Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://powerquality.eaton.com/EL500IEC.aspx?CX=101 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Doing some upgrading on an older system I had. Currently the specs are:
Case: Silverstone sg05
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97n
Processor: Intel i5 4590
Cooler: Corsair H60
Videocard: Asus gtx 660 direct cu mini
Ram: 8 gigs of something
Powersupply: silverstone 450 sfx

First time running a Corsair AIO cooler. Just did a brief intel burn test and the temps hit 100 C before I shut the test down. Before this I was running an ivy bridge i3 with a Samuel 17 cooler. What the christ is going on here. Idle temps seems to be at 35 C at the moment.

Edit: Ah, I've got the "thin motherboard" issue that is apparently A. Thing. with the H60. Gonna have to put washers on the back plate to take out the slack from the standoff screws. Joy.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 20, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Could, but only if they came in 120V.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Coredump posted:

Doing some upgrading on an older system I had. Currently the specs are:
Case: Silverstone sg05
Motherboard: Gigabyte H97n
Processor: Intel i5 4590
Cooler: Corsair H60
Videocard: Asus gtx 660 direct cu mini
Ram: 8 gigs of something
Powersupply: silverstone 450 sfx

First time running a Corsair AIO cooler. Just did a brief intel burn test and the temps hit 100 C before I shut the test down. Before this I was running an ivy bridge i3 with a Samuel 17 cooler. What the christ is going on here. Idle temps seems to be at 35 C at the moment.

Edit: Ah, I've got the "thin motherboard" issue that is apparently A. Thing. with the H60. Gonna have to put washers on the back plate to take out the slack from the standoff screws. Joy.

Get a mini GTX 970 or wait for a mini GTX 1070 to become available (probably a few months). Everything else is fine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

blowfish posted:

Get a mini GTX 970 or wait for a mini GTX 1070 to become available (probably a few months). Everything else is fine.

Agreed. These were used parts I got off sa-mart as part of an unplanned but happy upgrade. Still haven't gotten the washers yet to get the standoff screws nice and tight. Apparently what happens is with the standoff screws being loose the water block / pump assembly is not as tight as it needs to be for cooling. This is apparently a common thing with those h60's. I had no idea. I wish Corsair would include some optional washers in the package.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
After spending too much time doing research, i've come to the conclusion that i really really like the ASRock DeskMini 110

Any idea when it's gonna come out?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What are you shoving into there? Why not a NUC instead?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Coredump posted:

Agreed. These were used parts I got off sa-mart as part of an unplanned but happy upgrade. Still haven't gotten the washers yet to get the standoff screws nice and tight. Apparently what happens is with the standoff screws being loose the water block / pump assembly is not as tight as it needs to be for cooling. This is apparently a common thing with those h60's. I had no idea. I wish Corsair would include some optional washers in the package.

I have the same loose bottom plate on my h60 and asus h97i-plus but the top plate is still nice and tight to the point where the arms on it flex a bit. Idle temps are usually 27-32c. Just throwing in my anecdotal evidence that some play doesn't mean something is wrong.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012

Moey posted:

What are you shoving into there? Why not a NUC instead?

Well you can't upgrade a NUC's cpu, and the NUC comes out more expensive for the same hardware. Plus with that particular model you can add an aftermarket HSF.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

diesiel posted:

Well you can't upgrade a NUC's cpu, and the NUC comes out more expensive for the same hardware. Plus with that particular model you can add an aftermarket HSF.

Do you just need high end compute performance?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Cooler Master Elite 130 is on sale for $40 right now thru Amazon. It's a mini-itx case that can take full size power supplies. Looks pretty interesting. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/4p4ydb/case_cooler_master_elite_130_mini_itx_40_19/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Someone on OC.net made this re: the new CL models.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
The more I've looked at cases the more perplexed I've become over what choice to make. I went from the rvz01 to the ftz01 to now wanting a fractal node 304. This would be a lot easier if I didn't want to keep an internal 3.5" hard drive :downs:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

particle9 posted:

The more I've looked at cases the more perplexed I've become over what choice to make. I went from the rvz01 to the ftz01 to now wanting a fractal node 304. This would be a lot easier if I didn't want to keep an internal 3.5" hard drive :downs:

Have you considered the SG13b?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I made this for the A4 thread on HardOCP.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

particle9 posted:

The Node 304 has slots for 6 3.5" drives as I'm sure you know... I personally only have one of the HDD cages (1 of 3, all removable) installed so I could have a full video card but I have a 1TB HDD and a SSD in mine and haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's a very tight case though once you get everything packed into it so that's something to keep in mind.

Griffith86 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 24, 2016

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do you just need high end compute performance?

A nice balance between size, performance and cost(in order of importance). Seems like the 5x5 mSTX builds might just fit the bill.

Announced months ago, and no news. Shame.

diesiel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 24, 2016

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Griffith86 posted:

The Node 304 has slots for 6 3.5" drives as I'm sure you know... I personally only have one of the HDD cages (1 of 3, all removable) installed so I could have a full video card but I have a 1TB HDD and a SSD in mine and haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's a very tight case though once you get everything packed into it so that's something to keep in mind.

From what I can tell it's a lot less packed than the rvz01 or ftz01. I am just going to keep my 1tb ssd and a 6tb WD 3.5" drive for files. A lot of the super small cases (Node 202) don't have any room for a 3.5" drive. I just want it to fit in my TV console eventually.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/hd-media-console/s339688

I mean, it's great there are this many options.

The SG13b is too meshy for what I'm looking for. The FTZ01 is really the closest thing I've seen so far. If the Node 202 could fit a larger HDD I would buy that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

particle9 posted:

From what I can tell it's a lot less packed than the rvz01 or ftz01. I am just going to keep my 1tb ssd and a 6tb WD 3.5" drive for files. A lot of the super small cases (Node 202) don't have any room for a 3.5" drive. I just want it to fit in my TV console eventually.

The SG13b is too meshy for what I'm looking for. The FTZ01 is really the closest thing I've seen so far. If the Node 202 could fit a larger HDD I would buy that.

Sg13b-q

Look it up

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

particle9 posted:

The RVZ02 and ML08 fit a 3.5" drive but only if your GPU is less than about 200-210mm long.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Allstone posted:

The RVZ02 and ML08 fit a 3.5" drive but only if your GPU is less than about 200-210mm long.

I broke the ODD mounting stud off in my RVZ02 and shoved a 3.5" in that space. There's nothing to mount it down and the vibrations are kind of loud, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm impressed with the Asus z170i pro gaming board. No problems running ddr4 at 4000, it's reasonably cheap, and seems happy running my 6600k at decent clocks (4.5 right now). Plus it has 3 fan headers, and bios options to switch fans off if the systems temperature is low enough. So my box is 100% silent while idling and surfing.

The only slight fly in the ointment is the Atheros wireless card is not great.

I just used one for a mitx build intended for vr and work, and would recommend it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 25, 2016

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

wipeout posted:

I'm impressed with the Asus z170i pro gaming board.
I just used one for a mitx build intended for vr and work, and would recommend it.
I was not sure I would care for the separate wireless antenna, but I was happy to find out it fold flat and has a magnet to sick it to the case.
I would say the build quality makes it worth the extra :10bux:

I'll need to play around more with the over clocking stuff. I turned it off because I was getting the occasional hard lock, but I think I narrowed it down to video drivers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of which, this was a really useful spreadsheet that helped me a lot during the build process:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1saNUPX6ycN20R1Yu_lNDPpowTfVwmrQiwHYVNAoZenw/edit?usp=sharing&pref=2&pli=1

I personally chose to go with the ASRock Fat4lity because of a few extra features and better looks, but the z170i pro gaming was indeed my #2 choice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Coming from a sandy bridge - there's a lot of overclock options... I ended up using xmp settings to start with, with adaptive vcore. Trying normal offset it overvolted it by quite a bit but adaptive did what it was told.

It does seem very overvolt happy so watch out for auto settings, ie user agent voltage and vccio.

E- stay away from prime 95 :v: also modern BIOS 's can get off my lawn.

I had the asrock board as my number one, mostly because of the success of memory overclocks.... so I was happy to get this stable at ddr4000 so I didn't regret it(!). I did at first until I got it down. Both great boards I think.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 25, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I caved and bought an M1 and it looks fantastic. With regards to temps for SFF, what do you all typically aim for? I got an H105 for liquid cooling because its tubes were flexible and narrow enough to fit, but if I clock my 6700k to 4.7ghz it can get up to 70+ degrees under load, whereas 4.4ghz has it between about 55-60. I'm wondering if I should put on a different paste than what it came with (which I do have), or if I should switch it out to one of those Noctua heatsinks (I have two Noctua fans on the radiator) as people seem to like those for these builds. The GPU seems to get between 65-70ish when in use, but as it's a 1080 I'm not particularly bothered by that. The system is super quiet though, so perhaps I should just leave it as is.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

triple sulk posted:

I caved and bought an M1 and it looks fantastic. With regards to temps for SFF, what do you all typically aim for? I got an H105 for liquid cooling because its tubes were flexible and narrow enough to fit, but if I clock my 6700k to 4.7ghz it can get up to 70+ degrees under load, whereas 4.4ghz has it between about 55-60. I'm wondering if I should put on a different paste than what it came with (which I do have), or if I should switch it out to one of those Noctua heatsinks (I have two Noctua fans on the radiator) as people seem to like those for these builds. The GPU seems to get between 65-70ish when in use, but as it's a 1080 I'm not particularly bothered by that. The system is super quiet though, so perhaps I should just leave it as is.

I'd like to know too. My recent M1 build, using a Noctua NH-U9S on a 6700k at stock (4.2ghz turbo) speeds, averages around 65-70 when under load. My GPU, a 1070 FE, gets to 82-83 under heavy load at stock speeds.

I added a side intake fan in front of the push-pull setup of the CPU cooler, and some intakes on the bottom of the case beneath the GPU. They don't seem to help much.

That's a shot from my current fan layout (excuse the lovely cabling). I moved the 92mm fan from behind the CPU to the bottom of the case, and moved a 120mm fan to the side panel. Overall no configuration seems to make a huge difference.

Karsh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What Noctua cpu cooler is that?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

buffbus posted:

I have the same loose bottom plate on my h60 and asus h97i-plus but the top plate is still nice and tight to the point where the arms on it flex a bit. Idle temps are usually 27-32c. Just throwing in my anecdotal evidence that some play doesn't mean something is wrong.

Just to update. Case is a Silverstone SG05 I got some plastic and rubber washers from Lowe's and was able to get all the slack out of the stand off screws for the Corsair H60i. When I unmounted the waterblock from my cpu there was barely an transfer of TIM from the waterblock to cpu. I then reseated the cpu cooler and tried again. Temps were higher than I liked so I took the cooler back off and switched the TIM for some Noctua NT-H1 that I have.

Ambient in the room with the pc is 80 F and cpu is currently idling between 33-44 C. When I did a few minutes of Intel burn test my temps went up to 86 C max. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing but I never did temp tests when I was running an ivy bridge i3 with a Samuel 17 cooler in this system. I'm wondering if this is the best that I'm going to get. I'm almost tempted to put the Samuel cooler and Noctua fan back on to see what temps I get. However, in order to do that I would have to take the case COMPLETELY apart as the front fan is between the front panel and radiator and I would need to swap that back to the Silverstone stock fan.

Edit: Figured it out. Clocked the waterblock another 90 degrees as there is a row of capacitors near the cpu socket. One edge of plastic on the waterblock must have been making contact with the capacitors. Even when I looked at it again it didn't look like they were quite touching, but it was too close not to try. I'm running intel burn test right now and my temps are maxing at 55 C. Which in an enclosure this tight I'm good with that, especially under 100% load. loving finally.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 25, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Coredump posted:

What Noctua cpu cooler is that?

Looks like a U9S.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
I have an RVZ01B and need a new GPU. I was previously using a 960 with an ACX 2.0 cooler that, IIRC, was usually 70-75c during peak gaming. I'm looking at either a 480 or a 1070 to get more perf for the same wattage (the 960 was rated for 160W max), but am wondering if I should get a blower-style card this time around, both for better cooling (?) and to make it easier to put the GPU bracket on - it was really tricky to find the right spot so that it would hold the card up without covering either of the fans.

If it matters, I'll have an i5-4590 with the stock cooler on the other side. Noise isn't a huge issue since I couch game and sit 10' from the PC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This poo poo has been vaporware for years but I've had my eye on their webpage and it looks like we might finally see some of these spinning-heatsink coolers:

https://www.facebook.com/CoolchipTechnologies

CoolChip Technologies posted:

Check it out! Low Profile Kinetic Cooler for locked Skylake (70W TDP). Can't share details, but COMING SOON! :-)

Those are going to have serious implications for SFF and low-profile cooling. Allegedly they can cool much more quietly and in a smaller package than current coolers. Looking forward to reviews when they finally hit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Holy poo poo, they're actually going to sell something? I gave up on them.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
They had a ces demo last year

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

twxabfn posted:

I have an RVZ01B and need a new GPU. I was previously using a 960 with an ACX 2.0 cooler that, IIRC, was usually 70-75c during peak gaming. I'm looking at either a 480 or a 1070 to get more perf for the same wattage (the 960 was rated for 160W max), but am wondering if I should get a blower-style card this time around, both for better cooling (?) and to make it easier to put the GPU bracket on - it was really tricky to find the right spot so that it would hold the card up without covering either of the fans.

If it matters, I'll have an i5-4590 with the stock cooler on the other side. Noise isn't a huge issue since I couch game and sit 10' from the PC.

Have you seen any of Gigabyte's cards with the full water block and all-in-one cooler? They have a 980ti and now a 1080 version coming out soonish.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

Coredump posted:

Have you seen any of Gigabyte's cards with the full water block and all-in-one cooler? They have a 980ti and now a 1080 version coming out soonish.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in going that high, either in power consumption (980ti) or price (1080). Was just wondering which style of cooler works better in the RVZ01 as I saw a couple posts here and there saying that blower-style would work better, but further reading suggests that open-air is actually preferable, as less heat from the GPU gets transferred to the SSD that way.

If I have temp issues with my new GPU after I get it, I'll just add another fan to the GPU compartment - I'm only using the two fans that came with the case right now, one over the CPU and the other on one of the GPU compartment vents.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

twxabfn posted:

Thanks, but I'm not interested in going that high, either in power consumption (980ti) or price (1080). Was just wondering which style of cooler works better in the RVZ01 as I saw a couple posts here and there saying that blower-style would work better, but further reading suggests that open-air is actually preferable, as less heat from the GPU gets transferred to the SSD that way.

If I have temp issues with my new GPU after I get it, I'll just add another fan to the GPU compartment - I'm only using the two fans that came with the case right now, one over the CPU and the other on one of the GPU compartment vents.

I'm curious as to the answer but I can say that my reference 780 Ti works fine in my RVZ01, and that's about as hot a card as you can get. I have the SX500-LG and it's very quiet under load (Vive gaming).

Either way go push-inwards on the GPU fans, and if you have clearance go push-inwards on the CPU fan too. That way you get positive pressure and the hot air gets forced out the louvers. Most of the open coolers work by forcing air downwards over the fins of the heatsink, so by pushing inwards you are helping the cooler fan instead of fighting it.

I ended up running a H75 AIO, pushing inwards. It's really loving tight and I had to jam down an uncomfortable amount to get the case closed. However, under full/prolonged load (Handbrake encoding) it hits 52C.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Well the DAN A4 kickstarter finished, let's see how long they'll take to ship.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

This poo poo has been vaporware for years but I've had my eye on their webpage and it looks like we might finally see some of these spinning-heatsink coolers:

https://www.facebook.com/CoolchipTechnologies

Those are going to have serious implications for SFF and low-profile cooling. Allegedly they can cool much more quietly and in a smaller package than current coolers. Looking forward to reviews when they finally hit.

Wow, did that idea ever take a long time to come to market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Hello friendos,

I was hoping someone here could recommend me a PSU and 2TB HDD, here's the build I'm considering:
Case: Thermaltake Core v1
CPU: Intel i5 6500
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other
1*2 TB HDD for storing games, and audio visual entertainment, plus a myriad of other poo poo

I was looking at a Coolermaster Vanguard 80+ Gold Full-Modular 550 PSU, and a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

I'm also interested in comments on my other choices except my GPU, because I've already bought that, especially whether its worth getting a Z mobo to host 3200 Hz RAM when I won't be overclocking. This build will be used to run games like modern games, and a bunch of engineering stuff like solidworks, abaqus, and the like.

Thanks in advance for any help