Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I'm an unashamed matte apologist. Matte is better in all situations. Enjoy your smudges, glossies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What application? Photos? Monitor? TV? Phone? Painting? Poster???

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

all applications at all times

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Who the gently caress prefers gloss over matte? Just lol at some people

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
mostly highly-detailed miniature wargaming figurines tbh

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
opaque or translucent?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i drive a matte black car, its really really fast

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Matte wall paint is optimal, but door and window trim looks better in at least semi-gloss.

Gloss pictures are always sticky and look cheap.

Matte paint jobs on cars look great, but only if it's gray and already a badass car.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

"semi gloss" is just a fancy term for "half matte"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ferroque posted:

all applications at all times

Oh, in that case matte for matte applications, gloss for gloss applications.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
If you're having trouble deciding, think about it this way: The true Batcar is a matte car

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Big satin finish lover here

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Dildos:

matte is a sign of quality. I would not stick a glossy dildo in my posterior, because who knows what sorts of goofy gunk cause that gloss!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
how about some overplayed plastidipped cars OP???????

or how about..... matte... colorchanging spray can rubber??

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i only prefer gloss in its original usage, ie an annotation in a book or text

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
gloss

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
gloss poster? no thanks, I don't need that glare from the natural lighting where i've displayed it

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

how about some overplayed plastidipped cars OP???????

or how about..... matte... colorchanging spray can rubber??

ah, but the windows need to be matte, as well

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Stinky_Pete posted:

ah, but the windows need to be matte, as well

too much matte. too much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My artiste psuedonym is Matt Varnish

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
gloss is tacky and awful, matte is pretty and soothing

if you need something shiny to get you excited then take a moment to consider that those sparkling lights are just a reflection

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

:barf:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that all laptops pretty much only come with glossy screens these days saddens me. I think Lenovo is the only one left still giving you the option to get matte.

Every glossy electronic device I have looks like poo poo. I have the original fat PS3 and it looks like I threw it off a cliff but in reality I just moved it around a few times. If you gently rub that thing on a carpet once for 10 seconds it permanently destroys how it looks. The New 3DS XL is slippery poo poo and I hate it, the old one was matte and was fine. It also still looks brand new and the glossy one has scratches already with minimal use. I have a portable Western Digital hard drive that is glossy for some reason and it looks like it has been through war. My matte one looks brand new. Same usage between the two.

As for pictures, I hate glossy. Permanent fingerprints and poo poo always sticks to it (especially dust or some other debris). Matte always looks better in virtually every instance. For some reason when we order photos from our local pharmacy, glossy is available right away but matte has to be mailed away and be waited for. I also noticed when we order photos, the matte ones simply look more professional and less like it just came out of a printer (even though they both came from the same place).

The only situation where gloss is acceptable is a grand piano.

Remember when they had to figure out some incredible coating technology to get plasma TV screens to not be glossy....bur now TVs are intentionally glossy as a feature? :cripes:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I go to music school and let me tell you: No

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gloss is gross. Matte for everything forever.

Except maybe cars, glossy metallic paint is cool and good.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
gently caress YEAH EGGSHELL

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I always have my nail lady buff my fingers for the glossy look.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Gloss is good for when you're painting your kitchen and plan on getting food all over the walls. Makes for easy cleanup.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What if you cut yourself and your blood came out matte instead of glossy??? :2bong:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The fact that all laptops pretty much only come with glossy screens these days saddens me. I think Lenovo is the only one left still giving you the option to get matte.

Every glossy electronic device I have looks like poo poo. I have the original fat PS3 and it looks like I threw it off a cliff but in reality I just moved it around a few times. If you gently rub that thing on a carpet once for 10 seconds it permanently destroys how it looks. The New 3DS XL is slippery poo poo and I hate it, the old one was matte and was fine. It also still looks brand new and the glossy one has scratches already with minimal use. I have a portable Western Digital hard drive that is glossy for some reason and it looks like it has been through war. My matte one looks brand new. Same usage between the two.

As for pictures, I hate glossy. Permanent fingerprints and poo poo always sticks to it (especially dust or some other debris). Matte always looks better in virtually every instance. For some reason when we order photos from our local pharmacy, glossy is available right away but matte has to be mailed away and be waited for. I also noticed when we order photos, the matte ones simply look more professional and less like it just came out of a printer (even though they both came from the same place).

Remember when they had to figure out some incredible coating technology to get plasma TV screens to not be glossy....bur now TVs are intentionally glossy as a feature? :cripes:

Im convinced the glossy thing is just a plot to force people to buy new poo poo all the time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mange Mite posted:

Im convinced the glossy thing is just a plot to force people to buy new poo poo all the time

It's the only thing I can come up with.

Either that or to make cheap garbage look more expensive.

I don't know how people use laptops that are like a mirror when you are using them [insert joke about my ugly mug here]. But the "color reproduction" :rolleyes: . Yeah I am sure that $300 Asus laptop monitor is all about color reproduction for professional use. Pros use OLED or probably even CRT still for that type of stuff.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
pro tip:

if you see a glossy banana, it is almost certainly fake. the only nutritious banana is a matte banana

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OctoberBlues posted:

What if you cut yourself and your blood came out matte instead of glossy??? :2bong:

It comes out gloss then becomes matte

Much like my cumshots

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
you can't spell gloss without "loss," which is what happens to the value of things that are glossy

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
UV Gloss

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
matte helmet with gloss logo is the shiz

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

it's like that obelisk from 2001

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Gloss does have it's uses.

When painting kitchens, you should use a glossier paint, because the gloss makes it easier to clean. Any food splatters in your kitchen on matte paint will be nearly impossible to scrub off.

Twice, I have had people paint the kitchen cabinets in my apartment with a white matte paint and they always get really gross and stained.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

the head of my dick is glossy and I'm glad of it people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

gloss.jpg

• Locked thread