Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
There's a bit in the Quicksilver scene in the school that bugs me. You know the bit where the floor is rising and breaking apart under the pressure of the explosion beneath? Well, we see several students standing on that rising mound just before Quicksilver removes them. That mound isn't rising slowly, but at extreme speed. Those students' legs should have been crumpling before our eyes.

It's unforgivable. Worst movie ever. Fire Bryan Singer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Every single person Quicksilver moves should be dead, their bodies turned into pulp by the acceleration.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speed For- poo poo, wrong universe.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Justin Godscock posted:

Psylocke is a bit of a relic from the 90s where character design and cool-looking powers took priority over character development and story.

It's why Carnage was dead for like ten years in the comics (this is an eternity in Marvel) and now that he's back Marvel just treats him like an in-joke (they recently had a Carnage/Deadpool series which was actually pretty good for that reason).

Was Carnage's character ever anything more than "venom, but crazier"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Angrymantium posted:

Was Carnage's character ever anything more than "venom, but crazier"

Basically no, but not for lack of trying.

There was a very brief period in the mid-90s where "so edgy serial killer psycho" type characters were marketed as anti-heroes. Hence Carnage and the Joker briefly having their own series, but because of one-noteness of the concept they didn't really go anywhere like how a few years earlier there was the Venom: Lethal Protector mini-series that lead into what was going to be a huge ongoing Venom series.

The only other background about Carnage is that the guy hosting him is a serial killer with, uh, pancreatic cancer? Some kind of stage-terminal cancer the symbiote keeps in check. Any time they try to give characters like this an extended amount of spotlight center stage they never actually expand on them other than "Wow they're killing this person SO HARD while delivering quips, but, uh, the person they're killing is bad also so..."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

doverhog posted:

Every single person Quicksilver moves should be dead, their bodies turned into pulp by the acceleration.

It was a bit odd that they actually acknowledged this in the movie when he held the back of Jean Gray's head so she didn't get whiplash when he's moving her at superspeed but every other time he moved people he just grabbed them and shoved them

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

doverhog posted:

He should be able to one-shot the Hulk as well (Avengers Quicksilver anyhow; the Juggernaut in this case I suppose?). Acceleration is functionally equivalent to additional mass, the ratio being a well known little equation.

Like they always show speedsters throwing flurries of super-fast punches that aren't themselves much stronger than an ordinary punch. Once you get anywhere close to relativistic speeds, it should be one punch that can tear through Superman like his Kryptonian physique is wet paper mache. Supersonic speeds would suffice for the Hulkster.

For more or less ordinary people, it should be less "pulp" and more "a fine organic mist."

e: as powerful as Magneto is, he would also be exponentially more powerful if he used his ability to, say, gently caress with the electron configuration of non-metallic materials or electrical fields in general. I mean, superhero physics break all sorts of rules, but ferromagnets attracting is like, the absolute tip of the iceberg when it comes to electromagnetism.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 24, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Does Xavier know there is a God and that heaven in real? Because for all the deaths, he sure doesn't seem to care all that much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nimby posted:

Does Xavier know there is a God and that heaven in real? Because for all the deaths, he sure doesn't seem to care all that much.

Heaven In For Real is part of the X-Men Cinematic Universe

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One of the things I always appreciated over the various movies was that no matter what, it was Rebecca Romjin that Wolverine had a thing for, and they seemed to have real chemistry. Makes me sick when they try to pair him with these 19 year old kids.

Ignoring the third movie that was poo poo garbage, the love triangle between Wolverine, Jean Grey and Cyclops was handled almost perfectly. Cyclops and Wolverine not getting along with each other and being essentially complete opposites worked well.

There was also a scene in the second movie where Mystique is attempting to seduce Wolverine and morphs into Jean Grey because he's obviously obsessed with her. Rebecca Romijn isn't as good of an actress as Jennifer Lawrence but I liked the hosed up somewhat psychotic Mystique they had in those movies better than her character First Class/DoFP.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Also I know the the nude w/ full body makeup is a huge pain but it looks waaaay better than the bodysuit thing they have for Jennifer Laurence. But the recent X-Movies in general are weirdly cheap looking at times for what I assume are flicks with pretty decent budgets. Does the $$$ get eaten up because of the number of now big stars they have to get scheduled together for them or something (not that X-Men 2 had a cast of nobodies or anything).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

But the recent X-Movies in general are weirdly cheap looking at times for what I assume are flicks with pretty decent budgets. Does the $$$ get eaten up because of the number of now big stars they have to get scheduled together for them or something (not that X-Men 2 had a cast of nobodies or anything).

For me this is because of all the new young faces. The young cast members sometimes look like something out of a monster of the week tv series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I know the the nude w/ full body makeup is a huge pain but it looks waaaay better than the bodysuit thing they have for Jennifer Laurence. But the recent X-Movies in general are weirdly cheap looking at times for what I assume are flicks with pretty decent budgets. Does the $$$ get eaten up because of the number of now big stars they have to get scheduled together for them or something (not that X-Men 2 had a cast of nobodies or anything).

Just the costuming in general looks cheap as hell, which I think is a big factor. Seeing how effective modernizing an old design in the comics can be makes me wonder why they don't do it in the films more often. All the horsemen look like they stepped straight off the set of Blade 2.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nimby posted:

For me this is because of all the new young faces. The young cast members sometimes look like something out of a monster of the week tv series.

X-Men evolution had a young cast too and, though it started out like that it is the best X-Men adaptation other than maybe X-2.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Slightly related: outside of some establishing shots, they all look like they take place in the same time period because everyone has access to super technology. Cerebro looks the same in the 80s as it does in the 2000s and the same in a movie from 2000 and one from 2016. I'm not getting a sense of progression in style or functionality from anything that goes on in Mutant Parallel Society. I dunno maybe Forge is secretly building all this poo poo and he's got no taste.

Actually come to think of it, they're going about this series all wrong. If you set each movie in a specific decade, you should have plots and characters that mirror the comics from that period. Sure if they did that we'd now all be loving dreading the next one, but it could be fun.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So how did Cyke, Jean and Kurt escape the helicopter once it landed? They set it up like they completely screwed themselves over, but somehow they made it out?

Also the Quicksilver scene is a really obvious case of them listening to people talking about DoFP and giving them more of what they liked. Can't blame them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 25, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mierenneuker posted:

So how did Cyke, Jean and Kurt escape the helicopter once it landed? They set it up like they completely screwed themselves over, but somehow they made it out?

Also the Quicksilver scene is a really obvious case of them listening to people talking about DoFP and giving them more of what they liked. Can't blame them.

Also the other Quicksilver scene is a really obvious case of them listening to people talking about DoFP and then showing why he can't just defeat the bad guy by himself

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Xavier's a pretty forgiving guy considering Eric kills, roughly estimated, 1.5 billion people when he's playing with the earths magnetic field. Fits with the character I guess, he always gave Magneto absurd amounts of leeway. Did Apocalypse have some kind of mind control power or did all the horsemen just decide to do genocide because he gave a good speech?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
doublepost

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 26, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

doverhog posted:

Xavier's a pretty forgiving guy considering Eric kills, roughly estimated, 1.5 billion people when he's playing with the earths magnetic field. Fits with the character I guess, he always gave Magneto absurd amounts of leeway. Did Apocalypse have some kind of mind control power or did all the horsemen just decide to do genocide because he gave a good speech?

This might be due to Magneto's magnetic personality.

Or Xavier doesn't really give a poo poo about humans.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hodgepodge posted:

e: as powerful as Magneto is, he would also be exponentially more powerful if he used his ability to, say, gently caress with the electron configuration of non-metallic materials or electrical fields in general. I mean, superhero physics break all sorts of rules, but ferromagnets attracting is like, the absolute tip of the iceberg when it comes to electromagnetism.

Magneto's power list continues to grow as cool poo poo that is even vaguely connected to magnetism is played around with in science. Last I checked he has electromagnetic sight and can perceive people's magnetic auras and has superhuman physical stats and a bunch of other poo poo. He is practically Superman at this point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doverhog posted:

McDragon posted:

Apocalypse powering up his Horsemen and then it gets to Magneto and he's just "Eric, there's metal everywhere you dipshit".

He gave a good speech. Just believe in yourself! The power was inside you all along!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He gave a good speech. Just believe in yourself! The power was inside you all along!

"...and don't forget to murder all humans!"

The 4 horse semen: "will do! :downs:"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i'd murder every single one of you if oscar isaac told me to

doverhog
May 31, 2013

To be fair, kill all humans is a pretty compelling argument.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I hope I can post this without spoilers, but I thought it was good that they didn't go with corruption a la Blizzard, but instead went for disillusioned sociopaths who were exploited/treated unfairly by humans, and now have the power to gently caress everything up. Psylocke's motivation was the weakest imo, even Magneto had some sort of reason for wanting to kill everyone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This feels like such 90s comic badness. And so so cheap.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hodgepodge posted:

He should be able to one-shot the Hulk as well (Avengers Quicksilver anyhow; the Juggernaut in this case I suppose?). Acceleration is functionally equivalent to additional mass, the ratio being a well known little equation.

Like they always show speedsters throwing flurries of super-fast punches that aren't themselves much stronger than an ordinary punch. Once you get anywhere close to relativistic speeds, it should be one punch that can tear through Superman like his Kryptonian physique is wet paper mache. Supersonic speeds would suffice for the Hulkster.

For more or less ordinary people, it should be less "pulp" and more "a fine organic mist."

There was a really good iceman comic series in the late 90s that basically had someone smarter than ice man take his body then do a lot of "uhh, why don't you do this, why don't you do that" stuff then when he got his body back he kept thinking about it and basically turned into god, because the power to make cold implies a lot of stuff about the control over molecules and forces. He got brain damage eventually and stopped but I felt like the implication of that story was that basically all mutants are all powerful gods and the limited application of powers is a self imposed limitation and not real. Even the dumb snowman guy is secretly a god but just never thought it through hard enough before.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There was a really good iceman comic series in the late 90s that basically had someone smarter than ice man take his body then do a lot of "uhh, why don't you do this, why don't you do that" stuff then when he got his body back he kept thinking about it and basically turned into god, because the power to make cold implies a lot of stuff about the control over molecules and forces. He got brain damage eventually and stopped but I felt like the implication of that story was that basically all mutants are all powerful gods and the limited application of powers is a self imposed limitation and not real. Even the dumb snowman guy is secretly a god but just never thought it through hard enough before.

There was a point in one of the Justice League comics where Batman pointed out that wacky zany comic relief character Plastic Man is actually immortal and immune to telepathic control and mostly immune to physical damage and can not only take any shape he can think of but his strength is also pretty much just limited by his imagination so he'd be the most powerful being on the planet if he wasn't such a goofball.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 27, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Whoever said that Apocalypse seemed to just pick the first four mutants he could find was right. I mean, Magneto makes sense, and Storm being able to control the weather would be useful for the rebuilding phase of things, but Angel and Psylocke are just ridiculous. Apocalypse absolutely deserved to have his attempted takeover of Xavier interrupted given the dipshits he chose to protect him.

With the exception of the Quicksilver mansion scene, some of the lousiest action in the franchise. Bizarre how much less impactful Wolverine's stuff in the base was than the similar mansion scene in X2.

In general, the closer they get the roster to the one from X2 the more apparent it is how badly the new films stack up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Whoever said that Apocalypse seemed to just pick the first four mutants he could find was right. I mean, Magneto makes sense, and Storm being able to control the weather would be useful for the rebuilding phase of things, but Angel and Psylocke are just ridiculous. Apocalypse absolutely deserved to have his attempted takeover of Xavier interrupted given the dipshits he chose to protect him.

I was wondering who were the original Horsemen in the Apocalypse storyline in the comics and it turns out that apart from Angel they were really forgettable minor mutant characters. I guess they at least matched their Pestilence/Famine/War namesakes somewhat so at least they had that going for them?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Most of the original storylines in the comics are pretty bad and really dated. Try reading the original Days of Future Past after seeing the movie for instance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was wondering who were the original Horsemen in the Apocalypse storyline in the comics and it turns out that apart from Angel they were really forgettable minor mutant characters. I guess they at least matched their Pestilence/Famine/War namesakes somewhat so at least they had that going for them?

Someone who can make explosions (presumably augmentable by Apocalypse), someone who can spread super-diseases, and someone who can spread hunger definitely seem to fit the apocalypse better than what we got, even if the latter two wouldn't necessarily be great in a straight-up fight. Certainly better than loving Psylocke. Angel is, I guess, a classic member, though since they changed other things they could have just dropped him as well. It seems like they had to pick people who wouldn't be useful for causing a mass human extinction because they wanted to make sure that was reserved for Magento so they could give Fassbender a major role.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 27, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

doverhog posted:

Most of the original storylines in the comics are pretty bad and really dated. Try reading the original Days of Future Past after seeing the movie for instance.

I loving loved Secret Wars when I read it in the early 90s.

I reread it maybe 5 years ago and it was dumb as gently caress.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
One thing that I thought was really weird is Singer clearly hates X3 and not only did he erase it from continuity in DOFP he takes a not-so-subtle shot with the line "the third one is always the worst" after everyone watches Return of the Jedi but he kept the idea that the Phoenix is really the dark side of Jean's personality which was the one thing everyone REALLY hated from X3 (aside from Xavier and Cyclops dying). I dunno, I mean it makes sense so as this timeline doesn't get even more hosed up (shouldn't everyone from First Class, especially Havok, be 20+ years older?) but if they just ignored that and had the Phoenix Force show up nobody would have complained

I actually liked this one a lot, the motivations made enough sense to keep it going plus I got my fanboy going with things like Wolverine having his Weapon X helmet/belt from the comics

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The guy playing Havok looked exactly like Matt Smith.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It was so good.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I waited 15 years for the perfect X-Men film and finally got what I wanted.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Phoenix Force isn't her dark side in this movie, just uncontrolled and dangerously powerful. It's not inherently bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

The guy playing Havok looked exactly like Matt Smith.

Do we all look alike to you? Racist. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread