.

Normally a critique of a work of art is read as a critique of the creator. This work of art is implicitly racist, poorly structured, etc.

With interactive, participatory art, though, where the participant "creates" part of the experience, some of that criticism can redound onto the participant.

It's one thing to say that, for example, Marvel objectifies female superheroes. It's another to say Diablo objectifies women because the player is stabbing sexy succubi all day long, especially if the player bought the game in part because of the hot succubi.

Counterpoint of course is that the comic buyer bought the comic to stare at superheroine rear end too, bit that's still not better.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, there is an interesting property of games as interactive art.

Normally a critique of a work of art is read as a critique of the creator. This work of art is implicitly racist, poorly structured, etc.

With interactive, participatory art, though, where the participant "creates" part of the experience, some of that criticism can redound onto the participant.

It's one thing to say that, for example, Marvel objectifies female superheroes. It's another to say Diablo objectifies women because the player is stabbing sexy succubi all day long, especially if the player bought the game in part because of the hot succubi.

Counterpoint of course is that the comic buyer bought the comic to stare at superheroine rear end too, bit that's still not better.
I think you're onto something, but the given example doesn't really show it. There are plenty of people who buy comic books or watch movies so they can look at the pretty girls therein; that part's not unique to games.

So let's take a different example: The Sims. You can kill your Sims by luring them into a room and removing the door: is this your fault as the player for doing it, or the creator's fault for leaving it in? I think it's somewhere in between: in some sense the creator is responsible for building the set of actions the player may perform, and in some sense it's a reflection on the player if they insist on doing those things to the exclusion of everything else.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kit Walker posted:

I remember when I was like 14 or so, playing Dynasty Warriors 3, where you can cut down literally hundreds if not thousands of random soldiers, and suddenly pondering exactly how hosed up something like that would be to live out for real. Like, even if it's just a game and not real, if it WAS real you'd just be running around creating a tidal wave of grief, on account of all these guys you're just casually killing off presumably having families and friends. The game didn't appeal to me too much after that. Of course, years later I found myself playing games like Prototype and Bloodborne which are incredibly violent and gory but that's different.

I've never had that visceral of an experience from any movie or book and it wasn't even an intentional message.

For the purposes of this discussion, if you had a kid, how old would you want him to be before you let him play a game like this? Its something I've been spending more and more time thinking about. I mean, its easy to think, "Aw, just let them play whatever they want, I did and I turned out fine" but at least this generation of parents has some practical experience in what their kids will be exposed to, and the fact that games are much more interactive lends itself to having a lot more potential influence.

*Flash forward to TYOOL 2026*

*Watching son making stabbing gestures in his VR rig*
:corsair: what are you up to, sonny? Buildin' a log cabin in TurboNeoMinecraft?

:v: "Naw, I'm stabbing a hooker. Turns out you can get way more of your money back if you stab 'em to death vs running them over. Plus my character is white and in a very racist area, so there will be almost no suspicion it was me."

:stare:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Who thinks video games are for weirdos? This isn't the 80s.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jarmak posted:

Who thinks video games are for weirdos? This isn't the 80s.

Goons, mostly, in my experience.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The interesting thing with VR is that we're essentially having to unlearn how to create scary stories because, after thousands of years of narrative traditions trying to make a visceral message pierce through so many levels of abstraction in writing, storytelling, and film, we've created stories and experiences that, while scary to watch, will set your infralimbic cortex on fire and flood your whole body with norepinephrine when you experience them in person, and that's among "horror buffs", while PS2 graphics cartoon skeletons will make people who aren't used to horror experiences. It'll be interesting to see if this is a hard limit on human psychology, or if in 50 years people losing their poo poo in early VR horror games will be seen as quaint, like people freaking out during showings of "Arrival of a Train"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Incoherence posted:

I think you're onto something, but the given example doesn't really show it. There are plenty of people who buy comic books or watch movies so they can look at the pretty girls therein; that part's not unique to games.

So let's take a different example: The Sims. You can kill your Sims by luring them into a room and removing the door: is this your fault as the player for doing it, or the creator's fault for leaving it in? I think it's somewhere in between: in some sense the creator is responsible for building the set of actions the player may perform, and in some sense it's a reflection on the player if they insist on doing those things to the exclusion of everything else.

It's a completely blameless action since you as the player are doing nothing but exploring a consequence-free virtual world. You can take a flight simulator game, like the Microsoft flight sim games, and smash a fully loaded A320 into the ground. Who's "fault" is that? The designers? The players? Gravity? None of the above, it's a morally neutral event because, and this is what trips some people up, it's simulation. It's not real, you didn't really kill anyone. You did it for your own amusement, at the cost of nothing.

So if you want to "blame" designers for allowing players to play their games "wrong," then I don't think games are for you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Incoherence posted:

the sims was pitched as a virtual dollhouse, so i'd make the pedantic distinction of calling it a video toy rather than a video game - there's no narrative or even metaphor to critique, it's nothing more than a sandbox for people to derive amusement from on their own terms

and i'm not trying to ignite the is/isn't a game debate, but rather i dunno how much you can critique gi joe action figures in a vacuum versus the gi joe cartoon which told a story and thus is more open to critique. like we can look at the sims as an attempt to model everyday human behavior and social interaction in an entertaining, lighthearted way which includes casual supernatural murder from a detached godlike figure

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 26, 2016

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Archer666 posted:

It's been mentioned before, but I think the group of gamers that want games to be seen as art are not the group of gamers who are angry about the "critical eye" that some put on it.
A hypothetical conversation with a hypothetical unreasonable person is a straw man by definition. I don't think there's really much connection between "games as art" and how accepting people are of cultural criticism though. The former is mostly split by what kind of games people like, and the latter is mostly split by personal biases (because the methodology of popular critique is poo poo).

Panfilo posted:

I enjoy rediculous, over the top violent games as much as the next nerd but the idea of little kids playing it definitely gives me pause. I feel that if I had kids the context of the game would be very important to me and I wouldn't want to either be so permissive or oppressive as to bring about Bigoted Sexist Turbonerd gen 2.0
ESRB/PEGI inherited the same problem as the movie ratings system: They care way too much about whether very specific things are shown and too little about thematic elements. Prototype deserves an M rating because it's wanton and God of War deserves an M rating because it's frequently sadistic. TF2 doesn't deserve an M rating just because it put gibs in an absurd cartoon violence game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Powercrazy posted:

It's a completely blameless action since you as the player are doing nothing but exploring a consequence-free virtual world. You can take a flight simulator game, like the Microsoft flight sim games, and smash a fully loaded A320 into the ground. Who's "fault" is that? The designers? The players? Gravity? None of the above, it's a morally neutral event because, and this is what trips some people up, it's simulation. It's not real, you didn't really kill anyone. You did it for your own amusement, at the cost of nothing.

So if you want to "blame" designers for allowing players to play their games "wrong," then I don't think games are for you.
I know people are all spooked by decades of politicians blaming violent video games for things, but it's not necessary to go to the other extreme and say that video games have no moral consequence whatsoever, which is basically what you're saying here.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the sims was pitched as a virtual dollhouse, so i'd make the pedantic distinction of calling it a video toy rather than a video game - there's no narrative or even metaphor to critique, it's nothing more than a sandbox for people to derive amusement from on their own terms
I'm using it as a well-known example of "you can do this terrible thing but there's no real reason to, and the developers put some sort of handling in for it anyway". The next step on the spectrum would be "you can do this terrible thing, and you are rewarded for it, but it's optional", like killing hookers in GTA.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
While games can have an impact on us the drive to do violence to others is much harder to influence via media, barring an already violent individual. Honestly I look at games more for helping us learn empathy for others. Instead of merely hearing or seeing someone's suffering, you can literally step into their shoes and see what their life is like. This War of Mine was a real big success in that regard, at least to me. I'd heard and thought about civilians trapped in combat zones before, but *never* to the extent that TWoM made me. I'd never had to make decisions on if I try and keep my group of people alive, to the detriment of other groups, or try and save everyone and possibly doom us all to lack of supplies. I never before have had to consider between giving the last few medical supplies I have to two kids begging for us to help their mother, or telling them that I can't help them. Do I do the right thing, and possibly kill us all? Do I do the pragmatic thing, survive, and live with the knowledge? I still don't know the answer to some questions on it, and I still debate myself every time I play it.

It's a lot easier to do terrible things to the random pedestrians in GTA. They're ones and zeros at most to us. It's only when we get to know a character and like said character that it has an impact. I mowed down hundreds of trouble youths in Saints Row 2, but when The Boss had to mercy kill Carlos, I was genuinely upset and mad. The Boss, my character, the person I had created and was my avatar in this world, had promised to keep Carlos safe and help him. And I'd failed him. And in the end all that could be done was holding his hand and letting him know he wasn't alone, before putting him out of his misery. yes I know it's an older game but I'm paranoid Even in this silly, goofy, bang bang shooty game, it gave me that empathy and feeling of personal failure.

Games hold a stronger ability to generate empathy for others, as we're the ones acting. Even if our actions are limited to what is programmed, ultimately *we* are the ones choosing and acting. Games are art, but I feel it can't be compared to the other types of art and media out there because every single other source of 'art' is non-interactive. You interpret artwork, you read a story, but you experience a game. Some games have a stronger focus on artwork than others, and even the biggest most corporate game has some artistic merit, even if it ends up being 'This was made by a corporation who focus tested everything. Look how mechanical and soulless it is'.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I'm interested in the attitudes of gamers in terms of exposing their own kids to games. Unlike my own generation, whose parents didn't really know what to make of video games, the next generation will have gamer parents. Their values will reflect their own decisions in what to expose their kids to.
I think the biggest difference between how I want to do it and how my parents did it will be treating video games like just any other type of media that's out there. Obviously I'm not going to be able to police my kid's every move (nor would I want to), but I want to make more consistent judgment calls than my parents did. They had no problem whatsoever with me watching every R-rated movie under the sun by the time I was a teenager, but goddam, games were a constant struggle. Everything from the typical ban on Mortal Kombat and its ilk, all the way to them throwing a shitfit over me buying E-rated Midtown Madness because I was learning to drive at the time.

If I feel that my kid has a good grasp on the difference between fantasy and reality, then I'm going to be more lenient with what games they're exposed to. I don't have a problem with a tween/teenager playing violent video games if he's aware of what real violence in the world actually looks like and how it affects people. I'd absolutely plan to intervene if gaming turns into an outlet for seriously antisocial or harassing behavior for the kid, but I'd be foolish to put the blame squarely on the game.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Further pedantry, I don't think that's enough to distinguish toy from game. Tetris doesn't have a narrative or metaphor either--what does anything that happens in Tetris mean? But it's obviously a game: the player takes actions that affect the game state and there are developer-defined win and loss conditions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fuschia tude posted:

Further pedantry, I don't think that's enough to distinguish toy from game. Tetris doesn't have a narrative or metaphor either--what does anything that happens in Tetris mean? But it's obviously a game: the player takes actions that affect the game state and there are developer-defined win and loss conditions.

tetris has an explicit goal, to last as long as possible while following the rules of tetris. the sims doesn't have any explicit goal, you get some simulated people to lord over and generally dick around with. i dont think there's a significant distinction between toy and game when it comes to entertainment value, i'm just trying to differentiate between a board game like monopoly and something like a pile of legos, or crayons + paper where it's really just a tool for pretending

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Tetris doesn't have a narrative or metaphor either--what does anything that happens in Tetris mean?

Oh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

this. I think alot of the "games are art" thing came up after 2 events. 1st was ebert saying games arn't art and the other was the Indi game boom in the middle-late 00s. thats when the critics and the "critics" came into the picture. some i like and some i think are poo poo.

personally i think their are some great critics out there. superbunnyhop is pretty good as is Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 27, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

personally i think their are some great critics out there. superbunnyhop is pretty good as is Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

We live in a world where these two names are used in the same sentence unironically :allears:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

tetris has an explicit goal, to last as long as possible while following the rules of tetris. the sims doesn't have any explicit goal, you get some simulated people to lord over and generally dick around with. i dont think there's a significant distinction between toy and game when it comes to entertainment value, i'm just trying to differentiate between a board game like monopoly and something like a pile of legos, or crayons + paper where it's really just a tool for pretending

Yeah that's my point, you didn't mention goal before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Talking about video games is something that people try to make way more complicated than it really is, at least when speaking generally- you talk about video games by trying to understand what their own goals as individual entities are (Such as providing puzzles for the player to solve, or testing their reflexes, or telling a story or some combination of all of these or whatever else) and then maybe comparing them to other video games with similar goals. You don't compare, I dunno, Tetris to Analogue: A Hate Story because those games have very little in common, but you might compare Tetris to another puzzle game like Hexic or Zuma, or Analogue with something like Gone Home or Firewatch or since they have enough similarities with each other for comparisons to be sensible and gosh, maybe enough to even begin developing ideas about genre.

A lot of times I think people get tripped up by trying to create some grand unifying theory that explains ALL video games, and I think that's a fool's errand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

A lot of times I think people get tripped up by trying to create some grand unifying theory that explains ALL video games, and I think that's a fool's errand.

All games have mechanics, and an aesthetic theory of game mechanics isn't an unreasonable goal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the question "are video games art?" forgets that there exists distinctions within film between art house and commercial schlock flims yet no one doubts film is artful medium

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All games have mechanics
I don't agree, unless you're going to include picking dialogue options in VN's (And even then, there are VN's that don't even have that!) or something like Firewatch as a game mechanic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I don't agree, unless you're going to include picking dialogue options in VN's (And even then, there are VN's that don't even have that!) or something like Firewatch as a game mechanic.

If a VN has a goal and picking dialogue options impedes or advances that goal, sure, that's game mechanics. If not, then it's just an ebook by another name.

If it has choices that are meaningless or which represent different outcomes unbound by goals then it's probably a toy, which is an interesting subject all its own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

We live in a world where these two names are used in the same sentence unironically :allears:

whats wrong with them? they arnt the deepest but i find them interesting. better then anything polygon or killscreen has done in my opinion.
Errant Signal is pretty good too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Real hurthling! posted:

the question "are video games art?" forgets that there exists distinctions within film between art house and commercial schlock flims yet no one doubts film is artful medium

Really, people shouldn't wish for the Citizen Kane of gaming but the Suspiria of gaming.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

icantfindaname posted:

It's really not, though. The SNES came out 26 years ago, and the PS2 16 years ago. Comparably, film was more or less a developed medium by the 40s/50s, which was maybe 15 or 20 years after it was viable technologically

Hold on a second, think about what you're saying though. The changes in the nature of games have been absolutely gigantic, the emergence of true 3D only took place twenty years ago and the ability to represent humans in something approaching a realistic manner about a decade after that. I'd consider the jump from 2d to 3d to be similar to the gulf between sound and talkies in terms of their effects on the medium, and I'd be tempted to say that videogames were having to work from a blank slate in a way cinema didn't (a lot of early cinema could draw off of theater, musicals and Vaudeville shows, which actually became easier with the introduction of sound).

Aureliu5
May 28, 2016

Kit Walker posted:

I remember when I was like 14 or so, playing Dynasty Warriors 3, where you can cut down literally hundreds if not thousands of random soldiers, and suddenly pondering exactly how hosed up something like that would be to live out for real. Like, even if it's just a game and not real, if it WAS real you'd just be running around creating a tidal wave of grief, on account of all these guys you're just casually killing off presumably having families and friends.

Hit me really hard in GTA 3: San Andreas actually. After mowing down dozens and dozens of gangsters of all sorts, a semi-cutscene made a huge deal on whether I'd actually be the bad guy evil enough to kill the archnemesis or whether I'd spare his life. In a building full of corpses I'd left lying around. Yeah Rockstar guys, I respect what you are trying to do here, but the form really doesn't follow the function now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really, people shouldn't wish for the Citizen Kane of gaming but the Suspiria of gaming.

David Cage is the Brian de Palma of gaming.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Aureliu5 posted:

Hit me really hard in GTA 3: San Andreas actually. After mowing down dozens and dozens of gangsters of all sorts, a semi-cutscene made a huge deal on whether I'd actually be the bad guy evil enough to kill the archnemesis or whether I'd spare his life. In a building full of corpses I'd left lying around. Yeah Rockstar guys, I respect what you are trying to do here, but the form really doesn't follow the function now.

Mooks (like elves) aren't people, so it isn't murder.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

David Cage is the Brian de Palma of gaming.

I don't get why people like him. I mean people like their auteur game devs. i love ken Levine and kojima and i can understand why people don't like their stuff. but how the gently caress does anyone like cage. he comes off as pretentious git who doesn't actually know how to make a game so he kinda just half asses it. Sure a lot of his ideas are cool, but he always, ALWAYS fucks it up. if i wanted to play a point and click game with actual emotions i would play walking dead season one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Real hurthling! posted:

There's actually not a distinction, at least for actual film critics.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

khwarezm posted:

Hold on a second, think about what you're saying though. The changes in the nature of games have been absolutely gigantic, the emergence of true 3D only took place twenty years ago and the ability to represent humans in something approaching a realistic manner about a decade after that. I'd consider the jump from 2d to 3d to be similar to the gulf between sound and talkies in terms of their effects on the medium, and I'd be tempted to say that videogames were having to work from a blank slate in a way cinema didn't (a lot of early cinema could draw off of theater, musicals and Vaudeville shows, which actually became easier with the introduction of sound).

It's such a different type of storytelling - how do you convey themes, plot, character to the audience when the audience is given the ability to do whatever they want? I think Skyrim was kind of on to something, where the real fun is in atmospheric exploration, it's too bad the storytelling and acting is so janky because it really infringes on the aesthetic. I'd love to see a smaller exploration game like that, with really, really strong focus on writing and character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

There's actually not a distinction, at least for actual film critics.

this. anything can be art to the right person. the problem is alot of the critics seem to believe that spectical is always a bad thing, therefor something like DOOM or GTA anything like that, cant be art.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's such a different type of storytelling - how do you convey themes, plot, character to the audience when the audience is given the ability to do whatever they want? I think Skyrim was kind of on to something, where the real fun is in atmospheric exploration, it's too bad the storytelling and acting is so janky because it really infringes on the aesthetic. I'd love to see a smaller exploration game like that, with really, really strong focus on writing and character.

this. but then again my girlfriend has an entire skyrim "profile" dedicated to a khajiit thief who just steals stuff and eats/steals chickens. so the experience is subjective.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. but then again my girlfriend has an entire skyrim "profile" dedicated to a khajiit thief who just steals stuff and eats/steals chickens. so the experience is subjective.

It's funny because the crappiness of Skyrim is just as entertaining as the actual awe-inspiring fantasy exploration parts, and I'm glad the game does both.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's funny because the crappiness of Skyrim is just as entertaining as the actual awe-inspiring fantasy exploration parts, and I'm glad the game does both.

its kinda like fallout 4. i haven't even finished the game yet. i am just kinda wandering around exploring and trying to level up/make caps. same with witcher 3.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did you ever try goon-favorite Fallout: New Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

khwarezm posted:

Did you ever try goon-favorite Fallout: New Vegas?

I liked Fallout 3 a lot more but I don't really know why (better vaults and music? lmao). I appreciate Bethesda for trying.

• Locked thread