Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

GBS, why am I so bad at Stellaris?

I'm always running out of energy, or spending 15 months saving up gems to build stuff and then when I have enough some rear end in a top hat aliens show up and everyone runs back to my homeworld. It's like yeah, I could do the research project to find out the aliens aren't even scary but then I can't build colony ships. Is this game bad or is it me (probably both)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Give the game a few months and patch time and youll be ok.

This thread however? Hoho.... Things arent looking so bright, friend.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

start in scotland and try to claim terkensenburg or whatever.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
maybe you lack the proper intelligence to do the thing you are describing. you are weak. you will be culled from the herd if you cannot tread water. you are the weak link. you are loving expendable.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I would suggest sucking as many dicks at once as possible to get the multitasking skills you need.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

the game is clearly broken and rigged

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

dad gay. so what posted:

maybe you lack the proper intelligence to do the thing you are describing. you are weak. you will be culled from the herd if you cannot tread water. you are the weak link. you are loving expendable.

This is exactly what my dad wrote in my birthday card last year...

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Marry your daughter to an alien to join your houses, then strip all power
from the church and live in a utopia.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Video games are for children

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Evil Agita posted:

Marry your daughter to an alien to join your houses, then strip all power
from the church and live in a utopia.

if crusader kings: alpha centauri existed I would buy it because buddy I am a huge homo

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Op, buy an avatar you poor gently caress. You too firstposter.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if crusader kings: alpha centauri existed I would buy it because buddy I am a huge homo

I was hoping Stellaris would be exactly this but instead it's generic space 4x the game. But I spent 40 bux on it so I drat well better play it.

EDIT:

Anderron Shi posted:

Op, buy an avatar you poor gently caress. You too firstposter.

I can't because I waste all my money on 4x games like a giant idiot.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
i downloaded it for free cos i am fiscally responsible, and its money that could be spent on drugs

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tectonis posted:

This is exactly what my dad wrote in my birthday card last year...

Dad Darwin, so what

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

i downloaded it for free cos i am fiscally responsible, and its money that could be spent on drugs

you should support the candy bar measuring weirdos who make these beautiful games, they need support to keep in boxed pasta and cherry keyswitches.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Hey don't feel bad friend, I can't fly jets in Battlefield 4 worth a gently caress

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

dad gay. so what posted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'll buy Stellaris and HoI IV in 3 years when there are patches and DLC.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
You bought it day one.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I'll buy Stellaris and HoI IV in 3 years when there are patches and DLC.

Same. Steam Summer sale 2019 here I come.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I wanted to like that game but it's boring as poo poo.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir_Charles posted:

I wanted to like that game but it's boring as poo poo.

This. So much this.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

You bought it day one.

I actually bought it like day 8 but I understand the spirit of your post.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tectonis posted:

I'm always running out of energy, or spending 15 months saving up gems to build stuff and then when I have enough some rear end in a top hat aliens show up and everyone runs back to my homeworld. It's like yeah, I could do the research project to find out the aliens aren't even scary but then I can't build colony ships. Is this game bad or is it me (probably both)?

I don't know what this is, what it means, or who you are.
Thanks.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Here is a little 'tip' for Stelerious

gently caress you

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
google "turtle trick" OP

thank me later

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tectonis posted:

Research solar collector modules, build it on your shipyard(s).

Upgrade your power plants ASAP, be sure to tech up to those and build them on any tile that generates power or is blank. If you have a positive food growth on a planet and it won't go in the red for food if you build something other than a farm on a food tile, go ahead and sacrifice food for more energy.

Always be surveying systems and be building any mining stations you can in your territory. Remember that every building that isn't a power plant and every station that isn't mining energy costs you a point of energy to maintain. So don't over expand if you don't have enough energy.

If you find a resource rich system outside your territory (especially energy), build a frontier outpost nearby and build your mines. Then dismantle the frontier outpost to get your influence back.

Don't worry about rear end in a top hat aliens unless they're from an actual civilization and at war with you. If they're space amoebas or silicates or whatever ignore the systems they are lurking in and survey/expand to somewhere else.

Researching rear end in a top hat aliens is fine even if it takes time from your colony ships because it's like 180 days to research whatever alien, tops.

Good luck OP.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 18, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I was gonna get this game (friend said it's good!) but now I hear it's bad.

Should I get it? I got Endless Space, and it was real bad. Endless Legend is pretty okay (some good, some bad, neat style, cool quests, boring as gently caress) but wow Endless Space just had none of the good parts. If this game turns out to be bad too it might turn me off these Space Games completely. I'm iffy about playing games without elves in them as it is.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I was gonna get this game (friend said it's good!) but now I hear it's bad.

Should I get it? I got Endless Space, and it was real bad. Endless Legend is pretty okay (some good, some bad, neat style, cool quests, boring as gently caress) but wow Endless Space just had none of the good parts. If this game turns out to be bad too it might turn me off these Space Games completely. I'm iffy about playing games without elves in them as it is.

Wait for a patch or two IMO. The patch planned changes sound really good and fix alot of problems.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the key is to go to the map, select a construction vehicle or science ship, and shift-rightclick on systems to mass-queue exploring/building out multiple systems without your micromanagement. you need to explore aggressively to find the resources you need and expand aggressively to get them inside your borders (but don't use border outposts unless you absolutely have to to keep a travel lane open, you'll need the influence for other things) and make sure you prioritize your early income building mines everywhere to get your minerals/energy credits rolling

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

When you meet aliens just rub your balls on them and when they act upset tell them that's just how it's done in your neck of the galaxy. Then when it catches on over there you can quit doing it and you will look like quite the superior species.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my favorite part of the game, and you don't even have to buy it to play.

http://stellarisspeciesgen.com/

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Also this game taught me that slavery is actually really cool and real good, and you get so much more done with it than without it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

whatup we're the dickheads

we're doing ok

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

you hardly even need all the food tiles to be farms even when a planets at max pop, especially once you got farms to level 3+ redevelop some of that poo poo into mines and powerplants

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Also this game taught me that slavery is actually really cool and real good, and you get so much more done with it than without it

:yeah:

Why bother colonizing and building infrastructure when you can just take over alien worlds, enslave their race, and use your money and influence to suppress any and all expressions of dissent?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I like Stellaris because it's cool and far more accessible than when I tried to play EU4. Lmao at the people who bitch "Goddamn it this game isn't autistic enough for me!"

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mine more minerals lolz

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

JiveHonky posted:

google "turtle trick" OP

thank me later

Which do I want? The first one is a bit scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Goatfather posted:

the key is to go to the map, select a construction vehicle or science ship, and shift-rightclick on systems to mass-queue exploring/building out multiple systems without your micromanagement.
yeah until they see some aliens on system 2 of however many and wig out, totally ruining your script.

• Locked thread