Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm using a Prodigy right now :( I guess I understand the complaints though, it basically takes up the same footprint as an ATX tower so there's no real estate savings there.

I definitely want to change that for my next build though, and I'm looking at the SilverStone ML08B. Any reports on that? It looks nice and small and doesn't look like it should be a trouble to build in if I use a modular PSU. I've heard some wariness about the lack of fans, but also that it stays pretty cool regardless because of the case design itself? I probably would just be using a 1070 and stock CPU cooler, no overclocking or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Thanks, this was really helpful. I was thinking about building in an ML08, which seems really similar to this case, and the one thing that was giving me pause was temperatures. Also from reading the parts thread everyone is saying overclocking a gaming rig is a no-brainer at this point, and not doing so is leaving money on the table, but that would be putting more heat into the system...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks to this topic, I ended up building a mini ITX Skylake computer. I had a hard time picking a case. I was going to go the Thermaltake Core V1 route but that wasn't much smaller then my current Cooler Master N200. Then I started looking at the Node 202 and the RVZ02. I ended up going with the RVZ02 since my GTX 1070 was a non blower cooler.

Overall, I am really happy with the RVZ02. The only thing that bothers me about this set up is that my ultrawide is Freesync. I didn't think I would have missed adaptive sync that much but after a week with my GTX 1070, I caved in. Now I have to wait for my X34 to get here, and then flip this Freesync ultrawide on craigslist after.

Any updates on how this system is doing? I am planning to pull the trigger on a build that's basically this but in the ML08B. You mentioned some high temperatures and I am kind of worried about putting in an overclocking CPU and 1070 into a fanless case...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for the replies, they've given me another thing to think about as I plan my build. The idea of having a separate GPU compartment seemed really neat, but...

I don't know. Maybe I should just... build a Micro ATX tower :sigh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Any thoughts on Lian Li cases? They didn't get mentioned in the OP so I was wondering what the general take is on them; I'm looking at the LIAN LI PC-Q10WX. It's a step up in price, but not as big as those custom Kickstarter cases so it might be a good middle ground for me, and if they're built to last it might be worth it if I end up re-using it for a new build in 5 years

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

They are designed for boutique form-factor over functionality... a lot of them have very bad airflow design especially for the GPU, and they don't keep dust out either. They're all made of aluminum which is nice if you get a model with the carrying handle for a super light package.

I checked them out in person at Microcenter before but stuck with my tried and true Core V1

Thanks for this. Hmm, now I am looking at the Core V1 more closely. I am also starting to become enamored with the idea of getting one of those tower coolers...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My Core V1 came in and... I guess it looks nice and seems well constructed. It doesn't seem that much smaller than my BitFenix Prodigy if you subtract those weird handles, though. I guess it's not as long? Though that's the least important dimension to me. At least it fits under my desk better than the Prodigy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You know, after having done a build for the first time in a long while, I appreciate the space to cram down all those cables, I don't know how I would have worked in a smaller space.

I mean I guess I could have gotten custom short cables but