Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is a cult classic action role playing game created by Troika and released in 2004. Based on the Vampire the Masquerade table top game, we must find our way through the world as a fledgling vampire in modern society. There's a storm brewing among the clans of LA, and we're smack dab in the middle of it!
:iiam:

VTMB is one of my favorite games of all time. I didn't play it until a friend gifted me his copy a few years after it came out. I think I've even still got the disc somewhere! If you're interested in trying the game out for yourself, you can pick it up on GOG or Steam nowadays.

About the Playthrough
I've played through a couple of times in the past, once as a Toreador, and once as a Malkavian. That of course means that this won't be a blind LP, but I can't say I 100% remember where everything is either. We're going to be rolling up a Tremere vampire. I've never played the table top game, or even held one of the source books in my hands, but as I understand it, the Tremere are sort of seen as usurpers by other Kindred. The Tremere were once mages in the Dark Ages, but took vampirism for themselves through a ritual to maintain their immortality. They are also one of the youngest and most secretive clans in existence. That's the gist that I got from some brief research, but I'm sure somebody will know way more about the lore of the clans / universe than I do.

The game is fully voice acted, including some work from Bender John DiMaggio, but there's quite a lot of dialogue and some reading here and there. I'll be reading things aloud / paraphrasing my dialogue choices, so I'll apologize in advance if that bothers you - might not be the playthrough for you if that's the case.
:negative:

When the game was released it was riddled with bugs, but thanks to some die-hard fans there's the Unofficial Patch that has been in development for years. There are two versions of the patch - the vanilla one and the Plus version which moves some items around and restores some content. We're going to be using the latest Plus version (9.5 as of the time of this writing) for our playthrough.

Meet our intrepid hero, Bartholomue

Update Schedule
This LP is complete!

Thread Rules
You don't need to worry about spoiling things for me, but as a courtesy to people who are unfamiliar with the game make sure to tag spoilers for stuff that we haven't gotten to in a video yet.

Episodes
Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Graphically speaking VTMB still looks decent, and has some pretty solid facial animations to boot.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 18, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Also reserved.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Normally episodes will come out one at a time, but let's kick things off with 3 episodes so we can get past character creation / tutorial stuff and into the game for real!

Episode 1 - Suck On This
We create our character, talk about game mechanics briefly, and watch the intro cutscene.

Episode 2 - Jacked
Bender gives us some tips on surviving the coming nights as a vampire!

Episode 3 - Everything Is Fine
We finally arrive in Santa Monica and seek out our contact in the area, but there's a bit of a snag!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Siegkrow posted:

This game has soo many LPs. Ther'es at least 2 Archived [one of which had 2 runs], noth SSLP, and a number of incomplete runs, most of htem in video form.
I like the World of Darkness LP threads because the WoD goons tend to discuss the tabletops in them adn you find out so much cool poo poo.

Hopefully some of those people find this thread. I'm definitely interested in learning more about the universe, especially as it relates to the game!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I love this game, and these threads. :allears: I always roll Malk, because they are the best-est. But man it was a nightmare getting it to run in the first place.

Yeah, Malkavian is a super fun playthrough. I would have rolled one up again myself, but there are sooo many LP's with them on the ol' YouTube.

Tiggum posted:

Something weird's going on with th egame audio. Left and right channel seem to be slightly out of sync or something, because when a sound is coming from right in front of you and therefore playing through both it has this weird echo-y effect. It's really noticeable with some of the dialogue. I assume it's probably the game rather than something you've done, but if there's anything you can do to fix it that would be great.

Also, yes, that cop in the tutorial with all the dialogue options is definitely added by the mod. I'm pretty sure all those special dialogue options for the other NPCs were added as well even though the NPCs themselves were not.

I think it's the in game 3D audio effects. I'll see if I can find a way to tweak that because it's definitely kind of annoying.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Haha, thanks for this! I'm looking forward to learning some stuff about Vampire / World of Darkness.

Also, just a reminder - if any of you guys want to go deep and talk about stuff specific to the game just tag your spoilers until we get to it in a video.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Awwwww Yeaaaaah Redux Dos
We get a job and mack on some ladies...not necessarily in that order.

Edit: Note this link now points to a reuploaded version of the episode with a rerecorded club section due to a ContentID issue that came about from copyrighted music. I have replaced all licensed music in the game to avoid this issue in the future, and you can check the description of any video to find links to the tracks I've selected.

Edit 2: The link now points to a repuload of the reupload due to the original reupload getting deleted due an error that was definitely on the part of everyone but myself.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 28, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

Following the "do everything except progress the main storyline" protocol? Or is there some specific reason you're waiting to get the astrolite for Mercurio?

Honestly just playing sort of casually. I mean don't get me wrong, we'll advance the plot next episode probably, but I do love me some sidequests. There's just so much cool stuff in the game, and I'd hate to skip it!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

The song played in the club is Chiasm - Isolated in case anyone is curios. It fits quite well with the club.

Yeah the music is a good fit, but I really wish developers wouldn't license music. If there was any question as to whether or not my video got ContentID'd for a couple minutes of audio in a 30 minute video where the audio wasn't even the focus of the content, the answer is yes, long before it even went public.

Also, this will happen time and time again as we check out more clubs in the game. It's a point of frustration for me, as much as I love the game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys just a quick announcement - my mic stand broke. Unfortunately that means I probably won't be able to do any videos for the series for the next few days, but hopefully it'll be business as usual starting next week Monday.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
This discussion has been really interesting so far! It kind of makes me feel like the role of Humanity is downplayed a fair bit in VTMB as compared to the tabletop rules. I think I've frenzied once in all my time playing the game, even with histories that increase the possibility, and it wasn't a big deal. Though that was in a combat zone so maybe I just got lucky.

One of these days I'm going to have to get some of my D&D friends together so we can try some WoD stuff.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Stroth posted:

Just about everything is heavily simplified for the sake of streamlining gameplay. Not really a bad thing though.

Yeah, that's fair. Not everything from a tabletop experience will translate perfectly to a video game one.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

I've finished the game once and played up to the sewers another time and never even come close to frenzying, because there are just so many opportunities to gain humanity and you basically have to really gently caress up badly to lose it.

That's a good point. Unless you murder a bunch of innocents in this game I don't think there are a ton of opportunities to lose Humanity, but plenty to gain it as we've seen so far.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in to give you an update. I've got my mic stand situation fixed, but rather than have 1/3rd of my videos get ContentID'd due to licensed music I've decided to go through and replace all of those tracks with stuff that has a more forgiving license. I'm trying to keep things in the same spirit so hopefully nothing feels too out of place. Should be good to do more episodes in a couple days. Thanks to Nordick for letting me know the songs are just sitting in a folder in the install directory!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Beach Party
We follow up on Carson and go get ourselves some explosives.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Aw, you didn't use the seduction line to get in. :v:

Instant regret. :heysexy:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Vive la Freedom
We attempt to pull off a daring rescue or two, and have our first official boss fight!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Just so you guys are aware, I rerecorded the club section of episode 4 and did a reupload due to the ContentID issue. You're not missing anything by not watching it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I replaced all the licensed music in the game and you can check the YouTube description of any video to find links to the tracks I've selected.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - The Other Sister
We meet up with Jeanette's sister Therese who offers us a deal, and we return to the clinic to pull off a heist for some special blood.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

I'd just reload when I got caught like that. Also, I could have sworn that upstairs area was a combat zone and you could just kill that dude. Maybe it's different in the Plus version, or maybe I'm misremembering. You could certainly afford to just murder him and take the humanity hit since he's the only one up there.

Yeah, I think you're right. Oh well, I guess he gets to live!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Horror Hotel
We head out to the Ocean House Hotel to do a favor for Therese, but the resident evil spirit won't make it easy for us.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that really conveyed at all how effectively spooky that place is. And you missed the best bit because you didn't go down the corridor to the left from the entrance.

Aw, yeah I think I know what you're talking about now that you bring it up.

Nordick posted:

Obviously it's not as effective on the following playthroughs, but I like it.

It's a fun excursion, but having played through that part several times I guess I've become a little jaded, haha. Though it's hard for me to take this game seriously because it's so deliberately silly in some places, which I love.

Also, Grey has a pretty bangin credits list on IMDB.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 4, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Big Trouble in Lil' Asylum
We do a favor for Jeanette, but not all is well between the sisters of Asylum.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

I wonder what a rating 1 lockpick test is. A latch on the outside?

Probably. That or it was just stuck a little and not actually locked at all.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - It's If You Bought It
We do a favor for Knox and catch up with the beach bums.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

If we ever meet Mercurio when he is not on the couch, would he be untrustworthy then?

No, because then he'd be a stand up guy.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Explosive Moves
It's time for us to put that astrolite to good use!

Aw, poo poo. Now I'm on the NSA's watchlist.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Going up the stairs in the far building you can run out on top of the train cars. :v:

Doh...should have known!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Hub Cab
We move on to Downtown, our new quest hub, and check in with the prince as well as an important figure in our clan.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tommy_Blanco posted:

Thanks for doing a video lp of this Rojo. I think your last video might be kind of choppy though (it might just be my computer).

I'll take a look. Some choppiness is a possibility - I've noticed it on other videos once in awhile. I'm guessing it's a Shadowplay / Windows 10 thing. Not sure if there's a solution, but hopefully it isn't too super awful either way.

Nordick posted:

And you should still go report to Kilpatrick about the Muddy thing, just to get paid and I think a bit of XP.

Poil posted:

Yeah, you'll lose out on the payment if you advance the bounty hunt quest line at all after you learn that Muddy has left for Downtown, you're only paid to find out that. The game isn't very clear on it

Cool, I'll try to remember to do that!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

double nine posted:

God I love the "those of you in the first few rows..." line. Fourth wall who cares.

Yeah, that was great! I meant to comment on it, but I think I forgot after chatting with Nines.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tiggum posted:

Have you considered doing post commentary? It would help a lot with stuff like that, and the bits where you obviously know what you're looking for but it doesn't show up on cue, also stuff like the bit where you were wandering around looking for the Tremere hideout.

I generally don't do post commentary unless something has gone horribly wrong (i.e. forgot to hit record). That said, I'll probably do more generous editing if I lose my way in the future, just to keep things moving.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Esoteric Banana posted:

I absolutely love this game, but I can honestly say it is basically held together by thumbtacks and chewing gum. It is a wonderful, broken game. I've fallen through the world, clipped into walls and doors. Had enemies not spawn in the right locations, and plot important characters/cutscene triggers not show up. The game crashing to desktop (a lot) for seemingly no reason. And that one mostly fixed pre-patch bug where beating a certain boss immediately crashes the game.

Also this game lets you do ridiculous things to people.

Haha, nice! Those are some circus level balancing skills.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Last Round Anarchs
We have a chat with the Anarchs at the Last Round. We're only talking to NPC's for the whole episode, so I made it its own thing. I recommend at least staying until we're done talking to Nines.

Episode 14 - Sometimes You Gotta Vent
We have a chat with one of my favorite characters in the game and do a little stealth action to get some extra cash and a discount of sorts with an important vendor.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Church Blows
We do some wetwork for our Beat Priestess. Is phrasing still a thing?

Might want to take care if you're watching this one at work, though watching anything VTMB at work is probably a dangerous game regardless at a lot of offices.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 20, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Burning Sensation posted:

^ Audio seems a little off there, friend.

e: fixed.

Glad to hear it. I think it might seem a bit off in the beginning because my brain wasn't making my mouth say words that were temporally in sync with where I was walking.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Poil posted:

Ah, sorry. My advice was about the hospital basement in Downtown. Forgot to specify I meant the abandoned hospital. :doh: Of course I've no idea how changed that is now, I'm used to Fat Larry hanging behind the truck outside the parking garage.

Confession is the most awesome looking bar in the game yes. Music is ok, I guess.

Cool, we'll start to look into it in the episode I'm about to post. You can also send Patty to Vandal (might be a Plus Patch thing), though since we're already in his good graces via Dominate that option might be closed to us now.

As far as the licensed music goes, I like most of the replacements I put in, but it's definitely a bit of a bummer to lose the original tracks.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Reality TV
We take a look inside an abandoned building that we've walked by several times now and start to follow up on the Plague Bearer quest.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Maybe I'll bitch about the turnstile next time I pop in there if it's still an option. I didn't say anything about it initially because we're not going to be in there too much, but it's annoying for sure, haha. It took me a little by surprise - I didn't remember it being there in any of my other playthroughs with the Unofficial Patch, but figured maybe I was just being forgetful.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Nagarajas (oWOD's take on the pishacha)

Ahhhh that's what she is. Thanks!

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Skyline Scrutiny
There's a lot for us to see in Skyline Apartments, so we go through the place thoroughly. We also take care of something that I should have done a long, long time ago.

• Locked thread