Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Puljujarvi.

Spelled it right on the first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Puljujarvi.

Spelled it right on the first try.

His Jaw is so big.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Schlesische posted:

His Jaw is so big.

Does he have mumps? It kinda looks like he has mumps.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just noticed the amount of kids slated to go in the first round who are sons of guys who played in the NHL. Bellows, Chychrun, Brown, Nylander, Tkachuk. Most of those guys dads' were even pretty good at one point or another!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just noticed the amount of kids slated to go in the first round who are sons of guys who played in the NHL. Bellows, Chychrun, Brown, Nylander, Tkachuk. Most of those guys dads' were even pretty good at one point or another!

It's not at all unusual and a fairly well researched phenomenon. You have a thousand times higher chance of becoming an NFL player than the background population if you father also played in the NFL. I haven't seen the numbers for the NHL, but we can safely assume they're comparable. There's a lot of reasons for this, but the most basic are simply with a father who is a pro athlete, a child has the money and acknowledgement of pursuing pro sports as a career option. A father who played in the NHL is much more likely to enroll their son in the same sport starting at a young age and much less likely to tell them to focus on a real profession later on.

Opportunity is also a big one, as a pro father will add legitimacy to a kid and open doors to tryouts and teams that might otherwise be closed to them.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 25, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not just that, also just the athlete factor - from genetics to attitudes towards fitness. Like OV's mom being an Olympian.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It's not at all unusual and a fairly well researched phenomenon. You have a thousand times higher chance of becoming an NFL player than the background population if you father also played in the NFL. I haven't seen the numbers for the NHL, but we can safely assume they're comparable. There's a lot of reasons for this, but the most basic are simply with a father who is a pro athlete, a child has the money and acknowledgement of pursuing pro sports as a career option. A father who played in the NHL is much more likely to enroll their son in the same sport starting at a young age and much less likely to tell them to focus on a real profession later on.

Opportunity is also a big one, as a pro father will add legitimacy to a kid and open doors to tryouts and teams that might otherwise be closed to them.
They didn't have the NHL stats but...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nba-basketball-runs-in-the-family-1464130236

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Not just that, also just the athlete factor - from genetics to attitudes towards fitness. Like OV's mom being an Olympian.

Seth Jones is my favourite example. Well, him and Yao Ming and the Chinese breeding program.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm really interested to see who gets drafted first: pierre luc dubois or tkachuk. no idea who i like more right now, but they both look really good

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

i'm really interested to see who gets drafted first: pierre luc dubois or tkachuk. no idea who i like more right now, but they both look really good

Personally, I'd still lean towards Tkachuk. There's no question he plays on perhaps the best junior line of the last 20ish years, but I find it frustrating when people use that as a knock against him. He's there for a reason, and just put up a stellar showing in the OHL playoffs and memorial cup. I can't find any real downsides to his game. Is he going to be a world class top line player? I'd wager not, but I've compared him to Brandon Saad in the past and that's still the player I see most of the time. He's already a polished and alert cycle player, and that's generally something that takes a few years of pro hockey to develop properly. His positioning in the offensive zone is great, and his hands and pivots are excellent. Most of all, he's a smart player. He's not nutso level talented and creative like Marner, but he keeps up with him by making the right decision pretty much all the time. He's the type of guy who doesn't feel the need to hold onto the puck in the attacking zone or dangle through guys (although he can and does). He'll one touch it off his stick to a teammate if they're in a better position, and you know that pass is getting through.

Honestly, I think he could step in and contribute in pretty much any NHL bottom six next year. Preferably you want him back in the CHL at least another year, but he's already a serviceable placeholder offensively and rapidly improving defensively. He's no slouch from the physical department although I find it weird when people call him a power forward or anything like that - strength isn't his game. He's more like Crosby in that he's strong, and has a reputation as a playmaker but isn't your classic outmuscle guys or blow them up type. I use that comparison very lightly, as obviously he isn't in the same stratosphere as Sid but think that style of play from the hashmarks down.

Dubios just isn't that same level of useful in my eyes. His defensive game is great, maybe already only slightly below the average bottom six NHLer. He can tie guys up on the back check, loves to throw that extra little shove in front of the net and just generally knows how to neutralize the opposition. Think Kesler in terms of defensive playstyle (a bit of a jerk but still good at tying guys up, but perhaps lacking in defensive positioning). Then again, I feel like scouts get a little too excited about that. He'll be an interesting test case for the idea that offence gets you to the NHL and defence keeps you there, because I don't see a guy who really stands out offensively. He's good, but I don't feel like he's any more impressive than someone like James Sheppard at the same age. They were both tall and defensively responsible players who had a physical element to their game and put up good draft seasons offensively in the Q. I'm not saying they're carbon copies of each other, but I sorta feel like the same offensive limitations are possible with Dubois. I could see him settling into a Manny Malhotra type career, not that there's anything wrong with that but not what a team intent on rebuilding needs.

He can and will play in the NHL next year, but I'm not sure he'll ever progress to the point where he's a go to #1 or #2 centre. He bobbles the puck a lot. I don't know how much I want to use that as a knock against him, but I've always felt that being able to cleanly receive a pass and move it off your stick in one motion is a key element to an offensive game in the NHL. I can't think of a single PPG scorer in the league that isn't top notch at catching the puck without looking down or making a mistake. He's good when he has it under control, but it always takes that extra second and it concerns me. He'll be a centre in the NHL though, and those defensive responsibilities are hard to teach.

That's just my eye test view of them. I normalize CHL prospect scoring and adjust for league and team goals each year, and both Tkachuk and Dubois score very well (slight edge to Tkachuk). Tkachuk contributed offense to his team at about the same rate at Matt Barzal last year, Dubios was a notch below comparing to Anthony Beauvillier and Evgeny Svechnikov. Both are upper half of the first round level offensive contributors at the moment.

TL;DR I prefer Tkachuk, but I have a bias towards offense over defence. You can't go wrong with either, I think Tkachuk is more likely to be a top line forward. I am a nerd.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
btw draft combine stuff starts today and continues for the next few days

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
poo poo, if I could be guaranteed a Brandon Saad quality forward with a top 10 pick, I'd go for that, espesically with the Flames picking where they are.

Here's a wholly unrelated question: who's the best goalie in this draft? Not highest ranked, because that frequently means gently caress all. Calgary could use another goalie prospect, though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

poo poo, if I could be guaranteed a Brandon Saad quality forward with a top 10 pick, I'd go for that, espesically with the Flames picking where they are.

No pick is a guarantee, I use Saad as a stylistic comparison nothing more. Though imperfect, the Projection Project has Tkachuk at around a 75-80% chance of being a regular NHLer with around a 66% chance of being a first liner if he does. Those are good numbers (although likely inflated by him playing with Marner). Even rounding down 10-15% on each one gives you a safe bet at a quality NHLer. He's putting up 1st overall numbers. Dubois is still well a drat fine player, but lower across the board in terms of percentages. It's unlikely either will bust due to their high draft selection (which rarely fail to make the 200 game NHL mark in this day and age).

quote:

Here's a wholly unrelated question: who's the best goalie in this draft? Not highest ranked, because that frequently means gently caress all. Calgary could use another goalie prospect, though.

The answer is unquestionably Carter Hart from Everett IMO. He was fantastic to start the year, but slowed down a bit maybe as it wore on. He was still good enough to be named the CHL goaltender of the year, which is fantastic for a draft eligible player. He's not a big guy at 6'1", but I'm not sure that matter so much. He's no shorter than Jake Allen and at 18 he'll grow. He's a quick guy, so it's not a major concern for me. Goalies are very, very difficult to project so it's essentially a crap shoot selecting one, but as goaltender prospects go he's a good one. I could see him sneaking into the late first round.

Calgary have Mason McDonald and Jon Gillies in the system though. I don't think they should be wasting a high pick on a goaltender this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

No they don't. They have Jon Gillies, who is insanely good. He put up absurd numbers in college for a team that isn't traditionally a powerhouse (Providence) and was a major reason they won a national championship. He's the real deal.

A cursory look at his stats suggests he's been good in the AHL as well, but Calgary's goaltending situation is so bizarre that he hasn't really gotten an extended look.

I think he'll bounce back from injury well, although I suppose it's always a concern.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

No pick is a guarantee, I use Saad as a stylistic comparison nothing more. Though imperfect, the Projection Project has Tkachuk at around a 75-80% chance of being a regular NHLer with around a 66% chance of being a first liner if he does. Those are good numbers (although likely inflated by him playing with Marner). Even rounding down 10-15% on each one gives you a safe bet at a quality NHLer. He's putting up 1st overall numbers. Dubois is still well a drat fine player, but lower across the board in terms of percentages. It's unlikely either will bust due to their high draft selection (which rarely fail to make the 200 game NHL mark in this day and age).

The answer is unquestionably Carter Hart from Everett IMO. He was fantastic to start the year, but slowed down a bit maybe as it wore on. He was still good enough to be named the CHL goaltender of the year, which is fantastic for a draft eligible player. He's not a big guy at 6'1", but I'm not sure that matter so much. He's no shorter than Jake Allen and at 18 he'll grow. He's a quick guy, so it's not a major concern for me. Goalies are very, very difficult to project so it's essentially a crap shoot selecting one, but as goaltender prospects go he's a good one. I could see him sneaking into the late first round.

Calgary have Mason McDonald and Jon Gillies in the system though. I don't think they should be wasting a high pick on a goaltender this year.

Well, I ask because I don't think much of McDonald, and Gillies got his bell rung rather badly (hence why he only played 7 games for Stockton), and he's also already had hip surgery. I don't think Calgary should use their first rounder to grab Carter Hart, but I'd absolutely like to see if they can dig up a good prospect in the later rounds.

Also, and I realize drafting for need is a bad idea, but Calgary's goaltending was the worst in hockey last year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So here's a hopefully-fun stupid question:

There's a pretty good chance now that Toronto will be picking 30th and 31st. Normally two consecutive picks isn't that meaningful — you just choose two or three players one after another (or even at the same time sometimes? I forget if this happened with the Sedins). In the 30/31 case, though, there's a full day between picks. Is there anything new for Toronto to consider in this case? Like, is it possible that they hold off on picking someone at #30 because they feel like they can spend the night working out a trade for #31 (and, consequently, that player)?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I forget if this happened with the Sedins).

It did. I was hoping Boston would do that with their picks, but I guess they wanted to give each guy their moment in the sun individually.

quote:

Like, is it possible that they hold off on picking someone at #30 because they feel like they can spend the night working out a trade for #31 (and, consequently, that player)?

I really doubt the NHL would let them do that. They're trying to turn the first round into prime time drama viewing like the NBA or NFL draft, so finishing at 29 so the Leafs can work out a trade seems highly unlikely. With that said, knowing Dubas' reputation I imagine he'll just trade that first round pick for a 2nd and 4th or something.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 30, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I really doubt the NHL would let them do that. They're trying to turn the first round into prime time drama viewing like the NBA or NFL draft, so finishing at 29 so the Leafs can work out a trade seems highly unlikely. With that said, knowing Dubas' reputation I imagine he'll just trade that first round pick for a 2nd and 4th or something.

This is about the 30th and 31st picks. So Toronto would not choose whomever they had at #30 with the idea that they could either take him at #31 or trade that pick. There is no ending the first night early.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

This is about the 30th and 31st picks. So Toronto would not choose whomever they had at #30 with the idea that they could either take him at #31 or trade that pick. There is no ending the first night early.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I was wondering why you were asking that question.

I guess they could do that, but it seems needlessly complicated. Either way they're selecting a guy they value less than another first on the off chance they can spend the evening working out a better trade for the pick. It might work, but why not just trade the 29th on the draft floor? It's not like late first round picks fetch a high price unless they're part of a larger deal that are often finalized long before the pick actually takes place.

Plus it's a little rough on the player. NHL entry level contracts are largely determined by draft position (although not set in stone like the NFL), and the difference between a 1st and 2nd round pick is tens of thousands of dollars in salary and bonuses. Losing out on that because the team that drafted you played a complicated game of trade chicken on draft day would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Needless complication is the point of the exercise! You have two consecutive picks, with a day between them. What stupid poo poo could you get up to?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

draft the tkachuk peter

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Oh my.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Needless complication is the point of the exercise! You have two consecutive picks, with a day between them. What stupid poo poo could you get up to?

Well, it doesn't really use the advantage of the day in between but assuming the Leafs have two players they value equally at 30 (as in they don't care which they select and don't feel a strong need to select both) they could sell the 30th overall pick as essentially advertising space for another team.

The first round of the draft is aired nationally on CBC and NBCSN. I can't find TV ratings from last year's draft, but 1.5M canadians watched the draft lottery last month. The 2nd-7th rounds are streamed on NHL.com and on the NHL network. You can probably assume that less than 100,000 people watch it. That's a serious hit in terms of eyeballs. The Leafs don't need the extra advertising space, but would someone like the Carolina Hurricanes? In that way, the Leafs could refuse to trade the 31st (even though it's technically a worse pick) and force teams to pay more simply because the team would get to say their name on national TV again. It probably wouldn't be worth very much, but you never know.

Well I don't pay much heed to the LINEMATES argument, Gagner/Kane looks eerily similar to Tkachuk/Marner there.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Well I don't pay much heed to the LINEMATES argument, Gagner/Kane looks eerily similar to Tkachuk/Marner there.

I was more referring to McDavid/Crosby.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
buffalo is going to move up to 4th or 5th because tim murray is a god drat boss

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if minnesota really wants derek stepan as much as its been said they do i guess, i hope that they would send their 1st round pick + one of brodin/scandella/spurgeon. for him. and then that the rangers would draft jake bean or dante fabbro. thank you

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

buffalo is going to move up to 4th or 5th because tim murray is a god drat boss

5th is off the table unless a player like Sam Reinhart is coming back. The Canucks have been using "CANUCKS PICK FIFTH" as an advertising slogan for the last month and have a draft party planned. They aren't moving down.

The 4th is very much in play, but the Oilers are looking for an established first pairing defenceman in return. Bogosian seems like the only player that would fit from the Sabres (Risto too but he's not moving), and I doubt Buffalo wants to part with him for futures. Both teams are in need of NHL ready defencemen, I seriously doubt a trade would make sense between them.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks have been using "CANUCKS PICK FIFTH" as an advertising slogan for the last month and have a draft party planned. They aren't moving down.
What a lame slogan!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The 4th is very much in play, but the Oilers are looking for an established first pairing defenceman in return.

everyone is looking for an established first line/first pairing something in exchange for their 1st rounder, but 1st rounders aren't worth that (especially when we're talking trading up/down 4 spots) so it doesn't matter

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

whatis posted:

everyone is looking for an established first line/first pairing something in exchange for their 1st rounder, but 1st rounders aren't worth that (especially when we're talking trading up/down 4 spots) so it doesn't matter

Yeah well that's the asking price at the moment, and the 4th overall pick is hardly the same as the 16th pick that was moved for Reinhart last year. The Oilers can just select a player at 4th (likely Dubois or Tkachuk but Olli Juleovi if they want a D) if they don't get a good offer and go after a free agent defenceman. There's pressure on them to acquire a top pairing guy, but no immediate need to do so. Sabres aren't getting that pick for Josh Gorges and a 3rd.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

What a lame slogan! team

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 30, 2016

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah well that's the asking price at the moment, and the 4th overall pick is hardly the same as the 16th pick that was moved for Reinhart last year. The Oilers can just select a player at 4th (likely Dubois or Tkachuk but Olli Juleovi if they want a D) if they don't get a good offer and go after a free agent defenceman. There's pressure on them to acquire a top pairing guy, but no immediate need to do so. Sabres aren't getting that pick for Josh Gorges and a 3rd.

my original comment was more of a throwaway "i hope my team does a cool thing," but i think i've made it pretty clear in both posts that im talking about moving up from 8th, which implies parting with 8th OA + something for 4th or whatever. and there's a pretty huge gap between established first pairing guy and josh gorges, so i'm not sure why you're lecturing me on how spare parts won't be enough to make the oilers part with their pick because uhhhh no poo poo??

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Tkachuk Jr. needs to be called Flynn.

deoju fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 31, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

What are the chances the Habs do something monumentally stupid like dangle Beaulieu and their 1st rounder for the 4th?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Schlesische posted:

What are the chances the Habs do something monumentally stupid like dangle Beaulieu and their 1st rounder for the 4th?

Since it's Benning, Emelin and a 2nd will get the job done.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

Since it's Benning, Emelin and a 2nd will get the job done.

I forgot it was Benning, was worried it'd be Chiarelli.
Yeah, Emelin, Brown and a 2nd should see us home.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Schlesische posted:

I forgot it was Benning, was worried it'd be Chiarelli.
Yeah, Emelin, Brown and a 2nd should see us home.

It actually is Chiarelli. Oilers have the 4th overall pick, Canucks (and Benning) have the 5th overall pick.

Even if Chiarelli was offered up Beaulieu + the 9th for the 4th, he wouldn't take it because Beaulieu's a lefty. But if it was Petry, or maybe even Subban in a bigger deal... :v:

Kilza fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 31, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I'm sure they've offered, but no way the Oilers accept anything like that. Beaulieu and the 9th won't get a team the 4th overall pick this year. Top 5 picks are essentially never moved, and certainly not for a depth defender and a later top 10 pick. It's been 8 years since a pick higher than 8th overall was deliberately traded (Seguin pick in 2011 doesn't count), and that was the Leafs jumping up from 7th to 5th in 2008 to select Schenn.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I hope y'all like the new thread tag. I saw it and felt it was a good fit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How good of a chance is there Calgary picks walking Coke machine Logan Brown? I suspect I'd like to avoid that.....I'd much rather they pick Nylander, Tkachuk or Juolevi if they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

How good of a chance is there Calgary picks walking Coke machine Logan Brown? I suspect I'd like to avoid that.....I'd much rather they pick Nylander, Tkachuk or Juolevi if they can.

For a guy who hollers about truculence, Burke-run teams tend to be good about going with skill for their high picks. Late first you're in trouble, but probably safe from coke machines in the top 10. (Also Brown's going to the Canucks at 5 lmao.)

• Locked thread