Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I meant Red Magnus, but now that you mention it Zeroken has some similarities too, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I really hope that Bug Hero Suit is a Kamen Rider reference. :allears:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was working on this game's guide during PAX in Seattle, and had dinner one night with a bunch of guys from NIS America. According to them, there's a guy in their studio who's responsible for a lot of the weird in-jokes in the American translation, like the King of Fighters reference in the description of the Rugal Spear. I guess they had a lot of leeway with that kind of thing.

I can tell you now, though, that in the Japanese version, the item's called the "Rider Suit." I found that out while we were translating the loot table for the toy machine.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I think we've all known there's a bunch of leeway in their translation and the addition of those little description jokes ever since the Berserker in the original, whose '...love for you is like a truck.'

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Got some work stuff to do that's taking up more time than I'd like, might have to delay to tomorrow. We'll play it by ear.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Twelve: The Netherworld’s Evilest Warrior

We open on a map with no lead-in, Corridor of Hell.

Video- Corridor of Hell

Watch

The preview already hints that this is a bit of a complicated Geo setup.

So, there are a series of No Entry ‘gates’ that we have to get through by dealing with the Symbols that provide the No Entry effect. We’ll need to split the party to do this efficiently, so make sure you can do that and still maintain the power you need. Otherwise this map will take for-loving-ever. Also take a look at this cruel trick.

So, make sure you just throw away the last No Entry symbol, because otherwise it seals you out of the last part of the map and forces you to restart. There are a couple of new enemy types here. The Masked Hero looks a lot like Space Detective Prinny Mask from Disgaea 3, he’s fast and good with Fists but fragile if you can get past is high SPD stat. Living Armors are kinda brutally powerful and you really don’t want to let them get hits on you if you can help it.

Now let’s head to the Inner Sanctum and confront these idiots.

Video- Inner Sanctum

Watch

That’s strange. She should’ve been here by now…
I can’t see her with my evil eye, either!? What’s going on!?
Shut up, you.
Haaahahahaha!
I finally have you cornered!
Gh… You’re here already!?
It’s time you paid your dues.
If you don’t want to die, honor me like they did and swear your allegiance to me!

Laharl is bad about setting up his own humiliation.

Huh? Wasn’t he talking about you?
Wait…who is he talking about?
Hey! Dammit, don’t embarrass me like that!
drat… What’s going on!? Hurry up, Barbara!
???: Did you call for me!?

Meet Barbara, the Netherworld’s Evilest Warrior. She was just chilling behind a statue, for reasons which will become readily apparent.

Ah, she’s finally here…! The final piece of our plan…!
Took you long enough! How could you make me wait a full day!?
What!? You were here since yesterday? Why didn’t you just come out!?
Fool…
Because no one called for me!
W-Well, I only told you to meet us here… I never told you to report in…
Which is why you were waiting for us to call for you!?
Exactly!
What’s with that idiot… Is she our next opponent?

And at the same time, she’s our perfect candidate for Overlord!
All of our previous battles were just to buy us time for her to get here!
It was all part of our plan!
…Didn’t she get here yesterday?
A perfect candidate for Overlord who won’t even come out until she’s called for? Don’t make me laugh.
It’s fine. She only acts when instructed to do so…but she’s so obedient, she’ll follow any orders we give her!
Not to mention she’s quite a fighter! If she becomes the Overlord, the Netherworld will be under our control!
In other words, the true successors of King Krichevskoy’s legacy will be in charge.
Wh-What a turn of events…!
So that was their plan to rule the Netherworld…!
Hmph, weak…
I won’t allow some fool who can’t make their own decisions to take my title of Overlord!
Now go, Barbara! Show that child…! That he’s not Overlord material!

Barbara does not do figurative language, though.

Fight me, you fool!
I see, understood.
Thank you for giving me a specific order. But let me tell you one thing…
The one who calls someone else a fool is the true fool!

Oh Barbara, you are the best. Anyway let’s look at the map.

So we’re up against Barbara, who’s supported by some Archers and Witches. The Krichevskoy Group is also there, but they won’t engage unless we get close and we don’t have to defeat them to finish the map. Let’s look at Barbara, who’s by a LONG margin the biggest threat we’ve faced so far in this game.

So, Barbara is one of the new Armor Knights, and we’re goddamn lucky the computer doesn’t really know what to do with her because this map would be loving brutal if it did. Her Evility is based around Defending, and both makes her stronger and lets her counter while doing so. Just be glad the computer doesn’t just have her move into a group of the squishies and Defend because only way you’d break that formation is with AoE and prayer. She can still take a lot of damage and hits really hard, so make sure you’ve cleared the ranged enemies before she engages.

Video- Chapter 3 Lead Out

Watch

Did you see that!? The perfect loss for your perfect candidate for Overlord!
Barbara, how could you lose!? You didn’t use the full extent of your strength! Did you take it easy on them!?
What? You wanted me to win?
Then why didn’t you tell me to win!? I was only told to fight!
Were our orders not sufficient…!? Gh…a surprising weakness for a demon who only follows orders…!
…Dumbasses.
I’ll give you one last chance to accept me as your Overlord. Do you accept?
Nonsense…!
Wait, Garungun.
We will accept our defeat. However, I want you to answer one question…
Are you aware of the changes that are occurring in the Netherworld?
Changes?
How foolish! You were playing brother and sister, all the while not knowing what was happening around you?
We’re not playing! We really are siblings!
Umm…I don’t understand what’s happening, but what’s going on?
Take a look outside.
Outside?
What!?

Anyway, we finally see what it is that the Krichevskoy Group’s dumb hats and chains and squiddy fins in a bunch.

Whoa… It’s disgustingly vast.
Huh? What’s the problem here?
They’re Yuie flowers!? But I thought they don’t bloom here…
R-Really…!? Because they’re definitely blooming…
Don’t play dumb! It’s all you angels’ fault!
Wh-What!? I don’t know anything about this!
This never happened until we started interacting with Celestia.
We’ve done everything from cutting those flowers to burning them, but they keep growing back right away.
Not to mention the area is spreading. At this rate, it won’t be long before the Netherworld looks like Celestia.
Let me ask you one more thing… Shouldn’t this be considered an invasion by Celestia?
Celestia would never do such a thing!
Then how do you explain the flowers!?
Well…
If King Krichevskoy were alive today, he would never have overlooked this.
Precisely. King Krichevskoy would’ve already saved the Netherworld by himself.
Which is why we need to carry on his legacy and protect the Netherworld!

Now that they’ve explained themselves, Laharl kinda takes them the gently caress apart here.

What!?
Krichevskoy this, Krichevskoy that… How much longer do people plan to hide in the shadow of the dead!?
Carry on his legacy? How can you do that when you can’t even become the Overlord yourself!?
Or is my old man’s legacy just something you can carry on with such little determination?
Gh… But at this rate, the Netherworld will…
Don’t panic.
I’ll make the Prinnies investigate the flowers. If Celestia is trying to invade, I’ll drive them back.
…Do you swear by these words?
Of course. As Overlord, I can’t allow this.
So just shut up and accept me as your Overlord!
Why should I!?
Calm down, Rainier. I understand how you feel, but there’s no time to waste. We have no choice…
Dammit!
All right, Prince Laharl. We accept you…for now…
Good. My old man’s not the Overlord anymore, I am!
Hmhmhm…
Haaahahahaha!

Sicily is at least smart enough not to actually say the first thing that comes to her head.

What is it, Sicily?
It’s nothing. It’s just…
Big Brother’s the one who’s hiding in Daddy’s shadow more than anyone…
I keep seeing him get all riled up whenever he hears Daddy’s name…
…You could be right.
But I don’t think you should bring it up in front of him
Why not?
I think you two would just get in a fight.

And that’s the chapter.

And now for the preview, where Etna’s not happy.

So, we’re going to be cutting some of the girl characters. You’re first, Sicily.
What!? But I just got here… Gah!?
You’re next, Flonne.
Etna, please stop! I’m in the middle of watching my super hero sh--! Gwah!?

drat you! I’m the Overlord! You can’t just—grah!

Wait a minute, hold on! I’m not a girl…
Hmhmhm, we’ll see about that!

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Netherworld’s Greatest Idol!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Feinne posted:

Wait a minute, hold on! I’m not a girl…
Hmhmhm, we’ll see about that!

Ominous.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Poor Etna, she thinks that turning Laharl into his own weakness will destroy but, but it will instead cure him!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Laharl will still be flat, but they will have something in common.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I really like how Laharl is handled in this chapter. It shows that while he may not act all that different from before he has matured a bit and his character development is still there. Before Laharl would have been well... while not liking the Krichevskoy group he would have been immediately blaming the angels for the changes in the netherworld, but here he is amazingly showing restraint and actually attempting to figure out what is actually going on. It is something that I really like.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Finally, a group that matches Team Laharl in competence.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Sicily, you've known Laharl for less than a day. What the hell are you talking about? Oh, he looks traumatized by his father's murder and his vassal's inability to understand why someone with millennia of experience as Overlord was better at the job than someone who's been at it for less than THREE YEARS? Well, isn't that a complete and utter shock.

At least give the kid some time to literally grow up!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Didn't take me years playing D1 to get a couple thousand levels. Laharl needs to step up his game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

Finally, a group that matches Team Laharl in competence.

They even have the whole 'arguing with each other as much as fighting us' thing down.

Laharl does a really good job there showing he's got a much better idea with respect to being Overlord than it sometimes seems.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Didn't take me years playing D1 to get a couple thousand levels. Laharl needs to step up his game.

He, along with everyone else, has been busy using the reincarnation mechanic: it's a never ending arms race where today's strongest is tomorrow's weakling.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

He, along with everyone else, has been busy using the reincarnation mechanic: it's a never ending arms race where today's strongest is tomorrow's weakling.

It is great that Disgaea 2 showed that is a legit real aspect of the universe and not just a game thing, since Overlord Zenon reincarnating was why Rozalin was level 1.

Update most likely tomorrow, when I also need to get some of Episode 4 recorded as well. Been playing too much Odin Sphere.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've also been playing Odin Sphere. My impression so far is that it's a game mainly about hammering R1 to do cool flips, and occasionally also fighting things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Feinne posted:

It is great that Disgaea 2 showed that is a legit real aspect of the universe and not just a game thing, since Overlord Zenon reincarnating was why Rozalin was level 1.

So how much of a badass is Adell for managing to smooch the bloodthirstiest Overlord in the universe into sanity?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So how much of a badass is Adell for managing to smooch the bloodthirstiest Overlord in the universe into sanity?

That wasn't badassness, that was manliness and cologne.
(E: Zam)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Thirteen: Changes

Well we found out what the Krichevskoy Group were all upset about last time. And now for something completely different.

Video- “Changes”

Watch

Sicily! Is Effort Ninja Gorillian on…!?
It just ended.
How could I possibly have overslept on the one day I forget to set the DVR…?
It was the episode where Gorillian first starts to have feelings for his rival, Chimpan G. It was supposed to be awesome!
Not only that, but Moe Girl Orangutina showed up, turning it into an angst triangle.
That sounds super!
I wish I saw that… I can’t wait till the DVDs come out…
It’s rare for you to oversleep.
It’s strange.
No matter how late I stayed up watching anime, I was always able to wake up on time…
It was one of the things I was really proud of myself for…
???: You shouldn’t be so proud of that…

Enter Etna, who appears to be having a small problem.

Um, if something’s bothering you, we can talk about it, you know.
What? Why? What are you talking about?
Wh-What the hell!? I look like I’m Player 2!
This has gotta be the Prince’s handiwork!
Why would you blame him first!? Aren’t you his vassal?
???: Shut up, everyone! I’m trying to sleep in!

Laharl, as it happens, is having a much worse day.

W-Wait, you talk just like…!
And those antennae…!
Big…Brother…!?
Are you trying to make a fool of me…? If I wasn’t me, who would I be!?

And so we’re in Episode 4.

Laharl is actually taking this way better than you’d expect.

Apparently, all of the sudden changes to the Netherworld have been affecting some demons.
Like all those flowers, for example. I think that’s to blame.
So…can I change back?
It depends on the person, but as soon as your body adapts to the changes, it’ll change back.
A few of the Prinnies grew some hair, but they went bald gain right away.
Whew… I don’t know what I would’ve done if I became a permanent late riser.
Who cares about that!? I became a damned woman for Overlord’s sake!
I can’t stand how big my butt and boobs are!!!
Listen, Prince…if you ever complain about that again, I will cut you, ya know.
That’s right! Don’t get too cocky, just because your body is somewhat voluptuous…
…I’m getting a really flat vibe from you two.

Sicily meanwhile is totally ditching us.

What are you watching, Sicily?
Oh, ummm…
You’re pretty brave to be watching TV while I’m going through a crisis…
Hmmm, Nether Idol Lanzarote, huh?
Who’s that?
Huh!? You’ve never heard of Lanza?
Nope, and I don’t care.
She’s a super popular idol who’s just hit her prime.
I think she’s on a Netherworld tour right now.
In terms of popularity, she’s way more famous than you, Prince…
What!? I’m less famous than some idol chick!?
Sicily, do you like Lanza?
N-No, not really… She just kinda caught my attention…
I don’t want to see her in concert, or anything!
Yeah, I’m guessing she wants to go to her concert, Prince.
Not gonna happen.
…Thought so.

Looks like we’ll be going to a concert.

What…?
I don’t care if she is an idol, I can’t allow her to be famous without my permission!
We’re leaving right now! Get ready!
I’m so happy for you, Sicily!
…Yeah.

So before we move on, let’s look at what’s happened to Laharl and Etna.

So in this form Laharl does in fact count as a girl for anything that cares about gender, and she also has a different Evility. Instead of getting 10% more stats for defeating an enemy, she gets 25% more for defeating an enemy of equal or higher level. The vocals in battle are also really hilarious.

Etna is the same as normal, she’s just in Player 2 colors.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is a weird chapter, but it's kind of funny that Laharl has a better figure than the girls.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is a weird chapter, but it's kind of funny that Laharl has a better figure than the girls.

Why wouldn't he? As the Overlord he is naturally superior in everything!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

This chapter is part of why I didn't do Disgaea 5 first, because Ladyharl is one of the DLC characters you get from the start. That and Sicily is part of the DLC where you also get the rest of the Disgaea crew.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks for the rule 63. Etna's prinny doll is the same color.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I watched the video to hear what Ladyharl's voice is like...and good god Flonne is squeaky. I'm amazed they found a voice actor with that kind of range, but I wish they hadn't.

Weirdly, Ladyharl's voice seems more even-keeled than Laharl's does.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't this. It's absolutely hilarious though!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Now we see why it's called Disgaea D2!

:vince:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

So this is now happening. :stare:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Please don't body-shame.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FractalSandwich posted:

Please don't body-shame.

Or Etna will cut you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, Feinne: are you still planning on using that thing I sent you? If you are I have a better version you should use instead.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, Feinne: are you still planning on using that thing I sent you? If you are I have a better version you should use instead.

Oh good do send it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I watched the video to hear what Ladyharl's voice is like...and good god Flonne is squeaky. I'm amazed they found a voice actor with that kind of range, but I wish they hadn't.

Weirdly, Ladyharl's voice seems more even-keeled than Laharl's does.

Yes Sandy Fox (who's been Flonne in the whole series) can definitely hit about as high as you can imagine.

I'm pretty sure Ladyharl is still Barbara Goodson. I really like that Laharl is more annoyed that some idol is more popular than he is than that he's been temporarily transformed into a lady.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Feinne posted:

I really like that Laharl is more annoyed that some idol is more popular than he is than that he's been temporarily transformed into a lady.

Character polls are serious business.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Feinne posted:

I'm pretty sure Ladyharl is still Barbara Goodson. I really like that Laharl is more annoyed that some idol is more popular than he is than that he's been temporarily transformed into a lady.

Yeah Ladyharl is probably just Barbara speaking normally instead the growly voice she usually does for Laharl.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

I really like that Laharl is more annoyed that some idol is more popular than he is than that he's been temporarily transformed into a lady.

He can just murder anyone that gives him poo poo about it, and whatever, it's temporary, at least he found a bra.
Now, the idol, she could be trying to leverage her popularity into a rebellion, and we can't have that.

Prediction: we're totally going to have an idol-off between Laharl and Lanza, aren't we? Although this is Disgaea, so it will involve violence.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Oh good do send it.
Done.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Omobono posted:

He can just murder anyone that gives him poo poo about it, and whatever, it's temporary, at least he found a bra.
Now, the idol, she could be trying to leverage her popularity into a rebellion, and we can't have that.

It gets weirder than that, actually - if you notice, Ladyharl didn't even know what had happened until Etna and Flonne reacted. Either somebody put a bra on him*, or the transformation actually modified his outfit accordingly. This being the Netherworld, neither of those is all that unlikely. If one of those hadn't happened, logically he'd have been kind of bouncing in the wind.

*gender-transformed characters require some extra thought for pronouns. Laharl is originally male and still identifies that way even in a new body, so I just stuck with male pronouns.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I think there's a mention somewhere that some demon species just grow their clothes as part of their body? (The MC of D5 at least has it that way, and I think it's mentioned he and Laharl are the same race?) So when Laharl was randomly genderswapped, his clothes changed form to maintain his image.

It's just that due to the laws of anime, a 13 year old girl has the figure of an eighteen year old, and a 13 year old boy is just a 13 year old boy, so he's actually wearing more as the Rule 63 version to avoid getting sued by moral guardians.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alectai posted:

I think there's a mention somewhere that some demon species just grow their clothes as part of their body? (The MC of D5 at least has it that way, and I think it's mentioned he and Laharl are the same race?) So when Laharl was randomly genderswapped, his clothes changed form to maintain his image.

It's just that due to the laws of anime, a 13 year old girl has the figure of an eighteen year old, and a 13 year old boy is just a 13 year old boy, so he's actually wearing more as the Rule 63 version to avoid getting sued by moral guardians.

Pretty sure that's in fact how it works, and at least some parts of the outfits of various characters are effectively part of their bodies. Not like they're organs or something, just demon/angel magic or what have you. I actually think Laharl's scarf effectively acts as a pair of wings when he needs them.

It's the same phenomenon that caused Flonne to palette swap from blue to red even in clothing when she became a fallen angel.

Oh and Odin Sphere isn't ALL about doing sweet backflips and sometimes fighting, it's ALSO about saying "RELOAD!" every time you reload as Mercedes like it's House of the Dead or something.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I actually beat Odin Sphere back when it was on the PS2--good times.

Even if the lag was uncanny.

• Locked thread