Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
WEEK 7: WHERE WE STAND

MONDAY'S SCHEDULE

A lot of off-days, it being a Monday. Blue Jays are bound to be all fired up - could be bad news for the Rays, especially given the pitching matchup. Chad Green makes his MLB debut with the Yankees. Opening act of the freeway series features a pretty uneven matchup in Shoemaker v. Maeda.

Today in Baseball History courtesy baseball-reference.com
1909 - National League President John Heydler calls a meeting with the league's umpires to discuss ways that the new two-umpire system can prevent fighting by the players. A serious incident occurred several days earlier in Boston when Reds catcher Frank Roth attacked umpire Steve Cusack after a play at home. Several other Reds players threatened the umpire with baseball bats.
1939 - With half the expected crowd on hand due to the cold weather, only 15,109 fans at Shibe Park see the Indians defeat the A's, 8 - 3, in 10 innings, in the first night game ever played in the American League.
1957 - The Yankees top Kansas City, 3 - 0, behind Bob Turley's four-hit shutout. That night a group of Yankees celebrate Billy Martin's 29th birthday in raucous fashion. An ensuing fight at Manhattan's Copacabana Club leads to $5,500 in fines and the eventual trade of Billy to Kansas City.
2015 - Miguel Cabrera hits the 400th home run of his career against Tyler Lyons in the 1st inning of a game against the Cardinals. With the blast, he passes both Andres Galarraga, who held the record for most homers by a player from Venezuela, and Detroit Tigers legend Al Kaline, who both finished with 399 homers.

Born on This Day :toot:
1928 - Billy Martin
1955 - Jack Morris
1986 - Andy Dirks
1993 - Luis Sardinas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Today's Red Sox/Royals game is rained out, DH on Wednesday.

Looking at the radar, the Royals could have easily gotten the game in if they wanted to, but they blew out their bullpen yesterday, so they took the opportunity to call it off.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
every time I watch teams like the Reds play it's like, oh yeah, I remember that guy, he's still around, huh?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Jeff Francoeur is batting cleanup for the Braves tonight.

:sigh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:rip: Toronto

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

elentar posted:

Jeff Francoeur is batting cleanup for the Braves tonight.

Meh, might as well bat the pitcher fourth with this roster

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
You're killing me Smyls.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
For how bad the Braves have been, it's actually been a while since they got a good ol' rear end-whipping.

That may change tonight.

TheChaosPath posted:

Meh, might as well bat the pitcher fourth with this roster

I can just see Fredi taking notes and nodding.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
This is the Happ I remember . fun stuff

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
This is the J.A. Happ I was expecting to get when I heard he signed with Toronto.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Happ getting rocked

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Tyler Goeddel has really found his sea legs, which is good to see. Hopefully soon we can have a Goeddel/ Herrera/ Altherr outfield, which will be so much more fun than running Peter Bourjos and David Lough out there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wow, I don't know who this guy the Rays called up today is but he's almost up there with John Jaso for worst hair of 2016

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Shoemaker v Maeda followed by Weaver v Kershaw is not fair.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Jose Berrios can't locate anything, gives up 6 runs on 3 hits and 4 walks, still strikes out Justin Upton.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

gently caress the Twins

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

rebel1608 posted:

Happ getting rocked

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tigers own

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MrChupon posted:

gently caress the Twins

Haha drat

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I hate when the free game is a blowout

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wow, I don't know who this guy the Rays called up today is but he's almost up there with John Jaso for worst hair of 2016

can't be worse than king felix, or that... thing that's growing on colby rasmus's chin

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Xenophon posted:

Blue Jays are bound to be all fired up - could be bad news for the Rays, especially given the pitching matchup.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Jeeez why am I still watching this

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I see the Tigers are trying to out-bad the Twins.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Twins have gotten it back to 8-6 and it's just in the 4th.

edit: 8-7

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 17, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

[Sitting in a bar in Detroit]: God Hates Us.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Lol gibbons just got ejected . two games in a row !

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I know I'm the only one watching this game, but Justin Bour owns.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hey, that's 10 now. Atlanta has 10 homers.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The last time I saw so many infield hits was this game, which I had the pleasure of being at

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201304200.shtml

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

well drat, Francoeur actually hit one out. Braves' 10th homer of the year and it's only May 16.

(actually this is terrible because it means Francoeur will bat even more)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

well drat, Francoeur actually hit one out. Braves' 10th homer of the year and it's only May 16.

(actually this is terrible because it means Francoeur will bat even more)

He's not the shittiest hitter in the lineup. No sir, not even close.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He's not the shittiest hitter in the lineup. No sir, not even close.

I'm actually pretty sure he is, assuming any sort of regression whatsoever from Aybar. I really don't care about him being on the team right now, just worried that they'll hang onto him for next year when he'll actually be taking at bats away from people with value and futures.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Holy poo poo Ausmus meltdown loving owned. That is a man on the edge.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Fans got their money's worth there, at least.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

Holy poo poo Ausmus meltdown loving owned. That is a man on the edge.

What did he melt down over?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Xenophon posted:

What did he melt down over?

I missed the exact call, had stepped away for minute. I came into this though:
https://youtu.be/AkOh76XqHts

Friend of mine found audio and it includes a lot of "fucks" and "poo poo"'s though. I'm sure it will be in some highlight soon.

Edit: Called strike that was (maybe) inside I guess set him off.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/732372833431654404

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

I missed the exact call, had stepped away for minute. I came into this though:
https://youtu.be/AkOh76XqHts

Friend of mine found audio and it includes a lot of "fucks" and "poo poo"'s though. I'm sure it will be in some highlight soon.

Edit: Called strike that was (maybe) inside I guess set him off.

nice, I can get behind this

• Locked thread