Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

OperaMouse posted:

Colts' front office/medical staff for putting rookie Tyler Varga on IR/injury settlement after he refused to take some medicine he was prescribed by them, but a second opinion told him was quite dangerous.

Holy poo poo i forgot about this, seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OperaMouse posted:

Colts' front office/medical staff for putting rookie Tyler Varga on IR/injury settlement after he refused to take some medicine he was prescribed by them, but a second opinion told him was quite dangerous.

Here's the article and the meat: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/05/09/tyler-varga-and-concussion-lasted-4-months/84145580/

quote:

One morning the following week, Varga’s phone buzzed. It was a text message from one of the team doctors, instructing him to arrive at the facility at 2 p.m. that day to pick up some drugs to aid his recovery. “They’ll make you feel better,” he remembers the message saying. Varga hesitated.

“My first impulse reaction: What are the drugs? I’m not just taking things. I’m smarter than that.”

Varga said he spoke with a Colts team doctor — he won’t say who — and explained that he wasn’t going to take a drug he knew nothing about. The drug in question was Amantadine, which the doctor said, according to Varga, is commonly prescribed to players who’ve suffered a concussion. “You should definitely take it,” Varga remembers the doctor telling him. (The Colts do not discuss individual players’ injuries and declined to comment on the Varga situation.)

Varga said he wanted to know more. He reached out to a handful of doctors he knew from Yale and asked for advice.

“They got back to me within five minutes,” he says. “And all of them were like, ‘Don’t take that.’”

What Varga learned: Amantadine was developed to treat Parkinson's disease. Most concussion experts acknowledge the drug is sometimes used to treat concussionlike symptoms, but after hearing from his own doctors, Varga wanted nothing to do with it. The side effects were what scared him most.

“The worst case, they told me, were some psychotic reactions like schizophrenia,” he says. “And you just can’t stop taking it. You up the dosage until you’re symptom-free. That’s my understanding of it. It sounded pretty scary to me.”

So he called the Colts’ team doctor back, told him he wasn’t taking Amantadine and told him why.

“It sounds like you got some good advice,” Varga says the doctor told him. “You should go with your gut.”

So he did. And about 45 minutes later, Varga’s phone buzzed again. The Colts wanted to see him. They were putting him on injured reserve.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, Irsay has probably forgotten more about pills than those Yale docs have ever learned.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

OperaMouse posted:

Yeah.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

OperaMouse posted:

I'm glad you remember this, because I didn't.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Daily Fantasy Sports. They're getting shitcanned in a few states as they're being ruled as gambling, so I'm not sure they're still available to be in the running with the rule about legal action disqualifying them, or maybe being too tangential to football. I wouldn't lose any sleep over them being disqualified from the tournament, but drat if that poo poo's just douchey.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

aperion posted:

Daily Fantasy Sports. They're getting shitcanned in a few states as they're being ruled as gambling, so I'm not sure they're still available to be in the running with the rule about legal action disqualifying them, or maybe being too tangential to football. I wouldn't lose any sleep over them being disqualified from the tournament, but drat if that poo poo's just douchey.

Seconded. DFS is terrible.

Also Greg Hardy for being an unbelievable douche.

And Johnny Manziel for somehow being constantly covered in the news. We get it already, he's a massive failure and still doesn't get it or want to seek help.

Beefed Owl fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 24, 2016

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
DFS would fit just for hiring a bunch of randos to occupy the protests. Literally no one gave a poo poo about the ban except for the employees because of their internal loopholes.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

I'd like to nominate Draft Kings and Fan Duel for making GBS threads up the first half of the football season with their lovely ads that played every 20 seconds.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

Can't be nominated, he got indicted for actual crimes, which makes him ineligible.

He can be nominated for everything up to the domestic violence, and he'd probably still make the finals.

edit:

OP, I appreciate the Star Trek reference in the thread title.

gently caress the h8ers

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 23, 2016

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Chilichimp posted:

He can be nominated for everything up to the domestic violence, and he'd probably still make the finals.

I'll allow it, but I will be really, really careful with the vote tallying. Mentions of his arrest/time in court will automatically make the vote count for just one. He did a lot of awful poo poo outside of the arrest and domestic violence.

aperion posted:

I'll allow it.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Quoting myself from the OP of the douche nomination thread, lending credence to the off season thread

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Douche list
Geno Smith: He got sucker punched in the face by teammate IK Enemkpali for dodging a charity event and leaving IK out $600
Aldon Smith: DUI
IK Ememlpali: Sucker punching a teammate over $600
Mike Silva: Twitter Douche
Jameis Winston: HoF consideration
Florida State University: HoF Consideration
Tom Brady: DEFLATEGATE FALLOUT
Darren Rovell: Will inevitably say something awful on twitter
Baylor: Rape shield!
Art Briles:Coach Rape Shield!
Tim Beckman: Covering up injuries for FOOBAW
James Franklin: Sore Loser
Jed York: A terrible owner (RIP 49ers)
Ryan Tannehill: poo poo talking the practice squad that owned him
Victor Cruz: 200 side chicks?
Greg Hardy: Going in guns blazing! (early favorite?)
Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch: 2 fast 2 furious
Al Golden: poo poo coach
Ryan Mallett: Missed the plane, now unemployed
Clay Travis: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/mizzou-protest-is-total-charade-110915

Leperflesh- nominate any not in the spreadsheet, second those already in it.

Quick suggestion for your spreadsheet, instead of listing who seconded the nominations, just keep a tally of how many people second it. This will be important for seeding.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm not even sure who to nominate but the NFL trying to strongarm the NIH into letting them do their own concussion study as propaganda surely has someone worthwhile.

Maybe Dr. Richard Ellenbogen.

quote:

The investigation also concluded that the co-chairman of the NFL’s committee on brain injuries, Dr. Richard Ellenbogen, acted as one of the league’s “primary advocates” opposing Stern. Ellenbogen had also applied to lead the study in question, but was passed over by the NIH in favor of Stern.

Or we could do Elliot Pellman again.

quote:

On June 17, Dr. Elliot Pellman, the NFL medical director who once ran the league’s discredited concussion research program, emailed Dr. Maria Freire, FNIH executive director, to say the NFL had “significant concerns re BU and their ability to be unbiased and collaborative.” He asked Freire to “slow down the process until we all have a chance to speak and figure this out.”

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I'd like to Nominate Demontre Moore. We kinda forgot about him but he spent his few games with us this season extending drives by racking up roughing the passer calls because he's a dipshit and then he got cut because he attacked another player over some headphones.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flikken posted:

I think this is the Year that Tom Brady wins it all.

I assumed this is a Second, since you bolded it. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Was this intended to be a Second for Colts front office/medical staff?

Took this to be a Second. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Chichevache posted:

I'm glad you remember this, because I didn't.

Are you glad enough that you want to Second it?

Zurreco posted:

DFS would fit just for hiring a bunch of randos to occupy the protests. Literally no one gave a poo poo about the ban except for the employees because of their internal loopholes.

So, does this mean you want to Second Daily Fantasy Sports?

Leperflesh- nominate any not in the spreadsheet, second those already in it.

Quick suggestion for your spreadsheet, instead of listing who seconded the nominations, just keep a tally of how many people second it. This will be important for seeding.

I like having the names for auditability purposes - anyone can check and see if a nomination or second that they made was recorded correctly. But I can easily add a column for number of seconds, which I can automatically calculate since the seconds are a comma-delimited list.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not even sure who to nominate but the NFL trying to strongarm the NIH into letting them do their own concussion study as propaganda surely has someone worthwhile.

Maybe Dr. Richard Ellenbogen.

Or we could do Elliot Pellman again.

I assumed since you bolded Ellenbogen that you only wanted me to add him, and not Pellman. Please clarify if you want a second or separate nomination for Pellman.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I'll use promo code SECONDFORDFS.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll second DFS / Draft Kings / Fan Duel (they should really all be the same category).

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'll second DFS / Draft Kings / Fan Duel (they should really all be the same category).

They shall be combined to be called Totally Not Gambling and will be classified as a wildcard.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone nom the chargers owner for trying to move the team and being a huge dick to the city?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Aaron Moorhead for Tweeting his way out of a top prospect at A&M.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I nominate Fox Sports One

For hiring Cowherd and Bayless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They shall be combined to be called Totally Not Gambling and will be classified as a wildcard.

Merged.

effectual posted:

Did anyone nom the chargers owner for trying to move the team and being a huge dick to the city?

Dean Spanos has been nominated, but his father, Alex Spanos, has not. Dean is president and CEO, but Alex is the majority owner.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

seiferguy posted:

I nominate Fox Sports One

For hiring Cowherd and Bayless.

We have this topic covered with Jamie Horowitz

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

Dean Spanos has been nominated, but his father, Alex Spanos, has not. Dean is president and CEO, but Alex is the majority owner.

Alex Spanos hasn't had anything to do with the team in years and has Alzheimers, so that's why

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I'm a big dumb stupid who can't read rules so I bolded my post near the top of this page.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
drat let's make this more smug and officious, with more rules

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Cheep Kellyfor basically trashing all of the good players on his (former) team because he didnt like them

Also maybe racist...

And being a douche for promising an epic ride which was ended up like a roller coaster in quicksand.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Rex Ryan for being a thin-skinned baby and barring the media from reporting on interceptions and dropped passes in OTAs. Also, opening for a Trump rally.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Ryan is less of a douche and more of a big dumb clown who has no business being a head coach anymore.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

fsif posted:

Rex Ryan for being a thin-skinned baby and barring the media from reporting on interceptions and dropped passes in OTAs. Also, opening for a Trump rally.

I second this nomination. Ryan may not win, but his douchery deserves comment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All caught up again. As a reminder, here's a link to the spreadsheet. It's a good place to see if there's anyone you should second. Right now most entries have no seconds.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I'm a big dumb stupid who can't read rules so I bolded my post near the top of this page.

I already had you covered, but thank you for your diligence. :)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leperflesh posted:

All caught up again. As a reminder, here's a link to the spreadsheet. It's a good place to see if there's anyone you should second. Right now most entries have no seconds.

I already had you covered, but thank you for your diligence. :)

I second Joey Porter, Ryan Shazier, Penn State Fans, and Patriots Fans

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Thirding Joey Porter.

Nominating the acting chops of Antonio Brown as well. :smugdog:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
How many seeds do we need? 32? I can't think of enough egregious stuff from this season to pad the count without getting petty.

Mike McCarthy for calling Eddie Lacy fat.

London for making me wake up super early just to watch bad teams flop all over each other. Just settle for EFL, drat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i nominate a little child

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I nominate Cam Newton for getting white folk all mad and then blowing the Super Bowl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would like to either second Tom Brady, or simply go with Pats fans for trying to sue to get the draft pick back and also for this comedy gold:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761497&pagenumber=44&perpage=40#post460263379

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i nominate a little child

Specifically the little child traumatized by cam

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Stephen A. Smith has a lifetime achievement award with his name on it. Last year was clearly peak douchebag as nothing really topped telling women to stop provoking men to beat them, or defending his support of noted domestic abuser Floyd Mayweather.

However, here's what I pulled from this year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Peyton for trying to sweep his hgh and teabagging stuff under the rug and plugging budweiser after his defense gifted him the trophy, etc.

• Locked thread