Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Flowers, Intrigue, and Further Exploding Penguins: Disgaea D2

Video- Main Title Animation

Watch

So, this gets complicated. The original Disgaea did in fact have a sequel, Disgaea 2, which did in fact follow directly after the first game (though its main characters were only tangential to that plot). This game, while set after that one, is a direct sequel to the original Disgaea, featuring its main characters (though Captain Gordon and his friends have returned to Earth). It’s also probably the second best of the series (the most recent entry, Disgaea 5, is unreasonably good). It introduces a bunch of really awesome refinements to the gameplay and just in general is amazing.

Cast:

Laharl:

The Overlord of the Netherworld, and son of the late King Krichevskoy and a human witch. In the couple of years since the original Disgaea, he has found a pair of pants. He’s otherwise still a huge jerk. Voiced by Barbara Goodson.

Etna:

Laharl’s vassal. Manages the endless squad of Prinnies that does all the actual work around the castle. While she’s constantly messing with Laharl, she does earnestly want to help him become a proper Overlord like his father. Voiced by Michelle Ruff.

Flonne:

A fallen Angel. Helped Laharl become the Overlord, and since being kicked out of Celestia has hung around the castle. Is always talking about love. Voiced by Sandy Fox.

Sicily:

An angel who shipped herself to the Netherworld. Wants to become the Overlord.

Xenolith:

A mysterious demon we met at the gates of Celestia. Enigmatic as gently caress. Sent a letter to Etna to meet him in Agul Eviland, where it seems she is originally from. No seriously he is enigmatic as all outdoors.

Barbara:

The Netherworld's Evilest Warrior, and the Krichevskoy Group's candidate for Overlord. Is unable to do anything unless ordered first, and is very precise in carrying out said orders even to her detriment.

Grosso:

We met him after he destroyed one of Laharl's statues. Claims to be a former vassal of King Krichevyskoy, and does not recognize Laharl as Overlord.

Garungun:

A big red jerk. Part of the Krichevskoy Group.

Rainier:

Some kind of slug mermaid or something. Also part of the Krichevskoy Group.

Seraph Lamington:

Celestia's leader. A really chill guy.

Virunga:

An angel the Seraph was talking with. You could probably assume he's Vulcanus' replacement, because he is.

Table of Contents:
One: Qualities of an Overlord, Lead In
Two: Mondo Grosso
Three: Statuesque
Four: Statue Showdown
Five: The Mysterious Angel Girl Sicily, Lead In
Six: Ice is Nice
Seven: Frozen Showdown
Eight: News and Sisters
Nine: The Item World
Ten: The Raid
Eleven: The Mermaid and the Djinn
Twelve: The Netherworld's Evilest Warrior
Thirteen: Changes
Fourteen: Gatecrashers
Fifteen: Manager
Sixteen: The Ultimate Idol Showdown
Seventeen: The Celestial Suspicion
Eighteen: Flowery Path
Nineteen: Stairway to Heaven
Twenty: The Mysterous Warrior, Xenolith
Twenty-one: Etna's Letter
Twenty-two: The Super Idol Appears?
Twenty-three: Welcome to the Jungle
Twenty-four: The Jungle Book
Twenty-five: Nostalgia
Twenty-six: The Truth About Angels
Twenty-seven: The Porker Protege
Twenty-eight: The Missing Angels
Twenty-nine: More Comic Misunderstandings
Thirty: The Demon Angel
Thirty-one: Unsurprising Issue
Thirty-two: These Jerks Again
Thirty-three: The New King
Thirty-four: Barbara Strikes Back
Thirty-five: Pure
Thirty-six: Prinny Land
Thirty-seven: The Search
Thirty-eight: The Search Continues
Thirty-nine: The Return of the Evilest Warrior
Forty: The Eternal Netherworld
Forty-one: The March of Magic
Forty-two: Together
Forty-three: Sibling Showdown
Forty-four: The Artifact Unleashed
Forty-five: DLC: The Princess, the Witch, and the Black Reaper
Forty-six: DLC: The Mascot, the Fallen Maiden, and a Hot-Blooded Redhead
Forty-seven: DLC: The Chroma, an Angel, and an Oracle?
Forty-eight: DLC: A Pair of Princesses and a Legendary Delinquent
Forty-nine: DLC: A Mad Scientist and a Lady Gentleman
Fifty: DLC: A Brutal Maiden, A Kindly Ghost, and A Navel Knave
Fifty-one: The Melancholy of Barbara
Fifty-two: Our Battle With Nepotism
Fifty-three: Eyebeams

Class Discussions:
Long Live The Fighters
Fists of the North Star, and It's a Kind of Magic
The Overlord and His Posse
The Monster Mash, Part 1
The Strongest Sisters
The Monster Mash, Part 2
Healing and Stealing
Take a Bow
Knightfall
Sword and Shadow
It's High Noon
Dragon and Cat
The Slug and the Succubus
Glitter, Green Sludge, and Gig
The Netherworld's Hero and a Pair of Redheads

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

One: The Qualities of an Overlord, Lead In

The main theme of Disgaea D2 is Hell’s Whisper, as in the first game. Listen for more familiar tracks here coming up.

Video- “Episode 1 Lead In”

Watch

In the past, this world was ruled by an Overlord with unrivaled charisma named Krichevskoy.
After this great Overlord passed away, many demons rose to become the next Overlord, plunging the Netherworld into an age of chaos.
It was then that one demon announced his claim to become the next Overlord.
That demon was Laharl, the only son of Overlord Krichevskoy.
He crushed every demon that stood in his way and forced himself upon the title of Overlord.
He was helped by Angel Trainee Flonne, and after many twists and turns, the Netherworld and Celestia started interacting.
However, because she had harmed other angels, Angel Trainne Flonne became a Fallen Angel and moved into the Overlord’s Castle with Laharl.
A few years later—

We open on the Overlord’s Castle.

Hmm…hmm…hmmmm.
Hmm… This is strange. They should be sprouting soon…
I had them send me Yuie flower seeds all the way from Celestia… Did I plant them wrong?
No! It’s probably because I haven’t given these enough affection!
I shall nourish these plants with my overflowing love!
Here you go! Drip drip!

Enter the Overlord, Laharl.

Owww…
Oh, it’s you, Flonne.
What are you doing talking to the ground? You’re as strange as ever…
No! What are you doing, Laharl…?
Ahhhhhhhh!
Hmhmhm…surprised? I destroyed every star in sight!
Apparently the demons in the Netherworld haven’t realized that I’ve become the Overlord yet.
If I show them proof of my absolute power, they won’t be able to help but admire my greatness!
I don’t care about that!
…Huh?
You destroyed my garden that I’ve worked so hard on! How could you!?
Garden? Who cares!? The whole Netherworld belongs to me, the Overlord.
I decide what gets destroyed and what doesn’t.
You’re terrible. I wanted to show you my favorite flowers…
Prince!

Meteor-based entries are in this season.

Prince, you’re overreacting.
If that would’ve been enough to kill you, I would’ve killed you a long time ago.
You are, as always, a terrible vassal.
Anyway, Prince, most demons can destroy the stars, ya know.
You can destroy as many stars as you want, but no one’ll accept you as the Overlord just for that.
What? Are you saying that all my hard work has been a complete waste of time?
Yup. Absolutely.
Why didn’t you tell me earlier? It’s a vassal’s job to keep an eye out for stuff like that!
What’s wrong, Flonne? You’re shaking. If you gotta pee, you really shouldn’t try and hold it, ya know.
No, that’s not it! Thanks to you two, my garden is completely ruined!
Please apologize to the Celestial Flowers that were trying to hard to sprout!

Yes! I received some Yuie seeds. Although subtle, they bloom into very pretty white flowers!
Umm, Flonne…flowers from Celestia don’t bloom in the Netherworld, ya know.
What?
Good for you! I saved you from wasting your time. You should thank me for that.
Wh-Why didn’t you tell me earlier!?
Don’t be stupid. You never asked.
W-Well yeah, but…
Not to mention, I’m busy. I don’t have time for flowers!
That’s right. You need to hurry up and get people to treat you like an Overlord.
Hmph, just you watch. I’ll show every demon that I am a much superior Overlord than my old man was!
W-Wait for me! I wanna come, too!

If they’d stayed around slightly longer, they’d have seen something unusual happen.

Enter Episode 1.

Hold on, first things first. There are way too many demons who don’t even know that I became the Overlord.
So, I’ve decided to have monuments celebrating my ascension to Overlord set up all over the Netherworld.
Etna!
I know, I know… I ordered all my vassals to get to work on that, nonstop, without food or sleep.
Prinny Squad! Get your asses over here!

Master Etna, is this good, dood?
Wow, that is pretty good for you guys.
It’s our masterpiece, dood!

What? You’re the one who told me to make Laharl statues…
Look at the antennae. They look exactly like yours, right?
Shouldn’t you focus on the face?
This is amazing! It looks exactly like Laharl! Especially the antennae!
Can we not focus on the antennae so much?
It looks enough like you! Don’t be so picky, Prince.
Hmm…I don’t really like it, but I guess it’ll do.
Now, go erect these Laharl statues!

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Mondo Grosso. We’ll talk about game mechanics and the tutorials will show us some of the changes since last time, and perhaps we’ll make a new enemy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

megamariox posted:

Wow. Nice to see this. This game is definitely one of the best in the series. It helped restore my faith in the series especially after 4. Anyway looking forward to the rest of the let's play. Good luck.

Yeah I think they took a good, hard look at where things were after 4 and realized they needed to go the opposite direction on like every new mechanic they'd added in 3.

Then of course they refined the hell out of stuff for 5 and ended up with a game that's a dream to play.

Oh and on the subject of luck this has started way later than I intended originally because I'm suffering through some technical difficulties behind the scenes, the computer I record on is nearing the end of its life and sometimes decides to crash while I'm recording. Between that and my work schedule I'm currently shooting for an update every few days (I've actually got the whole first episode and about half of 2 recorded but since I'm traveling next week I can't afford to just blaze it out this week).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Omobono posted:

Glad to see these assholes (and Flonne) are still as dysfunctional as ever.

:(
Come back, oh captain. He'll be back right? He's the Slayer of the Netherworld after all, he can't quit on his job.

Yeah, but Disgaea 2's postgame already established that they've hosed off home. They ARE actually in another Disgaea sequel though, the visual novel Disgaea Infinite (which is hilarious and if you have a PSP/Vita you should totally check it out).

And if they WERE still around they'd have to come up with an excuse for why they weren't in the party for a while, because they'd really break the early game (especially with some of the new mechanics).

Oh, there's another Disgaea Infinite thing of note, Flonne's taking correspondence courses to restore her Angel certification because apparently you can do that.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I only played 1 and 2 before making a full transition to PC. 2016 is going to be a great help for my addiction. D1 is just too slow without skipping animations, so I was happy it got one of the better ports. How is Phantom Brave?

Phantom Brave is pretty great and its plot is one of the best NIS has ever done, with the caveat that the game mechanics can be quite obtuse and the plot is also one of the harshest NIS has ever done.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ModeWondershot posted:

ohboyohboyohboy. I am looking forward to this LP for sure, but I'm also going to have to finish my own first playthrough before too long!

For Feinne: Will the Cheat Shop see some use to aid in off/on-screen grinding, or will this first playthrough avoid using it?

The thing in question is a mechanic sent from Celestia itself and I will be making use of it where appropriate (which isn't really so much early on when the mins and maxes aren't that high). One of many things I'll be discussing next update (which will also include the tutorial maps).

Oh and I'll also be getting the pair of DLC characters that you can get from the assembly at any time about Chapter 3 or so, because they're super usable. Like not as good as the DLC characters Disgaea 5 lets you have from the start, but that's because one of those characters is literally like the second best character in the whole game.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 17, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't like the characters or story in this game at all, and I predicted I'll be talking a lot of poo poo about them in the thread, so I gave Feinne a preemptive peace offering. More on that later.

There are better disgaea casts but only one of those casts is in a better actual game than this is my position on this subject. For example disgaea 4 probably has a better cast but there are a lot of really lovely choices made in the gameplay (you mostly don't feel them until the postgame though, so if you don't actually do postgames 4's pretty okay).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That's also true. I dislike Laharl and co. enough that I think the Vita version of Disgaea 4 is a little better than this game overall, but Disgaea 5 is so much better than either of them that that's really just splitting hairs.

Vita Disgaea 4 does incorporate some of the mechanics that make this game great and is definitely superior to the PS3 version, and if you have to play Disgaea 4 is the correct way to do it.

Should have an update tomorrow with a bunch of game mechanic talk and the tutorials, I've got enough backlog content that I'm comfortable trying to get Episode 1 done this week.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

It does level his skill.

Yeah that intro with the laugh was one of many, many moments in this game that is straight love for fans of the original since that is of course his Meteor Impact skill faithfully recreated (It is back of course though we won't see it for a long time).

One other reference, I'm pretty sure the Yuie flowers Flonne is planting are the flower she gets briefly turned into just before the climactic battle of the original game.

This game also has the single widest range of bonus characters (counting DLC) in the series (as far as number of games they're sourced from).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 18, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Two: Mondo Grosso

Today we’ve got a bunch of tutorials. I’m going to include the videos of the tutorial maps, but I’m going to just summarize the actual tutorial text rather than transcribe it so I can focus more on what’s new. Our hub is the Overlord’s Castle, which has seen some improvements since the original game.

If you want to go outside the castle, talk to the Dimension Guide, Meaver.
She’ll open up the dimensional gate and send you wherever you wanna go.
Move with the directional buttons or Left Stick. Change the view by pressing L1 or R1.
Or press square+L1 or square+R1 to adjust the zoom.
Press triangle to open the Main Menu. You can Save the game or change equipment there.

We can’t really do anything around the castle right now because nothing’s open, so we’ll just head to the Dimension Guide. Disgaea D2’s tutorials are connected to the plot, so we aren’t actually allowed to skip them.

Video- Tutorial 1

Watch

It seems like not everyone’s excited that we’re putting up ugly statues of Laharl.

Looks like they’re the locals.
And, it looks like they don’t want you to put up your statue. Whaddaya want us to do, Prince?
Do you really need to ask…?
I don’t care who they are, destroy anyone who gets in my way!
Enta: Well said, Prince! There wasn’t even an ounce of pity!
W-W-Wait! I’m sure we can just talk to them.
Good idea. I know sign language, so I think I’ll let my fists do all the talking.
I see! That was kinda clever… B-But that’s not what I meant!
It’s pretty courageous of them to go up against the Overlord…
I shall crush them all, and engrave my name into their bodies and fear of the Overlord into their souls!

So we get a tutorial on basics here.

For those not familiar with the series, we dispatch characters from the Base Panel (up to 10). Each character can move once per turn and act once per turn. We register actions, which don’t happen until we execute them. This allows for Combos (where multiple consecutive attacks against a target will do increased damage) and Team Attacks (where adjacent allies have a chance of joining in on a regular melee range attack). One new mechanic is the Support Attack, where allies that are in range can attack an enemy that an ally just attacked. These are part of the Combo counter, so we can get some pretty sick setups on enemies if we do it right. When we run out of actions or select End Turn the enemy gets to act, and play proceeds from there.

When we return, the store and hospital are open.

Finally… Man, what a hassle.
It’ll cost you money, but you can heal at the Netherworld Hospital. Make sure to heal after every battle.
The Rosen Queen Co. has a shop that sells weapons and equipment, as well as a shop that sells consumable items.
You can buy healing items there. Just make sure you buy enough to last for a while.
Regarding weapons and equipment, it’s always better to equip stronger items. Try to keep up on upgrading them.
You can talk to Zommie about weapons. He’s pretty informative.

The hospital is pretty self explanatory, we pay money between maps to restore the health and SP of our characters and if necessary revive them. Let’s talk weapons, though. There are now eight classes of human weapons:

Fists: Fists are melee range weapons whose skills focus on relocating enemies. They use the Attack and Speed stat to determine damage, which means that Fist users are naturally going to be very good at evading attacks. Fist damage is generally slightly below average though, because of the split stat.

Swords: Swords are the baseline melee weapon, and have a wide variety of skills with elemental properties and area of effect. You can pretty much never go wrong with swords.

Spears: Spears can attack at a range of two squares instead of one, and their skills excel at area of effect attacks and relocating the user. Spears in general have inferior attack stats but also add to your defense, which is actually a positive due to some new mechanics in the game involving defense.

Bows: Bows are one of our ranged options. They’ve got a four square range, base their damage on Attack and Hit, and their skills are usually area of effect based. Bows are amazing for Support Attacks since they cover so many squares with their range, but are generally wasted in the hands of characters besides the Archer class.

Guns: Guns are the other ranged option. They’ve got a five square range, but can only attack in a straight line from the user. Their skills have a similar restriction. Guns base their damage on Hit and Speed, and can lower the Speed stat of targets hit.

Axes: Axes are focused heavily on single target damage, and do it quite well. Hitting a target with an axe also reduces their Defense stat, which makes them good at the start of a combo to soften up enemies.

Staves: Staves are one of our two magic-based weapons. They have a range of two like a Spear, and base their damage on Intelligence instead of Attack. They don’t have any skills, though, instead wielding a staff increases the range and area of effect of your spells.

Books: Books are a new weapon type. They are Intelligence based melee weapons that provide a variety of skills that do magic damage. They’re a pretty cool option for classes that don’t get innate magical offense like Clerics.

Monsters have two classes of weapons, ones that raise Attack and Hit and ones that raise Attack and Intelligence. Casters get the latter, everyone else gets the former.

Let’s take a look at the characters we’ve got while we’re at it, starting with Laharl.

Laharl is good with Fists, Swords, and Axes. He’s got great all-around stats (though he’s not ever going to be a great caster). Let’s take a look at another returning mechanic for him now, his Evility.

Evilities are innate properties of a character, that tend to give them some kind of major special advantage. Laharl’s is Overlord’s Dignity, which gives him 10% more stats for a map each time he defeats an enemy on it. This fits well with the fact that he’s often going to be your strongest character. Now let’s move on to Etna.

Etna’s good with Spears, Axes, and Guns. She’s also very solid, with her greatest strength being defense. Her Evility is Sadistic, which increases the damage she does to an enemy at full health by 50%. This is actually super strong as long as you remember to take advantage of it, since our goal is to be killing things in a single hit if possible.

Flonne’s good with Bows and Books and great with Staves. She also gets healing magic innately. Her Evility, Heart of Affection, increases her stats by 10% every time she heals an ally to max HP, which is a pretty significant upgrades on the Evilities she usually has as a bonus character (which are generally just bonuses to how much she heals).

We also start with a pair of Private Prinnies. They’re monsters, so they use their own weapon types. Prinny evilities are all about how they explode when thrown, and both of the ones we start with are The Usual Prinnies with the standard Explosive Body. This makes them do 50% of their remaining HP in a 2 square range when thrown (it also detonates any Prinnies in the radius). There are actually two other evilities a Prinny can start with, but we’ll talk about that when we can actually create characters.

Our next tutorial is on Lift and Throw.

Video- Tutorial 2

Watch

We can lift characters and throw them to move around the map more quickly. It works like it has since the beginning for the most part, though Tower Attacks are still in. Tower Attacks let a bunch of characters lifting each other all attack together. Characters who are lifting can’t move, so do watch for that. This map also mentions something really important, Defending. Defend has always been in the game, but it’s now super useful because a Defending character can Cover adjacent allies and take hits for them. This is absolutely amazing for protecting squishy characters and there is a class largely based around Covering that we’ll get later.

The third tutorial map is on Geo Effects.

Video- Tutorial 3

Watch

We’re back to original Disgaea style Geo Symbols and Geo Panels. The colored panels on the ground are Geo Panels and they provide effects to anything standing on them depending on the Geo Symbols. We can throw Symbols around to change where they’re having their effect, and we can destroy them to end the effect entirely. Symbols have a color as well as an effect, and if we kill a symbol on a panel of a different color it will change those panels to that color and damage everyone standing on one. This can chain, and the larger the chain the more damage is dealt. If we clear all the panels, all enemies take heavy damage in addition to the normal damage. We also get a lot of Bonus from this. The Bonus Meter fills as we kill enemies and clear Panels, and we get extra loot from it at the end of the map. As an exercise for the reader, consider what you would have to do with the symbols on the map in the screenshot in order to Clear the map.

We get a story scene at the end of the last tutorial.

Video- Grosso

Watch

Well, we won so all’s well, right?
The statue is up, and I’m getting hungry, so let’s go back to the Overlord’s Castle.

Then this rear end in a top hat shows up.

Wh-What!? My majestic statue has been…!?
I can’t allow you to do this, Prince Laharl.
The fact that you are the Overlord’s son does not grant you permission to erect these statues…
Who the hell are you…!?

Meet Grosso the gargoyle. He’s probably not as important as he thinks he is, or he’d have shown up in Disgaea 1.

Advisor? Grosso? Hey Etna, do you remember him?
I don’t know… King Krichevskoy had a lot of vassals. I can’t remember every single one of them.
* ahem * Anyway, you, youngster, are not cut out to be Overlord, the ruler of the Netherworld.
With that being said, I shall rid the Netherworld of all these eyesores. I hope you understand.
What!? I’m already the Overlord. You can’t talk to me like that!
Destroying my statues is a felony! Are you ready to receive your punishment!?
Still so full of energy… You haven’t changed at all.
I’m sorry to say this, but I can’t afford to waste any time with you.
You children should just go home. Don’t interfere with our business.

At this point Grosso pisses off.

Looks like that guy’s gonna be a real pain.
Do you think he’s trying to become the Overlord, too?
If he was, instead of destroying the statue, he would’ve just fought us.
I’m also curious about what he meant by “our” business.
Hmph! I don’t know what he’s up to, but I won’t let him destroy my statues. Quick, after him!

That about covers it for this time, next time we’ll get some more mechanics opened up and move into the episode proper.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Statuesque.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I wrote the Prima guide to this game, and in many ways, I have not yet recovered.

I mean there are probably worse video game related jobs, you could be a guy who gets mauled by animals so they can record more accurate sounds maybe or DarksydePhil.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wanderer posted:

...so... much... algebra

It could have been Phantom Brave and you'd have to understand and explain poo poo like Failure Fusion and Random Failure Dungeons to the sorts of people who buy strategy guides. I'd imagine whoever wrote that one is in a coma from their Excel-related alcoholism.

EDIT: Honestly not wanting to do more loving around with failure titles in various ways is a big reason why I haven't LP'd Phantom Brave.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 18, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

It often shows, too. There are some places in the Disgaea games where it's pretty clear they wrote the descriptions for Evilities and other things without knowing what they actually do.

There's definitely at least one in Disgaea 5 where the description has very little to do with what the evility actually does.

So on Evilities, this game is a lot more restrictive on that front. You basically will not have a second Evility on a character until the postgame, and you can't have more than two at all. On the other hand, a character can have almost any Evility that exists as their second if you pull some bullshit, even one that's a special character's.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

habituallyred posted:

Too bad about Captain Gordon and his very classic SF sidekicks going back home. I loved how you could trace their looks to specific SF magazine covers.

Did they really get a future PHD to do the mechanics for the Phantom Brave guide?

Doesn't surprise me one bit, there are some really obtuse mechanics in it. Let me actually describe failure fusion and how it works for those that aren't familiar with Phantom Brave.

So, Phantom Brave has Titles, which every character and item has. These apply stat changes, and the 'worst' of these is "Failure". Failure reduces the stats of a character or item by 95%. Keep that piece of information in mind. In Phantom Brave you can fuse an item into another to make it stronger. How much stronger depends on how much weaker the first item is than the second. So, what you do is take the item you want to make stronger and apply a Failure title to it, tanking its stats into the ground. You then fuse powerful items into it (I will handwave where these powerful items come from, because that's a whole other can of worms that also involves Failure titles) and as long as the original item isn't 20 times more powerful than them you're going to exceed them in stats. So you gain a bunch of stats, and then once you're done you go back to a proper title. Except remember, you've gained an unusually large amount of stats as it is by tanking the item's stats, and then you're multiplying that gain by 20 (or more) because that gain applied to the stats when they were at -95% and you're going to titles with 100+% in each stat. Properly applying this technique is pretty vital to playing Phantom Brave well.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am surprised people are still making guides in this information age.
I take it that treasure items are no longer the crutch needed to get through the terrible early game? No Imperial Seal for Laharl?

Yeah Laharl doesn't start with one, though you do get one from the hospital early.

thechosenone posted:

Is there a Disgaea or a Disgaea-like game one can play in public without being horribly embarrassed? I really like the series, but Etna's outfit really disgusts me.

Etna's probably the worst offender as far as main characters go in the series on that front. There's a villain in Disgaea 5 who's no wearing a lot but it's not for the same reason.

Some trivia on her outfit, it's almost identical to the one worn by the Succubus demons in-game (I'm pretty sure it straight up was identical in the first game). It's not totally obvious because it's, um, stretched a bit more. Etna's in between Laharl and Flonne in age (Laharl's the youngest and Flonne's actually the oldest), and they're best taken as rear end in a top hat teenagers because in demon terms that's what they are.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's actually a bit easier than that, Geo Panels don't start clearing until all your actions are done in an Execute in DD2 so you can just throw the To Green symbol onto the blue, queue up an attack against it and then queue up an attack against the To Red symbol and boom it's done. You could also throw the To Green onto the Blue then throw the To Red onto it, which would turn Blue->Green, which would kill the To Red symbol during the conversion which in turn would kill the To Clear symbol (I think, I honestly don't recall if you can kill Symbols by throwing them onto other Symbols again in DD2 because it goes back and forth).

Oh and if you like the best characters of Disgaea 4, Fuka and Desco, well that's good because we'll be getting them at the start of Chapter 3 since I'll finally have the 300 Mana to propose the bill to call them. Desco even has a skill called Death Co. in this one :3:

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

I was considering getting it for the PC, but now I'm really not sure; If I do, I'll probably just do the math myself and then cheat the stats in to save time/sanity. I really, really wish they'd give an ounce of consideration to the people who can't play games all day.

I like to think that the Demons have a religion centered around the hatred of shirts: originally though, Etna's method of dress was a hint that she wasn't nearly as mature as she pretended to be, which came back to actually haunt her in the second game. Her "style" has become kind of pointless since then, except as a lazy recurring gag.

It's not even that time consuming it's just a bit confusing. As noted you can totally beat Phantom Brave in four hours by breaking the gently caress out of the game and getting people to like level 100+ in about twenty minutes.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think Flonne is the only one hitting four digits in age. The others are a hundred years apart.

My recollection was that Laharl is like 1300~, Etna 1400~, and Flonne 1500~, that basically their actual age is their approximate apparent age times 100.

That's actually one of the hints that there's something strange going on in Disgaea 2 if you're the sort of person who reads character bios and such, because Rozalin's listed at like 18 or 20 or whatever and there's clearly something up for that to be possible.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

GodofDiscord posted:

I am so excited for this thread that I am going to attempt to play the entire Disgaea series again, I already got Afternoon of Darkness and Dark Hero Days, so now I just need to buy the other two on the Vita when I have the time... I am also really bad at Disgaea so hopefully I won't get frustrated and quit.

Disgaea Tips:

For the original, Swords are insanely overpowered and Ronin are the best at Swords, so beeline to Ronin and base your offense around them. For every game after (especially 2 but the legend's really never died) Magic Knights are amazing and a problem that cannot be solved by throwing more Magic Knights at it is almost inconceivable. Monsters actually start becoming pretty good in 3, especially monster casters like Succubi (probably the all-around most versatile character type in the game since they get Fire magic, Healing, are flying movement type so they can bypass enemies, have a Bow-range regular attack, and some pretty solid monster-specific skills to finish it out).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought this game was after the original but before Disgaea 2. I've seen a lot of conflicting information on this.

There's Stella Glow on the 3DS, but you'd have to avoid using Nonoka, because that design is concentrated :japan:.

Stella Glow is like an Ar Tonelico SRPG but at least it's a 3DS game so nobody will see you playing it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lotish posted:

Maybe with that box on her head she can't actually tell what she's wearing?

Man, that is almost as bad as 99% of the female outfits in the new Langrisser; at least box-ninja appears to be an adult.

She is as I recall, she's like 20 or something. And in spite of her tragic design Nonoka kinda owns and if you play Stella Glow and don't use her you're missing out on one of the best characters.

Anyway might have an update tomorrow, then the next one after that would probably be Monday since I'll be traveling Sunday. I expect two more updates for Episode 1 (we'll have some more mechanics stuff to talk about next time so I don't want to also try and push the whole rest of the Episode) and that we'll be able to move into 2 next week about Wednesday give or take.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ZeButler posted:

That, along with a two square attack range, and being able to go invisible for a turn, makes her ridiculously strong. The only people that can really compete with her are Alto and Rusty (I'm ignoring the witches, because they just kind of break the game on their own).

Well and the character who you only get if you've unlocked the True Ending. She's broke as gently caress.

And honestly the Ar Series should die because Ar Nosurge proved they have no idea what to do with it. They'd just make a really disappointing poo poo game instead of something cool.

Probably update later today, I've got the content for it ready but need to take screens and write and such.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Three: Statuesque

Last time we finished the tutorials. Once we get back to the castle, we’re told the Assembly is open.

Finally… Now I can get my business done.
Let’s make new characters so that I can have more vassals.
Talk to Pleinair to go to the Dark Assembly.

The Dark Assembly works much the same as it has in the rest of the series. We need Mana to propose bills, which we get from defeating enemies. At the moment, the only bill we really care about is creating some new characters. Let’s walk through how that works, because there’s some new complexity (which is why we didn’t start with some generics like we usually do).

We start by picking a class, such as the Lady Fighter here. Our starting classes are male and female versions of the Fighter, Martial Artist, Magician, and Cleric as well as Prinnies and any monster type we’ve killed before (so Ghosts and Mothmen so far). The classes with male and female versions actually do have some significant differences, because they not only have aptitude and base stat differences but also access to completely different Evilities. I’ll go over the classes in detail separate from this as the LP progresses.

We then choose the capability of the character, which determines the number of bonus stat points they start with and their cost. So, never ever create a Good For Nothing character, because nine extra mana isn’t poo poo compared to how bad it is to start five base stat points in the hole. At the same time, we need Assembly approval to create anything above Skilled and the hassle of that isn’t really worth it given these initial Bonus Points are quickly going to smooth out when we’re talking about preparing a character for the postgame. We name the character, then assign our bonus points.

So, remember that bonus points are Base Stats. We’ll be seeing their effect every single level we gain. We then move on to something new to the series, Weapon Forte.

So most characters choose one weapon to be better at. Casters choose the element they’ll specialize in instead (and indeed this eliminates the differentiation between the Red, Green, and Blue Mages/Skulls). We’ll pick swords here, because swords are always good.

Now we choose Personality, which controls both which voice set the character uses (each class has three voice sets, it’s kinda cool) and more importantly which Evility they have. For example, the Lady Fighter’s Evilities can either make her more powerful depending on how far she’s moved in a turn, make her stronger for each ally on the map, or let her move again after defeating an enemy. I go with the straightforward power increase per ally. Finally, we can change from one of a set of colors for the class. It’s not as good as Disgaea 5’s but it does let you have some variety.

I create a few more characters before I move on.

Lady Clerics get a neat Evility where they can attack based on RES if they’re equipped with a Book, which lets them exploit their best stat (and the one that controls healing) for offense as well.

Magicians are not as powerful as Skulls but are extremely efficient, meaning we can cast spells with pretty reckless abandon. I go with Fire and an Evility that restores her SP every turn.

A Martial Artist rounds out the team, I go with an Evility that lets her dodge all counters which will make her a pretty solid vanguard.

So, the Master/Apprentice system works quite a bit differently from how it did in the original game.

For one thing, while characters you create start as the apprentice of their creators, you can change this at will. Masters no longer learn from their Apprentices (which was kind of bizarre) but the other way around. An Apprentice can use the spells and applicable Weapon Skills of their Master, and if they use them several times they’ll learn them for good. Apprentices can also see their Weapon Mastery raise if their Master is better with a weapon type than them. Masters, meanwhile, get a portion of their Apprentices’ stats as bonus stats.

Let’s move on to our first real map of the game, Nameless Wilderness. Spoiler alert, it’s actually also going to include a tutorial of sorts.

Video- Nameless Wilderness

Watch

We do have some story before we start, though.

I don’t remember erecting a statue here…
I told the Prinny Squad to set them up all over the place.
Etna! Laharl! Look!
Aww, man. That rubble used to be your statue, right? I guess he’s still one step ahead of us…
drat… So he’s gonna rid the Netherworld of my statues by destroying them? How dare he!
Well, that’s what I’d do. You can’t really take them home or anything. They’d just be garbage on the floor.
You’ve gotta have balls to say that while I’m standing right here!
Etna, stop!
You shouldn’t say things like that, even though it’s true!
That goes for you, too!

Our loud argument seems to have attracted some attention.

He left us some low-class demons as a souvenir. He’s taking me too lightly. I’ll slash them all away!

Anyway as I suggested the map starts with another tutorial explanation, this time on Evilities.

The game’s just trying to make sure we know what Evilities are and how to check them on enemies, because it’s definitely relevant. In this case, it’s brought up in connection with the Catsabers on this map. Two of the Catsabers here take half damage from female units, and the other two take half from monsters.

They’ve conveniently color-coded them for us. Anyway we’re up against four Catsabers and a pair of Mothmen (who have an Evility that makes Poison more effective, so watch for that). We outnumber them and can quickly blitz the two by the Base Panel, so this map isn’t any kind of meaningful threat. Just blow them up and wait for the rest of the enemies to come into the teeth of your party.

We get access to a new facility after this, the Demon Dojo.

I didn’t authorize these changes in my castle! What’s going on!? Etna, you better explain!
Sure. The Demon Dojo is the latest and best training facility in the Netherworld.
You can do the basic physical and mental training…as well as…
Well, you’ll get a wider variety of options over time. You should try it out.
Oh, and it’s just past the shops.

Let’s look at the Demon Dojo interface.

Our initial Demon Dojo effects improve the rate of a character’s stat growth as they level (there will be others that unlock as time goes on that don’t). At first we can only put one person in each training type. As the characters in a given training type participate in battle, that training will level up and eventually both open up more slots and improve in effect.

Now let’s move on to the next map, and the introduction of a major new mechanic.

Video- Tainted Soil

Watch

Let’s talk about Likeability.

What’s that? It’s already making my skin crawl…
Likeability is the measurement of how much characters love each other.
Not this love nonsense again…
It’s not nonsense! It actually comes in handy!
Depending on how high their likeability is, their chances of joining a team attack will increase.
And once their likeability reaches a certain point, the characters will perform Support Attacks.
When you attack, a character that shares a high likeability will also attack that target. This is called a support attack.
So, they’ll deal more damage…
And if you Defend next to a character that shares a high likeability, they will Protect you!
When taking damage from enemies, they will take the damage for you.
Oh…that sounds pretty useful…
On top of that…!
There’s more!?

We also get a mention of another new mechanic I’ll get to in just a sec.

Mounted Skills!?
You can perform Mounted Skills when a monster unit is giving a humanoid unit a ride on their back.
Mounted Skills change according to their likeability. The higher it is, the better they get.
The Mounted Skill is determined by the monster unit, but they are all very powerful!
On top of that, when using these skills, both characters earn EXP!
That’s actually pretty cool…
Am I right!? Which is why you should always try to increase your likeability with other characters!
Likeability can be increased by performing team attacks or using items on them.
But if you attack them, your likeability will go down, so be careful.
You can check your current likeability from the Status Menu!
We can take it step-by-step, but let’s learn to like each other, Laharl.

So, let’s start on Likeability. As Flonne noted, when characters like each other they will trigger Team Attacks, Support Attacks, and Protects more often. As Flonne also noted we raise it by fighting together and healing each other. It’ll mostly just raise organically as time goes on. She also tangentially brought up another new mechanic, Mounting.

I just love how monsters can give humanoids rides!
While mounted, they can still move, attack, and use special skills!
That’s the main difference between mounted and lifting!
Since it’s dangerous, humanoids can’t use weapon or character skills, but you can still attack and cast spells.
And don’t forget about Mounted Skills!

Mounting is a new monster mechanic that is exclusive to this game. Humanoid characters can Mount a monster. They take on that monster’s movement characteristics and can use that monster’s Mounted Skill. They’re not able to use Skills, but can cast spells. When damage is dealt, the monster is the one that takes it as long as it’s still alive. Overflow damage doesn’t transit to the rider, but any further skills that are targeted where they were do. Just keep it in mind.

Let’s talk about the map real quick.

We’re up against some more Catsabers and Mothmen, with some Ghosts added as well. Ghosts are monster casters, and are best engaged by throwing across the water and into their face. The Red area doesn’t start with any symbols on it. We have access to a Def-50%, a Def+50%, and an EXP+50% that we can place on them, and it’s also possible to use them to clear it the panels if we want. We certainly want to do one or the other, because this is a relatively large number of enemies for this point in the game.

When we come back we’re greeted with some new options available in the Cheat Shop, which the game hasn’t actually told us exists.

So the Cheat Shop is a friggin’ revelation. Let’s take a look at what it can do for us.

So, here we can change the balance of our rewards in combat. For example we can reduce the HL we get to gain more experience. At the moment our minimum and maximum values are pretty limited. This will change, and we’ll eventually also get some floating cheat points we can apply as well. The next screen is also really important.

That’s right, we no longer have to use the Assembly to change the enemy strength. We can just change it to whatever we want on the fly (we’ll also eventually be able to activate Land of Carnage mode this way too). We can also turn off Support and Protect here, but there is no actual reason to do that.

The next two pages aren’t open yet, but we do have some options on the last page. We can turn off experience entirely, as well as gaining weapon master and skill levels. We can also remove our ability to cancel actions. Again, no benefit to doing so, but we can do it.

Alright, that’s about enough for today. We’ll pick this up next time with some less interrupted action.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Statue Showdown

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Polsy posted:

Is likeability directly visible? I don't think I saw it in the video but maybe it's elsewhere

It is in fact, in two places. So, on the next status screen over from the Evilities you can see a character's Likeability with everyone else. More importantly, while you're queuing up actions a little bar appears on the bottom of the screen that gives you an idea about your current character's relative likeabilities to give you an idea who you can and can't rely on to do support things. At least I think that's what that bar does, maybe it actually measures how close you are to the next level? Who knows.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lotish posted:

I really enjoyed the original Disgaea and a lot of these new features seem like a lot of fun. Looks to b ea good sequel.

It really is, and then Disgaea 5 takes the good ideas of this and marries it with probably the strongest cast and plot in the series.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ddegenha posted:

There are occasionally little displays like this that are never explained but are incredibly helpful once you get to know them. It took me way too long playing Disgaea 5 to realize that it will straight up tell you whether or not you can one shot an enemy by turning their life bar red when you target them.

Yeah this game has that too, and if you can't a yellow bar will indicate what portion of their health you expect to deal with your attack.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lotish posted:

I remember that prinny said he would reincarnate after this battle, but I don't remember if it actually did. Is that a mechanic we haven't seen yet or just flavor text?

It is just flavor but honestly Prinnies are interchangeable so maybe he did and we just got another identical Prinny as a replacement.

Omobono posted:

I dunno, if the worst thing you can say about this game is that D5 is better then it's drat good praise.

Yeah "not quite as good as an absolutely amazing game" isn't exactly a scathing indictment.

Glazius posted:

These are some pretty quality mechanics. But, uh, given their explosion potential, is riding a Prinny really a good idea?

It would actually be dangerous on a gimmick Prinny map because her mount would totally explode if it got caught in a Prinny explosion. You'll get to see some other Hot Mounted Action in Episode 3 once I've scraped together the 300 Mana for Fuka and Desco because they start at 4/5 stars likeability with each other and can ruin some faces with Desco's mounted skill as a result.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm going to try and get an update out tonight, though I'm really wiped from travel right now so it might slip to tomorrow.

e: I'm feeling a bit better and just got screens, we're tentatively on like Monkey Kong. And anyone who gets that reference can join me after for a good session of weeping.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 24, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Four: Statue Showdown

We’ve got nothing to do around the castle, so we’ll jump right into the next map.

Video- Silent Death Land

Watch

The rest of this episode’s maps all have lead-ins.

Oh, over there!?

The screenshots don’t convey it that well, so if you don’t watch the video you should be aware that the statue is, um, leaking water. In an unfortunate fashion.

Wait… What is that?
I figured adding a fountain feature would be a nice touch to improve this statue.
Wasn’t that nice of me?
What!? It looks like I’m pissing in my pants!
He’s right! You should have at least made it without its pants on!
Oh yeah! Good call, Flonne.
No! You shouldn’t have made it a fountain!

And further indignity is heaped upon him when monsters arrive.

Looks like the monsters like it, though.
I don’t care! That statue isn’t dignifying at all!
Take it down now. Beat up anyone who gets in the way!

It should be noted that the statue on the map does in fact constantly leak water. This has no effect, it’s just funny. The map’s pretty straightforward, it just puts us up against a bunch of Catsabers and Ghosts. Make sure you’re hitting Catsabers with characters that can damage them and take Ghosts out as quickly as possible and this’ll be no problem. Next map.

Video- Withered Local Pride

Watch

This one better be good…

The production values do indeed seem to be higher, though the accuracy is possibly even worse.

Etna! This statue isn’t even of me!
Oh, that… I had the Prinnies make this one on the side.
Do you like it!? The body is just like the real thing!
It looks as far from the real thing as mine, but…I can tell they obviously spent more time making yours!
No fair, Etna! Can you make one of me, too!? With a nice body, of course!
Shut up! Voluptuous statues are nothing but eyesores. Get rid of it!
What!? Why!? Who cares if some of my statues are mixed in with yours?
Statues…? You made more than one? Well, how many did you make?
One and a half times as many as the Prince’s.
That’s not “some”!

Unfortunately, Etna’s statue is received as well as Laharl’s have been.

Ah…! My nice body…!
I guess my statues aren’t the only ones they’re getting rid of.
Oh no! A lot of demons appeared again!
I wouldn’t have cared if they just stuck with the Prince’s statues, but how dare those drat fearless idiots destroy my statues, too…!
Fine! I’ll give them a taste… OF TRUE FEAR!!!

We start the map by getting another quick tutorial on Evilities.

What about those Mothman?
They have Evilities that affect the whole map.
They might be like Chance to inflict status ailments or More poison damage.
Hmph, that’s fine! I’ll just kill them before I get poisoned! It’s a waste of time to worry about it!
Laharl! She warned you, so you should make sure to always check enemy Evilities!

So this is a bit of a gimmick map.

The blue area has a Silence effect that prevents use of skills. If we kill that symbol, though, it’ll turn the area red and give us Ally Boost + 50%. As Etna warned us those Mothmen cause us to be more likely to suffer status effects and take more damage from poison just by existing. This is a problem because those scarecrow enemies have an Evility that applies status effects on their regular attacks. Make sure you have Fairy Dusts or the Espoir spell, or you’ll really suffer from their attacks. That or just lure them and kill them before they can hit anyone. Now let’s move on to the final map of the episode, where we’ll confront Grosso.

Video- Filthy Ruins

Watch

Well, well, Prince. I thought I told you I don’t have time to waste with you.
That being said, and although they were low-class demons, I’m surprised you were able to get through so many of them.
As foolish as you are, I’ll chalk that up to the fact that you are King Krichevskoy’s son.
How could you destroy my, the Overlord’s, statues like that!?
“How could you?” That’s what I’d like to ask you.
Using your father’s notoriety to claim the title of Overlord and performing tyrannical acts for your own benefit…
You are nothing short of evil to us. You are as foolish as King Krichevskoy was wise.
You have zero qualities of an Overlord. I cannot allow your tyranny to continue.
Is that why you destroyed the statues…?
Precisely. However, this is only the beginning.
We will force you to forfeit the throne, and leave the Overlord’s Castle.
Fool.
No one can order me to do anything. I, the Overlord, make my own decision about everything.

Honestly neither Grosso nor Laharl really get what being Overlord is all about.

You could probably count them all on one hand…
Oh, shut up!
At the very least, you’ll have to convince me if you want to call yourself the Overlord.
Hmph…you were just my old man’s vassal. Don’t act so cocky.
If you aren’t convinced, then let me demonstrate…the absolute power I wield as the Overlord!
Oh well, I suppose I have no choice.
It is the responsibility of an adult to punish bad children. I shall discipline you!

More on that later though, now for the map.

Grosso is accompanied by three Warriors, two Mothmen, and two Scarecrows. Let’s just take a quick look at Grosso himself, since he’s a boss and all.

That’s sure an interesting class, isn’t it? Anyway Grosso’s got pretty good stats all around except for his Speed, which is laughably low. He’s also got really poor Movement. He’s a bit more of a caster than a physical attacker, and actually has Star magic.

His Evility makes adjacent allies stronger if he didn’t move. It won’t really come up in this map. Those Warriors are our biggest initial threat, they can Blade Rush and have extremely strong physical defenses. Flonne and any Magicians/Skulls you have are going to be really key to getting them down, because physical attacks won’t be nearly as effective (remember that Staff/Book hits are based on INT and thus are defended by RES). Combo the hell out of Grosso once you’ve got things stabilized. Fortunately, the Scarecrows will spend their first turn buffing themselves which should give you a chance to be ready for them. Still, this fight can be unexpectedly challenging.

Video- Episode 1 Lead Out

Watch

Why not? I wiped the floor with you.
Prince, I think this is the part where we just roll our eyes and listen to his pitiful excuses…
Hmph…so…do you accept me as the Overlord now?
You don’t get it, do you? It doesn’t matter if you possess ultimate power, you still don’t have what it takes to be the Overlord.
Fool! All an Overlord needs is to be powerful.
Therefore, I, the strongest demon in the Netherworld, have everything it takes to be a great Overlord!!!
…Like I said before, I can’t accept you as King Krichevskoy’s successor.
Enjoy playing Overlord for now.

So as I was saying earlier, both of them are wrong here. While having ultimate power doesn’t make you a good Overlord, being the baddest around is in fact how most Overlords got their jobs.

Get the Prinnies to find out where he’s working from. As soon as they find it, let’s wreak some havoc.
Understood!
Laharl, what kind of person was Krichevskoy?
That was way out of left field…
Since that demon said you’re nothing like King Krichevskoy…
I’ve been wondering what made him such a great person.
I don’t know. I never tried to know.
Let’s go back to the Overlord’s Castle.
All right…

We cut away to Grosso getting some bad news about something.

???: We’ve got big trouble. Please take a look at this…
…Huh!?
Wh-What is this!?
???: I don’t know, but we need to do something about it before something bad happens…
Ungh… We are in dire need of a worthy Overlord as soon as possible.
Call in all of our officers! There’s no time to waste!
???: Yes, sir!
drat it… What are they up to?
…drat angels.

And now for our old Disgaea tradition.

Hey…
Using her vassal, Fallen Angel Flonne, as a shield, Etna dashes through wave after wave of demon attacks!
Th-That’s just cruel!

What a selfish bitch…
Next time on Demon Gal Etna Dimension 2, Episode 2: The Birth of Overlord Etna! A new history begins now!

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Episode 2 begins with an unexpected guest. Stay tuned for The Mysterious Angel Girl, Sicily.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

cokerpilot posted:

Angels are mucking about in the Netherworld again.... how long after the first game does this take place?

Couple years or so. This is assuming that Grosso is correct about the source of the problem, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Junpei posted:

If 5 is the best, and D2 is second, does 4 rank a solid third? Because I think that 4 had the strongest cast out of all the games (Killia felt sorta bland to me, but the rest of 5's cast was awesome).

If we're talking about the Vita version I could buy that, because the Vita version introduces a lot of significant quality of life improvements.

Update either tomorrow or Thursday with the start of Episode 2. My travel plans have changed so I won't have an update Friday, but might get one out Saturday or Sunday instead.

Glazius posted:

How psychomorphic is the Netherworld, anyhow? Would it look differently if the Overlord was different?

It's an interesting sort of chicken/egg question but generally I'd say "very" and "absolutely". Overlords tend to rule Netherworlds that very much feel like their personality, and in Disgaea 2 you very clearly see fake Overlord Zenon constantly making the world worse with his awful incompetence and general crapulence.

Honestly Laharl is at worst midway down the competence ladder with respect to Overlords from these games. Shitlords like Fake Zenon, Alexander, and King Drake III make him look positively brilliant. And he's certainly no worse than say Zetta.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 25, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Five: The Arrival of the Mysterious Angel Girl Sicily

Let’s get right into Episode 2.

Video- Episode 2 Lead In

Watch

Not yet, but the Prinnies should be back right about now…
Laharl, there’s a package for you from Celestia.
From Celestia? Isn’t it just something for you?
It’s probably just another morphing belt or more ranger figures.
I really can’t stand looking at that junk, so can you stop collecting them at the Overlord’s Castle?
Nooo. I live for those things!
But anyway, this isn’t for me. The delivery Prinny said it was for the Overlord.
I see! For the Overlord, huh!? Then it must be for me!

The box is of course from Amazombie, who debuted in Disgaea Infinite.

…He’s so simple.
Anyway, isn’t it strange that Laharl is getting something from Celestia?
I’ve got a bad feeling about this…
Wh-What the--!?

The box vanishes in a, well, not terribly ominous cloud of feathers.

Pwaaahhh!
A-A-An angel…!? It’s an angel!
It was hard to breathe in there…! Took you long enough!
Who the hell are you!?

Meet the episode’s title character.

I’m here to become the Overlord!

Well that’s strange.

We continue after the title card.

Don’t be stupid!
I’m not being stupid! I am for real!
That’s why I came to the Overlord’s Castle!
Why were you shipped in a package?
Hmhmhm! Good question.
So I wouldn’t get lost on the way! Aren’t I a genius!?
I see!
Ummm, no. If anything, that was pure stupidity.
A puny little idiot angel like you doesn’t have what it takes to be the Overlord!
Ummm, you’re really bossy. What gives you the right to say that?
Oh yeah, he’s Laharl. Contrary to how he looks, he’s actually the Overlord.

I love this line.

What!? Really!? I was picturing someone much bigger…
That’s what most people would think.
In that case, let me begin with…

Big Brother Overlord, can I take your spot as Overlord?
You’re even stupider than I thought. No demon would give up being the Overlord!
Really? In that case…let me give you this.
What is it?
Prinny cookies that I baked. I used plenty of sugar, so they’re really tasty.

Flonne’s expression of consternation here is pretty great.

HELL NO!!!
Enough of this mockery!

Anyway Laharl isn’t planning on putting up with this.

Kyah! What are you doing!?
That’s it, angel. I’ll make you regret ever wanting to be the Overlord!
Laharl, stop! She’s just a little girl!
Let go, Flonne! I don’t care if she’s small! She could be old for all I care, I can’t let her get away with that!
I heard that demons were violent, but I didn’t think they were this bad.
Bye for now! I have to come up with a new plan!
Dammit! Hey, Etna! Follow that angel!
Why? We could just leave her be. Some monster would probably eat her.
No! An Overlord can’t let anyone get away with trying to take their position!
Okay, fine, I’m going…

This situation feels somehow familiar. Anyway we’ll see more next time.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Ice is Nice, it’s seriously like we did this before guys.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Etna's right. How is anyone supposed to hear her saying "nin nin nin" over and over if she's stuffed into a box? It's like Celestia isn't even training their angels to go on sneaking missions anymore.

At some point NIS needs to make a Metal Gear Flonne game where it's game over if every guard doesn't discover you during a mission.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm back home but feel like hell, 50:50 on an update later today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Six: Ice is Nice

Last time a little kid (who happened to be an angel) showed up and tried to get us to let her be Overlord. Needless to say we didn’t and won’t be doing that. Also if you haven’t already figured it out this is a direct reference to the original Disgaea’s second episode right down to where we’re going.

Video- “Unmoving Land”

Watch

We catch up with her right away.

Look!
Sicily is surrounded by demons! This doesn’t look good for her!
That’s true, but something doesn’t seem right…
Hmph, who cares? I’m going to catch her!
Oh, it’s the self-proclaimed Overlord from earlier! You caught up to me already!?
Haaahahahaha! You thought you could get away?
…Wait a minute.
I’m not the self-proclaimed Overlord! I am the absolute, one and only Overlord!
But all these demons say they don’t know who you are.
Really…? All those statues were for nothing…
drat you…
Fine, then I will engrave into your rotten brains…
That I am the ultimate Overlord of the Netherworld!

A new and unpleasant monster type makes its debut here.

These Slimes will shrug off anything that doesn’t have an elemental damage type. There are plenty of good options for such. Obviously there’s magic from a Skull or Magician, but we can use Book skills, the Sword skill Hurricane Slash, and Laharl’s Blazing Knuckle to also clear them out.

In addition the some Slimes, we also have to deal with a pair of Skulls and a pair of male Healers. Don’t let the Slimes bog you down, throw over them to alpha strike the Skulls if need be.

Video- “Cold Breath”

Watch

We’re up against a couple of new opponent types, Zombies and a Sorcerer. Zombies are healed when they do damage, and Sorcerers debuff the entire enemy party with their Evility. In this case, we’re suffering a 20% evasion penalty for this lady being on the map. Even worse, most of the map has a -50% Attack effect. We’ll want to clear that out right away, because Zombies can also Poison us which won’t give a poo poo about the attack reduction. Fire based skills are extremely effective against Zombies, if Laharl gets surrounded he can clear out a bunch at once with Blazing Knuckle.

A bit more plot with our last map of the day.

Video- “Ice Demon Grave”

Watch

You have angered me, the Overlord! I will chase you to the ends of the Netherworld!
Was what I did really that bad? Aren’t you being a bit too harsh?
Well you did go after this throne, so I think it’s well deserved…
This is getting to be too much work. Why don’t you just let us catch you already?
Absolutely not! It’s time for my secret weapon finisher.
Prin Prinny Prillian!
My cute Prinnies, come on out!

Oh that’s going to be effective.

That was angelic language!
So, are those Prinnies from Celestia?
Hmph! They’re just mere Prinnies.
Don’t take them so lightly.
These Prinnies are the best of the best in Celestia.
Them? Really?
They’re not much different from the ones here.
It’s a strategy to soften you up! A strategy, I tell you!
Now, my Prinnies, don’t hurt them too badly!
W-Wait!
Hmph, weaklings.
I’ll wipe you all out in the blink of an eye!

This is a Prinny gimmick map, which means it’s pretty easy.

The arrangement of Prinnies here is such that we can detonate them all in a chain, which will also take the four Magicians down low. Just throw people over to them to push in quickly after the Prinnies are down.

I think we’ll be able to finish this up next time.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Frozen Showdown

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Next update probably Tuesday by the by, which should finish up this Episode. I actually need to play some more soon, but fortunately I don't have to travel for work again until like late July.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

In the meantime, I'm going to begin a series on Character Classes, with our intro being on the Fighters. And so...

Long Live The Fighters

Our generic fighter class is the Warrior (male)/Valkyrie (female). Let's compare/contrast.

Weapon Skills: Warriors are B with Swords, Spears, and Axes, C with Bows and Fists, and E with everything else. Valkyrie are B with Swords, Spears, and Bows, C with Axes and Fists, and E with everything else.

Stats: Warriors have slightly more HP, DEF, and RES than Valkyrie, who in turn have significantly more HIT and slightly better SPD. Valkyrie take more damage from Wind, while Warriors take more from Ice.

Evilities: Warriors can choose from the following Evilities-

Wild Cry - Increase stats by 15% per enemy unit within two panels. This Evility makes it much trickier to gang up on Warriors with multiple melee attackers, and makes a Warrior much more dangerous if they're diving into a crowd. It's certainly a bit risky, though, because it really only shines if you're already stronger and yet the enemy outnumbers you (since if you're NOT already stronger, they're just going to drag you down with numbers anyway).

Shaking Excitement - Increase stats by 3% per enemy unit on map. A pretty weak Evility when you're on offense, since there have to be at least six enemies on the map still to be better than Wild Cry if you've got even one enemy within 2 panels. It's better if you're taking ranged attacks, though.

Fortitude - Always have at least 1 HP after receiving an attack with max HP. A pretty great tanking Evility, since healing is pretty powerful and it's totally viable to heal someone back from 1 to full in a turn. Obviously if you are targeted by two attacks in a turn you're still dead, though.

Valkyrie have these in the meantime-

Assault Attack - Increase Attack Power by panels moved x 5% (Within turn). A very aggressive Evility that benefits moving around a lot, obviously. Equipment that increases movement goes well with it. It also goes well with Bows, because you can much more easily move your full movement each turn and still have an enemy to attack.

Cooperativeness - Increase stats by 3% per ally unit on map. A more reliable Evility for a Valkyrie you're not wanting to move a lot. it gives you a nice consistent benefit, and unlike the Warrior's equivalent it's much more consistent with the competition numerically

Extra Move - After defeating enemy unit, can move again. A great aggressive Evility for close up weapon users since we can run the Valkyrie in, kill something, then run back to safety. As with Assault Attack it really favors taking some effort to increase her movement to really get in and out.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure since we met him there that Prinny Kurtis was also supposed to have been a Prinny from Celestia.

Things work basically the same, except that Netherworld Prinnies are expected to literally pay for their sins which is why they are paid. It's also why Disgaea Infinite notes the ultimate penalty a Prinny can suffer, the dreaded Negative Salary. Celestial Prinnies are just expected to do nice poo poo for its own sake. I'd suspect Netherworld Prinnies probably CAN actually reincarnate that way too (for example Big Sis Prinny) but that's not generally the way of things.

Oh and there will probably be some more character information tomorrow, do we want to hear about Mages or Martial Artists?

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 29, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

IMJack posted:

Does Assault Attack only factor in the distance the Valkyrie moved with her own move command? Or will it measure the whole distance covered when she gets chain-thrown clear across the map?

I'm pretty sure it's only what is Moved and doesn't count throws, because several Evilties that require you not to move don't count being thrown as such.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And mastery IIRC multiplies the stat bonuses on the weapon, so e.g. if you have rank 10 with Fists and you have a fist weapon with +250 Speed, then your actual Speed bonus will be like +400 instead (numbers made up).

This is the case, you get extra stats from your weapons depending on your Mastery. It should be noted that monsters don't have a weapon skill and therefore can't benefit from one in this way, instead they get extra stats from their weapons based on their level (their magic ranges work the same way, which can be super annoying when doing serial reincarnations because when they go back to level 1 they briefly can't always cast a 3x3 if the actual skill level is too low, and yes it's relevant because one of the strongest DLC characters is in fact a magic monster).

One cool new feature to DD2, you don't have to Reincarnate to upgrade to higher tiers of the same class anymore. You can now Promote people which maintains their present level while converting them to the next tier, it's pretty sick (and extremely important for Mages/Skulls since you need to be a couple tiers up to actually learn Star magic along with your natural element).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Of these starting classes Mages/Skulls are definitely the ones you're most likely to still be using in the postgame (though you probably will eventually want them to be Magic Knights or some kind of monster ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fortitude could in theory be really broken against any single alone powerful enemy IF you are able to keep that enemy from killing whoever's healing the Warrior back to full every turn instead of the Warrior.

• Locked thread