Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Opens in North America on May 27th, so use spoiler tags!

The X-Men movies have a spotty record but after Bryan Singer's triumphant return with X-Men: Days of Future Past I had good expectations for this movie, but the early reviewers didn't like it and I understand how they felt. Bad costumes, lazy dialogue, and unimpressive fights. It's not remarkably good like Deadpool nor remarkably bad like Batman v Superman, it's just unremarkable. This is a movie that fans will probably forget in a few years. Jennifer Lawrence looks bored with her role and she's probably in it to fulfill a contractual obligation. Two thirds of the way into the film I was looking at my watch, begging it to end already.

First thing I'll comment on is the characterization. You'd think that a master telepath like Xavier would have human nature down pat, but he has all the charm and persuasive power of a wax figure. Even if he can't read a specific person's mind, his general understanding of human psychology should be strong enough that he could anticipate anyone's behavior and talk them out of it. Magneto decides to become a terrorist again after his family is killed in the dumbest way imaginable (this scene is the point when I realized the movie would suck the rest of the way). But the worst thing they did to Magneto is make him Apocalypse's bitch. Magneto is too strong-willed and domineering to submit to another mutant, unless he's biding his time until he can backstab said mutant.

The fight scenes are terrible. In a superhero movie this is a capital offense. And the Beast's action scenes are the worst of all. Seeing him try to run on all fours was cringe-worthy, as was his wire-fu leaping. They really should have gone the CGI route. Marvel Studios has a great-looking Hulk. A great-looking Beast shouldn't be a lot more difficult. Angel's scenes are also a little silly. Winged men may look OK in static illustrations but when you put them in motion they just flop.

Wolverine is completely pointless in this film. What's really bad is that the plot takes a big and pointless detour just to have Hugh Jackman show up for less than one minute and stab people, because Fox believes you can't have an X-Men film without at least a brief Wolverine appearance.

But... there also good parts to it. It's hard for to explain without spoilers.

Xavier has one of the best Xavier moments ever when he alters Apocalypse's message to say "those with power, protect those who have none". It's just brilliant. Xavier is humane and compassionate and is willing to defy a god for that.

Quicksilver has a scene that apes the jailbreak one from DoFP, and it's just great. Except it doesn't service the plot in any way. It was shoehorned in just to showcase Quicksilver's powers again.

Caliban is wonderfully creepy.

There is a scene where an evil mutant telekinetically crumples somebody into a ball.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
These movies have the best version of quicksilver.

Now they have to beat the dreaded finale to the trilogy that has haunted so many other movies. Can they do it right?

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Most accurate thread title ever.

First 2/3rds were a plateau of dull mediocrity, final 3rd felt like a totally different film, but it was too contrived. There were no twists or misdirection - what you see in the trailers is what you get on film. The story was so-so, nothing more than a linear plot (at least deadpool acknowledged it had this and shuffled it around a bit to make it more interesting).
I don't think it suffers from "too many characters", it just doesn't make us care about most of them enough.

Pros:
*QS at the mansion (he saved the frenchie, yay!) Is that even a spoiler? Pfft, just in case.
*Nightcrawler - was super worried they'd gently caress him up, but they used him a whole lot & I was pleasantly surprised "on the count of 3: 1... 2... [runs out of fingers to count]... uhh" Lol :D
*BERSERKER RAGE!!!
*That after credits scene - [***I won't spoil the name***] was my favourite villain when I watched the cartoons is it the precursor to getting Cable into the next deadpool film??? Squeee!! Sorry... I was fangirling out in the cinema over the name recognition :(
*Cyclops - more mature than the whiny idiot from the original trilogy
*The uniforms they end up wearing (spoiled already by that dubsmash video, thanks guys!)

Cons:
*Dull, predictable story, monotonous tone throughout. It was just a huge emo-flashback for Magneto, "remember that time when we had X conversation [flashback to DoFP], or that time when... [flashback to FC]" >.< We get it, he has pain and rage. We hadn't forgotten that from the last 2 films, or the fist 15 times you said it.
*Psylocke was hyped up to be an awesome fighting character before the film; terribly underused, underdeveloped, just plan meh
*Angel - such a waste of a character again.
*Mystique - just looked bored all the way through, no wonder she was hardly blue for most of it. Would've been better just having her transform into Peter Dinklage & letting him read her lines.
*Agree with the OP - magneto wouldn't be anyone's bitch
*Apocalypse's powers are all over the show, they're not really defined as "he can specifically do X and Y", but he can do powerful stuff at random when he remembers he can do it.
*QS at the mansion - totally the wrong song choice; just felt like they knew they had to 1-up DoFP.
*"Hey look, they went to see return of the jedi and this one dude has a mullet!" How else would we know it was set in the 80s?
*How many people died at the end? Did anyone care?

A very generous 7/10, the extra point is thanks to the dude with a briefcase at the end. I didn't hate it, but it's the weakest of the 3 new-ones, and it's still a better love story than twilight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

*Mystique - just looked bored all the way through, no wonder she was hardly blue for most of it. Would've been better just having her transform into Peter Dinklage & letting him read her lines.

I would love an X-Men movie where Mystique just went around as Peter Dinklage the entire time and nobody commented on it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

pretty good to be honest. Didn't like it as much as I liked DoFP on first viewing but DoFP annoyed me a lot the second time I watched it (the Rogue Cut, which was poo poo) so I dunno. Second half went pretty generic and Oscar Isaac was wasted on playing Ivan Ooze 2016 Edition, but I thought the acting was good enough throughout to carry a lot of annoyances - not sure how Fassbender managed to pull off the mind-bogglingly stupid scenes with his family but he managed. Jennifer Lawrence was an order of magnitude less annoying than she was in the last one, so that was good, if not a high bar to set.

Really though, who makes a superhero movie in 2016 and makes the villain look and act like Ivan Ooze. Nobody wants to remember that

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
Psylocke was such a waste. They turned her into a jedi in a swimsuit.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So this film is pretty mediocre. I cant say I didnt enjoy it, but when I walked out of the cinema I had a list of problems which kept growing the more I thought about it. I think one of the films biggest problems is that it really suffers for having been released so close to Captain Avengers which is a far far better film. With Dialog that seemed very melodramatic and some seriously ropy action sequences, this film just cant compare to the quality of the main Marvel cinematic universe films. Its a crying shame considering how much I enjoyed First Class and DoFP. One other issue I had was with Sophie Turner. I am becoming increasingly convinced that she is something of a one note actor, although it could just be that I was having trouble removing her from her role as Sansa on GoT. Either way I don't think she did an especially good job in this film.

Solvalou posted:

Psylocke was such a waste. They turned her into a jedi in a swimsuit.

I kept thinking to myself, is this because Olivia Munn is bad or because the writing did nothing for her...

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I think the writers just don't give a poo poo about Psylocke. I don't actually know Psylocke well either, because I'm not into X-Men comics, but I can tell that all the director wanted was a cheesecake ninja bitch running around.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kurzon posted:

I think the writers just don't give a poo poo about Psylocke. I don't actually know Psylocke well either, because I'm not into X-Men comics, but I can tell that all the director wanted was a cheesecake ninja bitch running around.

No that sounds like they were perfectly attempting to convey the character of Psylocke.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

FiftySeven posted:

I cant say I didnt enjoy it, but when I walked out of the cinema I had a list of problems which kept growing the more I thought about it.
A simpler phenomenon happened to me with Batman v Superman: I hated it the more I thought about it. But I think history will be kinder to this film than to BvS.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I liked this movie. CGI was bad and brown and they wasted Oscar Isaac but all the X-men stuff I expected and wanted I got: Erik and Charles looking longingly into each others eyes, a funny jab at X3, Quicksilver is still great and there was what I thought was a cool set-up for a redo of the Dark Phoenix stuff.

Beyond the dreary CG and dumb fights there were still well-played characters who I cared about talking about meaningful things and I felt the serious tone built a lot of tension. But then I thought DoFP, Deadpool and Civil War were really mediocre so probably don't trust my opinion as it seems to veer wildly from the consensus on super hero movies.

Looks like First Class will probably be the best X-men we ever get and I'm ok with that. Still would like a Magneto film though.

Edit: Also, I really enjoy the commitment to continuity in these "new generation" X-men films and that they have been set in the 60's, 70's and 80's; just lots of nice little details in each of the new films.

Chuf fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 19, 2016

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

SpecialF posted:

*Apocalypse's powers are all over the show, they're not really defined as "he can specifically do X and Y", but he can do powerful stuff at random when he remembers he can do it.

To be fair that’s how his powers seemed to work in the comics. I think he was supposed to have some sort of shapeshifting powers or something, but mostly I just remember him using super-alien-technology to do whatever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

biggest disappointment: when Storm remembers she's good at the end and blasts Apocalypse's shield, she doesn't say "do you know what happens to a god when it gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How are people watching this already? I thought it comes out in 10 days?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Apocalypse's powers need to be narrowed down to just a few that are reasonably well-defined. This is what they did with Green Lantern. In the old days, Green Lanterns could pretty much do anything (except heal injuries, apparently) but then they narrowed it down to flight and constructs (and a handful of minor abilities that don't mean much in a fight). What are Apocalypse's most iconic powers?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 19, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

How are people watching this already? I thought it comes out in 10 days?

Tentpoles come out in America last nowadays.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kurzon posted:

Apocalypse's powers need to be narrowed down to just a few that are reasonably well-defined. This is what they did with Green Lantern. In the old days, Green Lanterns could pretty much do anything (except heal injuries, apparently) but then they narrowed it down to flight and constructs (and a handful of minor abilities that don't mean much in a fight). What are Apocalypse's most iconic powers?

His power is that he is a living god.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Tentpoles come out in America last nowadays.
Why is this the case?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kurzon posted:

Why is this the case?

Other markets are seen as far more likely to pirate it, so open in them first and suck up the largest first week total you can. America will still be there when you open.

Wik
Mar 5, 2010
Its an interesting concept I hope they do well

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, I saw it yesterday in England, it premiered at 12.01 in the morning (but obviously I didn't see that showing). It was okay, I hope Quicksilver is still playing a young man living in his momma's basesment in 20 years time. I think my complaints are mostly the same as everyone else's - Magneto's family's exit was pant on head retarded, I don't know how that made it to the final edit. The scale of destruction was over the top, although I like that only the most evil of villains would be a fan of nuclear disarmament. Take that, lefties!

I didn't stay for the after-credits scene, maybe that was good though.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Boogaleeboo posted:

Other markets are seen as far more likely to pirate it, so open in them first and suck up the largest first week total you can. America will still be there when you open.
So we Frenchies are more prone to piracy than Americans?

Squalitude posted:

I didn't stay for the after-credits scene, maybe that was good though.
A bunch of guys from "Essex Corp." recover a sample of Logan's blood from Stryker's base. This means we'll see Mr Sinister aka Apocalypse Lite in the next movie.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 19, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is this still another movei without gambit in it

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Kurzon posted:

I think it's easier to pirately-record film in the US than the rest of the world. We watched the 2nd showing and had staff come in 3 times too look around with their little night-vision spy scope (in the UK). All they did was tell us off for putting our feet on the seats :(

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kurzon posted:

It's time for the Fox X-Men movie line to die. Please oh please die.

Brilliant. So after the excellent First Class and DoFP and the awesome Deadpool, we get one somewhat mediocre film which is bound to be a box office success as well and you're all OH GOD LET THIS FRANCHISE DIE IT NEEDS TO DIE, fantastic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SpecialF posted:

We watched the 2nd showing and had staff come in 3 times too look around with their little night-vision spy scope (in the UK)

Holy poo poo that is pathetic.

Also Canadians pirate like a motherfucker, so why do we have to wait?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Did they waste Jubilee too

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kurzon posted:

What are Apocalypse's most iconic powers?

Going down like a bitch in X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kurzon posted:

No, but the former Eastern bloc countries very much are, and I guess they figure "if we're opening it in one part of Europe, let's do them all."

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Good stuff: Fassbender forest scene; Slice of life at Xavier's school for the gifted; Quicksilver scene 2.0 + school getting blown up; Apocalypse backstory; Apocalypse collecting his four horsemen; how everyone got to show their powers (cept Jubilee. lol)

Bad stuff: Not everyone got character development; End fight rushed and Phoenix reveal, while cool, was too phoned in; Jennifer Lawrence; Wolverine predictable and forced; What exactly was the point for bringing back Moira McTaggart?

I want to say this was a better movie than Captain America, but I need some time to reflect on this one. Fassbender did really well given the material, looking forward to Assassin's Creed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lady Galaga posted:

Bad stuff: What exactly was the point for bringing back Moira McTaggart?

I would imagine they're gonna be going deeper into the Hellfire Club stuff soon. They set it up all the way back in First Class, but never really dove back into it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I seem to have a completely different opinion to the thread as I loved this movie I'd even go as far as saying it's my second favourite X-men movie (after X-men 2 and not counting the wolverine films).

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I would imagine they're gonna be going deeper into the Hellfire Club stuff soon. They set it up all the way back in First Class, but never really dove back into it.
But they're all dead.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I seem to have a completely different opinion to the thread as I loved this movie I'd even go as far as saying it's my second favourite X-men movie (after X-men 2 and not counting the wolverine films).
That's fine. It was not a total disaster and there is stuff to like.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 20, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did they waste Jubilee too

Kind of. Her role is bigger than a cameo, but not much so. She doesn't use her powers and I don't think they say her name once.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hmmm. This film was pretty bad.

The first act covering the rise of Apocalypse was pretty strong, but the film came off the rails so violently halfway through, it was just a mess of pointless subplots and ~~worldbuilding~~ for the X-Men Cinematic Universe. Why does Moira come back and do absolutely nothing? Why does the film spend half an hour completely ignoring the main plot for entirely inconsequential Weapon X hijinks? The film spends so much time spinning its wheels in the middle that no one outside of Magneto has anything close to a character arc: First Class and DoFP both had strong emotional climaxes drawn from the conflict between Xavier, Magneto and Mystique but in this the new X Men had so little screen time and did so little of consequence that Jean instagibbing Apocalypse felt completely unearnt and felt more like crude sequel building material than any resolution to the conflict in the film. Also Magneto, under no duress or compulsion, halfway destroying the entirety of human civilisation and then flipping back to the good guys without any consequence was intensely bad writing, I really don't know why they didn't just let him die redeeming himself heroically, isn't Fassbender pretty tepid on the role anyway?

I don't get the complaints about the visuals though, the setpieces were the one area the film delivered in spades. Quicksilver evacuating the Xavier mansion mid-explosion was fantastic, Xavier's 'THAT'S IT. I'M MAD AS HECK, I'M GONNA HAVE AN ACTION SCENE. I'M GONNA DO IT!!' before getting immediately owned was hilarious, the Four Horsemen were really the only letdown and their action scenes felt pretty perfunctionary next to the all-out battle with Apocalypse which aside from the Phoenix Ex Machina ending was pretty well put together with everyone working together and attacking him from different angles. I do wonder the Phoenix ending was a studio mandated addition because everyone working together to gradually overwhelm him would have been a far more satisfying resolution than it clearly being 95% Jean and 5% everyone else as it was. Apocalypse was pretty good in general though, he was equal parts an awe-inspiring messiah and a vengeful, smirking tyrant and Oscar Isaac played him with a ton of charisma, just a shame he was wasted in such a garbled and unfocused script.

Overall this felt more like the building blocks for the next however many sequels Fox are going push out than the conclusion to the otherwise fantastic prequel trilogy. Whatever happened to the political conflict between Xavier's reformist liberalism and Magneto's millitant ethnic supremacy? Does anyone writing these even care anymore?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's pretty silly to me that Psylocke Munn is a Horseman and Magneto would ally with such a fucker. Would have been such a prime time to use someone new and ridiculous, like Omega Red or loving Holocaust.

At least the end credits scene gives a decent chance that we'll see Sinister in the future, which is encouraging given that Bryan Cranston of all people has said it's his dream role for a comic book movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kurzon posted:

But they're all dead.

This is X-Men, the afterlife practically has a revolving door.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Got nothing to add about the quality of the film that hasn't already been said I just wanted to say I found it hilarious that they had to give a plot explanation to Professor X going bald instead of just letting it be male pattern baldness

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Or maybe Xavier just decided the bald look really suited him and he just shaves his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kurzon posted:

Psylocke is a bit of a relic from the 90s where character design and cool-looking powers took priority over character development and story.

It's why Carnage was dead for like ten years in the comics (this is an eternity in Marvel) and now that he's back Marvel just treats him like an in-joke (they recently had a Carnage/Deadpool series which was actually pretty good for that reason).

• Locked thread