Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bewilderment posted:

The Last of Us
is the Avatar of gaming. Except with more likable characters.

Goddam that's cold dude.

Daikatana is the Avatar of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bewilderment posted:

The Last of Us is an artistic success in the sense that it had beautifully rendered environments, great voice actors and voice acting, generally good atmosphere, a competently written story, etc.

Yet its gameplay wasn't anything really different from any other shooty-game with stealth elements.

I think calling it a 'Citizen Kane' or heaping high praise on it is a little silly and critically narrow. The film that wins Best Cinematography at the Oscars isn't always the film that wins Best Picture (leaving aside Oscars politics).

The Last of Us
is the Avatar of gaming. Except with more likable characters.

the combat/crafting/health kept the theme pretty well. poo poo was usually pretty scarce and you could bluff dudes with empty guns. but yeah, people do over hype if, they also overhype the dlc alot. which built ellies character alot, but people only talk about it because it shows elllie is gay/bi

holy poo poo. i love the bioshock games, but infinite wasn't that great.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A painting or a book or a symphony is not art. It's a machine to produce art-feeling. Viewed like that the whole dumb argument about games and art evaporates and blows away. They're not art because nothing is, but they can produce art feeling. Mostly they haven't been great at doing that for a bunch of reasons (constantly changing technology preventing a solid aesthetic from developing, a hormone addled target market of teenage boys). But they can create an art feeling that other media simply can't.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Killer 7 is the Pulp Fiction meets Lost Highway of gaming.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Killer 7 is the Pulp Fiction meets Lost Highway of gaming.

On a similar note, DOOM is the Mad Max: Fury Road of gaming. BTW nice comparison its actually really accurate imo

edit: Metal Gear Solid 5 is the Lawrence of Arabia of gaming

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Game mechanics absolutely play a huge role in developing the emotional tone of playing the game, which I think makes them an aspect of aesthetics.

Far Cry 2, to use a big example, is (intentionally) one giant stress fugue that genuinely frays the nerves to play for any length of time because it effectively mechanically implements privation, uncertainty, and a razor-thin margin between success and failure at any given task, even late in the game. The story and visual aesthetic absolutely complement and reinforce the mechanics, but would not be nearly able to carry that same tone with a more forgiving and accommodating game design. (Mad Max, for instance, confines its struggle-for-survival themes entirely to dialogue and art--the player can clearly see that the world is 'actually' much easier to survive in than characters claim, robbing the story of some of its punch)

e: just think about how the addition or removal of a timer (and how tight the time pressure is) would affect the tonal experience of playing literally any game, from puzzle to brawler.

Those games mechanics make them functionally stressful, that doesn't make make mechanics part of aesthetics. Function in this case is complimenting form and vice versa.

To label the mechanics aesthetics simply because they compliment and reinforce the aesthetic (or again, vice versa) dilutes the term to the point of uselessness.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

achillesforever6 posted:

What's funny wasn't The Last of Us considered "The Citizen Kane of games" that very year by a bunch of critics?

I mean it was good and fun, but that was a little lofty, though I always have a soft spot for Naughty Dog games.

People don't even know what "Citizen Kane of X" is supposed to be anymore, it originally stood for landmark separating cinema from theater by employing new techniques, so whatever was "Citizen Kane of games" was probably released 20 or more years ago.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pyromancer posted:

People don't even know what "Citizen Kane of X" is supposed to be anymore, it originally stood for landmark separating cinema from theater by employing new techniques, so whatever was "Citizen Kane of games" was probably released 20 or more years ago.

huh so Pong is the Citizen Kane of video games?

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

The Real Foogla posted:

I think you'll find that title is taken by one of the many classic Japanese visual novels

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Real Foogla posted:

This may shock you, but it's 2016 already, so Pong is over 40 years old. Also, aside from being electronic, it is not that different from table football or other games of that sort.
If you really want to stick to that sort of naming scheme it can be Battleship Potemkin of video games or something.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 31, 2016

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

sebmojo posted:

A painting or a book or a symphony is not art.

:rolleyes:

Coolwhoami posted:

Critics are known for being hyperbolic to a fault, and when coupled with a permeating desire to have their chosen class of thing be considered more high brow, we get this.

What's their motivation I wonder? Surely a few of them have to earn a paycheck; do they imagine that will be easier as a critic of high art for a vanishingly small audience?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jarmak posted:

Those games mechanics make them functionally stressful, that doesn't make make mechanics part of aesthetics. Function in this case is complimenting form and vice versa.

To label the mechanics aesthetics simply because they compliment and reinforce the aesthetic (or again, vice versa) dilutes the term to the point of uselessness.

Okay, so, at least two levels to this:

First, that's wrongheaded. You wouldn't say that brush strokes or word choice lack aesthetic qualities just because their function is to depict a scene, would you? If anything, given the infinite variety of options, the way you depict something, the method and the arrangement, is more a matter of taste and beauty than the actual subject. You can even dispense with the subject; abstract art doesn't cease to be art.

Plus, we have a precedent for regarding a system of rules as beautiful: people say it of languages all the time. Which leads to the second point, that both you and the guy you're replying to seem to have overlooked -- that a system of rules with just the right balance of simplicity and complexity (and/or whatever qualities suit your tastes) can be artful in itself.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 31, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Art exists in the act of experiencing it. You'd disagree?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Art exists in the act of experiencing it. You'd disagree?

This is pedantic quibbling to make yourself sound enlightened or something like that. Without the actual piece of art, there would be no experiencing of it, so why make this dumb semantic argument?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dr. Stab posted:

That interaction is part of the framework in which the film is presented and not the film itself.

This. Saying "all home video releases are interactive because menus" is akin to saying "all books are interactive because you can chop them up and rearrange the pages :) " Yes, you can, but that's an artifact of the way the thing is produced in its physical medium. It's external to the thing itself.

Internaut! posted:

:rolleyes:

What's their motivation I wonder? Surely a few of them have to earn a paycheck; do they imagine that will be easier as a critic of high art for a vanishingly small audience?

To some degree it might be social signalling, flattering their audience by positively comparing popular thing to famous examples from other media. It's not necessarily that they're highbrow consumers of refined art so much as it flatters them to think they are.

Plus, as mentioned about fandoms, it's easier to write this way, praising popular things with fan-based audiences, than the opposite.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WampaLord posted:

This is pedantic quibbling to make yourself sound enlightened or something like that. Without the actual piece of art, there would be no experiencing of it, so why make this dumb semantic argument?

It puts the act of experiencing a traditional work of art on the same footing as playing a game, where the art-feeling, the moment to moment experience, is the thing that matters. It also gives a more sensible frame to talk about things like aesthetics, design and gameplay as vectors of art, as well as bringing in the place of a given work in its society (by incorporating the viewer/reader/player as a crucial component). Art isn't a thing, art happens between the work and the observer. Seems straightforward imo.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Internaut! posted:

In addition to what as has already been said, I think part of it comes from a place where you want the thing you're critiquing to have value socially. While having a lot of people like a thing is indeed valuable in some respects, I think the idea here is that because high art (literature, visual art, some movies) are considered more culturally significant/valuable, comparing a work to them is an attempt to bring the level of the work they're criticizing to a similar place. It is of course absurd to do this when the comparison is not warranted, but their audiences either don't care enough to stop reading, or the page views added by saying something dumb like that makes up for any lost by it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Games don't have to be fun, and some of the best games I've played have been the opposite of fun. Pathologic is the classic example. There's absolutely no way you can present that game that even seems remotely fun, but it doesn't need to be.

This is probably the dumbest thing I've read in these forums this year, congrats fucktard!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qnqnx posted:

This is probably the dumbest thing I've read in these forums this year, congrats fucktard!

Why? Not every movie is fun, but lots are enjoyable in a different way (think Shindler's List vs. Guardians of the Galaxy) Is it any dumber to try to consider game this way?

I'm also wondering why people react so incredibly towards "walking sim" art-style games, when movies are allowed these types of efforts without so much as a whimper from the average movie-goer. And I'd expect art games, just like art films, to not be the majority of the market despite getting a decent amount of the critical press. What makes games so different in this regard?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

rkajdi posted:

Why? Not every movie is fun, but lots are enjoyable in a different way (think Shindler's List vs. Guardians of the Galaxy) Is it any dumber to try to consider game this way?

I'm also wondering why people react so incredibly towards "walking sim" art-style games, when movies are allowed these types of efforts without so much as a whimper from the average movie-goer. And I'd expect art games, just like art films, to not be the majority of the market despite getting a decent amount of the critical press. What makes games so different in this regard?

plz don't feed trolls

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

I agree with you that i think gaming should be more broad and their should be stuff with deeper experiences, the problem is most of the "deep philosophical" indie games are kinda crap. their deep ideas often come off as pretentious as poo poo or forced. which is the same problem with alot of indie movies. the ideas often sound like the creators took a 2 year humanities degree and put that and their philosophical/political ideals and called that deep. and unlike gone home/fire watch/even loving Stanley parable, they have no interactivity. and i dont mean killing or fighting. i mean like any interactions at all. its just walk on look and the weird art and listen to the writer bleet in your ear about catcher in the rye or how bad problematic the tome art of war is.

what i am saying is. if you want to make a good walking sim/indie game. 1. make it interesting and original and 2, have some sort of real interactivity. not walking straight forward or some dumb powerpoint/word document.

for example, look at five nights at freddies. the dude came up with an original idea based partially of criticism from his first games and kids being scared of anamotronics.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 31, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

on a base level all entertainment should be fun, if it's not fun then it's boring and you stop consuming it. fun can take on different forms, such as interesting, frustrating, etc. the witness wasn't fun in a joyful sense, it was fun because it was intensely frustrating until you had an epiphany. schindler's list isn't pleasant to sit through or lightweight in its themes but it's fun because it produces in some way a powerful emotion like sympathy for the jews or hatred of the nazis which people find pleasurable in some bitter way. gone home was fun if you liked the atmosphere and environment, and it wasn't fun if you were expecting anything to happen or a more complex story

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Movies as a term is broad; It is applied to any non-interactive video media that is of sufficient length. The concept video game has rules for use which walking sims do not satisfy particularly well. Interactivity is one aspect, but not the only one. These things become games for lack of a better term to discriminate them from both movies and games, in part because they exist in the border area between both. Interestingly, we tend not to call simulators used for training pilots games, because they are not used for leisure, despite being both interactive and challenging. Art films do not have this problem, because the reasons for watching a movie are not part of what makes them one, nor the structure or content.

My problem with this crossover is the tendency to point to walking simulator type things as strong examples of the artistic merit of the medium. If we need to look to examples for in kind with other media forms in order to legitimize the use of the term art for the medium, we fail to identify the qualities that make video games unique as an artistic medium.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

on a base level all entertainment should be fun, if it's not fun then it's boring and you stop consuming it. fun can take on different forms, such as interesting, frustrating, etc. the witness wasn't fun in a joyful sense, it was fun because it was intensely frustrating until you had an epiphany. schindler's list isn't pleasant to sit through or lightweight in its themes but it's fun because it produces in some way a powerful emotion like sympathy for the jews or hatred of the nazis which people find pleasurable in some bitter way. gone home was fun if you liked the atmosphere and environment, and it wasn't fun if you were expecting anything to happen or a more complex story

I'm pretty sure you're saying the thing, it's just he's using fun to mean something more narrow than "enjoyable" and you're using them as synonyms.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Coolwhoami posted:

Movies as a term is broad; It is applied to any non-interactive video media that is of sufficient length. The concept video game has rules for use which walking sims do not satisfy particularly well. Interactivity is one aspect, but not the only one. These things become games for lack of a better term to discriminate them from both movies and games, in part because they exist in the border area between both. Interestingly, we tend not to call simulators used for training pilots games, because they are not used for leisure, despite being both interactive and challenging. Art films do not have this problem, because the reasons for watching a movie are not part of what makes them one, nor the structure or content.

My problem with this crossover is the tendency to point to walking simulator type things as strong examples of the artistic merit of the medium. If we need to look to examples for in kind with other media forms in order to legitimize the use of the term art for the medium, we fail to identify the qualities that make video games unique as an artistic medium.

SimCity is less of a game than any given walking simulator is, though, so this distinction leads to conclusions that are fairly absurd.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

SimCity is less of a game than any given walking simulator is, though, so this distinction leads to conclusions that are fairly absurd.

How so? People play it for leisure, theres challenge, and it is obviously interactive. How is it less of a game?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure you're saying the thing, it's just he's using fun to mean something more narrow than "enjoyable" and you're using them as synonyms.

yeah, they're nearly identical arguments. really i'm addressing more the original claim that "games don't have to be fun" when i think that's the only thing they have to do, and fun is an individual preference. like people who purposely seek out and play lovely, broken games to enjoy on a meta level how bad and incompetent the game is

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Coolwhoami posted:

How so? People play it for leisure, theres challenge, and it is obviously interactive. How is it less of a game?

SimCity, specifically speaking, is a toy. There's no condition for victory, no goal you are attempting to achieve. To contrast, all walking simulators have a goal you are attempting to achieve, and a victory condition. Your definition basically says that the defining difference between a videogame and a book is that the book is not "interactive", and if we pick the right book, say, Mad Libs, it's now a videogame.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Maybe it's a difference in terminology, but I'd never call a cathartic film like Shindler's List fun. It is however enjoyable.

I also agree with Dapper_Swindler that most indie games going for being deep fail. But so do most art films, and really most films in general. Games seem like an oddity to me, in that there's a serious push for every AAA game to be considered good to great, when most blockbuster films are panned or neutral from decent critics. Gamers are just seem more sensitive to criticism from what I've seen, partially due to more much less established gaming is and partially due to paranoid fears that Beige Military Shooter 2016 or Weeb Breast Simulator 5.0 will not be made if games become Serious Business.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

rkajdi posted:

If it is not enjoyable then it is not worth playing the game, and games are all about being fun. Artsy fartsy walking sims belong in the trash.

Brainiac Five posted:

SimCity, specifically speaking, is a toy. There's no condition for victory, no goal you are attempting to achieve. To contrast, all walking simulators have a goal you are attempting to achieve, and a victory condition. Your definition basically says that the defining difference between a videogame and a book is that the book is not "interactive", and if we pick the right book, say, Mad Libs, it's now a videogame.

Here's another dumbass that talks poo poo about games he never played, and would probably incur in massive debt in SimCity if he tried.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

This topic is hella retarded and is full of idiots that spend more time talking about videogames than actually playing them, all in the name of "art".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Maybe it's a difference in terminology, but I'd never call a cathartic film like Shindler's List fun. It is however enjoyable.

I also agree with Dapper_Swindler that most indie games going for being deep fail. But so do most art films, and really most films in general. Games seem like an oddity to me, in that there's a serious push for every AAA game to be considered good to great, when most blockbuster films are panned or neutral from decent critics. Gamers are just seem more sensitive to criticism from what I've seen, partially due to more much less established gaming is and partially due to paranoid fears that Beige Military Shooter 2016 or Weeb Breast Simulator 5.0 will not be made if games become Serious Business.

i think the problem is alot of the critics think only in terms of deep/high art. therefore people like john machintosh and moviebob and all of killscreen, poo poo on anything that isnt like that, dragon cancer or life is strange. they think that GTA/doom is showing a negative image of games to people outside the industry and therefore doom and GTA are problematic and pernicious and gross and violent. while i agree that their defienatly more different types of games. I dont think it should be some wannabe art critics guiding the type that are made.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sebmojo posted:

A painting or a book or a symphony is not art.

Actually, they're respectively the Third, the Fifth and the Fourth Art.
:goonsay:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

There are no explicit victory or failure states, but having a city that fills the map, or one in which no one lives and you are massively in debt, are certainly valences of victory or defeat. However, there is no issue here with pointing out that it too doesn't fit the criteria well (to the point that you even have an alternative term to describe it). Walking simulator was a term created in ire to describe those things fitting it, and doesn't cover all possibilities that fall into the grey area here (e.g. Mountain).

I didn't include the whole "video based medium" part because I assumed people would understand, by the nature of the topic, that it was they to which I referred, and not other sorts of games (of which Mad Libs is a word game). I'll ensure to be more pedantic about it in future, as apparently that was not clear.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

qnqnx posted:

If it is not enjoyable then it is not worth playing the game, and games are all about being fun. Artsy fartsy walking sims belong in the trash.

Here's another dumbass that talks poo poo about games he never played, and would probably incur in massive debt in SimCity if he tried.

I'm not denigrating SimCity. You might as well come around to shrieking about how this forum is full of pedophiles like your buddy does, though, you're not very good at concealing your intent.

Coolwhoami posted:

There are no explicit victory or failure states, but having a city that fills the map, or one in which no one lives and you are massively in debt, are certainly valences of victory or defeat. However, there is no issue here with pointing out that it too doesn't fit the criteria well (to the point that you even have an alternative term to describe it). Walking simulator was a term created in ire to describe those things fitting it, and doesn't cover all possibilities that fall into the grey area here (e.g. Mountain).

I didn't include the whole "video based medium" part because I assumed people would understand, by the nature of the topic, that it was they to which I referred, and not other sorts of games (of which Mad Libs is a word game). I'll ensure to be more pedantic about it in future, as apparently that was not clear.

Wrong from the start. You can lose in SimCity. Thanks for playing.

Now, you're stubbornly resisting the conclusion that "game" isn't some easily-defined category where you can cleanly separate out the bad from the good. I could go on and point out that the Zero Escape games are functionally almost identical to walking simulators in that they're visual novels with a little bit of gameplay attached, but I don't want to see how you'd treat those games.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 31, 2016

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm not denigrating SimCity. You might as well come around to shrieking about how this forum is full of pedophiles like your buddy does, though, you're not very good at concealing your intent.

Now, you're stubbornly resisting the conclusion that "game" isn't some easily-defined category where you can cleanly separate out the bad from the good. I could go on and point out that the Zero Escape games are functionally almost identical to walking simulators in that they're visual novels with a little bit of gameplay attached, but I don't want to see how you'd treat those games.

You really like to pretend you play games by talking a lot about them, don't you

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

qnqnx posted:

You really like to pretend you play games by talking a lot about them, don't you

Yes, that's right, I'm a fake gamer. I'm infiltrating gamer society to destroy all gamers and gaming, with yarmulkes, Hanukkah, and gefilte fish, as fake gamers are known to do. You need to resist the poison of the fake gamer and eliminate them from the noble gamer folk.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Okay, so, at least two levels to this:

First, that's wrongheaded. You wouldn't say that brush strokes or word choice lack aesthetic qualities just because their function is to depict a scene, would you? If anything, given the infinite variety of options, the way you depict something, the method and the arrangement, is more a matter of taste and beauty than the actual subject. You can even dispense with the subject; abstract art doesn't cease to be art.

Plus, we have a precedent for regarding a system of rules as beautiful: people say it of languages all the time. Which leads to the second point, that both you and the guy you're replying to seem to have overlooked -- that a system of rules with just the right balance of simplicity and complexity (and/or whatever qualities suit your tastes) can be artful in itself.

I'm not sure why you think brush strokes or word choices are the appropriate analogue to game mechanics (or why you painting is a medium you can draw an analogue to game mechanics in at all for that matter) when they are wholly different things and direct analogues exists. Word choice is a matter of aesthetics is the way you can advance the exact same information in various ways, but the choice of how you do that is aesthetic in nature. Essentially the examples you gave are not functional or mechanical at all except in the construction of the aesthetic. Game mechanics aren't an analogue to word choice, if you'e trying to draw a line to a passive media they're an analogue to the information conveyed by the narrative. Again, form and function and impact and influence each other, but that doesn't mean that function is form. Nor does the idea that function can be beautiful mean that it "is" form, suggesting so makes the delineation meaningless.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
A medium in itself is not art, otherwise random textbooks would be art in the same way the Odysseus is. Can video games be art? Oh course, in the same way art can be created through any medium, even, and often famously through rocks. They can also be a source of debilitating addiction, such as WoW turns out for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Only the most recent iteration (as far as I know, I have not played them all), and only after a substantial time in which this was not the case. Not sure why that warrants hostility, nor how one example of this not being the case somehow nullifies the remainder of the example.

Brainiac Five posted:

I would absolutely agree that it isn't easy to define, because words are words and they are used in many different contexts. However, we can certainly discuss the ways the term is used and examine the extent to which a given usage is sensible or not. Otherwise, we might very well begin to do as you previously mentioned, describing a mad libs book as a video game.

(While you have indicated you do not want this, I will ignore this for lack of care for your unnecessary hostility) I have not played a Zero Escape game, but they seem to share a great deal of qualities with point and click adventure games, so I do not see how they would be an issue here.

• Locked thread