Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Defenestration posted:

I wrote a story that I know is good. I've sent it 40 places and they all rejected it. I shortened it by a thousand words for a contest which I also didn't win.

My question is can/should I start resubmitting it to all the big names if it's 1k shorter and the rejection was in 2013? Or is this dumb?

(It's a literary short set in the near-future. Not really scifi but commercial spaceflight is a major plot point)
How do you know it's good? Rejection happens, but if 40 different places have bounced it (and they're not giving you "we liked this but it doesn't fit our current issue please submit in future kinda emails) then it might need further revision.

You shouldn't resubmit to places you've already sent the same story, regardless of edits. If you want to try again, try a new piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Realistically you're gonna get a different slusher in all likelihood. But I still wouldn't do it. Write the next one.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Defenestration posted:

I wrote a story that I know is good. I've sent it 40 places and they all rejected it. I shortened it by a thousand words for a contest which I also didn't win.

My question is can/should I start resubmitting it to all the big names if it's 1k shorter and the rejection was in 2013? Or is this dumb?

(It's a literary short set in the near-future. Not really scifi but commercial spaceflight is a major plot point)

It might be good but it's not good enough - spend your time and energy on writing something better instead of trying to flog this. I definitely would not resubmit.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It's not the done thing to resubmit a story to the same market. Worst case scenario is you get blacklisted one of your top markets. I think it's kind of rude, too.

Since you're very confident in it you should save it and just put it in for competitions as they come up. There's enough of them and they take long enough to judge you're not ever likely to run out of places to submit it.

Good luck! I know the feeling :-)

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I wouldn't resubmit. Suppose it was a near-miss in some of those markets, then it probably got read by a higher-tier editor, who is more likely to recognize it as a resubmission.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Just send it to anthologies that open up here and there. Plenty of places to sell to.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Just send it to anthologies that open up here and there. Plenty of places to sell to.

Depending on the length, submissions are still open for the "binge watching cure anthology", edited by Bill Adler Jr. who's apparently got a decent reputation. I submitted one of my stories and got a personalized response quite quickly, so maybe give that a shot? Simultaneous submissions are also OK, and they pay $200 for < 5,000 words, $500 for > 5,000 words.

http://bingewatchingcure.com/

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

Depending on the length, submissions are still open for the "binge watching cure anthology", edited by Bill Adler Jr. who's apparently got a decent reputation. I submitted one of my stories and got a personalized response quite quickly, so maybe give that a shot? Simultaneous submissions are also OK, and they pay $200 for < 5,000 words, $500 for > 5,000 words.

http://bingewatchingcure.com/

Will definitely submit to this, thank you!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If I sounded like a bit of a dick before, I wasn't trying to - I was more wondering if you'd thrown it up in CC at any point for crit. The writer is often the worst person to see issues in the story: if you need fresh eyes, you only need to ask.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

Will definitely submit to this, thank you!
So between posting this and getting home they had already filled the 6k and 7k slots :negative:

So I submitted a 4k that's edgier, who knows

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If I sounded like a bit of a dick before, I wasn't trying to - I was more wondering if you'd thrown it up in CC at any point for crit. The writer is often the worst person to see issues in the story: if you need fresh eyes, you only need to ask.
We cool. You don't know me and since I didn't put it up you have nothing to go on.

I have a regular crit group of people from my MFA program. It has been thoroughly shopped and rewritten.

I just want to avoid the kind of thinking that goes "if it's good it will get published and if it gets published it's good." We all know the industry ain't platonic ideal like that.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Got a publication acceptance this morning (my third ever). This thread helped tremendously. Thank you!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Got a publication acceptance this morning (my third ever). This thread helped tremendously. Thank you!

congratulations! sounds like today is a whipped-cream-for-breakfast day!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sold a story to the Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing newsletter/Dark Moon Digest, along with a reprint of an old story.

In other news one of my stories is getting translated in French for the magazine Tenebres in 2017.

I'd love this thread to be more active. What can I help with?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've currently got a story waiting out there for Lamplight--sent it in a while ago, but their window finally closes today, so hoping to hear back soon. Even if it's a no, it means I get to send it somewhere else, at least.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I've had an acceptance from a new magazine, geometry, which is the first time I've been paid for a story. Also about a dozen goons from the thunderdome had their recent stories accepted for flash frontier.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Djeser posted:

I've currently got a story waiting out there for Lamplight--sent it in a while ago, but their window finally closes today, so hoping to hear back soon. Even if it's a no, it means I get to send it somewhere else, at least.

Lamplight typically takes ~130 days to respond, and sometimes much longer.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

at least that gives me time to edit some other stories :unsmith:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Congrats on the acceptances guys! I definitely encourage people to do some braggin' in here, and of course throw us some links when stuff gets published.

I'm just now getting back into the groove of sending stories out, since I was traveling around for 3 months and just moved into a new place and everything has been hectic as hell, but a little while ago one of my stories got nominated for Sundress Lit's Best of the Web 2016, which was a pretty cool feeling. I'm actually not sure when they start paring down to finalists, and last year they had people from Guernica and AGNI and stuff so I'm not holding my breath, but at the very least it will something cool to stick in my cover letter. I've also got two stories coming out either next month or in January in an actual print magazine, which will be my first time in print that isn't an anthologized bundle.

It's also my second time getting accepted by a British journal, so don't be afraid to toss some stories to international markets. I've seen a lot of journals that primarily look for authors from their own country (especially if they are funded by a grant or something, because then it's usually a requirement), but they'll still consider stories from elsewhere. They also tend to be friendlier towards reprints since the reader base isn't going to be overlapping much if at all.

ravenkult posted:

Sold a story to the Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing newsletter/Dark Moon Digest, along with a reprint of an old story.

In other news one of my stories is getting translated in French for the magazine Tenebres in 2017.

I'd love this thread to be more active. What can I help with?

That's pretty cool man, getting a story translated is one of my "someday" goals, though I haven't tried very hard yet and I'm honestly not even sure how to go about looking for markets like that other than stumbling across them.

I'd love for this thread to be more active too, so if anybody has any suggestions / questions / etc., let me know! I'm sure there is some useful info I've neglected, and there's more resources out there than I can keep track of, so anyone that finds something neat is more than welcome to stick it here.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Id like to thank you for starting this thread. I've been looking to get more into writing and this is a helpful resource when I'm going to look for other places. I'll be turning a submission to my college's magazine shortly.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Id like to thank you for starting this thread. I've been looking to get more into writing and this is a helpful resource when I'm going to look for other places. I'll be turning a submission to my college's magazine shortly.

Nice! Good luck!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I sent my first story to Ellery Queen and they took it. They keep a slot open every issue for all-new writers, which helps a ton for newbies and is something I wish more magazines did (although the competition is still high). I'm pretty happy.

Thanks CC for a mix of great and terrible advice.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I submitted a short piece (fifty words past flash fiction) to some journals yesterday. It's my first submission and not knowing much about journals I submitted to ones I vaguely recall from talking to writers and poets. This of course means I submitted to ones that are extremely hard to get into, and I could be waiting a while to hear a response. Of course I could also be rejected after they skim two paragraphs because the piece is really a love it or loathe it type thing.

Does anyone have advice for finding journals that have decent readership, but may not be well known? I've been releasing a lot of my writing (fiction, poetry and essay) on my website and it's difficult building up an audience unless I review a popular up and coming band, or a literary event (and then the attendee might retweet it and I get five views including them.) Really I'd just love to know my work is being enjoyed by someone, and if a place wanted to throw me some beer money as well it'd be great.

I signed up to Duotrope and am going to cave to paying the five bucks, but I have no idea about reach or spread of these journals. (Note, I haven't really written any fantasy or SF since my urban fantasy novel.)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Use Duotrope stats to gauge. Like volume of submissions. Go to your favorite journal that you KNOW is popular and scroll to the bottom where it says ''Pieces submitted here were also submitted to:''
Also check the hardest ones to get into and the highest paying ones. Use all of that and you should have a better idea.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Submitted on Wednesday morning GMT, got a response Friday noon GMT, "Thank you again for giving us the chance to consider "Walk." We're very sorry to say that it's not quite right for us, but we hope you find a good home for it soon."

I'm working up some poems now, old ones I've rejigged with newfound experience. And I'm writing a short story. And I'm doing my usual blogging. Gotta keep powering on. And I'll keep going with my novel and play as well. All basic level stuff but I have to start somewhere.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
its my bday

im made 2 stray but i <3 u all

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

PALE SPECTRES posted:

its my bday

im made 2 stray but i <3 u all

grats!!!

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Congrats, Spectres! If Black Ice decides also to put your story up as one of their website features, please do link us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice work!

Should we have a thread that's just links to published goon fiction?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Wow spectres that's amazing feedback. Well done.

Mrenda - looking at the acceptance rates on duotrope will really help put those rejections in perspective. Some of them are at less than 1%, and they're overestimates of the actual rates.

Once you've got rejections back from all your top-tier places, just submit them to a bunch of mid-tier ones. Once they have all rejected it submit to the low-tier ones. Meanwhile submit your next story to your top-tier markets!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Congrats spectres!

sebmojo posted:

Nice work!

Should we have a thread that's just links to published goon fiction?

I can slap some links in the OP if nobody wants to make a dedicated thread for it (and if someone does want to, that would be awesome too). There's a pretty hefty ream of goon stories floating around at this point.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

In entering a new submission to the Submission Grinder, I discovered a 250 word piece I'd written some time ago but forgot about, so after a quick cleanup I now have two very short pieces out there waiting for responses.

In other news, http://bingewatchingcure.com/ appears to be 19 days from closing submissions, so get your stories in if you've got something sitting around. I got a very fast response to mine, and the concept is kind of neat.

Edit: Fantasy & Science Fiction's submission system lets you see your exact position in the queue and frankly it's maddening :f5:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 13, 2016

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Pham Nuwen posted:

In other news, http://bingewatchingcure.com/ appears to be 19 days from closing submissions, so get your stories in if you've got something sitting around. I got a very fast response to mine, and the concept is kind of neat.

Thanks for the heads-up; I just submitted to this!

I also submitted a piece to Liminal Stories, and am looking forward to my upcoming rejection email(s).

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
Whoever told me to submit to Binge Watching Cure: it seemed like a good idea at the time

They just rejected me on Christmas morning.

Oh but the email has "good news" too!

quote:

So that's the bad news: Your story wasn't selected for The Binge-Watching Cure. But the good news is that we are planning genre-specific Binge-Watching Cure books, including separate science fiction/fantasy, horror, crime, thriller, romance, LGBT, urban, western, spiritual, and young adult anthologies. We'll open those books to submissions early next year. There will be updates via Twitter and our website. Please stay in touch.

:negative:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, none of those are happening.

I haven't sold anything new, but I'm shortlisted over at Ares Magazine, so hopefully something will come of it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

New year, new markets: http://www.cotronis.com/blog/2017/1/12/short-story-markets-and-submission-calls-2017-edition

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I got a story accepted for Takahe Magazine. https://www.takahe.org.nz

It's the first time I'll have a story in a print journal, which is cool. They spent a bit of time on proofreading, too, which is cool of them. Only a couple of minor corrections and one change suggestion but it's nice that they care enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

newtestleper posted:

It's the first time I'll have a story in a print journal, which is cool. They spent a bit of time on proofreading, too, which is cool of them. Only a couple of minor corrections and one change suggestion but it's nice that they care enough.

woo congrats!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

newtestleper posted:

Hell yeah!

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
noice

not naming names cuz that seems pointless but one place made me jump thru a million hoops including sending a photo??? and didnt even crit on the reject

not trying 2 derail tho. imma keep subbing. just feel patronized sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Name names! It will be interesting to look them up on duotrope and see what kind of an operation it is. Not getting any kind of critique is 100% normal though - you shouldn't expect it.

It's normal for places to get you to send a short bio with your sub, but I would expect a photo only to be asked for once you've subbed.

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread