Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also the Prodigy was the biggest disappointment ever. What a waste of money that was.
The Prodigy is almost like a practical joke it's so bad. The ITX prodigy is noticeably bigger than my mATX SG10. Which is admittedly pretty much the smallest mATX case ever but cmon.

Node 202 looks pretty sweet, I got to check out the insides of one and it seemed very nice. Looks like it should support those newish silverstone SFX-L power supplies too which is awfully nice compared to requiring standard SFX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

[core x1] 56L itx case
Holy cow that thing is huge for ITX. I don't understand why they even make cases like that ITX only. The case is 11 inches wide with a horizontal motherboard tray, mATX boards are maximum 9.6" x 9.6". Maybe they'd have to make the case slightly wider but I doubt it. Looking at their official photos it looks like there is plenty of empty space around ITX boards in this case and it seems to me the case could've been designed to take mATX without being even a tiny bit bigger. ITX would still be a supported option.

Seems like a nice case design overall, not trying to flame the guy who bought it. I just don't know why they'd limit people to ITX only when the case is physically big enough to take bigger boards if they just changed the motherboard tray a bit. Several mATX cases are smaller while having broad component compatibility. Silverstone SG10 is WAY smaller, Corsair Air 240 is a bit smaller with similar design and compatibility but takes mATX boards. Cases like this core X1 just make no sense to me.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Oh, excellent! I'll just go with the pre-applied paste then, if it's acceptable. Applying my own makes me nervous, and I'm just building in the ability for him to overclock for prudence's sake. I don't know if he'll ever actually take advantage of it.

Out of curiosity, why is the Arctic paste crappy and the noctua good? I just threw that brand on there because nerds seem to like it
Common thermal pastes are within 2-3 degrees of each other. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616-18.html

Some people dislike AS5 because it's especially thick and can be a bit fussier to work with. Getting whatever is cheap is fine in general though. Using the stuff that comes with a cooler is also perfectly fine and is what would usually be done for a brand new build.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Yes, but I don't think 92mm all-in-ones are. I can't find any actually being sold anywhere, just evidence that Asetek launched some in 2010 which may or may not still be available.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
There's some pretty drat small cases that take ATX power supplies, silverstone SG13 comes to mind. Not slim though, shoebox style. Everything I can think of in a slim style is SFX though.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Just got my Thermaltake Engine 27; the build quality is super-solid. At default RPM I can only hear it holding it right up to my ear, and at full RPM I can't hear if if it is put inside the case. I don't have any way to test temps yet but if it performs as promised then it'll obsolete all other coolers in the 70 TDP and below range.
Can't wait to find out temps. I feel like the guy above me, don't need one at all but I just want one anyway

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Wait, the C7 is supposedly rated for 100W TDP chips. Should I be looking at buying the Engine 27 over the C7, in spite of the lower wattage rating?

... no?

I honestly don't understand why you'd even ask. As the guy above me said you would only get something like an Engine 27 when you can't fit anything bigger.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

That little pcb is likely gonna gently caress up the high speed signalling unless they get a good designer
Seems quite possible, since PCIe riser cables other than the 3M one are notoriously janky. I kinda hope they do it right though because that is a cool idea. Well, the PCB riser thing to make a slightly thinner case is cool. Handles seem a bit silly to me especially on such a small case. Last time I went to a lan party I just carried my SG10 under one arm and my monitor under the other. It's way bigger but it was easy.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

well why not posted:

Yeah, that thing with an interchangeable processor + different GPU (and some more restraint in the styling) would be almost perfect.
In the review it says it actually is an interchangable socketed processor, you can even buy it barebones with no CPU included. Or the cpu options are normal stuff up to i7-6700 as an option. I'd rather see a similar case that lets you install your own ITX mobo but that thing looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Totally agree, with the PSU in there that thing only makes sense for a GTX 1060 system which yeah rarely would it make sense to put in an i7. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that thing is the best option available I just wanted to point out that it is a socketed proc because I'm a pedantic nerd :D

That Hutzy case is definitely even cooler.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

the GPU is actually an MXM board with a traditional fan cooler attached so that it looks like a normal graphics card when it's not. That's how they have it facing up without an elaborate riser. So, don't
Ohhh poo poo I didn't catch that detail. That's actually really cool from a novelty point of view, but yeah I wouldn't buy it. There is no way you will ever get a GPU upgrade for a design like that. It's a cute way to avoid needing a riser and their cost to design and produce it was probably minimal cause it's not SO different from building a laptop right? .

Your example custom build would definitely be what I'd go with, because yeah you're probably going to want a GPU upgrade before you need to change anything else in the system.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just look at it and see a lot of wasted space in the top right, enough space to fit a PSU and then make the entire case shorter. In fact, that's what an M1 is.
Yeah. Silverstone SG10 uses a similar layout, is 23L and takes microATX motherboards. I've posted about this case before as it is awesome:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

an skeleton posted:

Can you lovely ITX-knowledgable folks let me know if the case (NZXT manta mini ITX) should be sufficient for these parts? https://pcpartpicker.com/user/polymetric/saved/sbQRBm
Looks fine, should be easy. The NZXT Manta is not small. It's one of those rather big ITX cases that is literally bigger than some mATX cases because it supports basically anything you could possibly want to throw in it. If you're after a really compact system I think you'd be pretty disappointed in the Manta but if you just want a smallish midtower case and you like that one then by all means go for it. However if you were assuming ITX = really small, be aware there are mATX cases available that are smaller than the Manta and plenty of ITX cases that are way smaller.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I haven't worked on or looked inside a Line M so I can't really speak to that, but it does look like it's a bit bigger than an SG10. I have an SG10 and love it, highly recommend it but it is a bit finicky to build in the SG10. It is one of those cases where a lot of things just barely fit, and the layout is kinda weird. Line M looks to me like it is probably a bit easier to build, much more standard layout inside, at the expense of not being quite as compact.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

Yes, it's a big ITX case. But it's a really good ITX case if it's your first time working with a smaller form factor. There's a ton of cable management solutions, a lot of space for storing traditional HDDs as well as SSDs, enough space to house a large aftermarket CPU cooler, can fit a full-size 1070/1080 comfortably, and is generally a very good-looking case with minimalist design. There's even a lot of room for liquid cooling solutions if that's your thing, and it's engineered to accommodate them.

Don't let the big boys here in the thread try to intimidate you with their teenier cases. You can definitely go smaller than the Nano S, but you have to make more compromises.
I don't think anyone is trying to say anyone should get a smaller case than a Nano. Those of us who point out the Nano is really huge for ITX are mostly just saying that if that size is okay with you, there is a whole wide world of nice mATX cases around the same size or smaller which are worth considering. At that point you have more and cheaper motherboard options. I don't think there's anything inferior about deciding to build a system that size but it really doesn't require ITX and that is worth pointing out, especially cause ITX motherboards cost more and are a lot less plentiful.

edit: It's also entirely valid to decide on the Nano, it's nice, just good to really consider all the options available.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Only the microATX cases that push mATX as small as it can possibly go, such as the SG10, are annoying to work in.

The Nano is so large that there are cases that are similar size or a bit smaller compared to a Nano but have very normal very easy to build layouts. For example check out this photo gallery of the Core 1000, about the same size as the Nano just slightly different shape and takes mATX motherboards. http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/1870#1

Might as well be building in a full tower just with less empty space inside. Nothing weird or challenging or cramped there. I don't see how that would be any more painful to build than a Nano S, certainly doesn't look like it'd be "hell."

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 24, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Palladium posted:

Also I don't get how a standard tower is "difficult to work with".
I think he was referring to the cases that push the limits of how small mATX can go. Like I absolutely love the SG10 but it's a bit finicky to build in, I wouldn't recommend it to a first time PC builder. But that is because it has a weird non standard layout, you have to install everything in the right order, and the motherboard will just barely fit where it goes.

Thing is a lot of people seem to think that most mATX cases are like this and they mostly are not. So that's why in my previous post I linked a photo gallery of assembling a more normal mATX build to show it is not painful.

edit: many ITX cases are so much smaller than mATX that this conversation never comes up. The reason this conversation started is the Fractal Nano is a comically huge ITX case, that's why we can accurately say many mATX cases would be about the same size. ITX cases that actually take advantage of how small ITX boards are wind up being way smaller. Like look at the inside of the Nano once the motherboard is installed about halfway down this page: http://techreport.com/review/29737/fractal-design-define-nano-s-case-reviewed/2

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

system protocol posted:

Building in a node 202 with a core I7-7700. Will the stock cooler be good enough? Going to be using it for video editing, and gaming.
I wouldn't. The stock cooler has a reputation for being extremely noisy and sometimes even thermal throttling on the high end i7s. Probably worthwhile to buy something low profile with heatpipes

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Is the processor at stock voltage? Assuming it is, I think probably either the thermal paste or the cooler mounting is the issue. Definitely carefully reapply paste and carefully remount cooler to make sure it is nice and snug on there. Don't stress about other stuff until you try that because I don't think you're likely to have to do anything more extreme.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

an skeleton posted:

kk, any recommendations for amazing thermal paste?

edit: do these voltages look about right? http://imgur.com/a/E3fwc
Doesn't really matter what kind of paste, they're all within like 1 degree of each other. Voltages look fine. Although you want to redo the paste when you remount the cooler, I bet the issue is more the cooler mounting than the paste. The other guy is right that it's pretty easy to mount a cooler so that it looks fine but it's just a bit loose, and if it's touching but not making firm enough contact things get really hot.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

SlayVus posted:

mITX case

29L without the feet, 40L with

very bad thermals
Absolutely pathetic. Truly terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Yeah most regular size desktops have warranties that technically don't allow you to go in and replace components, but generally they don't throw the book at you if you don't actually break anything or mess anything up they just want to have that option