Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

I would like to find out if maybe there is such a thing as miracles. Are there any quantifiable examples of miracles?

If you want me to define what a miracle is I mean something happening that's actually impossible but still happened anyway

maybe some examples to consider:

the existence of reality *(either created out of nothing or had no beginning - entropy might make both of these impossible)

language - it still works even though we have no access to the intention of meaning behind word choices of the speaker

please don't focus too much on my examples I would like to see some cool links to possible miracles and stuff like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Nope. Glad to be of service!

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Nope. Glad to be of service!

Are you sure though?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

sex idiot posted:

Are you sure though?

Yup!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sex idiot posted:

Are you sure though?

Yep.

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

what makes you so sure?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

sex idiot posted:

what makes you so sure?

So far every time a statue cries blood or someone starts bleeding from their hands or anything that looks like a miracle, it's been debunked. After a while you start to see a pattern.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If something happens, it's by definition possible for it to happen.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am still on the fence. Can someone please give me a full write up on why miracles don't exist? Because honestly I was at the Cumby's this afternoon and someone left like 73 cents worth of gas left to pump and so I took it for myself. #blessed #miracleshappeneveryday

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Donald Trump is the Republican presidential nominee. Now, I don't know if that's exactly a miracle, but it at minimum proves the efficacy of black magic. :v:

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

Starshark posted:

So far every time a statue cries blood or someone starts bleeding from their hands or anything that looks like a miracle, it's been debunked. After a while you start to see a pattern.

I'm not asking about those kind of religiousy type ones though I mean just like well this guy makes a good point

Brainiac Five posted:

If something happens, it's by definition possible for it to happen.

but what about stuff that, whilst it has happened and is by definition possible, defies all current knowledge etc

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sex idiot posted:

but what about stuff that, whilst it has happened and is by definition possible, defies all current knowledge etc

I don't know, what about that stuff?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sex idiot posted:

You can describe such things as miraculous if you like. It's probably not going to catch on because people use the alternate definition of "sudden, seemingly benevolent random or coincidental events" and that has a bit of a monopoly. It's also a definition that renders all "miracles" singular events because any repetition no longer defies current knowledge etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

sex idiot posted:

Humanity are not arbiters of reality and we do not really create existence just by viewing it.

Certain astrophysical events or even events such as life's creation currently defy our understanding, and may possibly do for quite some time, but there is of no doubt that they do happen.

In a strict sense life from lifelessness may be the realm of 'miracles' but it is actually quantifiable and detectable, and more importantly, falsifiable (there are many systems that cannot sustain life, at all), so almost certainly has a definitive 'answer', we just don't really know what it is yet.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rainbows can't be explained by science and are the best example of a miracle. But also the fact that boiling water freezes faster than cold water.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nobody understands gravity.

It's deep, man.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Nobody understands gravity.

It's deep, man.

Gravity is what keeps Australians from falling off the earth. It's pretty well understood, I would say.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why would gravity want to stop Australians falling off the Earth? WHERE ARE YOUR ANSWERS NOW, SCIENCE?!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Every drop of rain that falls in Sahara Desert says it all,

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Every drop of rain that falls in Sahara Desert says it all,

Is this from some lame song or something?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Is this from some lame song or something?

All God's creations great and small, the Golden Gate and the Taj Mahal. Really its a miracle.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
OP your worm lady avatar is creeping me out, please change it

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone pray for a stupid thread?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

eatenmyeyes posted:

No, but I know there are Miracles because I can see a million stars above me at night.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As in does God intervene in the world with supernatural powers? No, because God does not exist and supernatural is a synonym for nonexistent.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

No, but I know there are Miracles because I can see a million stars above me at night.

Unless you live alone in the wilderness I very much doubt that. Light pollution is a terrible thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Unless you live alone in the wilderness I very much doubt that. Light pollution is a terrible thing.

I might have to move heaven and earth
To prove it to you, baby

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

I might have to move heaven and earth
To prove it to you, baby

Ok, but please call ahead first so I can be ready when you do.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Ok, but please call ahead first so I can be ready when you do.

There's enough miracles here to blow your brains ,I fed a fish to a pelican at Frisco bay

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I've seen miracles every way, and I see miracles everyday. Oceans spanning beyond my sight and a million stars above them at night. So many miracles, the magic miracles.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

eatenmyeyes posted:

I did but getting one is hardly a miracle. I basically just pray for stupid threads now out of politeness to God.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Even under the best conditions, you're only going to be able to see a couple thousand stars at once with your naked eye

Not really a whole lot, if you think about it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I seen a caterpillar turn into a butterfly Miracles aren't a thing to lie about people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wanamingo posted:

Even under the best conditions, you're only going to be able to see a couple thousand stars at once with your naked eye

Not really a whole lot, if you think about it.

I was being charitable and assuming he had a telescope with him, greatly increasing the number of potential stars seen.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

I was being charitable and assuming he had a telescope with him, greatly increasing the number of potential stars seen.

The wonders of the world, mysteries the most Just open your mind.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
When God decides to give you cancer that doesn't quite kill you

When God decides to have a truck run over your arm and rip it off instead of your head

When God decides to make you want to kill yourself but makes you too much of a pussy to use a gun so you try eating an entire bottle of tylenol and wake up in a hospital with a completely destroyed liver

When God decides to do anything that sucks less than the absolute maximum possible

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

When God decides to do anything that sucks less than the absolute maximum possible

When God decides to keep you alive even though that is definitely worse than being dead to you but much more preferable to your grandparents who don't really have to deal with whatever is horribly wrong with you but know deep in their hearts that it is all part of God's plan and don't have to emotionally deal with you being gone even though your life is torment

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has anyone said magnets yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

When God decides to give you cancer that doesn't quite kill you

When God decides to have a truck run over your arm and rip it off instead of your head

When God decides to make you want to kill yourself but makes you too much of a pussy to use a gun so you try eating an entire bottle of tylenol and wake up in a hospital with a completely destroyed liver

Those are all miracles because you got another chance. Be thankful. Also when I see The Milky Way and loving shooting stars are another miracle.

• Locked thread