Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
http://www.mmorpg.com/contests/linkrealms_sweeps.cfm

Free founders pack sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

:lol:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

so after this promo they will have a server population of 50 right?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
uhh yeah lmbo *mouses over submit*

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Is it just me, or does this look like a dinosaur wearing a hat with antlers getting ready to dunk on some chump of a goatman?

I cant tell if this game is a serious game for serious people with serious brain problems who dont realize how bad all their art is, or maybe its developed by some people who are in on the joke and just want to have a good time. I think Ill wait for the f2p release to find out.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i think that if it is a joke, its a bad one

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is it just me, or does this look like a dinosaur wearing a hat with antlers getting ready to dunk on some chump of a goatman?

I cant tell if this game is a serious game for serious people with serious brain problems who dont realize how bad all their art is, or maybe its developed by some people who are in on the joke and just want to have a good time. I think Ill wait for the f2p release to find out.
The player models and monsters actually own in a weird way, just like that image, but the backgrounds/maps are atrocious. Just look at this image in the op and ask yourself, if you don't get a headache just trying to look at it, "why is this so visually cluttered"

There is more focus on the bizarrely sharpened textures than there is on what's actually going on, and the very boundaries of it are completely unclear. Like where you can you walk and where can't you, why is the terrain more focused than the actual players/mobs, how the hell are you supposed to read text, and what is going on in the right side of the image? I am big on gameplay over graphics and like all kinds of games with lovely graphics and flawed stuff but come on.

No one who cares about their game could reasonably take that screenshot/concept art and think "this is something I should definitely not change, and I better release this to the public".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 21, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

uhh yeah lmbo *mouses over submit*

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Everyone thinks they want an UO successor, but no one actually does. UO is a loving chore to play. Back when you're 15 you can sink 12 hours a day into an MMO, but the people looking for the UO magic are moving into their 30s now. 99% of that demographic don't have time.

Anyone who plays this is going to get hosed up by the kids who can dedicate their every waking moment to it. Just like in every open PVP MMO.

I'm still going to buy this because I am a loving idiot. If we can get a goon group going we can be loving idiots together.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

This looks like one of those magic images you have to stare at for a few minutes and focus your eyes in different ways before it makes any sense. Can you spot all 3 (?) birds in this picture?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LegalPad posted:

This looks like one of those magic images you have to stare at for a few minutes and focus your eyes in different ways before it makes any sense. Can you spot all 3 (?) birds in this picture?

I found a nostalgia mmo dev stealing pills from a employee's desk, I think its actually a wheres wally knockoff

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

lolasaurusrex posted:

Everyone thinks they want an UO successor, but no one actually does. UO is a loving chore to play. Back when you're 15 you can sink 12 hours a day into an MMO, but the people looking for the UO magic are moving into their 30s now. 99% of that demographic don't have time.

Anyone who plays this is going to get hosed up by the kids who can dedicate their every waking moment to it. Just like in every open PVP MMO.

I'm still going to buy this because I am a loving idiot. If we can get a goon group going we can be loving idiots together.

So right, except I'm not going to buy this

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I thought this was a f2p game. What morons are actually paying money to play this before it releases?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

I thought this was a f2p game. What morons are actually paying money to play this before it releases?

The same ones who buy every full loot pvp mmo in pre-alpha, I still love you guys tho

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

lolasaurusrex posted:

My rude awakening came in Ark when I realized the people I was fighting were brazilian teenagers on summer vacation.

And yet, I still eat all this poo poo up.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

jabro posted:

How come every OP you make in here is the UO successor we've been waiting for?

forge posted:

LOL at this..

Berious posted:

I just made an account. See you in the verse guys

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Every MMO is the spiritual successor to UO, what an amazing age of MMOs we live in.

Snatch Duster posted:

He has a God Hole. Most people fill it with religion, others with money, and even a few with pussy. He fills his God Hole with UO successors.

I said come in! posted:

Why does this game look like an original PlayStation RPG?

Blazing Zero posted:

that would make a sick back tat

Lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I love all of you, every one of you, it's like the retard sandbox MMO crew (me too). It's almost like a... social... network???

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It's hard to imagine being excited about those screenshots and videos unless you're just looking for a newer UO.

Why would you want to be a dev to a game where most of your playerbase could just go "eh, I'll play on a freeshard instead" for what you offer?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Ruggan posted:

I love all of you, every one of you, it's like the retard sandbox MMO crew (me too). It's almost like a... social... network???

im not playing this extremely hosed UP browser mmo. well not until its f2p

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Blazing Zero posted:

im not playing this extremely hosed UP browser mmo. well not until its f2p

Do you really want to go back to this line of dialog?

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

So right, except I'm not going to buy this

If you've already put all your stupidity in the Albion basket, I implore you to take some out and put it in the Linkrealms one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
this is not what i waited nineteen years for go gently caress yourslef

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

this is not what i waited nineteen years for go gently caress yourslef

The other thing you may have waited 19 years for is your eve skill training que to complete, so maybe check that?

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
Doesn't the dev hand out free keys like candy via the website? There's no benefit to buying this game on Steam unless you really want everyone on your friends list to know you're playing this game. Yeah, maybe that's it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Digital Decay posted:

Doesn't the dev hand out free keys like candy via the website? There's no benefit to buying this game on Steam unless you really want everyone on your friends list to know you're playing this game. Yeah, maybe that's it.

I used this thread as a "Hey I referred potentially 1500 people" but I haven't heard anything back and no one has gotten free keys from that thread in about a week. Wonder if they're still doing it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I used this thread as a "Hey I referred potentially 1500 people" but I haven't heard anything back and no one has gotten free keys from that thread in about a week. Wonder if they're still doing it.

Getting people to sign up on their forum and threadshit is not referring.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Christopher posted:

I love how they fully expect no females to be founders.

Not true! They just have to accept an existence as low-tier "settlers" and look up to their lordly pvp masters...

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If someone wanted to make their own little Ultima Online, why did they have it looking like Third Dawn?

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
Got lucky with a free key and checked it out for an hour. One big difference I noticed is that trying to skill heavily into magic is a pain in the rear end because the dev decided it would be the coolest thing to have a handful of skills determining the efficacy of your spells. UO had like two skills, Magery and EvalInt. Reading the Steam forums, it seems that people prefer the Linkrealms equivalent of Necromancy because it only involves 2 skills. Great.

Linkrealms' version of Magery is Sorcery, which determines whether or not you succeed in casting the spell, then Abjuration, Alteration, Conjuration, Illusionism, and Invocation determines how big your numbers are for the various spells that belong to one or more of those subskills. That's a big chunk out of your 700 total skillpoints. Maybe some of those skills are useless and won't require skilling into.

Instead of spell reagents, you have charges on a staff that you need to equip. You can recharge your staff with vendor-sold orbs. The shown charges on your staff don't seem to update when you have it equipped so good luck knowing how many reagents you have left.

You can train a bunch of skills in the tutorial area but if you exceed some threshold then the game prevents you from using your tutorial weapon. That really sucks and you probably don't want that happening to you.

You can get quests from NPCs. Tools have charges. Monster loot and crafted gear have RNG attributes.

Most people in the starting area seemed to heal by eating food. Characters don't seem to ever become full. You can turn food into juice which increases healing efficacy.

While walking around the starting city, I experienced a bit of rubberbanding nostalgia.

That was my hour in Linkrealms.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:siren:Check your email:siren:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Alexander DeLarge posted:

:siren:Check your email:siren:

This post wins the Most Unnecessary Siren Post Ever Award.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

jabro posted:

This post wins the Most Unnecessary Siren Post Ever Award.

But we waited 19 years

Jazzcactus
May 17, 2004

Rising up from the heat of the desert!
Is this poo poo any good? Those screenshots say to me "Of course this will be a waste of your money"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jazzcactus posted:

Is this poo poo any good? Those screenshots say to me "Of course this will be a waste of your money"

Randomly select any open pvp mmo thread in hmommo and read the last page. The reactions there will be the reactions here within a year at the most.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

This thread will be in the goldmine by then

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Has anyone in this thread actually bought this game or are people just checking it for free keys

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Has anyone in this thread actually bought this game or are people just checking it for free keys

I bought it and played it for a couple hours.

It's actually okay.

Don't buy it on Steam though, if you plan on actually making a purchase. They sell non-steam beta access on the site for $5, and there is a guy on Kinguin selling Steam keys (not the free beta keys, they don't redeem on Steam) for like $3.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This looks like a surprisingly shittier version of Shards Online, which was already pretty lovely to begin with.

Why are the background/ground graphics 1/2 the resolution of everything else? I literally cannot tell what the hell is going on in most of those screenshots.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Good news guys, it's going

http://massivelyop.com/2016/10/02/linkrealms-is-going-free-to-play-on-october-10/

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
How did I miss this upcoming game of the year? Can anyone confirm if it runs on a 486?

• Locked thread