Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The number one reason people get toxoplasmosis is from dirty vegetables (not cat poo poo like everyone seems to think, that's actually ridiculously rare) so wash your vegetables especially if you aren't cooking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
bullshit new laws mean when Gino orders his omlette the staff gotta tell him that they cant throw a few smokes in there. Its against the law now

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you want a deep fried ciggie now days you gotta call it Bath Ointment

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
if you put a cigarette out it now counts as rubbish so you can put half smoked smokes in food but its not the same

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Relatives from the old country tell stories of the war and how they could feed 12 people on a single cigarette

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

H.H posted:

A goon bewildered by the need for washing? Why i never

Even if this is a honeypot thread, fuckin eww

To be clear I do wash my veggies before eating them, apples I'm more lax about but I'd say i usually give em a quick rinse too. It was more 'I wouldn't consider anything else clean from having just ran water on it, why would it be different for something I'm about to put in my mouth" question. honestly I'm surprised about how effective a plain rinse is according to the fda, like I personally wouldn't eat with hands I had only just rinsed in water so it seems weird for that to be an acceptable standard for fruit/veg but I've come across a couple articles that say plain water is something like 99% effective and all those specialty washes don't do anything more, really makes ya think.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Im guessing its for rinsing off dirt that sets on them during growing, anything more cant be rinsed off

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Makes me feel better, op

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

don't they gamma ray sterilize food now? i guess you still need to rinse off the hulk germs that survive

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I always just figured that cooking my vegetables would take care of anything on them, except for mushrooms, because those come with dirt clods right on them.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
In the navy we'd give to the sea and take from the sea. slowly spilling all fresh food overboard and collecting new foods from the ocean

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
back then a surf and turf was some jetsam with cigarettes in it cooked in a freezer!!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
jesus christ i got flotsam and jetsam mixed up again im so sorry gently caress

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

lol if u wash anything ever

we live in 21st century america ffs

you're not gonna get gangrene because you didn't wash your hands after touching a doorknob ffs

yeah im sure glad we have eradicated all germs and disease in 21st century america

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like people always tell you to wash your lettuce or apples etc before eating them. But like, why? I've never seen someone legitimately scrub an apple with soap, warm water, and a brush, they usually just rinse it off in the sink and dry it with a paper towel or something. What exactly is this supposed to do? If your hand was dirty would you just run some water over it and call it good? Pesticides when they're used are already used within like a 50x tolerance of no noticeable effects on humans so you don't need to wash those off and anything worse than that like bacteria or w/e isn't going to give two shits about being sprinkled with water for a couple of seconds. Running water over something by itself isn't really going to do anything.

Because the people that pick and process your produce are often literal slaves with poor access to hygienic facilities.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
sometimes I just wash the vegetables and throw them out. just drink the wash from the sink.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Isaac posted:

sometimes I just wash the vegetables and throw them out. just drink the wash from the sink.

Just get a garbage disposal, you can wash and dispose of your vegetables at the same time. It saves me hours every month.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

criscodisco posted:

Just get a garbage disposal, you can wash and dispose of your vegetables at the same time. It saves me hours every month.
I have one and I'm so loving hungry

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Wash your food.

Waste water treatment plants sell their bio waste to farmers as fertilizer.

That could be literal human poo poo on your food.

Wash your drat food.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

im going to make anote of this

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

ArbitraryC posted:

the issue is plain old water wouldn't do anything about a dude making GBS threads on his hands and touching your apples anymore than you'd consider your own hands clean if you simply rinsed them off after touching something gross.

This is incorrect. Rinsing removes a lot of bacteria and lowers disease rates. There have been studies done to compare illness rates for 1) no hand washing versus 2) water-only and 3) soap and water washing. Obviously soap and water is best for hand washing, but the evidence shows that water-only is still a huge improvement versus unwashed. (don't use soap on fruits/vegetables though)

you're thinking about this in a black-and-white way, but it's not. One bacterium is much less dangerous than a trillion. Less dirt is better.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Washing, do we really have to? asks goon

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive never heard someone question the wisdom of washing produce. fuckin goons

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
One time I saw some kind of mentally retarded man copiously drooling all over the bananas while he picked a satisfactory bunch. Yes I know they're peeled, but he may have moved into other produce! (Still I'm lazy and forget to wash half the time)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hoplosternum posted:

One time I saw some kind of mentally retarded man copiously drooling all over the bananas while he picked a satisfactory bunch. Yes I know they're peeled, but he may have moved into other produce! (Still I'm lazy and forget to wash half the time)
what if he had healing spittle

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
most farmers water their fields with urine, to restore nitrates

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

To be clear I do wash my veggies before eating them, apples I'm more lax about but I'd say i usually give em a quick rinse too. It was more 'I wouldn't consider anything else clean from having just ran water on it, why would it be different for something I'm about to put in my mouth" question. honestly I'm surprised about how effective a plain rinse is according to the fda, like I personally wouldn't eat with hands I had only just rinsed in water so it seems weird for that to be an acceptable standard for fruit/veg but I've come across a couple articles that say plain water is something like 99% effective and all those specialty washes don't do anything more, really makes ya think.

You should always wash something before you put it in your mouth

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I purposefully don't wash my vegetables because I like to live dangerously. The ladies loving love that poo poo.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I like my poo poo SOGGY op. I rinse all my food. It's not even about clean

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

AugmentedVision posted:

lol if u wash anything ever

we live in 21st century america ffs

you're not gonna get gangrene because you didn't wash your hands after touching a doorknob ffs

http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/outbreaks.html

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I buy all my veg from a market and I wash it because I don't like eating poo poo and gravel.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

wash everything before you put it in your mouth

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Brush your teeth too because they're like the door of your mouth and you wouldn't want a dirty front door now would you?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'll brush my teeth when science can prove that it makes any sort of difference.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

Zorodius posted:

This is incorrect. Rinsing removes a lot of bacteria and lowers disease rates. There have been studies done to compare illness rates for 1) no hand washing versus 2) water-only and 3) soap and water washing. Obviously soap and water is best for hand washing, but the evidence shows that water-only is still a huge improvement versus unwashed. (don't use soap on fruits/vegetables though)

you're thinking about this in a black-and-white way, but it's not. One bacterium is much less dangerous than a trillion. Less dirt is better.

sounds to me like soap, hot water, shampoo, tooth paste etc are some of the biggest scams going. lads just give yourselves a quick rinse off under cold water and save yourself some time and money. even better just go for a walk in the rain

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

criscodisco posted:

I'll brush my teeth when science can prove that it makes any sort of difference.

Floss ur teeth then smell the floss

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

CabaretVoltaire posted:

sounds to me like soap, hot water, shampoo, tooth paste etc are some of the biggest scams going. lads just give yourselves a quick rinse off under cold water and save yourself some time and money. even better just go for a walk in the rain

Be careful not to go out too far to the sea. You might reach the edge and fall of the earth

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I only wash them because I'm a little snobbish and don't like the thought that someone lower class might have touched them, such as a builder. They do that you know.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yes yes..yes. YES it does OP.... it, it gets them *pauses*...............................................................................................damp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

CabaretVoltaire posted:

I know right? This is honestly the part that's getting me, 99% bacteria removed and the specialty washes you can buy at whole foods or w/e don't actually do anything extra. Last night I found enough articles to suggest this was true (that number comes from the fda) and the only case it isn't is with precut veg where the bacteria has had a chance to get inside the leaves and such itself in which case heat is the only safe route.

Zorodius posted:

Yeah you're totally right and I learned something yesterday but it just doesn't make intuitive sense to me at all. I wouldn't take a poo poo, rinse my hands with plain cold water, then eat (and this is what most people seem to be afraid of the handlers doing itt) and yet according to the fda that honestly should be good enough.

• Locked thread