Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Hello Dreamers, and welcome to The Dreamy Let's Play! I've long debated posting here, but I always wound up forgetting until it was too late, or not being entirely sure if it would fit in here, but as 2016 represents our fifth year in existence, I thought now was as good a time as any.

We're taking on every single game in the Kirby franchise, from Kirby's Dream Land on the Game Boy all the way up to Kirby: Planet Robobot on the 3DS. Along the way, as part of each game's first video, we'll be taking a look at the development process, as well as the turmoil behind the scenes as HAL Laboratory got its sea legs in its early days, and moved on to create bigger and better things like the Super Smash Bros. series later on in life.

Join us! (Gonna be prettying up this post as more games come in, and as time permits. Little bare-bones right now, but it'll grow!)

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

And to kick us off, here is our first video for Kirby's Avalanche featuring a dive into the history of puzzle games, particularly Tetris and Puyo Puyo (along with a quick nod to Madou Monogatari)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96IMr5reCs

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Have you, perchance, read the stickied rules thread in this subforum?

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I did, everything looked pretty copacetic... I hope I didn't gently caress something up already :\

If you're talking about the "no dumps" bit, yeah this is a bit large of an opening drop. We're looking to be doing daily uploads for the rest of the year, I figured 36 wouldn't be the worst thing, though I'd totally understand if it was too bulky a start.

Planning on prettying up the OP with a little more info and such when I'm out of work tonight too, it's a bit bare-bones at the moment.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 17, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The main problem I think a lot of people are going to have with this thread is that your account and OP are pretty blatantly set up to be an advertisement for your youtube channel. You've basically never made a post outside of this thread, your avatar is your channel's logo, and your OP immediately introduces you as the host of a channel and is full of mentions of all the cool things on it. Even if your videos are really good, this thread has a pretty strong feeling of advertising, which is generally frowned upon here.

Also, 36 videos is way too many to dump at the start of a thread. Most video LPs here don't start with more than three, if that.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

That's understandable, I can definitely see how that puts the whole thing in a lovely light. Way late to the party on starting this at a point in the set that would have been more reasonable (it got started back in March, but I was super swamped and didn't give myself time to actually plant some roots appropriately). Avatar was one I uploaded a while back when I was debating getting in on stuff here, and the forums are a bit daunting so I hadn't really dug in and participated since I wanted to make sure I could actually jump in deep when I did/do.

I can pull back on the advertising, it was more meant to just sort of introduce myself and some backdrop as to what the thread was about, but I certainly understand why that might sour folks on the thread too. Never meant for it to just be a linkdump by any means, I do wanna stick around and get into stuff around the boards, I guess I'm still sort of figuring stuff out and more than likely should have lurked a bit longer before pitching the tent.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The main problem I think a lot of people are going to have with this thread is that your account and OP are pretty blatantly set up to be an advertisement for your youtube channel. You've basically never made a post outside of this thread, your avatar is your channel's logo, and your OP immediately introduces you as the host of a channel and is full of mentions of all the cool things on it. Even if your videos are really good, this thread has a pretty strong feeling of advertising, which is generally frowned upon here.

Also, 36 videos is way too many to dump at the start of a thread. Most video LPs here don't start with more than three, if that.

I fully agree with this.

Another note is that your intros on games are... rather unique, for a letsplay. I haven't ever seen something like that, it looks more like a game review video. However, those parts are not about you promoting yourself, like many youtube intros are, they are actually about the game. Points for that.

The thing is - I think people come to this subforum for seeing the gameplay. If you talk about a game's history during the gameplay, that's fine. But it takes a really long time before you even get started, and I don't really want to wait that long, and skipping to the right place in the video isn't a good solution either.

I find it hard to make concrete suggestions. Your LP doesn't seem bad, the LP parts by themselves, at least the little I've seen, would do fine on these forums. And perhaps there is a public out there for your 'combined' videos.

Okay, have some suggestions anyway:

- Drop any mentions of your channel and what you've done in the past. We don't care. You'll need to show us new stuff and if you're good, people will just start following you by themselves. People here see even those slight mentions in your OP as advertising.

- Start a thread with the intention of doing an LP just for SA. Of course you can post it on your youtube channel for your other subscribers, but think about what the people want here. Start a thread with just one video (so no youtube dumps) and then post an update once or twice a week, depending on the length of the videos. I, and many others here, literally don't have the time to watch a letsplayer's new videos if there's a new one EVERY DAY. It's way too much.

- To make the videos more interesting to watch, combine your intro with the actual LP. Make a list of informative stuff you want to say in advance, bring it up during the playthrough, and if you're talking about stuff like box art, well, you can always have it pop up on the side of the screen for a second during the LP. I'm not gonna watch a 10 min intro before the gameplay even begins.

OR, just keep doing your thing, but accept that the people in this forum may not be interested. The entire reason I'm making this long post is because I do see a lot of potential in what you're making, it's just not the kind of thing people visit these forums for.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

your avatar is your channel's logo

Well, that's been fixed apparently. :psyduck:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly this is far from the worst dump I've ever seen. I just picked a couple videos at random to watch and the actual content doesn't seem that bad. Intro might be a bit long and there's some suspect subtitle choices, but the video quality seems fine. If you left it at "Hey this is part of a Mega LP but this thread is for doing [game]" you'd be fine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Artix posted:

Honestly this is far from the worst dump I've ever seen. I just picked a couple videos at random to watch and the actual content doesn't seem that bad. Intro might be a bit long and there's some suspect subtitle choices, but the video quality seems fine. If you left it at "Hey this is part of a Mega LP but this thread is for doing [game]" you'd be fine.

Oh okay, never mind that rule against a preponderance of videos then.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Also, you really should have posted in the Sandcastle first. That way everything that the other posters have said would not be clogging up the thread.

And yes, your videos aren't bad. Just fix the presentation as everybody here directed you, maybe remove (or just put an annotation/timestamp that would allow us to skip it, clicking an annotation/timestamp isn't hard) the obscenely long intro-not-intro-actually-a-review-slash-history-segment from the first video, and you'll be fine.

The very fact that you're not being laughed out of here is basically an indication that you're not doing it wrong as far as the actual LP itself is concerned. Look here for an example of what happens when you fail the "don't get laughed out of the forums" test.

And yes, 36 videos is way too loving many and it's very much consitutes a "Youtube dump".

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 17, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
JordanKai and I had a little chat about this thread.

OP; you are testing the YouTube Dump rule. 36 is not an insignificant number of videos to drop all at once, even if the total promises to be hundreds. We wound up basically arguing semantics. We ultimately decided not to intervene - and it was not exactly a unanimous decision - because we can tell that you give a drat, because the videos you dumped are technically separate LPs, and also because you more or less immediately toned down the advertising angle of your first post.

So go on as you were, but please understand that a) you pushed your luck and b) this wouldn't've happened if you'd absorbed a few more lessons from other LP threads here rather than just reading the rules.

(For what it's worth, if you take on some of the feedback you've gotten already about your format and the infodump intro, I am reasonably sure that if you started another series LP here - from the beginning this time - it would go over a lot better.)

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Replying to as much stuff as I can while I've got a second -- I really appreciate the feedback and advice on everything, guys.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I fully agree with this.

Another note is that your intros on games are... rather unique, for a letsplay. I haven't ever seen something like that, it looks more like a game review video. However, those parts are not about you promoting yourself, like many youtube intros are, they are actually about the game. Points for that.

Yeah, that was something we toyed around with for Mega Man, a little differently. Intros dealt with the development of the game, outros dealt with the reception and aftermath, but we wound up having to shoot two live videos back to back every time, which wound up being a bit taxing, so now we start a new game with the other game's "outro" material. The franchise play stuff is definitely out of admiration for our favorite games, so we thought it would be right to really detail what went into each game and give each one it's due (as best we can, anyway -- some games have notoriously little info out there)

Carbon dioxide posted:

The thing is - I think people come to this subforum for seeing the gameplay. If you talk about a game's history during the gameplay, that's fine. But it takes a really long time before you even get started, and I don't really want to wait that long, and skipping to the right place in the video isn't a good solution either.

Alexeythegreat posted:

And yes, your videos aren't bad. Just fix the presentation as everybody here directed you, maybe remove (or just put an annotation/timestamp that would allow us to skip it, clicking an annotation/timestamp isn't hard) the obscenely long intro-not-intro-actually-a-review-slash-history-segment from the first video, and you'll be fine.

This all sounds totally fair, I think I'll start incorporating an annotated skip button into the live stuff from here on out. Most of our intros are only ~3 minutes long, but this one wound up being pretty huge by comparison. It could definitely be nudging a lot of folks away from the videos.

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Drop any mentions of your channel and what you've done in the past. We don't care. You'll need to show us new stuff and if you're good, people will just start following you by themselves. People here see even those slight mentions in your OP as advertising.

Already done. Scaled it back a lot, no more links to other stuff.

Carbon dioxide posted:

- Start a thread with the intention of doing an LP just for SA. Of course you can post it on your youtube channel for your other subscribers, but think about what the people want here. Start a thread with just one video (so no youtube dumps) and then post an update once or twice a week, depending on the length of the videos. I, and many others here, literally don't have the time to watch a letsplayer's new videos if there's a new one EVERY DAY. It's way too much.

OR, just keep doing your thing, but accept that the people in this forum may not be interested. The entire reason I'm making this long post is because I do see a lot of potential in what you're making, it's just not the kind of thing people visit these forums for.

I think I'm gonna try a mix between the two -- we've been working to build our audience for a while now, and I'd hate to brush them off to start a new one, but I also don't want to just ignore folks here. This week's recordings are already pretty much in the bag, but I think from there out I'm gonna try meshing stuff a little bit, see where it goes from there.

Artix posted:

That's not a bad idea. I was kind of concerned that games that are shorter might not have much of a purpose in making new threads, but stuff like the Battle Network/Star Force games, or the Legends games that take a bit longer might be worth making a thread for.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, you really should have posted in the Sandcastle first. That way everything that the other posters have said would not be clogging up the thread.

That is a good point, I hadn't considered the merit of thread-idea feedback, it was striking me as more of a "get the thread physically set up and don't gently caress it up" thing, but that makes a lot of sense.

Alexeythegreat posted:

The very fact that you're not being laughed out of here is basically an indication that you're not doing it wrong as far as the actual LP itself is concerned. Look here for an example of what happens when you fail the "don't get laughed out of the forums" test.

Wow. Yeah... that was a hard watch. Honestly would have thought that intro was some kind of weird satire until the video itself actually started.

Alexeythegreat posted:

And yes, 36 videos is way too loving many and it's very much consitutes a "Youtube dump".

Fuckup duly noted. If it helps any, the links are changed to just playlist links so it's less aggressive, certainly not starting a thread that far in again either.

Again, I appreciate all the responses guys, definitely wasn't my intention to rub anyone the wrong way but it's pretty clear there were some big missteps in there. Hopefully I can course-correct, make the thread something enjoyable for everybody, and we can hang out and play some fun poo poo.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Fedule posted:

OP; you are testing the YouTube Dump rule. 36 is not an insignificant number of videos to drop all at once, even if the total promises to be hundreds.

Understood. I think it also didn't really occur to me that it was that many until I went to count them in the previous post, 36 is definitely too many.

Fedule posted:

So go on as you were, but please understand that a) you pushed your luck and b) this wouldn't've happened if you'd absorbed a few more lessons from other LP threads here rather than just reading the rules.

Yeah, I think if I spent a bit more time researching and lurking it would have gone over better, not a great way to start things off on my end. Lesson learned, hopefully I can keep the fuckups to a minimum (of zero) from here on out.

Fedule posted:

(For what it's worth, if you take on some of the feedback you've gotten already about your format and the infodump intro, I am reasonably sure that if you started another series LP here - from the beginning this time - it would go over a lot better.)

Nice, well I hope so. For what it's worth, for a situation like this (a series of LPs strung together) would it be preferable to split them into individual games, or keep it as one thread if they're thematically linked? We're doing a Sonic-based set starting at the end of next month, wasn't sure if I was going to post it here but if so I wanna make sure I'm coloring inside the lines, you know?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ricdesi posted:

For what it's worth, for a situation like this (a series of LPs strung together) would it be preferable to split them into individual games, or keep it as one thread if they're thematically linked? We're doing a Sonic-based set starting at the end of next month, wasn't sure if I was going to post it here but if so I wanna make sure I'm coloring inside the lines, you know?

LP megathreads are fine! We've had a couple before that went over just great (even specifically a Sonic one, so the case law is definitely on your side here!) so that won't be a problem.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh okay, cool! Just wanted to be sure this entire idea wasn't 100% flawed from the start, ha. Well thanks for the heads up on the megathread and the ruling in general, I'll do my best to keep things above board!

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So through until Friday, we've actually got two videos a day -- the big Tetris/Puyo intro took a lot longer to put together than intended and we wound up having a bit of a backlog. So to make up for the four lost videos, we're just doubling up this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rnnj79m6okhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfm9JD2Qz-8

Fair warning, John uh... takes a little time to get a grip on the game (despite saying he played a lot of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as a kid?) Which brings me to a question for you guys: did any of you grow up with either Mean Bean or Avalanche? I definitely played way more of the Game Gear game than any of the other ones (which had a GREAT "Puzzle Mode" the Genesis version mysteriously lacked) -- as a kid I knew they were all based on the same series, but I didn't realize until doing this series that they were literally just re-licensed versions of ports of the exact same game. Weird.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 18, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

This would have gone up last night in here, but I admit I was a bit distracted by getting tonight's/tomorrow's episodes situated, and... well, it could have gone better. But first, today's videos (with a surprisingly quickly-improving John):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V63_K8lfXDs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ier8Arsq-gg

As far as the problems go, we use the Hauppauge HD PVR2 to record and, for almost three years we've had very few problems. Then, after my laptop took a header and I needed a quick alternative, we started recording with my work Macbook instead, and we seem to be hitting bug after bug after bug. Hauppauge+Mac+Retron means the game audio runs 8.8% too fast and needs adjustment, some videos suddenly cut out (without the program notifying me, or even thinking that it's stopped recording at all), and last night we had a brand new frustration: a zero-byte video file, despite the recording program insisting we recorded a few GB at 9MB/s without interruption.

So tonight's Part 7 and Parts 1-3 of the next game all just vanished into thin air. Thankfully, they'll be easy to re-record, but this is the second time we've lost the footage for Part 7, so it's getting more than a little frustrating.

Gonna try recording off the dying laptop to see if (somehow) that goes better, but we'll see.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can see why HAL isn't big on remaking this one. It seems like this is a game where if you start losing you sort of keep losing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SSNeoman posted:

I can see why HAL isn't big on remaking this one. It seems like this is a game where if you start losing you sort of keep losing.

I dunno if they can. This is a reskin of Puyo Puyo, and I'm pretty sure SEGA owns that IP.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Yeah, ultimately it's Compile (and to an extent SEGA) who own the rights to the Puyo Puyo franchise, HAL almost certainly signed off on a one-time licensing deal. Granted, it was allowed on the Wii Virtual Console back in 2007, so it seems like Nintendo and HAL have control over the distribution of the game, but I doubt they'd be allowed a full remake without a new contract (probably way friendlier to Compile/SEGA since Kirby's such a huge name now, compared to 1995).

...and yes, once you start losing, the momentum can seriously gently caress you if you're not hugely lucky. Speaking of which, let's see if John can't keep his streak alive against the final two opponents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU2YLftdOM

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

So Kirby's Avalanche may be over, but in the spirit of exploring all these games have to offer, we decided to take a swing at the "1P vs. 2P" option in the game's menu.

...but when we did that, the video ended before anything could happen. So we recorded it again!

...and that video cut off five minutes from the end.

SO WE SAID gently caress IT and did it AGAIN. This one worked. (And is humongously non-indicative of how the first two recordings went.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJPuqZppRs

This video was meant to go up last night, but seeing as we were actively recording it then...

Anyway, today's going to be the last two-video day for the foreseeable future, with the first two videos of our next game coming this afternoon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So nobody's gonna deal with the Star Ball/Nightmare Wizard on top of the Fountain of Dreams? Okay then.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh WOW, I have no idea how none of us jumped on that! Missed opportunity for sure, gotta stay sharp, good eye!

Should have swung in with these yesterday, but seeing as it's a weekday-only series it's not too big a problem. Now it's time for the next game in the series: Kirby's Dream Land 2 on the original Game Boy. ...or was that the Game Boy Color? ...Super Game Boy?

KDL2 was a fantastic followup to the original Game Boy title, while clearly learning a lot from the Nintendo sequel. The powers from the NES version made it over to this one, some of them as regular powers, others as combinations with the animal companions (who were apparently named after the place they feel the most comfortable - land, sea, and sky - who knew?)

I love this game, and it's amazing to me that I can be such a big fan of both KDL and KDL2 when the sequel just annihilates the original in terms of... well, basically everything. Well done, HAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59xu9-TAwo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtCDKOlSA4

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Had a bit of trouble scrambling this one together -- some issues with our original recording laptop seem to have stuck around. While most of what we recorded this weekend appears to have gone over just fine, some kind of corrupt data snuck its way into our recording of this week's Kirby episodes (I wanna say Part 6 is where it'll rear its ugly head for ~10 seconds), which left me spending over an hour carefully syncing broken video and audio footage so everything stayed synched up. What a mess.

Anyway, today might be the first time you guys get to meet another member of our team, Dustin. He's been friends with John for over 20 years now, and at this point I've known him for almost 10 myself. He's taking the reins while John's at his brother (another, less-frequent collaborator on the channel)'s college graduation. The Rainbow Drop collection definitely takes a pretty rough turn right about here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsX1E-1ujiI

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kine gets poo poo on even in his reference in Crystal Shards. He's totally useless there. Even in the water.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Aw man, poor Kine... I definitely have a soft spot for the buttmonkey characters in a video game (Dustin and Ben even moreso than me), and Kine (while yes, being... just a really goddamn giant pain in the rear end to use in any game he's in) is one of my favorites, just because he visibly puts up with so much poo poo and never seems to complain about it.

Man, it'd be kinda cool if the animal buddies showed up in a Smash game in some capacity, kinda surprised they haven't already.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

But Magicarp appeared in Smash :v:

Also looking forward to you guys trying to do Tilt-And-Tumble :unsmigghh:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 24, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Haha, we've actually got an idea for Tilt 'n Tumble, and it promises to be pretty hilarious. Gonna be a little while, but hopefully the wait is worth it!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Op I like your videos and presentation. And to be fair, we have another Lper here, the name completely eludes me, baron something bobbin threadbare, who had informative history and fun lectures at the end of his videos for deus ex, it helped keep l.p. Only ppl interested but have other fans more to watch without having to skip around with time codes or separate videos. Something to keep in mind. You guys seem really earnest and not too corny, just the right amount. I'll watch more soon

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 24, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Hey, thanks man! Yeah, I never fully expected our live segments to be unique -- nearly everything's been done before -- but I figured we'd shoot for something that was at least uncommon, to give it something special that people might enjoy.

We've experimented a bit with how the live segments work (and we'll probably continue to with our Sonic series starting soon), and we definitely haven't quite figured out the best solution. With Mega Man we do a live intro to talk about the game's development and a live outro to talk about the aftermath of the game's release, but that means we need to produce two live videos back to back every time, and with 60-70 games, that's a shitload of live footage. There's also the weird metaplot thing we've got going there, which admittedly complicates things.

For Kirby, I decided to narrow it down to one: start the live section by talking about how the result of the previous game's release led to the next. Most Kirby titles presumably don't have a huge amount of background detail to talk about, so they're expected to stay shortish (the Kirby's Avalanche intro is almost certainly the longest we've ever done by at least a solid two minutes, major anomaly there).

I feel like if we go with live outros instead of live intros, we can create nice cliffhanger moments, but it does sort of soften the impact of the start of a new game. Granted, when we did Zelda we didn't do live bits at all, and the cold open into the games never really seemed to bother anyone...

I'm gonna have to ponder this one a bit. There's definitely better ways and worse ways to tackle it, trick is figuring out one that pleases people in general the most, without detracting from the videos themselves.

Anyway, thanks for the response and the advice, hope you like what you see!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Op I like your videos and presentation. And to be fair, we have another Lper here, whose name completely eludes me, baron something, who had informative history and fun lectures at the end of his videos for deus ex, it helped keep l.p

Your thinking of Bobbin Threadbare

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

mateo360 posted:

Yes, thank you

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Nice, I'll have to check him out then

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Serving up another slice from yesterday, at least we're making forward progress. Mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RKtP_1NUwI

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Another slightly late post here, this video did go up yesterday afternoon. Today's theme is uncomfortable wordplay! Dustin seems to be ignoring us while he moves through Red Canyon, while Ben and I are spending time contemplating the cornucopia of definitions of the word "gape".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeghdaEqxvU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Crystal Shards also had some PITA power puzzles, some of which were super unintuitive. Amazing Mirror also had them due to its metroidvania style.

Also as a longtime Battle Network fan, a series I got my username from even, your folder hurts me. Like I mean physical pain. Lemme help you out cause it looks massively unfun for you guys.
Some general tips:
-The unspoken rule of the BN franchise is to streamline your folder to one code (not including the * code). Two is acceptable as well. Three is pushing it, if you're not a :spergin: you will be able to use it fine, but having a third code could trip you up. The games never make this explicit though THEY REALLY REALLY SHOULD. Use Higsby's Chip Order system to make your folder less Alphabet Soup-y.
-Bass and Alpha are the final exam of the game and require opposite strategies. Bass needs a powerful hit to knock off his aura followed by a damaging attack. Alpha needs a constant barrage of attacks to damage its core and keep its shield down, though luckily he doesn't get mercy invincibility. You have a Wood style so you can really focus on a more Bass-oriented strategy.

Specific chip advice:
-Beastman is pretty bad, consider replacing him with Protoman if you need a B code. Especially since you can use Protoman for 2xHero PA. Well, I guess you can use THE SECRET CODE

giver posted:

While BeastMan's claw or head is over a panel, alternate between the A and B button to boost its damage once per press. So, if I alternate A and B over a panel that the first claw is attacking, it will deal damage (40), then a second time for my first press of the A button (40), then a third time for my press of the B button (40). If I am super fast, I can keep this up indefinitely. However, being that the attack does not last forever, the maximum amount of hits that BeastMan can hit the opponent is a staggering...14 times.
So yes you can potentially do silly poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0k5N4JATo
But I'd keep it simple. And Beastman doesn't work on Alpha anyway

-You have NO defenses except for a Barrier200. That's suicide. Take out some of those Recovers and Ratton1s and put in Invisible *s. These chips give you mercy invincibility and they can combo with everything. AntiDamage is good too, you can pick it up from the SciLab Square merchant.

-You have NO support. None. Get anything in here. QuickGauge is a fantastic choice for both fights. FullCust is fantastic if you can afford it (Use it at the end of a chip combo and you'll understand why it's good). And if you pony up 200 bugfrags you can pick up the FolderBack giga chip, which is sooooooooooooooo broken that Capcom never touched the idea ever again. (incoming :spergin: about NaviRecycle and Bubbleman in 3...2...)

-Speaking of which, Bubbleman is a fantastic chip! You can power it up with both Aqua +30s and Navi +40s. This combo is useful well into the post-game.

-If you're feeling daring, you can make use of your Team Style to use the MasterStyle PA. You'll need some Numberman codes though:
54390805 Thunderbolt *
88543997 Tsunami *
65497812 Salamander *
33157825 GaiaBlade *
Select Salamander, Tsunami, ThunderBolt and GaiaBlade in that order to create the PA. It does 9 hits of 100 Damage so long as the enemy is not on their back column. That's 900 Damage, which can be boosted further by stick an Attack +30 at the end of the chain. Of course that requires 4 Mega Chip slots (5 with the Attack +30) so...

"I just want to beat the loving game tell me what I should do you Neoman you gently caress" tips
-k. 23415891 gives you Airshoes for your Navi Cust. This lets you walk on broken panels. Alpha is now trivialized.
-Grind 200 Bugfrags, head to Hades Island, go to the top of the island on the outside and jack into one of the gargoyle lanterns. Follow the path to a Bugfrag trader. Pay 200 frags for FolderBack. This chip reloads all used chips back into your folder and instantly opens up your custom screen. Oh, also it reloads itself when it does this.
-Grab AntiDamage from the Scilab Square mechant. This lets you take a free hit and retaliate with 3 100 dmg shuriken. I have no idea who thought putting this insanely powerful chip into the second chapter was a good idea but god bless him.
-50098263 gives you Muramasa. A Longsword that does damage equal to the HP you lost. Up to 999.
-BigGuard is a PA that does 300 damage and requires Guard, Dash and Gutsman. Super easy to find, super easy to use.
-DeuxHero is a PA that does 8 hits of 70 and requires CustSword, VariableSword and Protoman. Power it up with an Attack+30 for hilarity. Also throw a Prism onto the enemies' field beforehand and that's a gg for most fights.
-Grab the Number trader codes for the Spin items from GameFaqs. This lets you spin programs in your Navi Cust. Supremely useful as the Navi Cust in BN3 is kind of rear end.

If you can, grab The Legendary Tomes quest. When you get the 3 tomes, do not hand them over to the dude. Instead head over to the school and look at the orange statue in the teacher's lounge. That's the only missable thing in the game.
Not sure if you can do this before or after beating Alpha.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 27, 2016

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Haven't posted the last two videos yet because I wanted to absorb that last post a bit and have some time to think about it. For those looking for the Thursday/Friday updates, they're right here (with the Battle Network response below them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2okFZBgXk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e96psMNyGg

Now, as far as the Battle Network note go:

Yeah, my greatest weakness across this whole series is definitely a lack of focus on Codes, instead zoning in on Attack power and nothing else. I do think I'll try to be more aware of that through the postgame and the games that follow this one. The games really don't ever emphasize the Codes well enough, and I think 2-3 is probably a comfortable zone to be able to have a diverse folder without spending hours scavenging for specifically-coded chips to fill out the ranks. I will definitely take a trip to Higsby's ASAP.

Yeah, Bass and Alpha having opposite strategies is a real thorn in my side (though admittedly, a very clever way to test the player at the end of the game without completely overpowering the final boss). Hell, the harder of the two is definitely Bass in my opinion. Gotta get a bit lucky to take him out, while Alpha is mostly a battle of attrition.

The NaviChips definitely need replacing, that's for sure. I didn't know about the secret code for BeastMan though, that's AWESOME. Definitely gonna have to try that out.

Defenses could definitely use some work. And if I clean up my Codes, that should help streamline it to the point where I can afford to do that without sacrificing much.

BubbleManV5+70 sounds absolutely ballistic, definitely keeping that in mind (especially since Fire is going to be problematic for me otherwise).

I'll keep that note on the Tomes in mind, and I think my first step in the postgame will be hitting up the Number Trader and just cracking it wide open. The time for subtlety was 24 weeks ago, gotta get this show on the road now.

Thanks for ALL the advice, I'm gonna do the best I can to apply that to the future of the BN/SF series!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I feel your pain, but to be fair, you guys brought that one on yourself by not trying to press Select again :v:

ricdesi posted:

Haven't posted the last two videos yet because I wanted to absorb that last post a bit and have some time to think about it. For those looking for the Thursday/Friday updates, they're right here (with the Battle Network response below them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2okFZBgXk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e96psMNyGg

[quote="ricdesi" post="460465555"]
Yeah, my greatest weakness across this whole series is definitely a lack of focus on Codes, instead zoning in on Attack power and nothing else. I do think I'll try to be more aware of that through the postgame and the games that follow this one. The games really don't ever emphasize the Codes well enough, and I think 2-3 is probably a comfortable zone to be able to have a diverse folder without spending hours scavenging for specifically-coded chips to fill out the ranks. I will definitely take a trip to Higsby's ASAP.

They really, really don't. BN3 was when they started to really try and streamline everything into a cohesive style. My fav game is BN2, but I freely admit that it's a loving mess. Folder building in that game is arguably worse than BN1's.

ricdesi posted:

Defenses could definitely use some work. And if I clean up my Codes, that should help streamline it to the point where I can afford to do that without sacrificing much.

The good news is that most of the supports I listed come in * code. Even if you don't have QuickGauge * though, put in a QuickGauge since you def should have one. Faster time between chip combos is never a bad thing. I'd even preset it.

ricdesi posted:

BubbleManV5+70 sounds absolutely ballistic, definitely keeping that in mind (especially since Fire is going to be problematic for me otherwise).

*V4 :v:
V5 Navi chips are giga chips which you only get in the post game after getting 5. Goddamn. Stars. They're exactly like V1-V4 only they do more damage. It's super not worth it, they take a longass time to get, you have MUCH better gigas by that point and they're just postgame filler.
In most games V3 is the most powerful version of the chip. In BN3 you can get V4, but that requires using a Team Style while getting a Busting rank of S and a time of under 20 secs (18.5 actually, according to giver).

Even Bubbleman's basic chip is very good and easy to power up. Getting his V3 can take some doing though, since BubblemanV3Beta only appears in Beach area when you are low on HP. Also you probably want to equip the fish NCP and then use Sneakrun subchip then run around until the pasty gently caress shows up and everything is terrible

Use this for Bubbleman:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=65#post438181838

And this for General/Flashman (Flashman's chip is crazy good yo):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=64#post437795838

ricdesi posted:

Thanks for ALL the advice, I'm gonna do the best I can to apply that to the future of the BN/SF series!

Good news is the list of tips for SF is a lot shorter because it's so easy:
SF1: Use Blank Card Codes. Get Gigas into favourites. Use Neverrain. Win game.
SF2:
SF3: Find V3 Wizards like SpadeMagnes. Beat him black and blue with an S rank while your Noise is over 300%. Enjoy X cards which demolish all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I feel your pain, but to be fair, you guys brought that one on yourself by not trying to press Select again :v:

Sure did! :razz:

SSNeoman posted:

V5 Navi chips are giga chips which you only get in the post game after getting 5. Goddamn. Stars. They're exactly like V1-V4 only they do more damage. It's super not worth it, they take a longass time to get, you have MUCH better gigas by that point and they're just postgame filler.

Yeah, so... I'm still working out how I'm going to handle the postgame in terms of the harder bosses, but I think ultimately I'm going to at least show each of them... and that's about it. I win: great! I lose: move on. This postgame can take a literal eternity, and no one wants that.

SSNeoman posted:

Good news is the list of tips for SF is a lot shorter because it's so easy:
SF1: Use Blank Card Codes. Get Gigas into favourites. Use Neverrain. Win game.
SF2:
SF3: Find V3 Wizards like SpadeMagnes. Beat him black and blue with an S rank while your Noise is over 300%. Enjoy X cards which demolish all.

See, I'm intrigued by the prospect of the Star Force stuff because I basically played zero of that series. I had a busted R button on my DS when I got the first game, which makes it... kinda difficult to play. So that'll be interesting.

Anywho! Things are moving along in Kirby's Dream Land 2, including (in Part 9) a surprising conversation about music theory, notation, and time signatures. Wasn't expecting that, both of us are into music too so it made for some interesting chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OotHBpktdes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_TG3vYMMo

• Locked thread