Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Like if I had a choice between flying and not I might stop doing it but in most cases it just isn't even in the realm of being a viable option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

kazr posted:

osama won

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
do you guys think someone will eventually be crazy enough to smuggle enough plastic explosive up their rear end to blow up a plane and then do it

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
The TSA is a bunch of idiots and shouldn't get a pass, but just last week I'm standing in the very short PreCheck line and this lady in front of the line starts yelling about how its not fair that she couldn't use the PreCheck line and because she stood in this very short line she should be allowed to use it anyway.
Of course she was denied, so she walked away dragging her much too large rolling carry on and duffle bag (which will take her about 10 mins to store in the overhead) and started yelling; "THEY SHOULD HAVE A SIGN" as she walked past the 7 foot tall blue and green TSA PRECHECK LINE HERE sign.

The TSA sucks, but entitled idiots like her make the overall flying experience much much worse.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

kazr posted:

osama won

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kazr posted:

osama won

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

shoophobo posted:

The TSA is a bunch of idiots and shouldn't get a pass, but just last week I'm standing in the very short PreCheck line and this lady in front of the line starts yelling about how its not fair that she couldn't use the PreCheck line and because she stood in this very short line she should be allowed to use it anyway.
Of course she was denied, so she walked away dragging her much too large rolling carry on and duffle bag (which will take her about 10 mins to store in the overhead) and started yelling; "THEY SHOULD HAVE A SIGN" as she walked past the 7 foot tall blue and green TSA PRECHECK LINE HERE sign.

The TSA sucks, but entitled idiots like her make the overall flying experience much much worse.
The carry on situation is mostly the fault of all the airlines charging for checking poo poo and/or losing your poo poo when you do check it. My gf has like a membership so her and +1 can check a bag for free and it's convenient as gently caress but I do recall a time when my options were be an rear end in a top hat taking up way too much overhead space or shell out 50 bucks for a checked bag and that's a pretty easy choice to make.

You know they now have an excess of space too cause at the start of every flight they start asking people if they want to check one of their carry ons for free because now there's not enough overhead room and the whole thing is just a racket to squeeze more money for the same service.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
True that. Airlines lose bags all day and it's pretty garbage that they charge for the privilege of having some clown slam your bags around and then ship them to a random city chosen by throwing darts at a map.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

ArbitraryC posted:

The carry on situation is mostly the fault of all the airlines charging for checking poo poo and/or losing your poo poo when you do check it. My gf has like a membership so her and +1 can check a bag for free and it's convenient as gently caress but I do recall a time when my options were be an rear end in a top hat taking up way too much overhead space or shell out 50 bucks for a checked bag and that's a pretty easy choice to make.

You know they now have an excess of space too cause at the start of every flight they start asking people if they want to check one of their carry ons for free because now there's not enough overhead room and the whole thing is just a racket to squeeze more money for the same service.

Yeah the airlines are to blame too, charging as much at they do for bags should be criminal, especially the big three (united, Delta, AA).
But I think losing bags is on the downside, I flew about 45 times last year and never lost a bag. Once or twice they were on a later flight, but that's it. Not sure if that's an industry trend or Delta just figured their poo poo out.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

shoophobo posted:

Yeah the airlines are to blame too, charging as much at they do for bags should be criminal, especially the big three (united, Delta, AA).
But I think losing bags is on the downside, I flew about 45 times last year and never lost a bag. Once or twice they were on a later flight, but that's it. Not sure if that's an industry trend or Delta just figured their poo poo out.

I think it's specific airports and/or flights. When i was going to college in smalltown usa (we're talking like 30k pop with 20 or so of that being students, airport was the size of your garage) the last leg of my trip was always from seatac to that airport, short 40 minute hop but at least 50% of the time my bags wouldn't get there with me and I'd have to pick it up a day or two later after they found it and sent it on the next flight. They never lost lost my bags tho.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
teh future is here and it loving sucks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shoophobo posted:

lol if you're a frequent flyer and not in TSA PreCheck. Just lol.

I would also recommend the Global Entry program since it includes faster custom checks for just $20 more.

You can do the application online but have to show up in person for a interview/giving you mark of the beast.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, and the Admiral's Lounge/Club

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I fly twice a week and when i see those retardo lines i give even less fucks because that means im not even taking my shoes off, they aint even got time to scan a bitch

thanks detroit and newark TSA, stay classy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how real world tests for the TSA found they missed 90% of the items.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was done with flying when i had the bad judgement to fly frontier to Vegas last year.

jesus christ a $40 surcharge to bring a backpack carryon. Like, on my back. gently caress it i'll rent a car and take 2 extra days, see some lovely diners or smth.
i did get a bunch of police scanners and ham radios and rechargeable batteries and wires and circuit boards through with 0 questions. being a white tech dude owns

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Kinda just sounds like you flew with a crappy airline to me (or had a massive backpack). Was it Southwest?

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

i was done with flying when i had the bad judgement to fly frontier to Vegas last year.

jesus christ a $40 surcharge to bring a backpack carryon. Like, on my back. gently caress it i'll rent a car and take 2 extra days, see some lovely diners or smth.
i did get a bunch of police scanners and ham radios and rechargeable batteries and wires and circuit boards through with 0 questions. being a white tech dude owns

It's free if your bag fits under your seat. See people (often women with handbags) get nailed with this one every time I fly with them.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

plz don't say that about my friend Mecca

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
I went through security in Jordan and everything was really chill. America needs to get their poo poo together.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
every time i fly now a black man rubs me down. am i on a list or am I just that attractive???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

noctambulous nebab posted:

It's free if your bag fits under your seat. See people (often women with handbags) get nailed with this one every time I fly with them.

weird. I definitely put it under my seat (it was just a fuckin jansport bag not some mountaineer hulkpack) and still got dinged. ANyways, Frontier Sucks thats my story

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I would still carry on even if checking was free (it is on some airlines) because waiting for the luggage sucks.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Laughing at all you plebes that have to fly commercial.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

weird. I definitely put it under my seat (it was just a fuckin jansport bag not some mountaineer hulkpack) and still got dinged. ANyways, Frontier Sucks thats my story

You got a bitchy airport employee, I've seen them pull that poo poo too. Know your rights next time.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

shoophobo posted:

lol if you're a frequent flyer and not in TSA PreCheck. Just lol.

Sure let me just pay $86 so I can somehow drive an hour to the TSA facility during business hours on a weekday, so that the most brutally incompetent federal agency can hold all my biometric data in perpetuity, in order to facilitate that agency doing the job they were supposed to do in the first place, and for which they are already compensated by the federal budget and ticket surcharges.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how taller/bigger people sit in the coach seats for any length of time

I think it would be better than those miserable coach seats if they packed you into horizontal tubes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't know how taller/bigger people sit in the coach seats for any length of time

I think it would be better than those miserable coach seats if they packed you into horizontal tubes

Heh, bigger

walgreenslatino posted:

Sure let me just pay $86 so I can somehow drive an hour to the TSA facility during business hours on a weekday, so that the most brutally incompetent federal agency can hold all my biometric data in perpetuity, in order to facilitate that agency doing the job they were supposed to do in the first place, and for which they are already compensated by the federal budget and ticket surcharges.

Trump 2016

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Roylicious posted:

Kinda just sounds like you flew with a crappy airline to me (or had a massive backpack). Was it Southwest?

he said frontier right there and southwest is good. they specifically dont charge for checked luggage or carryons

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't really travel outside of the city where I live, or even outside of the apartment where I live

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jenny Agutter posted:

he said frontier right there and southwest is good. they specifically dont charge for checked luggage or carryons

I don't fly cattle airlines, but aren't these really lovely " stand in a coral to fight for a seat" airlines.? They set up the situation to be confrontational. Passenger vs passenger. Passenger vs agent.

I fly a poo poo ton, like others ITT, it's bad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
No you get a number for the line and seats are first come first serve.
It's pretty much the slowest way to seat a plane but it's not confrontational.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I flew once from toronto to punta cana(da. They loving LOVE making this joke) and then back on westjet and it was painless and enjoyable.

The states are at their best when you just fly over them.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

notZaar posted:

No you get a number for the line and seats are first come first serve.
It's pretty much the slowest way to seat a plane but it's not confrontational.

truth in this post. it actually feels way less confrontational than other airlines because everyone is lined up neatly before boarding instead of a surging mass of people jockeying for position when group 2 is called up. and unless youre at the end of the line you have a decent chance of sitting up front because people would rather sit 20 rows back than take a middle seat on an hour long flight

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's gotten to the point where if I can make the drive in 12 hours or less, I'm not dealing with flying. I hate flying.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

What's even better is when the person in front of you wants to lean back and then gets upset that you can't retract your knees like a telescope. I dunno why they even bother making the seats have that recline function, it's not enough to actually make you any more comfortable but if the person behind you has long legs it just makes them even more crowded.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jenny Agutter posted:

truth in this post. it actually feels way less confrontational than other airlines because everyone is lined up neatly before boarding instead of a surging mass of people jockeying for position when group 2 is called up. and unless youre at the end of the line you have a decent chance of sitting up front because people would rather sit 20 rows back than take a middle seat on an hour long flight

You've never flown? I wait till group 5, and sit an assigned seat. There is no moving around unless you agree, then I say gently caress you grandma. A lot of non flyer anecdotes ITT. Do you know they charge for premium seats on non cattle car airlines too?

I had people jockey in front of me on a Vegas cheapo flight i took for fun, and literally held out a group ticket that wasn't her group and said "I just don't understand so I'm getting on!"

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
"Now boarding Zone 1"
*30 people from zone 3 stand in front of gate*

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Darth123123 posted:

You've never flown? I wait till group 5, and sit an assigned seat. There is no moving around unless you agree, then I say gently caress you grandma. A lot of non flyer anecdotes ITT. Do you know they charge for premium seats on non cattle car airlines too?

I had people jockey in front of me on a Vegas cheapo flight i took for fun, and literally held out a group ticket that wasn't her group and said "I just don't understand so I'm getting on!"

lol this. How does it "feel confrontational" when everyone has an assigned seat? I'm imagining some kind of Rain Man triggered fetal position shaking episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

shoophobo posted:

"Now boarding Zone 1"
*30 people from zone 3 stand in front of gate*
It's like they think someone can just sit in your spot and all the agents will just shrug and say "well he did get here first"

• Locked thread