Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rookoo posted:

I've got a corsair 250d which apparently is fairly large as far as MITX's go.

My build uses a corsair h100i V2 CPU cooler (Had to end up drilling two holes to mount the radiator) and it works well. The fans are set to intake air, along with the case fan in the front.

I have no GPU atm, and will be getting a GTX 1070 when it's out. I have to decide between a blower or not. I don't get the impression the blowers are very good when it comes to cooling and sound but I'm worried about a GPU intaking a load of air on the left side of the case too, so there's intakes on the left, right, and front, maybe making the PC hot.

Apparently having so much air intake just pushes it out the back more efficiently, which would be fine. What should I do?

FWIW and anecdotal, but I built my wife's system into a 250D, and a few different GPUs with 3rd party coolers didn't really fit (GeForce 780), so I ended up having to use a card that had dimensions pretty close to nVidia's reference cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'm really looking forward to the the Cryorig Ola, but it's just too bad that it'll be almost another year before it comes out. The Dan A4 would also have been nice if it hadn't ended up costing almost $300 to ship to the states.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

NoDamage posted:

At ~$285 shipped to the US that's a drat expensive case, are you willing to pay that much and wait until December for it? The extreme size of the case also imposes quite a few component restrictions, for example some aftermarket video cards with larger PCBs won't fit, and there's maybe a handful of CPU coolers that are compatible. For any case > $200 you'd likely want to get multiple generations of use out of it, and personally I think I would get pretty annoyed with playing the "does this component fit in my case" game every time I went to upgrade something in the future. Not worth the hassle just to save 1.5 inches on width and height compared to the M1, unless you absolutely must have the smallest case ever.

Also, that super long PCIe riser cable. I know supposedly he chose the best one, but I would maybe be slightly concerned about issues cropping up with that, which we won't know about until many cases are in the hands of many people with different motherboard/video card combinations.

Finally, it's the first run of a Kickstarter project. If anything goes wrong (as Kickstarters tend to do), you might be waiting even longer than December.

And even the M1 has limitations, with some wide GPUs with the power connectors on top not being able to fit due to the PCIe power cables not allowing the side panel to fit. People have had to cut down the plastic PCIe cable ends to get the sides to fit. That's why there's some excitement over EVGA's Power Link l-bracket that can allow the PCIe cables to connect on the end.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone heard anything more about the Cryorig Ola? It seems like after Computex they haven't said a word, while they have talked about the Taku.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

They don't really save space and they are slower. Regular sticks are inserted vertically while sodimms lay flat. Also they are limited to 2133.

Except that's not true, since there are 2666 and 3000 SO-DIMMs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

What uses does USB-C or Thunderbolt have in the desktop space? I mean for laptop it makes sense, you have high bandwidth for docking stations, external graphics, monitors and power. But in a desktop, you'd have all of that stuff on the computer itself.
If you have a monitor with multiple USB-Cs and some traditional USB type A ports, you could connect peripherals to the type As, and then have the monitor act like it has a built-in KVM for multiple systems being connected. This would be similar to LG's displays that have USB ports and Thunderbolt ports.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I just wish Cryorig would give an update on the Ola, because I'm that tool guy who wants to move his system into a cylindrical case.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

bacon! posted:

Are there any commercial cases that have a similar cooling strategy to the case in the Corsair system? The reviews I've seen of it say both the noise and cooling performance are quite nice, but the cons you mention are kind of a dealbreaker.

Probably the Silverstone Fortress cases currently, and at some point (maybe?) this year the Cryorig Ola.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have a Silverstone FT03-Mini and its not nearly as good. It only supports a 120mm radiator, not 2x240mm. That is a huge difference. Other than the only one case fan and vertical layout there's nothing similar.

Yeah, I misread the post. I wasn't thinking from an equivalent cooling factor, just from the general aesthetic approach of a vertical square-ish tower. I have the original mATX Fortress (now in a closet) and while I never had cooling issues, it's a pain to work with.

There's boutique cases of similar vertical arrangement available also but they tend to be expensive or hard to obtain.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I like the case but €230 is pants on head crazy.

Yeah, it's a nice looking case and tempting but $257 for a case is a lot...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I bet the Ola never sees the light of day again.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

What's the general view of the quality of the riser cables Silverstone uses in the Raven cases?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

It doesn't necessarily belong in this thread, but I picked up a Raijintek Thetis and re-built my system in it, and it's a pretty nice case. By far the smallest case I've ever owned that could still somehow take an ATX board. My mATX Z97 board still looks huge in it, but I did go with a SFX PSU to help with cable routing/management.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

This can't be understated. It's mental what people will pay for a 3770K or even a 2600K, let alone a 4790K.. basically, if it's less than 10 years old and is overclockable, there's a market.

Good to know, since I'm going to try to sell a 3770K and 4770K soon!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone here built a system using the Cerberus or Cerberus X? Thinking of moving my ATX system over to a Cerberus X, and now just trying to decide between the black and slate gray color options.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is anyone here running a SF750 with any of EVGA's 3080or 3090 cards that require the three 8-pin connections? I've been seen conflicting info about whether it's ok or not, with some sites saying it is, and others saying they don't recommend it.

I was hoping to step up to either the 3080 or a future 3080 Ti, but now I'm nervous about the safety of using three connectors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Not specifically a SF750 but I'm using a Silverstone SFX-L 700 watt psu with an MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio that has 3 connectors. I played Cyberpunk for hours with no issue. I haven't run any synthetic benchmarks, but if you use 2 cables (1 with a pigtail) you'll be fine.

denereal visease posted:

Three PCIE power cables should be fine. The people reporting problems are using two cables (with one daisy-chained) to make three connections.

Thank you both! I actually had previously picked up the individually sleeved cable kit from Corsair, so I do have 2x spare PCIe cables and can use one of them for the third connection.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think I've more or less decided on a 3070. I think it'll be "easier" to get one and wouldn't push the budget up too much and with the goal of having really solid PC performance, I think it's worth it.

One thing I'm seeing though is that a lot of these smaller builds stress how important cooling is, but it's omitted here. Should I look into that a bit too?

Why not the 3060 Ti instead of the 3070? You're getting like, 5% more performance with the 3070 over the 3060 Ti, but it costs 25%+ more.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

What about the Thermaltake Tower 100? https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any lower-profile tower air coolers that work well with the 5900X? I have a Cerberus X and currently have the half-mesh side panel, which worked well with a Dark Rock TF. But I want to change it out to the window panel, which would probably starve the Dark Rock at that point. The Cerberus X has about 148 mm of clearance/height available.

Alternatively I could do an AIO but that'd require placing the radiator on the bottom of the case...