Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

eggyolk posted:

If anyone wanted in on the A4 it's Kickstarter is going now. Won't last long.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-the-worlds-smallest-gaming-tower

I've talked about this case a lot, and I really want to back it. However, for a total final cost of $280, I don't think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

$330 Canadian is a bit :sweatdrop:

It is lovely though

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Make up your mind quickly because I think it's going to sell out on day 1. Already halfway gone.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

eggyolk posted:

If anyone wanted in on the A4 it's Kickstarter is going now. Won't last long.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-the-worlds-smallest-gaming-tower

Ouch. $260 USD is awfully steep.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah. I was strongly considering getting one of those and using my current case as a file server, but that's a little too steep for me. I might as well just get something cheap isntead instead and get one of those cyrorig cases when they come out next year. I know the huge Enthoo case was a hit, how is Phantek's itx case? It's 50 bucks on newegg right now.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 29, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Prescription Combs posted:

Ouch. $260 USD is awfully steep.

The 3M PCIe riser cable is a good part of it alone.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yeah. I was strongly considering getting one of those and using my current case as a file server, but that's a little too steep for me. I might as well just get something cheap isntead instead and get one of those cyrorig cases when they come out next year. I know the huge Enthoo case was a hit, how is Phantek's itx case? It's 50 bucks on newegg right now.

It's huge. Like 34 liters.

I think the SG13B is the best small case. 10.5 liters, fits a 120mm AIO cooler and supports a 2.5" and a 3.5" or 3x2.5", and a ATX PSU.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 29, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh wow :stare: That's like twice as big as my 304, and that's a big case itself. The SG13B is cheap and all, but I'm not too big a fan of that chamfered look the front panel has.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh wow :stare: That's like twice as big as my 304, and that's a big case itself. The SG13B is cheap and all, but I'm not too big a fan of that chamfered look the front panel has.
There is an alternative fascia, does that look any better to you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163275

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah I just came across that. Since I already use a 120mm AIO and will only have an SSD and a bulk storage drive, for $45 that's not bad at all.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
I ordered an NCASE M1 for my next build. It won't be here for a few weeks, so naturally I'm obsessing over every other part I'm purchasing.

I'm planning on a 6700k/GTX 1070 build. I may overclock them slightly, so I've been looking at 600W power supplies.

I've heard that the Corsair SF600 PSU can be loud. I've heard similar/mixed things about the Silverstone SX600. Does anybody have experience with either? Would either be louder than a GTX 970/1070 under load? Alternatively, I've heard that the 450W versions of both power supplies are considerably more quiet--but would they be enough to power a potentially-overclocked 6700k/1070?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Karsh posted:

I ordered an NCASE M1 for my next build. It won't be here for a few weeks, so naturally I'm obsessing over every other part I'm purchasing.

I'm planning on a 6700k/GTX 1070 build. I may overclock them slightly, so I've been looking at 600W power supplies.

I've heard that the Corsair SF600 PSU can be loud. I've heard similar/mixed things about the Silverstone SX600. Does anybody have experience with either? Would either be louder than a GTX 970/1070 under load? Alternatively, I've heard that the 450W versions of both power supplies are considerably more quiet--but would they be enough to power a potentially-overclocked 6700k/1070?

You could always try the 500W PSU in the OP if you're worried the 450 won't be enough, I have it and so do a bunch of goons. Actually, it's probably the most common PSU for SFX builds, judging from all the pictures I've seen. Anyway, my 5775C and 980Ti only pull 365W from the wall according to my killawatt, but I haven't OCed anything.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Karsh posted:

You'll draw nowhere near 600W with that setup, probably not even 300W. For example, the [H] review with a 6700K overclocked to 4.7GHz and the stock 1070 hit 250W at the wall, which is only like 220W actual power draw. Similar, HardwareCanucks only hit 290W from the wall with a 1070 and 5960X @ 4.3GHz, and that thing draws way more power than a 6700K.

To me, it looks like the 450W supplies would likely be right in the sweet spot, efficiency wise, for a 6700k/1070 combo. Probably wouldn't even hit 50% load with both CPU and GPU at stock, so there's plenty of headroom.

It's absolutely crazy how much power consumption has come down the past couple years. Judging from some old reviews I was just digging through, my old Q6600/8800GTX combo sitting in the closet probably draws as much power at idle as a new 6700K/1070 combo does under load.

JBark fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 31, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JBark posted:

It's absolutely crazy how much power consumption has come down the past couple years.

Not if you still buy AMD products! An FX 9590 and a 295X2 would cause your power meter to spin like the scene in Christmas Vacation in which Clark turns on his decorations.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 31, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

HalloKitty posted:

Not if you still buy AMD products! An FX 9590 and a 295X2 would cause your power meter to spin like the scene in Christmas Vacation in which Clark turns on his decorations.

What's that come out to be, anyway? Somewhere up near 800W? I really, really want to see someone cram a setup like that in a tiny mITX case now. I can find a few close examples online, but nothing that uses an AMD CPU.

JBark fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 31, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

JBark posted:

What's that come out to be, anyway? Somewhere up near 800W? I really, really want to see someone cram a setup like that in a tiny mITX case now. I can find a few close examples online, but nothing that uses an AMD CPU.

Seen a system with a 295X2 and 4770K consume ~600W in a game here, and a system with an FX-9390 in it consume (using a Linpack benchmark) ~330W here.

Conveniently, the second link also has the 4770K performing the same test. The 4770K consumes 160W less in the same test. So, although it's not accounting for the exact gaming load in the first test with the 295X2, if we add the 160 to the original tests 592, we are at 752W.

There's no way you'd want to have an 800W PSU, because you are way too close to the limit there, running a CPU benchmark and some GPU intensive benchmark at the same time would probably see you kiss 800.

So this limits your theoretical build to a case that can fit a full-sized ATX PSU with a rating of at least 850 watts. No SFX PSUs for that build!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 31, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think the moral of this story is avoid ATI/AMD whenever possible for SFF builds. I didn't want to say it implicitly in the OP, but I think we all know...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think the moral of this story is avoid ATI/AMD whenever possible for SFF builds. I didn't want to say it implicitly in the OP, but I think we all know...

Eh, CPUs, yes, graphics cards, not so much. The Fury Nano is pretty much the ultimate in tiny graphics cards. That said, most cases are designed for full length cards, making that trait.. not so useful.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've been tempted to downsize from an N200 to something smaller since I only use one video card and the NCASE M1 is really nice. That Kickstarter case is nice too but they wouldn't ship until December, it looks like.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm really curious what the practical CPU limits people are going to find on the A4 are, given the restricted cooler size. Doubtless people will be trying to run the fastest things they can manage in there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
RVZ01 / 4690K (stock clocks) / H75 / SX500-LG / Reference 780 Ti

I wired my H75's pump drive off a Molex plug so the pump is always on full, with the H75 fan on the CPU fan header and the two GPU case fans on the case fan header, and it actually works pretty well. I am doing x264 encodes on it and I'm getting CPU package temps about 49-51C. It was doing Vive play this weekend with no problem, apart from turning the non-airconditioned cabin into a blast furnace in the 80-90* F heat.

e: PSU fan finally kicked on after encoding for a half hour.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 3, 2016

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've got a corsair 250d which apparently is fairly large as far as MITX's go.

My build uses a corsair h100i V2 CPU cooler (Had to end up drilling two holes to mount the radiator) and it works well. The fans are set to intake air, along with the case fan in the front.

I have no GPU atm, and will be getting a GTX 1070 when it's out. I have to decide between a blower or not. I don't get the impression the blowers are very good when it comes to cooling and sound but I'm worried about a GPU intaking a load of air on the left side of the case too, so there's intakes on the left, right, and front, maybe making the PC hot.

Apparently having so much air intake just pushes it out the back more efficiently, which would be fine. What should I do?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rookoo posted:

I've got a corsair 250d which apparently is fairly large as far as MITX's go.

My build uses a corsair h100i V2 CPU cooler (Had to end up drilling two holes to mount the radiator) and it works well. The fans are set to intake air, along with the case fan in the front.

I have no GPU atm, and will be getting a GTX 1070 when it's out. I have to decide between a blower or not. I don't get the impression the blowers are very good when it comes to cooling and sound but I'm worried about a GPU intaking a load of air on the left side of the case too, so there's intakes on the left, right, and front, maybe making the PC hot.

Apparently having so much air intake just pushes it out the back more efficiently, which would be fine. What should I do?

FWIW and anecdotal, but I built my wife's system into a 250D, and a few different GPUs with 3rd party coolers didn't really fit (GeForce 780), so I ended up having to use a card that had dimensions pretty close to nVidia's reference cooler.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah as far as I'm aware it's usually the height of the gpu that causes trouble. I can fit a 970 that's 140mm, any higher is asking for trouble. I checked, and it seems most of the new cards are 140mm or under.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've read that the thermaltake core x1 can fit a 400mm rad in the top, does anyone have any experience of this?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

wipeout posted:

I've read that the thermaltake core x1 can fit a 400mm rad in the top, does anyone have any experience of this?

I have that case and have not tried a rad that big but I very much doubt it. The case is nearly a perfect cube and if you look up some pictures of it, that front fan is a 200mm and occupies much of the width. A 200x200 could probably fit on the top or front with a little custom work but not a 200x400.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

buffbus posted:

I have that case and have not tried a rad that big but I very much doubt it. The case is nearly a perfect cube and if you look up some pictures of it, that front fan is a 200mm and occupies much of the width. A 200x200 could probably fit on the top or front with a little custom work but not a 200x400.

How are you liking the case?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 5, 2016

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

HalloKitty posted:

Seen a system with a 295X2 and 4770K consume ~600W in a game here, and a system with an FX-9390 in it consume (using a Linpack benchmark) ~330W here.

Conveniently, the second link also has the 4770K performing the same test. The 4770K consumes 160W less in the same test. So, although it's not accounting for the exact gaming load in the first test with the 295X2, if we add the 160 to the original tests 592, we are at 752W.

There's no way you'd want to have an 800W PSU, because you are way too close to the limit there, running a CPU benchmark and some GPU intensive benchmark at the same time would probably see you kiss 800.

So this limits your theoretical build to a case that can fit a full-sized ATX PSU with a rating of at least 850 watts. No SFX PSUs for that build!

The silverstone SG-13B can accept longer PSU, you just have to take off the hard drive caddy and there is at least 3 inches of room. I managed to cram a 150mm long EVGA PSU into the SG13B along with the hard drive caddy holding a standard hard drive. Only thing was it only fit with the fan sucking air from inside the case. But even with the hard drive caddy removed, there is an area where you can install a single ssd/laptop drive below the case fan/gpu.

E: Not advocating using AMD CPU's, but I was tempted to get a longer platinum rated PSU.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

buffbus posted:

Then you have the Core V1, same as I do, where indeed a 400mm radiator isn't going to fit anywhere. Even to fit a 240mm you'd need to mod it (it's great for 140 or 120mm ones, though).

The Core X1 is this thing, which is much bigger. CTRL-F "radiator support" and it states that it can hold up to a 360mm radiator at the top, and up to 540mm in the front.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Core V1 is my suggestion for being the best balance of ease-of-build, accommodation of modding / extra features, size efficiency, and definitely cost. I'd use that as a mini ITX build case reference point where if you need something that it doesn't offer, you're going to be looking at some sincere compromises from what the Core V1 offers on almost any concern in a case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NihilCredo posted:

Then you have the Core V1, same as I do, where indeed a 400mm radiator isn't going to fit anywhere. Even to fit a 240mm you'd need to mod it (it's great for 140 or 120mm ones, though).

The Core X1 is this thing, which is much bigger. CTRL-F "radiator support" and it states that it can hold up to a 360mm radiator at the top, and up to 540mm in the front.

Yep that's it. It can fit 2 x 200mm fans at the top, but I was wondering if the additional size of the rad would be a problem. Looking at measurements for it, I think a 200 x 400mm rad should fit.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

The Core V1 is my suggestion for being the best balance of ease-of-build, accommodation of modding / extra features, size efficiency, and definitely cost. I'd use that as a mini ITX build case reference point where if you need something that it doesn't offer, you're going to be looking at some sincere compromises from what the Core V1 offers on almost any concern in a case.

No fan filters was an early dealbreaker for me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

wipeout posted:

Yep that's it. It can fit 2 x 200mm fans at the top, but I was wondering if the additional size of the rad would be a problem. Looking at measurements for it, I think a 200 x 400mm rad should fit.

Sweet jesus, that's a 56 liter mITX case...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

snuff posted:

No fan filters was an early dealbreaker for me.

You can get the Suppressor F1, then. It's nearly identical but comes with additional filters on the side panels. (Both the V1 and the F1 have filters on the front intake and on the bottom PSU intake.)

I didn't go for it because I didn't like how the front fan intakes from the sides, and unlike the fan filters I couldn't easily fix that one. And since the Suppressor costs about 10€ more (55€ instead of 45€), I figured I'd just put the difference into a couple of cheap filters for the GPU side panels. (Then I ended up just taping some mesh on the inside of the panel, and it turned out totally invisible.)

In any case I agree with necrobobsledder, the V1/F1 is an excellent bang-for-buck choice and should probably be listed in the OP. It's a little bigger than the Sugo S13, but it's less restrictive on component choices and much, much easier to build. Though, if I were building my system today, I'd splurge a little extra for the Node 304 instead (it wasn't available at the time).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Since the DAN A4-SFX case broke my heart with such a high price, this is the next case I'm waiting to be heartbroken by.

https://hardforum.com/threads/sentry-console-sized-gaming-pc-case-project.1832126/page-29

6.9L so its even smaller, but back to the slim tower/low wide type, similar to the RVZ02 or Node 202. Currently they are saying it will cost $170-190, which is definitely more reasonable and even smaller than the Dan Case. However, that is already up from their intial estimate of $160.

Also I have a very strange idea, that I will probably never do. But Inwin makes a 12.5L microATX case that comes with a 300W SFX PSU that could be replaced by an SFX-L power supply. It would require a ton of cutting, just to get airflow, but you could SLI 9.5" video cards. Hugely irresponsible, but it would be hilarious to see it done. Hopefully one of the AIB partners makes a smaller R480 or GTX1070.

http://www.in-win.com.tw/Corporate/en/goods.php?act=view&id=BK644%20Special%20Edition

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 7, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Better link: http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/

The back of the PSU is inside the case for some reason? That blue cable appears super sized USB connectors.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Otherwise you'd be plugging the PSU in at the side of the case.

I'm sure a bit of smarter cabling there with the PSU and USB cables would help the crappy airflow there.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Aesthetically, that doesn't do it for me. I like the DAN's size and layout but I like the NCASE face better. Specifically the button and two usb ports.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If those additional brackets can hold 2x 3.5" drives instead of 4x 2.5" drives - and it would frankly surprise me if they couldn't - then that case would make for a great compact file server. 6x HDDs + 2x SSDs is a crazy amount of storage in such a small space, probably more than consumer-grade miTX mobos and SFX PSUs can support out of the box actually - I've only seen up to 6x SATA ports so far.

Of course, that wouldn't be nearly as crazy as actually putting 4x 2.5" in each bracket as they seem to suggest. You'd need to use a RAID card in the PCI-E slot to even connect them all (assuming a small enough card wouldn't block brackets #4 or #5), rely on plenty of Y-splitters for powering them, and I'm getting boners nightmares just thinking about the cable management.

EDIT: I stand corrected, turns out there are relatively cheap, NAS-oriented Avoton mITX mobos with 12 onboard SATA ports.

EDIT2: Thinking about it, though, I'm afraid 6x HDDs in such a small space without fans actively blowing over them would probably be headed to a fiery death within the short term. I fear that using this case for storage is probably limited to the VERY expensive 12x SSD option. Or you could McGyver some way of sacrificing a few drive slots to fit in a few 80mm fans, kinda like a ghetto blade server.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You can get 2-port mini-PCI SATA cards. That leaves your PCIe bay clear. No comment on whether it fits in that case.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Port-SATA-Components-SD-MPE40056/dp/B009WN7QTE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 7, 2016