Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like people always tell you to wash your lettuce or apples etc before eating them. But like, why? I've never seen someone legitimately scrub an apple with soap, warm water, and a brush, they usually just rinse it off in the sink and dry it with a paper towel or something. What exactly is this supposed to do? If your hand was dirty would you just run some water over it and call it good? Pesticides when they're used are already used within like a 50x tolerance of no noticeable effects on humans so you don't need to wash those off and anything worse than that like bacteria or w/e isn't going to give two shits about being sprinkled with water for a couple of seconds. Running water over something by itself isn't really going to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it gives you a fun activity to do with your cute girlfriend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is dirt on plants

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i preemptively baptise all my apples before eating them, for historical reasons

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like people always tell you to wash your lettuce or apples etc before eating them. But like, why? I've never seen someone legitimately scrub an apple with soap, warm water, and a brush, they usually just rinse it off in the sink and dry it with a paper towel or something. What exactly is this supposed to do? If your hand was dirty would you just run some water over it and call it good? Pesticides when they're used are already used within like a 50x tolerance of no noticeable effects on humans so you don't need to wash those off and anything worse than that like bacteria or w/e isn't going to give two shits about being sprinkled with water for a couple of seconds. Running water over something by itself isn't really going to do anything.

what are your opinions on gypsies?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I scrub everything I eat with steel wool before consumption.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
if you're ocd like me, it's just common sense

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea it removes all the flavor.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lol if u wash anything ever

we live in 21st century america ffs

you're not gonna get gangrene because you didn't wash your hands after touching a doorknob ffs

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Pesticides, yo.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wash all my cucumbers in a waterbased lube, for personal reasons

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Momma said everyone poops at the grocery store and doesn't wash their hands and then they go touch all the grapes because everyone touches all the grapes and that's why we have to wash the grapes.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

china bot posted:

if you're ocd like me, it's just common sense

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
you're supposed to clean and/or cook food before you eat it because you don't know where it's been and what germs might be living on it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i grew up thinking that raw eggs would make me sick but it turns out that was only because of the outer shells being contaminated. they sterilize egg shells now so you can suck down raw eggs all you like.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont wash them before i eat them but i do dunk them in water about 8 hours later

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
america deserved 9/11

Five Hole
Dec 18, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I scrub everything I eat with steel wool before consumption.

This, but cock and vag.

I like them "tender" :q:

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
You know that poo poo grows outside, right? I heard they pee on the vegetables to rinse them in the field!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Riscas posted:

You know that poo poo grows outside, right? I heard they pee on the vegetables to rinse them in the field!

thats dumb. i pee on them to rinse them in the sink.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

Pesticides, yo.
Covered in the op, this isn't the case because of the fda.

JustAwful posted:

Momma said everyone poops at the grocery store and doesn't wash their hands and then they go touch all the grapes because everyone touches all the grapes and that's why we have to wash the grapes.

Novo posted:

you're supposed to clean and/or cook food before you eat it because you don't know where it's been and what germs might be living on it

These concerns do make more sense than pesticides but the issue is plain old water wouldn't do anything about a dude making GBS threads on his hands and touching your apples anymore than you'd consider your own hands clean if you simply rinsed them off after touching something gross. Water is not antibacterial you'd need soap or something with it. Plenty of things don't dissolve in water and anything bad that had been sitting on your fruit or veg prior to consumption will not be cleaned off merely by running cold water over it.

Cooking is one thing but rinsing your lettuce pretty much doesn't do anything scientifically speaking.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
next time you buy lettuce just put it in a sink full of water and look how much dirt comes out. do you really want to eat that?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Serious Frolicking posted:

i grew up thinking that raw eggs would make me sick but it turns out that was only because of the outer shells being contaminated. they sterilize egg shells now so you can suck down raw eggs all you like.

I eat raw/undercooked eggs from my backyard and don't ever get sick. I think it's gotta be because of the conditions battery hens are kept in that caused it in the first place

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Harald posted:

next time you buy lettuce just put it in a sink full of water and look how much dirt comes out. do you really want to eat that?

yes im a rude dirtboy looking for good time grime

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Nah, the fish people who control Big Water just want your money.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

aw yeah. look at all that loving dirty in my sink. i get my dick rock hard to think about how dirty my lettuce is

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Harald posted:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110602162820.htm

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

aw yeah. look at all that loving dirty in my sink. i get my dick rock hard to think about how dirty my lettuce is

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Dirty lettuce water and poop grapes. It's what's for dinner.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah i love eating dirt

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Honestly I do rinse my veggies but the only ones I can say that legitimately seem to give off grody water are like potatoes, cabbage and such the water is p clear. I'm too lazy to go googling around but I'd bet most industrially farmed stuff goes through some sort of power cleaning process before ending up at the grocery store just to make them look more presentable.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a slippery vegetable is easier to 'accidentaly' drop on the floor and need to keep bending down to grab but you keep losing your grip over and over while your curious friend looks on hungrily

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
rip ilikedirt. never posted his hands

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly I do rinse my veggies but the only ones I can say that legitimately seem to give off grody water are like potatoes, cabbage and such the water is p clear.

i have had lots of cilantro where if you dont risne it it is distinctively gritty

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a thorough wash is the only way to get ants out of freshly picked lettuce and pairs of pants

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Harald posted:

i have had lots of cilantro where if you dont risne it it is distinctively gritty

I guess it does make sense with high surface area leafy veggies so I appreciate your contribution but that still leaves a whole slew of stuff like apples or berries and such that obviously do not look visually dirty when you buy them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I DONT EAT VEGETABLES BECAUSE OF SOME WERID poo poo IN MY CHILDHOOD SO NOW I ONLY EAT CHEESE PIZZA AND FLAT MINERAL WATER

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a careful wash under running water is the only way to get the sand out of leek stalks and vaginas

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

you cannot be sure that the vegetable is dead unless you drown it op, it's only humane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
gets all the poopoo and peepee that the mexicans do on it in the fields off, its important to wash youre stuff

• Locked thread