Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

glowing-fish posted:

I am kind of surprised that these type of edgy, anti-social philosophies seem to be so popular here. I would have thought more people would have taken the hippie route. I wonder if this is representative of teenagers in general, or is just because of goons.

Goons mostly were teenagers in the 90s and early 2000s what do you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Best Giraffe posted:

Goons mostly were teenagers in the 90s and early 2000s what do you expect?

But there was a large component of stoners and hippies, and wannabe stoners and hippies, in those decades. Or maybe growing up in Oregon gave me a bad sample?

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
I was into Magic the Gathering. O god, the nerd is still inside me. It hurts. It Hurts.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i wasn't even self aware until like junior high. the realization that the universe was indifferent to us, and the sun would some day explode destroying the solar system put me in a pretty good funk. thank god i didnt have a political phase as a child wtc.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

glowing-fish posted:

But there was a large component of stoners and hippies, and wannabe stoners and hippies, in those decades. Or maybe growing up in Oregon gave me a bad sample?

I think you can apply this in general tbh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Polygoon Window posted:

i wasn't even self aware until like junior high. the realization that the universe was indifferent to us, and the sun would some day explode destroying the solar system put me in a pretty good funk. thank god i didnt have a political phase as a child wtc.

The sun's not going to explode and destroy the solar system, it'll just become a red giant and envelop the earth, a bad philosophy indeed.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

yeah a sun doesnt explode it just burns out slowly like a candle i forgot, thanks for clearing that mystery up profesoor.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I became really religious from about 13 to 17, which isn't as common here in the UK as it is in the US. I prayed daily, adopted socially conservative opinions (No to gay marriage! Keep Sunday as a day of rest!) and took it upon myself to be confirmed. As part of that I read the Bible - all of it, not just the bits required for confirmation class. :eng101:

That shook my faith a bit, as even my underdeveloped teenage brain realised how unjust and/or nonsensical parts of it were. If I was on the side of God's enemies, didn't that make me a terrible person? In trying to reconcile this, I began reading more about the arguments for and against Christianity and belief in God generally. It took a couple of years, but I eventually traded belief in God/religion/conservative viewpoints for atheism and a more relaxed 'live and let live' attitude.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Conservatism

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Polygoon Window posted:

As much as a lot of these bad philosophies are bad, I think a lot of them seem to be based around a realization that our ego is separate from the rest of the universe. And that the universe is way bigger and more confusing than we thought it was. Of course, kids might have an understanding of time and space based on dinosaurs and astronomy, but I think the early teens is where we learn that our ego is very small and separated from the world.

In which case, my first instinct as a teenager being the desire to embrace the idea of oceanic union with the cosmos maybe meant I was being immature and refusing to grow up.

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
Sartre, Camus and 50 Cent.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

As much as a lot of these bad philosophies are bad, I think a lot of them seem to be based around a realization that our ego is separate from the rest of the universe. And that the universe is way bigger and more confusing than we thought it was. Of course, kids might have an understanding of time and space based on dinosaurs and astronomy, but I think the early teens is where we learn that our ego is very small and separated from the world.

In which case, my first instinct as a teenager being the desire to embrace the idea of oceanic union with the cosmos maybe meant I was being immature and refusing to grow up.

don't worry, I read michio kakus parallel worlds freshman year highschool and figured out how to escape the eventual heat death of the universe. pretty simple solution really and darnit if I didn't kick myself in he behind for not figuring it out myself!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, the idea that women aren't friends. Actually, women are friends, and they're real friends. They're not just activity partners, like most men are friends with other men.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I started eschewing oceanic melding with the cosmos when I meant hippie-types that were 17 and stoned and said things like "grass screams when you step on it, trees actually think u just dont understand" and stuff like that, it TOOK THAT to make me act a scientific rationalist when I should just ignore it.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Pick posted:

Also, the idea that women aren't friends. Actually, women are friends, and they're real friends. They're not just activity partners, like most men are friends with other men.

Clarify? I know lots of women who do activities with each other.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

For what its worth my liberal teenage self loving hated libertarians in highschool. It came to a head when my friend/lover started attending libertarian party meetings and abandoned me to bang a militia member.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 19, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skeletonotherkin posted:

For what its worth my liberal teenage self loving hated libertarians in highschool. It came to a head when my friend/lover started attending libertarian party meetings and abandoned me to bone a militia member.

lol owned

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ahundredbux posted:

I thought being aggressive and violent made you cool

um it does though?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

crowoutofcontext posted:

I started eschewing oceanic melding with the cosmos when I meant hippie-types that were 17 and stoned and said things like "grass screams when you step on it, trees actually think u just dont understand" and stuff like that, it TOOK THAT to make me act a scientific rationalist when I should just ignore it.

If a lion could speak, we would not understand him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I was a hardcore conservative until the beginning of high school. mostly because i believed in what my cool uncle told me. eventualy i turned ultra left, and now i moved into the jaded center.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Best Giraffe posted:

If a lion could speak, we would not understand him.

I thought it was a dog?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I thought it was a dog?

if you cant figure out what your dog is saying you're just not paying attention, also it's definitely lion unless you're thinking of a different quote

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

um it does though?

Yah man, just look at the dudes in my AV. Cool as all hell.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jlechem posted:

Conservatism

We all went a little weird in the years right after 9/11, I had a particularly bad case of neoconservatism that turned into an Ayn Rand/libertarian phase when the gop went hard ant-gay. Took two years of college to fix that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Libertarian op even after being warned about atlas shrugged being a bad book by my english teacher.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
George Bush was cool and so was 3rd edition d&d

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

that its ok to go down on a girl thats on her period.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh yeah I used to be I AM STRAIGHT EDGE as gently caress as a teen, now I loves me booze.

Though that was more cause my dad is an alcoholic :saddowns:

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

Clarify? I know lots of women who do activities with each other.

Women can be cutthroat and superficial in their friendships.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
that nothing tastes as good as thin feels

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

glowing-fish posted:

I am kind of surprised that these type of edgy, anti-social philosophies seem to be so popular here. I would have thought more people would have taken the hippie route. I wonder if this is representative of teenagers in general, or is just because of goons.
Eh the social Darwinism worldview mostly stems from people who grew up intellectually smarter than their peers but emotionally stunted compared to them. It's the maddox bag my groceries defense in response to feeling socially undervalued because you're operating at a different maturity than your peers, not a huge surprise it was common among goons. I think in college this often tends to go away cause you've had a chance to grow up a bit and so have your peers so people tend to be more accepting of you which makes you more accepting of them. The people I knew who stuck to those philosophies basically didn't mature at all in college and probably kept those worldviews to cope with their miserable social life.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Eh the social Darwinism worldview mostly stems from people who grew up intellectually smarter than their peers but emotionally stunted compared to them. It's the maddox bag my groceries defense in response to feeling socially undervalued because you're operating at a different maturity than your peers, not a huge surprise it was common among goons. I think in college this often tends to go away cause you've had a chance to grow up a bit and so have your peers so people tend to be more accepting of you which makes you more accepting of them. The people I knew who stuck to those philosophies basically didn't mature at all in college and probably kept those worldviews to cope with their miserable social life.

So I guess as a hippie-Christian with an overtly romantic and supernatural sense of things I was the opposite, emotionally advanced, intellectually stunted.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

crowoutofcontext posted:

So I guess as a hippie-Christian with an overtly romantic and supernatural sense of things I was the opposite, emotionally advanced, intellectually stunted.

I think that my first philosophical and spiritual revelation was a real thing, and represented a real state of emotional advancement But...I had to go through all the alienation and anger first. I was basically trying to sequence break my own developmental process, and found out that I still had years to go before reaching that point of completion.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

I think that my first philosophical and spiritual revelation was a real thing, and represented a real state of emotional advancement But...I had to go through all the alienation and anger first. I was basically trying to sequence break my own developmental process, and found out that I still had years to go before reaching that point of completion.

I experienced a few traumatic events before I was seven and have a foggy memory of it so I have no idea if my early teen spiritual experiences came from that but my angst phase was either premature or incredibly late and stretching thin. I count at least a few of my spiritual experiences as genuine but as soon I was trying to force it they were gone.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That asking someone for help is the biggest imposition you can burden someone with.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

vyst posted:

that its ok to go down on a girl thats on her period.

That's the coolest poo poo ever. Afterwards you look like a wolf that just tore apart its prey

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I used to think bitches were poo poo.

But indeed, bitches ain't poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zeno-25 posted:

We all went a little weird in the years right after 9/11, I had a particularly bad case of neoconservatism that turned into an Ayn Rand/libertarian phase when the gop went hard ant-gay. Took two years of college to fix that.
There was 9/11 and also my uncle who acted like he knows everything. Still does even after running his business into the ground and going bankrupt for $600k. Still doesn't like the safety net even though without it he'd probably be in debtor's prison.

Edit: Also he had his kids take out student loans to pay business expenses. This is what I think of every time Republicans start talking about fiscal responsibility.

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~
That everyone loves going to camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just spat vitriol at everyone in high school so they'd leave me alone. In retrospect, I think I actually had the right idea and dodged a bullet by not making a single connection, cause everyone there was in the 'white rapper' phase or some farmer hick.

• Locked thread