Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on spec
Feb 2, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How good of a chance is there Calgary picks walking Coke machine Logan Brown? I suspect I'd like to avoid that.....I'd much rather they pick Nylander, Tkachuk or Juolevi if they can.

theyre gonna pick nylander and bexome the most handsome team in the league. and hartleys good with smaller guys and not so physically inclined guys. bennet nylander would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

For a guy who hollers about truculence, Burke-run teams tend to be good about going with skill for their high picks. Late first you're in trouble, but probably safe from coke machines in the top 10. (Also Brown's going to the Canucks at 5 lmao.)

I hadn't even considered that, now I feel better.

on spec posted:

theyre gonna pick nylander and bexome the most handsome team in the league. and hartleys good with smaller guys and not so physically inclined guys. bennet nylander would be cool

I'd be quite okay with that. Although they fired Hartley.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 1, 2016

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Canucks are going to trade up to select Brown and I'll have nothing left but tears

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

I hadn't even considered that, now I feel better.

I'd be quite okay with that. Although they fired Hartley.

Holy sh*t

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Tickets to the draft in Buffalo sold out in less than a minute, and are now appearing on StubHub starting at $100+

https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/status/738014809715793922

Jesus Christ people, it's the most boring poo poo imaginable to watch it live. I say it every year, but having seen a draft in person I can tell you it's not fun when there's no commentary and you're just watching awkward teenagers shake the hands of old guys on stage. No highlights. No analyst interpretation. No trade rumours. It's basically just a very slow highschool graduation where you don't know anyone in it personally.

I get that Leafs fans want to see Matthews, but save that money and spend it on an opening night ticket instead. It's way better and you'd actually get to see him do something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is there any chance the Habs can land Tkachuk or Nylander? The beat writers I've been reading have been saying that they're looking to trade up and the words 'trade' and 'habs' makes me go into convulsions

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Doltos posted:

Is there any chance the Habs can land Tkachuk or Nylander? The beat writers I've been reading have been saying that they're looking to trade up and the words 'trade' and 'habs' makes me go into convulsions

Oilers are dangling the 4th overall pick, so either is absolutely available. However, the Oilers are transitioning into win now so they want a top pairing defenceman in return. I don't think the Habs have anything they'd want (unless they lose their minds and consider trading Subban), so it probably won't happen. Trading down doesn't really make a lot of sense for Edmonton, they will likely just try and go big and trade out of the 1st entirely.

Tkachuk is for sure gone top 6, Nylander could slip to 9th though if the stars align.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
if the expansion draft is going to go ahead then the oilers probably aren't going to trade the 4th unless they get a hell of a deal, since whoever they trade for will have to be protected and tkachuk would be exempt. but maybe montreal is dumb enough to let subban get away, fingers crossed

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
ISS top 30 rankings received its final update today: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

laine officially passed pulju for 2nd, and nylander slipped from 4th to 6th behind tkachuk and dubois. other than that, no big movements

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
btw, if anyone is looking to go to buffalo for the draft and didn't get tickets, make reservations at 716 ASAP. it's a pretty nice sportsbar in the attached harborcenter...it will be way more fun than being in the actual arena. the restaurant has also played host to radio shows and things like that before, so there's a good chance of seeing nhl people or media types. it's also very likely the sabres will have some sort of activities lined up on draft day in the surrounding area, so it's probably going to be a nice area to be in

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Some minor draft pick updates:

Coyotes did not sign Connor Bleackley (acquired from Colorado) so get the 53rd overall pick as compensation.

No required compensation picks were activated (CBJ retains 2nd from Torts hiring, Toronto retains 3rd from LouLam hiring, Edmonton retains 2nd from Chiarelli hiring)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Some minor draft pick updates:

Coyotes did not sign Connor Bleackley (acquired from Colorado) so get the 53rd overall pick as compensation.

No required compensation picks were activated (CBJ retains 2nd from Torts hiring, Toronto retains 3rd from LouLam hiring, Edmonton retains 2nd from Chiarelli hiring)

Probably for the best that Benning doesn't get his paws on another 2nd rounder

Speaking of 2nd rounders, the Coyotes are probably better off with that compensatory 2nd than Bleackley, his numbers have gone down both seasons in Red Deer since being drafted 2 years ago.

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 1, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hand Knit posted:

(Also Brown's going to the Canucks at 5 lmao.)

Benning's taking noted Hard To Play Against Leader Pierre-Luc Dubois at five because he's got the intangible grittiness to lead the Canucks to glory.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Technetium posted:

Benning's taking noted Hard To Play Against Leader Pierre-Luc Dubois at five because he's got the intangible grittiness to lead the Canucks to glory.
Dubois is really, really good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ThinkTank posted:

Oilers are dangling the 4th overall pick, so either is absolutely available. However, the Oilers are transitioning into win now so they want a top pairing defenceman in return. I don't think the Habs have anything they'd want (unless they lose their minds and consider trading Subban), so it probably won't happen. Trading down doesn't really make a lot of sense for Edmonton, they will likely just try and go big and trade out of the 1st entirely.

Tkachuk is for sure gone top 6, Nylander could slip to 9th though if the stars align.

Yeah the only way they're trading Subban is if the Rangers have some lovely over the hill 29 year old on a horrible contract. Beaulieu will probably be the asking price and that would suck to give away.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Dubois is really, really good.

I wonder how good he is. For being such a big guy I'm surprised his numbers aren't a little better. Granted his points per game are still high but I wonder if that transitions well to a league where he isn't The Biggest Guy on the Ice. Compared to smaller players who put up equally high or higher numbers the past few years in their draft eligible years (Hubes/Drouin/Ehlers/NateMack). He also takes a boatload of penalties for whatever reason. Granted I'm no expert but those factors would concern me.

Watch him turn into Anze Kopitar mixed with Milan Lucic though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dubois is a good get. I'm totally comfortable with Benning selecting either him or Tkachuk, although my preference is the latter.

Doltos posted:

Yeah the only way they're trading Subban is if the Rangers have some lovely over the hill 29 year old on a horrible contract. Beaulieu will probably be the asking price and that would suck to give away.

Beaulieu and the 9th doesn't come close to equaling the 4th in value. Oilers want a top pairing guy, not a depth defenceman. They could get a better defenceman at 4th than Beaulieu will ever be. Why do Habs fans always talk like he's poised to be a star blue liner? He's 23 and has barely broken into the NHL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NHL posted:

BUFFALO -- Karpat right wing Jesse Puljujarvi, a projected top-three pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, said Thursday he will not participate in any of the fitness testing at the NHL Scouting Combine after having surgery on his left knee in May.

Puljujarvi, No. 2 on NHL Central Scouting's ranking of International skaters eligible for the draft, sustained the injury playing for Karpat in Liiga (Finland) on March 4.

"I don't like [that I can't participate]," Puljujarvi said. "But it's good; it's good. It's feeling better and better."

Puljujarvi participated in the functional movement screening test Thursday and has interviewed with 11 teams at the combine, which is being held at First Niagara Center and HarborCenter.

Puljujarvi was named the best forward and most valuable player at the 2016 World Junior Championship for gold medal-winning Finland in January, with seven goals and five assists in seven games. He also had five goals and two assists and helped Finland win the gold medal at the 2016 World Under-18 Championships in Grand Forks, N.D., in April.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The combine is loving useless anyway

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The best part about the combine is the Q&A because of the insane stories that emerge out of it. Like the one team that asked prospects to assemble a team for world historical figures to go up a mountain and one prospect picked Hitler as the leader because of some poo poo like "well he seemed pretty good at getting people to do stuff."

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The best part about the combine is the Q&A because of the insane stories that emerge out of it. Like the one team that asked prospects to assemble a team for world historical figures to go up a mountain and one prospect picked Hitler as the leader because of some poo poo like "well he seemed pretty good at getting people to do stuff."

That honestly seems like a better answer than most people would come up with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Please tell me there are more stories like that. Although I'm not sure there are any that'll top an NFL GM mistakenly asking a top prospect about his mom's past as a prostitute (she wasn't one).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Combine interviews also gave us Jack Johnson calling teammate Phil Kessel a dirtbag, which is especially funny/depressing in hindsight considering the eventual actions of people Johnson actually trusted.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Please tell me there are more stories like that. Although I'm not sure there are any that'll top an NFL GM mistakenly asking a top prospect about his mom's past as a prostitute (she wasn't one).

quote:

Ho-Sang says he was told that he played too selfishly, that he didn’t operate within the team’s systems. It wouldn’t be the last time he heard it. At the NHL Combine Ho-Sang was asked to interview with just 18 of the league’s 30 teams, a conspicuously low number for a player of his talent. Rumours swirled that Ho-Sang was on some teams’ do-not-draft lists, and that his attitude and maturity had turned many GMs off. Some of his interviews were essentially confrontations. He says that he walked into one room and the first thing a team said to him was “Why are you so poo poo defensively?” Ho-Sang asserted that he wasn’t, citing his plus-minus and his even-strength points. “They just kept going on about how I don’t play defence and how selfish I am. I just kept telling them I don’t get scored on. I have the puck. We’re good. I may not be in the position you want me to be in, but I don’t get scored on,” Ho-Sang says. “And they’d say, ‘Well, you will at the next level.’ But how do they know? That’s like saying it’s going to rain tomorrow. You may have a lot of the facts, but you still can’t control the weather.”

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

I saw a handful of prospects wandering around Buffalo on Monday. I wouldn't have noticed if not for the people following them around with memorabilia spilling out of their hands. I didn't recognize anybody besides Nylander. Are there any sites that show what these guys look like? My girlfriend couldn't understand why this tall, skinny, pimply faced kid was getting so much attention and i have no idea who it could be.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Holy crap. I hope he scores 60 goals out of spite (I am aware of how rarely people do that).

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Beaulieu and the 9th doesn't come close to equaling the 4th in value. Oilers want a top pairing guy, not a depth defenceman. They could get a better defenceman at 4th than Beaulieu will ever be. Why do Habs fans always talk like he's poised to be a star blue liner? He's 23 and has barely broken into the NHL.

With old man Markov and Emelin in the depth chart, Beaulieu gets slotted in the top pairing by default. It fucks with your perception pretty bad.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I am starting to worry about how #EvanderLaine will do in the Winnipeg media once Shiny New Toy Syndrome wears off.

There's also the possibility that Chevy just doesn't pick him and the city has a general meltdown instead.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

FBS posted:

I am starting to worry about how #EvanderLaine will do in the Winnipeg media once Shiny New Toy Syndrome wears off.

There's also the possibility that Chevy just doesn't pick him and the city has a general meltdown instead.

Yeah but he's white so he gets a pass.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Craig Button released his final rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-matthews-no-1-because-position-matters-1.503562

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

logan "joe thornton" brown

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Button having Brown to the Canucks was much funnier when he still had Brown like 13th or whatever. Made it clear the thought process of "whose only redeeming quality is YOU CAN'T TEACH SIZE?"

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

:eyepop: Wow Matt Phillips and Jack Walker shot up his rankings. :eyepop: Watched more than a few Royals games this year, not sure I'd grab Phillips at 33 but I'd been hoping Leafs could snag him mid round like 3-5. Jack Walker was also v impressive and hoped someone would snag him. If the Leafs don't move snagging any of Girard/DeBrincat/Abramov at the 30/31 slots is going to be awesome.

e: so much snag

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aaron Portzline breaks down what the CBJ may do at 3, including the possibility of trading down to get a center.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/06/bluejackets-nhl-draft.html

Jarmo apparently has two offers in hand for 3.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chicago and NYR not getting their first pick until the third round seems like less and less of a bad thing the more rankings I see released. Everyone outside the top 10 seems like theyre all equally a gamble on how they pan out.

I will tell myself this over and over no matter how wrong it actually is and I dont care about your fancy numbers proving that Im being dumb. :colbert:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Welp, that's the NHL season folks. The games are played, Crosby gets to spoon the cup again and loser fanbases' dreams of hope once again revolve around awkward 18 year old boys.

It's officially draft season y'all! 11 days to go. Final draft order is updated in the OP.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Toronto Maple Leafs need to make a draft-day trade to add a proven veteran winner to their lineup and locker room, they need to go get someone like Phil Kessel from the Penguins, a true Stanley Cup champion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kessel is a better player than soon-to-be $100M Leafs forward Steven Stamkos, and the Leafs are paying Kessel to play against them

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Stamkos is way better than Kessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I know we all assume Stamkos is a superduperstar but Stamkos hasn't been remotely the same guy the last 3 years. He's produced about the same number of goals and points per game as Kessel, playing only slightly more minutes per game (but fewer games, since Kessel is the most durable hockey player in the world) and slightly but not overwhelmingly better possession stats. He plays center and Kessel plays wing so if you think that adds extra value then there's that, although Stamkos is only mediocre at faceoffs.

Saying Kessel is better than Stamkos is an exaggeration for effect but a surprisingly small one. Stamkos is a good player and would be great to have at the $7M/year Kessel gets, but Toews money is an overpay for him IMO. It's a huge bet that the last couple years were an aberration and he'll get back to his age 19-22 level of production

• Locked thread