Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Long long ago there was Silence and it was all but then the Nameless One spoke, and Sound began. The two gods, Silence and Sound warred, each trying to overwhelm the other. The conflict raged for a seemingly endless time.

Eventually, tired of the struggle, the Nameless One stood between them. Sound and Silence clashed with the Nameless One, tearing into the powerful being. The torn flesh of the Nameless One coalesced into Stone and formed a great globe. The spilled blood splashed onto the globe, and formed the Sea. Finally, the conflicting aspects tore the eyes from the Nameless One, which lit with a great radiance and became the Sky.

Slain, the Nameless One breathed its last, and in so doing instilled the magic of life into the world that Silence and Sound had torn and rent into being. The final breath of the god accomplished what it could not, and stilled both into mere Elements, bereft of will.

Eons passed as life took hold upon the Sea and Stone. At first only simple life grew upon the world formed from the corpse of the Nameless One, but they became ever more complex. Eventually as, the Sky wheeled above life became more complex, having advanced from single cells into plants and animals.

The essence of life is change though, and the power of the Nameless One was not completely gone. The power gathered around pieces of the slain god...

Hey, Godgame. For the purposes of rules, I'll be using Fate Accelerated, but you don't really need familiarity with the system, as character creation is simple.

Prospective gods should have one Aspect (a short descriptive phrase explaining your temperament and godly portfolio) and they have control over 5 Elements: Silence, Sound, Stone, Sea, and Sky.
  • Silence governs the primal beginning, order, death, and is difficult to control. It lingers in areas where its once mortal enemy, Sound, has no foothold.
  • Sound governs thought, music, and life. It can be found in most things.
  • Stone is the bones and flesh of the world governing strength and resilience as well as solid matter. It can be found in most things
  • Sea is blood, transformation, and movement. It is almost always accompanied by Sound.
  • Sky is air, fire, and trickery. It is ever present, joining with Sea to make weather, Sound to make music, and Stone to quicken life.

Players pick one Element to master and one Element of weakness, all other Elements a character is neither strong nor weak in. A god always springs forth from their Mastery Element when born.

A sheet would then resemble the following (italic example):

God Name Epicurus
Aspect Lord of Cookery
Mastery Element Sky
Weak Element Silence
Descriptive text

For those of you more familiar with Fate Accelerated, a Mastery Element is an Approach with +4, and a Weak Element has +1, while the other Elements are +2. Stunts are not really applicable here, but may be added later. Also will be handling Fate points and Refresh a little different which I'll get into once the game gets going.

I'm looking for five applicants, and will keep a reserve if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kwyndig posted:

Long long ago there was Silence and it was all but then the Nameless One spoke, and Sound began. The two gods, Silence and Sound warred, each trying to overwhelm the other. The conflict raged for a seemingly endless time.

Eventually, tired of the struggle, the Nameless One stood between them. Sound and Silence clashed with the Nameless One, tearing into the powerful being. The torn flesh of the Nameless One coalesced into Stone and formed a great globe. The spilled blood splashed onto the globe, and formed the Sea. Finally, the conflicting aspects tore the eyes from the Nameless One, which lit with a great radiance and became the Sky.

Slain, the Nameless One breathed its last, and in so doing instilled the magic of life into the world that Silence and Sound had torn and rent into being. The final breath of the god accomplished what it could not, and stilled both into mere Elements, bereft of will.

Eons passed as life took hold upon the Sea and Stone. At first only simple life grew upon the world formed from the corpse of the Nameless One, but they became ever more complex. Eventually as, the Sky wheeled above life became more complex, having advanced from single cells into plants and animals.

The essence of life is change though, and the power of the Nameless One was not completely gone. The power gathered around pieces of the slain god...

Hey, Godgame. For the purposes of rules, I'll be using Fate Accelerated, but you don't really need familiarity with the system, as character creation is simple.

Prospective gods should have one Aspect (a short descriptive phrase explaining your temperament and godly portfolio) and they have control over 5 Elements: Silence, Sound, Stone, Sea, and Sky.
  • Silence governs the primal beginning, order, death, and is difficult to control. It lingers in areas where its once mortal enemy, Sound, has no foothold.
  • Sound governs thought, music, and life. It can be found in most things.
  • Stone is the bones and flesh of the world governing strength and resilience as well as solid matter. It can be found in most things
  • Sea is blood, transformation, and movement. It is almost always accompanied by Sound.
  • Sky is air, fire, and trickery. It is ever present, joining with Sea to make weather, Sound to make music, and Stone to quicken life.

Players pick one Element to master and one Element of weakness, all other Elements a character is neither strong nor weak in. A god always springs forth from their Mastery Element when born.

A sheet would then resemble the following (italic example):

God Name Epicurus
Aspect Lord of Cookery
Mastery Element Sky
Weak Element Silence
Descriptive text

For those of you more familiar with Fate Accelerated, a Mastery Element is an Approach with +4, and a Weak Element has +1, while the other Elements are +2. Stunts are not really applicable here, but may be added later. Also will be handling Fate points and Refresh a little different which I'll get into once the game gets going.

I'm looking for five applicants, and will keep a reserve if necessary.

Have to pull out of this one, sorry.

Juchero fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 20, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Micaiah, the Wellspring of Curiosity and Change

In the beginning, there was nothing. Not even me. Then, something happened. Something of a grand scale. The world was born. I was born. I... was bored.

So I explored the world from the sky. But I am large, fast, and strong. Soon, there was nothing left to see.

But there was more to explore. So I took another form. Small, slow, weak. But able to explore the holes of the world.

It took quite a lot of time, but soon I had seen everything worth seeing. So, I grew bored once more.

Since then, I have wondered... when will my curiosity be sated? Will I find something that is forever new and interesting?

If such a thing exist, I must find it.

quote:

Micaiah
Aspect: Winged Meddler
Mastery Element: Sky
Weak Element: Silence

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 20, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sound God with A weakness of Sky. Probably going to theme myself around languages, both spoken and written, human and animal.

Angelus - The Divine Scripture

God NameAngelus
Aspect The Divine Scripture
Mastery Element Sound
Weak Element Sky

In the begining, there was a word, and the word was

"Who"

In time the word came to be joined by others.

"Who"
"Am"
"I"

"Who am I?" The words asked themselves these questions. They did not know the answer, and so they waited. In time more words came, gathering and clustering, describing and defining. The mass grew and grew and grew, until a lone voice echoed amongst it's question.

"Angelus" It said. And to prove it, it inscribed itself with the name. All of those words that had gathered to define this being, were sucked into this one simple inscription. And thus, did Angelus come to be. She looked about herself, the world was strange and undefined. What was Angelus, if everything else was without measure? So she reached out, and began to use the words, the same words as of her birth to add definition to the uncertainty. Until she could perceive the world as it was.

But still she could still not answer the question. So first she told the ground of itself, that it was 'strong', that it was both 'hard', and 'soft'. That it was 'earthy' and 'loamy', and all things the ground could be. As she spoke her voice rang clear and true, inscribing the words into the ground and the ground understood it was as it was. Such did Angelus walk, singing to the world, to tell it of itself, and to answer the question.

To give it clarity where there was uncertainty. In time she found that she could describe was was not, and make it so. Crafting new things from the words that had not existed before. She would define and describe all things, and in doing so finally truly answer the question.

"Who am I?"

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 19, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, because this came up in IRC and I forgot. There's no intelligent life on the planet yet, at least, not to the extent of tribes of primitive people wandering around. There are plenty of non intelligent animals, birds, mammals, reptiles, fish, etc.. The world itself still contains traces of the Nameless One's power that didn't form into new gods that creates strange, miraculous places, some of which may be aware.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

God Name: Nar'Ran Who Is In Twain
Aspect: God of Discord
Mastery Element: Sea
Weak Element: Stone

The spilled blood splashed onto the globe, and formed the Sea. And though the battle between Silence and Sound ended soon thereafter, the Sea continued to fight with itself, pulling and pushing, this way and that, endlessly roiling. It fought with the Stone, too, creeping forward onto beaches, into rivers, even sending itself into the Sky to rain down upon Stone for resisting. That conflict, forever clashing, gave birth in itself, to a being so divine, so wondrous, so beautiful, that all are drawn to it, and...

No no no! That's not how it happened! The Great Sea Whale Thogr and Isoclastic Ra'allth mated once, in the greatest depths of the Sea, and so great was their mating that nearby Forrenulous Mite bore us out! We swam then with all the beings of the Sea and celebrated rightly our existence!

Forrenulous... who? Stay thy tongue! It happened my way, yours is but a fable!

Nay! Mine! Or... close enough... There definitely was some swimming.

Aye, I'll at least agree to...

Or not! We have no need to swim, for we are great and glorious and benevolent!

Then how do we get around, oh One Of Great Knowledge?

We... well, we float of course.

Under the sea?

Yes!

We really need to meet another, don't we?

I don't see why you would come to that conclusion.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 23, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pictures is good, I like pictures.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hmm. If I apped for this, I wonder what I'd app as....

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hod, the Mountain Beneath
Cleaves to Stone and Scorns the Sound.

A chthonic god interested in creating an underworld, being a figure of strength "holding up the world" from below, as well as potentially involving in any death/rebirth cycle. Still working on a mythos.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

To all things there is a Way It Is Supposed To Be. A way told in the first principles that were. A beginning and an ending and a purpose. Such is the Way and no other may there be. The one who watches and sees to it that so things remain is the one called BELELETH.

God name: BELELETH the grinding eon
Aspect: God of Order and the Way of Things
Mastery Element: Silence
Weak Element: Sound

In the void there was the all seeing eye of BELELETH. And with the all seeing eye of BELELETH the void was observed.

And so it was in the void that the celestial bodies danced in the void as they were Wont and the bits of dust gathered together as they were Wont and BELELETH saw this and knew it was right and the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

On a gathering of being sat the eternal essence of BELELETH. And with the eternal essence of BELELETH the gathering of being was felt.

And so it was on the gathering of being that the stones and rocks broke into shapes and in shapes they stayed as they were Wont until they broke into dust as the waters and the winds struck on them as they were Wont and BELELETH saw this and knew it was right and the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

On the gathering there was a fifth thing also. The all seeing eye of BELELETH turned to see this new thing but it tricked the eye by hiding and turning see-though. The eternal essence of BELELETH sat and felt the new thing but it tricked the essence by hiding in the Stone and Sea and Sky so that only those were felt.

And then BELELETH knew this was not the Way It Is Supposed To Be for all things were to be seen or felt. And so it was that BELELETH merely sat and watched no more.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yay applications!

I'll give everyone a few more days to finalize their myth/personal creation legend and then start the game properly on Friday.

Watch this thread!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At the Dawn of the Second Age

The endless struggle of the elements, Sound and Silence, Stone Sea and Sky, abates for a moment as something new arrives. Unaware, the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the great ocean pay no heed to the new intelligence born into the world that remains of the Nameless One. Deep in the forests, nimble primates shudder, almost, but not quite, aware and on the cusp of awakening. In the great ocean massive creatures gliding between the deeps and the surface let out a mournful song as they too sense the change.

Born of Sky, born of Sea, born of Stone, born of Sound, born of Silence, new beings emerged. In days to come they would be praised or cursed as Gods. In these, their formative moments and the short time after, they stretch out their Awareness and discover their Power. The Awareness of the new gods grows to cover the entire world, from the blazing dead eyes of the Nameless One to the depths of its still bones. Their Power touches all corners of the world, and brushes against one another, and so the new gods became Aware of one another.

The whisper of the Nameless One fills the ears of the new gods. "All these things I leave to you, my children. Rule wisely and well."

Crisp map

Blurry imgur version

Map courtesy of Donjon Fractal World Map generator

There are no secrets from your eyes.

There are no worshipers or potential worshipers now. You may uplift an animal species with your actions, the primates of the forests or the whales of the oceans would be the easiest, as they will evolve into potential worshipers in time even without intervention.

Because you have no worshipers, you have no Fate Points.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 27, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
You might want to move that map to imgur or something. It is not displaying on my end currently (also might be image leeching?).

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yo. Already posted and wrote this in a bunch of place, but:

My internet is out and there's nothing i can do to fix it. I don't know when it will be fixed and won't be able to do much in the way of posting until it does.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Angelus looked up from her act of defining what she had named "Grass" and upon the Nameless One as he passed on the future to them. Gods, many of them. She could feel them, becoming aware of her.

She could feel the pull of curiosity. But she had work to do. There was so much to define. So much to mark! She would keep working and then see if one of these Gods would aproche her.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 1, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

A gargantuan bird flies overhead, bringing with it the wind expected from a moving entity of this size. Likely to nearly blow Angelus away, the bird lands, and lowers its head down to her level, as best is possible. It inspects what the god of much smaller size is doing with intense curiosity.

Post goes here as soon as I get my internet back. Consider making an IC thread proper?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 1, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Still interested, but my post will have to wait until the 31st due to exams.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

The winds were whipped hard as the mighty creature flew overhead. Angelus shielded her eyes from the dust it kicked up. Until the great bird sat observing her with eyes that sparkled with curiosity.

"My my my, I'm going to have my work cut out with you. Speak creature! Have you been named yet? Do you know what you are?" Words flickered around her, questions and answers, descriptions and certainties. Could this be one of the nameless one's children?

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 1, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

It looks at the words, somewhat confused. trying to grasp one with it's giant talons, it... wait, it just grabbed one of your words! Looking at it closer, then discarding it again. And again. Eventually, it just plucked letters out of the words until it finished one word on the ground. The choice of words and letters seems a lot less deliberate and more whimsical.

MICAIAH

You can tell the words aren't actually, like, damaged, but they're... jumbled. Anyway, the bird seems to let out a happy chirp. From what you can tell considering the volume. It's... kind of loud.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 4, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

BELELETH

And so it was that whilst the all seeing eye of BELELETH could see the dust that swirled the heavens and the eternal essence of BELELETH could feel the emptiness of the void, there was the thing that was called Sound that the all seeing eye of BELELETH could not see and the eternal essence of BELELETH could not feel. And BELELETH knew this was not the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

But BELELETH knew that the World had come from the dusty clouds and empty voids of the firmament, where Sound held no sway. And thus BELELETH would make it be: all that was and all that would be, would to void and dust return, in time.

OOC: Trying to make death and the eventual entropy of everything be inescapable facts of reality, if that is not clear.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Narrowing her eyes at this... Micaiah, Angelus gathered her words back too her. How had she done that? Well clearly the creatu- Micaiah was inteligent enough to spell it's name. Even if it was loud enough to shake the trees. She winced, understandable really.

"Quieter. I'm only standing here. No need for so much noise. So you are Micaiah? I am Angelus, the words made me, and now I must define what exists within this world. Or else all would be chaos, and confusion. Would you help me with this task?"

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 1, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Caw?" Micaiah replied, seemingly confused. Also, still loud.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 4, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Nar'Ran

Eh? A voice suddenly fills the heads of Nar'Ran, granting... well, many things, of many sorts. And with it, the knowledge of the the end of the Nameless One. "Good riddance! - You cannot say that! - I can say whatever I please! - Well, one would think one would have more sense than to wish ill of the Nameless One! - Sense is never a given! - Clearly!"

And then, another sense filled the heads. Others... like them. Beings of power... "Oh my, we are not alone! - Well, we can't be alone, we have each other! - Will you always take my words with such meaning?!"

After a great and lengthy debate, Nar'Ran decided to travel towards the closest being, who seemed to be deep in thought. After surveying the being from afar, they came to the conclusion that it was doing something quite serious indeed. And... with such a sense of finality. Nar'Ran approached the being, appearing as a set of identical deer, with large ornate antlers, one as black as night, the other as white as snow. Then, they spoke, "An end to all things? For what purpose? - Well, it's clear that this thing likes endings - But endings mean... end! - How clever of you - I mean, that endings mean an end to everything, to us, to them, to discord - Oh well that is quite serious then, is that okay to have? - Well... we could always try to change it - How would we do that? - Not quite sure, but follow my lead! - NO! You follow mine!"

Another few moments of arguing settled the matter, and Nar'Ran began to weave together a creation of its own. As this fellow being created voids out of Silence, and pathways towards them, Nar'Ran introduced the notion of Silence only allowing for Sound to have greater effect. If there is no Sound to conflict with, then the one making Sound rules unopposed! Hence, as long as there is Sound to be made, Silence can never truly end. And, when multiple Sounds mix together, well, isn't that what everything is?

Messing with BELELETH's effort to create an ending to the universe. Aiming at reincarnation through "will" aka willing to make Sound.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"I know you understand me." Angelus said, pressing her hands to her ears and lessening her hearing. That would make it a little more comfortable at least. "The..." She raised her hands and let the words define what she was looking at. A 'Giant' 'Bird', 'Great' 'Powerful' 'Curious'. She made these things so, at least this way she could better understand Micaiah. It was too undefined, hazy at the edges. Maybe now she'd have an easier time speaking to it. "The Giant Bird act is very unbecoming. I know you're smarter then you're pretending to be."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Seeing Angelus cover her ears made Micaiah realize that perhaps this form is unsuited to conversation. The bird shrunk and shrunk until it was in a shape not unlike Angelus'.

"Bird! I bird. I fly. You want fly? Fly with me!"

It's starting to dawn on you that perhaps she doesn't speak a lot due to being in bird shape a lot, which isn't suited to speaking.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 4, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"You seem ill suited to speaking. But you are by no doubt a child of the Nameless One. Very well Micaiah, I will fly with you. My name is Angelus, and if you wish, I can teach you to speak?" Angelus gestured, writing herself wings of golden words. 'Graceful' 'Fast' 'Light' 'Feathers' 'Flight' these and more were woven into them. Though at first they felt awkward and clumsy, Angelus adjusted, adding new phrases to them until she felt like they could bare her through the skys.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meddling in the Fabric of Reality

Two gods tug on the warp and the weft of things... and feel each other's intrusion into the higher realms. Shocked by the momentary contact of conflicting natures, reality rebounds slightly, returning its shape to what it was originally, at least, it feels the same as it did before the God of Order and the God of Discord worked their wills upon it. The center, for now, holds.

Theantero roll -2+4=2, Frgrbgr roll 0+2=2, tie, no noticeable change. Entropy is slightly stronger, Souls (if they exist) have a slight chance of reincarnation. The general motion of the universe, however, is to continue with things living and then dying, and with that dying transform into something that is not alive.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Micaiah nods regarding his offer to teach her to speak properly. But, since she was already transformed again, she didn't reply properly. Instead she just takes off, towards a certain point in the distance. A large, expansive forest, in the distance. On arrival, she returns to her humanoid form.

"Interesting. Look!" she tells Angelus, pointing towards the forest of apes. In it we appears to be yet another Child of the Nameless one! And it appears to be using a creative of Silence. Order... so boring. Something must be done!

(Hi Beleleth! Mwahaha.) Going to try and meddle (using Sky) with his uplifting (in the next post) to make their penchant Sound and make them free-willed instead of his Servitors, but do not otherwise stop him from uplifting.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 4, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

And so it was that the thing that was known as Sound struck back against BELELETH and the World had refused to change. BELELETH knew that this was not the Way It Is Supposed To Be, and the thing that was known as Sound was to be punished and eradicated. But the thing that was known as Sound had turned see-through so that the all seeing eye of BELELETH could not see it, and had hid itself inside the Sea and the Sky and the Stone so that the eternal essence of BELELETH could not feel it.

For this reason, the all seeing eye of BELELETH turned towards the creatures that walked upon the Stone, as they were Wont. Creatures with blind eyes and muddy minds and transient essences. In many ways they were lesser and beneath notice but they were made of the Sea and the Sky and the Stone and thus the thing that was known as Sound hid inside them as well and perhaps they could thus find it and see it where BELELETH could not.

And thus BELELETH would make it be: The creatures that walked upon the Stone would be given eyes as bright as the stars and minds as clear as the void and an essence that knew to seek and destroy the thing that was known as Sound wherever it lay in hiding.

OOC: Uplifting some apes as servitors to BELELETH with a penchant for hating Sound.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LIFE

Ripples of power spread throughout the world, touching the apes of the forest. A small extended family of medium sized apes, moving from tree to tree, shudder and fall.

Wracked with pain, the apes move to scream, but Beleth's power severs their vocal apparatus and their mouths open silently and then close in understanding. Their paws twist and spasm and toes elongate into fingers, splitting into five fingers. Their heads crack with pain as the skulls reshape and the brains expand. This transformation takes several passages of the sun and moon, and finally, the Silent Ones emerge from the undergrowth.

Ultimately unharmed by the transformation, the Silent Ones look up to the sky, their hands moving in silent supplication to their creator. They begin by sacrificing a handful of songbirds, ending the cacophony of the hated warbling, chirping, and singing with sharpened sticks after first catching the birds with crude nets woven from clinging vines.

At this point Micaiah arrives, and sees the crude sacrifices the Silent Ones have made. She draws upon her power and attempts to instill in them a love of Sound... and fails. Instead, the Silent Ones cower in fear at her appearance, so like their sacrifice to their creator, Beleth. Their hands move as they communicate with a language of gestures and symbols, calling her the Evil One, and they flee.

Time passes, as is its wont, and the gods, wrapped up in their own thoughts and strange inklings, notice it not as they recover from their great deeds.

The Silent Ones have spread over a few generation and built a small civilization in the treetops. They make tools of wood and blunt stone, but do not dig into the earth or use fire, as both are anathema to them. The vast majority make sacrifice unto Beleth, although they are not driven by godly power to do so. Instead, they do so for protection from Micaiah, the Evil One and her creatures of Sound, who they now fear.

In any society there are rebels though, and this one is no exception. Unable to make Sound with their bodies, a handful of the Silent Ones have taken to making tools using wood and animal parts to create music, which they dedicate to Micaiah. In the dead of night, these lonely songs ring out from isolated huts at the edges of the treeline, far from the priests of the Silent Ones.

Beleth is extremely successful, and has uplifted a race of furred apes to full intelligence. They communicate using sign language and a limited form of emotional telepathy primarily used to draw attention to each other when they wish to 'speak'.

At present, Beleth 'owns' the majority of the souls of the Silent Ones (you may name them something else if you wish) and has thus earned 2 Fate Points from their worship. You may spend them one at a time to increase your power on specific actions as long as it matches your Aspect.

However, Micaiah's meddling has not been completely unsuccessful, as a smaller contingent of the Silent Ones have awakened a love of Sound and now belong to her, earning 1 Fate Point.

The concepts of Protection, Sacrifice, Evil, Dedication, and Music are of particular note, as the Silent Ones have incorporated them into their two opposing religions. At present the Dedicated of Micaiah are not known to the Protected of Beleth, although the Dedicated are aware of the Protected.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

On one fateful night, the Dedicated of Micaiah once again played their lonely songs. This time, however, was different. Why, you may ask. It's simple.

Tonight, their god was in attendance. Eagerly listening to their songs, she notices a common theme. Sadness. Loneliness. So... boring. Their current state seems to greatly make them suffer. No, they deserve better, Micaiah thought. And so, she decided to liberate them from their current fate.

Singing and dancing through her followers, she awakens her divine energy to change her followers, once more. They begin growing wings, become thinner, more colorful, more lively. Soon, they become unrecognizable of what they used to be.

The deed done, Micaiah beckons her new creations to follow her as she takes off to the skies, bringing them to the highest forests on the highest mountains. With this, they are no longer the Silent Ones. They are Tengu.

Going to relocate my followers to somewhere safer, as well as turn them into something more reminiscent of the Sky domain.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

And so it came to be that the all seeing eye of BELELETH saw that Silent Ones had in the anger given to them excised from themselves the thing that was known as Sound, and for this reason it yet eluded BELELETH. On this BELELETH reflected and concluded thus: striking in anger was not the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

The eternal essence of BELELETH pondered upon this revelation , until the day when the all seeing eye of BELELETH saw an agent of the thing that was known as Sound leave the woods. The small songbird, that BELELETH had regarded as an enemy. Yet the thing that was known as Sound did not spite it and took refuge in its form in a way that it did not do with BELELETH. Perhaps there then was wisdom in its ways.

It came to pass that the eternal essence of BELELETH came to rest upon a mountaintop above these strange new creatures and their patron, and would watch their ways for an age.

And thus BELELETH would make it be: From the midst of these people a number would know his call. They would feel the Silence within them, and in contrast to Silence they would know and see what the thing that was known as Sound was. And through them, so would the all seeing eye of BELELETH

Planting sleeper agents within the Tengu to help BELELETH figure out this whole Sound thing. Who knows, maybe he'll actually learn to talk or something :v:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Angelus watched, curiosity bringing inaction, as the two species diverged and were uplifted by the two gods. This watching eye was a silent god. It did not speak. It did little but watch. But all the same she felt such confusion from it. So much that it was difficult to understand it's motivations. Regardless though, she had a duty, and while Beleleth sat on his cliff, she went to his ape children. They spoke not, but they used their hands to speak. Words all the same.

Angelus approached, and walked amongst them. She knew they feared Sound. Though that was her domain. She named them. Defined them. And when she was done, she inscribed her words for them into a stone at the centre of their settlement. In time, they may make their own words. But for now, she would gift them with a start, and leave it to them to continue from there.

This done she make the trip up the cliff. To the Tengu, and their bird god Micaiah. She had been slowly teaching the creature language with which to speak. Though the tongue of the gods was beyond mortals. She could at least make the same gesture to the Tengu. She named them, defined them, and on the cliffside left different markings. From these markings she taught them to speak, a rudimentary tongue, beaks are not as adaptable as lips. They would in time craft their own more complex words. But regardless there was one last thing she must do.

Angelus ascended to the top of the mountain, where the watching eye sat. She bowed before it in greeting. She could feel the silence radiate out. It met her sound in the middle. Two gods of opposite ends of the spectrum. She gestured in the air, letting the Words speak for her. After all, what conversation could be had with a god of silence?

'Greetings, child of the Nameless one. I am Angelus, the Wordsmith. I would ask of you your purpose here?'

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The all seeing eye of BELELETH turned, for from the Sky there emerged yet another agent of the thing that was known as Sound. But the all seeing eye of BELELETH could see that this one was different from all those past. For in this one the thing that was known as Sound was not hiding in the Stone and the Sea and the Sky but stood alone and naked. And so it was revealed to the sight of the all seeing eye of BELELETH and to the sensations of the eternal essence of BELELETH that the thing that was known as Sound held a meaning to it. An Order to it. It held a beginning and an ending and a purpose. Having regarded its true form, the all seeing BELELETH could now see it ring and sound in all the places where the Stone and the Sky and the Sea held sway. BELELETH pondered this, and concluded as thus: this was the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

Armed with this new insight, BELELETH mimicked Sound. It was a cold thing, monotone, lacking inflection and warmth. A quiet, crude imitation. But it was a Sound, nonetheless.

ɪ ᴀᴍ ʙᴇʟᴇʟᴇᴛʜ. ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴇs ᴛᴏ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ɪᴛ ɪs sᴜᴘᴘᴏsᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ. ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴇs ᴛᴏ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʜᴀs ᴀ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ᴘᴜʀᴘᴏsᴇ.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Nar'ran

The twin deer wandered for a while, surveying the land. There were meant dull beings upon it, incapable of communication, or so they thought. Bored, the deer went to the shore and dove in, becoming as the wet ones are. There, the twins danced for a time among the denizens of the deep, consorting and playing. They became drawn to the largest among them, for these animals had a penchant for making wondrous Sound.

Nar'ran then mated among these beings, spreading through them the knowledge to argue and debate and ridicule. And the song the creatures had made turned to communication, and the creatures became beings.

Getting busy with whales to make Sea civilization.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Birds and the Babies

Burning with a radiance to outshine the stars, Micaiah touches the Dedicated amongst the Silent Ones. The fire of her presence seared away their fur, causing feathers to bloom in their place. Flesh melted and reshaped under her gaze, and the Tengu were born. She took to the air with a cry for her new followers to join her.

Tentatively, the Tengu took their first steps and stretched their newfound wings. One by one they croaked out rough cries as they took to the air. Soon, they practiced how to use their new wings and voices on the long flight to the high mountains, and they all raised their voices to the air. With the guidance of their goddess, they roughed out a new, spoken, language combining tones and beats. It was a very rhythmic language, capable of great beauty.

Meanwhile, in the depths of the ocean, the God of Discord, Nar'ran reached the great leviathans of the deep. The twin aspects of the God sired and gave birth to many new, smaller, beings. They gathered around their divine parent in their multitudes and joined their voices in a new song. They began to use their new more nimble bodies to dive both deeply and ascend highly to gather materials.

Time passes and the Tengu become fascinated with the pure tones from striking strange glittering rocks together. They discover and quickly master fire and make the first steps into metallurgy. In the lowland forests the Silent Ones learn how to breed plants and animals to make them easier to harvest, more fruitful, and most importantly to them, less noisy. In the ocean the Folk learn to gather shoals of fish and build shelters against sharks.

Beleth's link to some of the Tengu remains, but at a more unconscious level.

Nar'ran gains 1 Fate Point from the unorganized worship of the Folk (you can rename them if you wish). Micaiah gains an additional Fate Point, bringing her to 2 Fate Points. The Tengu are entering the Bronze Age as Hunter-Gatherers, and the Silent Ones have discovered both Agriculture and Selective Breeding. The Folk have learned basic Animal Husbandry, but have no real technology.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

And thus it came to be that the all seeing eye of BELELETH had seen a glimpse of Sound and the eternal essence of BELELETH had felt its touch. Sated thus, the all seeing eye of BELELETH focused once more on the Silent Ones. The people that had been given gifts to fight against Sound, a task that had proven unnecessary. To all things there was a Beginning and an Ending and a Purpose and a Way It Is Supposed To Be. The Silent ones had just Begun, and were not to yet End. These things were clear to BELELETH. But their Purpose was hazy now that Sound had proven to not be an intruder. BELELETH pondered upon this, and concluded as thus: Though to all things there was a Beginning and and an Ending and the Way It Is Supposed To Be, but they knew it not. The World knew it not. Only BELELETH knew. But the Silent Ones were of the World. They could be the way for the World to know of itself and the way of things, if they were taught. BELELETH pondered upon this and knew it was the Way It Is Supposed To Be.

And thus BELELETH would make it be: The Silent Ones would know of Purpose, the way of the World and how it all knit together. In their minds the Purpose of things would be made clear.

Right, so BELELETH is teaching the Silent Ones about Purpose. Purpose, to BELELETHs Orderly mind being logical, strict adherence to the rules of nature. Basically giving them an inborn knack for understanding mechanics, tool use, abstract mathematical thought, cause and effect and such things. I'd assume they'd have a sort of reverence for these rules as well, taken their patron.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 6, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Nar'ran

As they swam among the new beings, which they called Deeplings, one of the twins grew bored. "This is fun and good, but what about the others above? Care you not about how they shape the surface? - Bah! I am happy here, among the Deeplings! Look at that hut! It is a great hut. - Nay it is not! It is lacking! I could smite it in one shove! - You'd better not, it's my favorite hut! - I'll show you!"

With that, Nar'ran split in two, Nar among the Deeplings, and for a while Ran wandered searching for a kind to call its own. Ran soon discovered a new kind of sea creature, one whom it enjoyed even greater than the Deeplings. They were a smaller creature, but more nimble, and swam in groups among the waves at the top of the ocean. They laughed and played in long periods, caring deeply for one another. Ran found a new home among them, driving them forward, showing them the ways of the Deeplings, but also a new way. Ran was happy, calling them the Wavelings.

After a time, the Deeplings and Wavelings became aware of each others' existence. Nar and Ran, now separate, incited both of them to Discord. A great war was soon among the beings of the Sea.

Creating a new race out of dolphins, and also setting them against the whale people. Mostly for evolutionary reasons, getting them to advance quickly together as they fight.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Seeing her work done for the time being, she once again slip out unnoticed. For the time being, she returned to the forest of the Silent Ones. She still pitied them for their boring, ordered, Silent lives. Trying to show them the joy of Sound, she creates illusion of music, forever trailing among the wind of the forest.

And with that, she merely seats herself on a large branch and curiously observes what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Blood in the Water

The God of Discord is aptly named. A new intelligent species comes into existence in the upper reaches of the great ocean, born into conflict. The first war begins as Deeplings and the new Shoreward, incited by their shared god, come to blows. For the first time since the great conflict between the Nameless One, Silence, and Sound, blood is spilled in mortal combat with intent. The conflict rages on for generations, neither side giving or even understanding the concept of mercy. This conflict pushes both people ever forward with new discoveries.

The Deeplings find the smoking vents at the bottom of the ocean, and begin to harness these dangerous fires to make tools and weapons while the Shoreward learn how to make short trips onto land to gather wood and rocks to do the same. Daggers turn into spears and then harpoons with cruel barbs. Both sides begin to fashion shields and crude armor, with the Shoreward having the advantage of using lighter wood shields while the Deeplings' larger bodies let them carry more and deadlier harpoons with heavier metal armor.

All the while this war wages unseen to the surface world, the Silent Ones and the Tengu continue to lead their separate lives. The Silent Ones have a sudden explosion of logic and reasoning, as the first Natural Philosophers arise from their ranks. These men and women are possessed of a great curiosity in how the world works, and set out to study the relation between them and the natural world. These early steps are almost lost however, by the interference of Micaiah.

The impossible music of the wind in the trees has a devastating effect on the Silent Ones at first, messengers swing too and fro between the treetop villages and early cities as the leading Philosophers and Priests are contacted for an explanation, any explanation. Soon, explorers discovered that the strange music could only be heard in the forest winds, and not in the winds of the mountains or the plains.

With heavy heart, the Silent Ones came to a single, baffling, conclusion. They must leave the forest. They packed up their belongings, gathered their herds, and destroyed their homes. Some traveled to the plains of the west and the north, others to the mountains of the east, a few brave hearted souls even built crude boats and headed south across the sea. All of them built new settlements and spread across the world.

Meanwhile, the Tengu continued their slow progress and made their own music. Little did they know that soon the other branch of their family tree would be knocking on their door. Would it be in peaceful trade, or war? Only the Gods know for sure.

• Locked thread