Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

What does "gamer" mean to you, is it just someone who plays video games? or is there more to it than that?

and what separates a true "gamer" from a "casual"? what qualifies someone as a gamer and what should someone look out for in their own habits if they don't want a light foray into gaming to become a part of their overall identity?

"you might be a gamer if..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A true gamer keeps their butthole lubed at all times.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Brainiac Five posted:

A true gamer keeps their butthole lubed at all times.

This is doubly true as a Gaymer.

courtesy of rushi

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
a true gamer plays the video games, and enjoys the act

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if you play games a lot and talk about them on forums constantly and watch trailers and listen to several hours+ of gaming podcasts ever week

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
If you like to play games. Any games. It's what you do for fun.

I'm making 'em, myself.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A (wo)manchild who bases their identity on consuming products

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lotta fake gamers neglecting Article One of the Gamer Credo, quoted above.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A gamer is someone who uses videogames as a substitute for developing a real personality.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
A “gamer” is someone who bases a large part of their identity on the fact that they play games. I think it's pretty dumb to plaster that kind of label on yourself, because being known only by virtue of your gaming habits is pretty limiting.

I like movies, but I don't wrap my whole identity up in the fact the I enjoy film. I like games, but I would never call myself a “gamer.”

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Brainiac Five posted:

Lotta fake gamers neglecting Article One of the Gamer Credo, quoted above.

Look we all keep our buttholes lubed constantly, but haven't you ever considered if there's more to it than slick anuses?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Look we all keep our buttholes lubed constantly, but haven't you ever considered if there's more to it than slick anuses?

If there is more to the world then maintaining a silky smooth anus then I don't want to hear about it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HighwireAct posted:

A “gamer” is someone who bases a large part of their identity on the fact that they play games. I think it's pretty dumb to plaster that kind of label on yourself, because being known only by virtue of your gaming habits is pretty limiting.

I like movies, but I don't wrap my whole identity up in the fact the I enjoy film. I like games, but I would never call myself a “gamer.”

somebody else would probably call you one though

like isn't that the thing with labels? you don't just get one so if you split your time between writing rants in CD and sending death threats on Twitter you could be both a movie buff and a gamer

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
The word just feels like a throwback to a by gone era where "gaming" was a hobby you had to seek out. It wasn't something all around you. With smartphones,tablets and consoles being the norm in a lot of homes, video games are something everyone plays. Moms and dads across the world are flinging birds at boxes and barrels and now everyone is a "gamer". Its also a great way for capitalism to sell poo poo to people which is one of the biggest reasons the word is still used. MOUNTAIN DEW GAMER FUEL!!!!(TM)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

video games are a distraction from the capitalist establishment to dilute the political consciousness of the workers

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I wouldn't.

Anyone who defined themselves as "movie watcher" or "book reader" would get laughed out of the room, same should happen to anyone who defines their identity as a gamer.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Gamer is a term invented by the corporate industry and used for marketing purposes. There is no historical precedent for the gamer identity until the gaming industry needed one to satisfy the needs of investors and marketers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pound_Coin posted:

I wouldn't.

Anyone who defined themselves as "movie watcher" or "book reader" would get laughed out of the room, same should happen to anyone who defines their identity as a gamer.

There are entire careers based around being a "movie watcher" and "book reader". Plus tons of people define themselves as "movie buffs" and "bibliophiles" without anyone batting an eye.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Who What Now posted:

There are entire careers based around being a "movie watcher" and "book reader". Plus tons of people define themselves as "movie buffs" and "bibliophiles" without anyone batting an eye.

There's a difference between doing something as a job or even hobby and basing your entire personality on it, being a movie buff is fine, but jamming it into every single conversation, basing your entire being around it? yes, those people exist and they're just as insufferable as gamers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If the term "Netflixer" ever caught on, I expect something like 70% of the under 35 crowd would describe themselves as such.

But this is the real answer:

Famethrowa posted:

A (wo)manchild who bases their identity on consuming products

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The foundation of non-gamer criticism is: Man makes video games, video games does not make man. Video games are, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce video games, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Video games are the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against video games is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is video games.

Gaming suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Video games are the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of video games as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of video games is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which video games are the halo.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

A sure sign of a gamer is someone who takes time off work for major video game releases.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sex idiot posted:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:allbuttons:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

A gamer is someone who remote controls Gerald Butler

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A gamer is someone who self-identifies as one. It's a way to claim you belong to a group. Christian, gamer, furry, it's all the same.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Pound_Coin posted:

I wouldn't.

yeah i've never heard anyone identify as a "bookworm"

certainly not in a proud, positive manner, no sir

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 20, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gamers are people the state gaming commission was set up to protect. They play slots, keno, you name it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Imagine if someone who enjoyed surfing or skating based an identity around their hobby and created a label for it by plastering -er onto the end.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

duz posted:

A gamer is someone who remote controls Gerald Butler

That movie is great for having the Dexter actor suddenly do a musical number out of the blue.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

Imagine if someone who enjoyed surfing or skating based an identity around their hobby and created a label for it by plastering -er onto the end.

To be fair "surfinger" and "skatinger" sound pretty dumb.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SedanChair posted:

Gamers are people the state gaming commission was set up to protect. They play slots, keno, you name it.

I thought they were members of the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Gamers are people who self-identify as gamers. Those who self identify typically have characteristics X, Y, and Z. Some of those are not positive characteristics.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this thread is a serious post or we're all just farting around, but here's my two cents:

I would define gamer as someone who exclusively or majorly constructs their identity as someone who enjoys/plays video games. For a certain part of my pre-teen and teen years I think I would have described myself as a "gamer" -- although I don't think we ever called it that. It wasn't as though I didn't have other interests, I played tennis, I read books, I liked movies and music and TV, but at the end of the day I spent most of my time reading about video games and thinking about video games and playing video games. If someone randomly asked me on the street, "what are you into?" "Video games" would probably be my first answer.

These days...not so much. I've definitely transitioned into a casual gamer...if I even clear that bar. I'll play a video game maybe once a month or so? It's not my identity anymore.

Of course there is (what I would consider) a whole sub-set of "gamer" culture that a lot of people assumes come with the title...the geek clothing, the jorts, the neckbeards, the mountain dew, the collecting, the toys, poor hygiene, social awkwardness, etc etc. I think a lot of that is dependent on the individual. I certainly never owned jorts or had a neckbeard or drank dew or never showered or anything. Of course, I went to some LAN parties back in the day and there were dudes who fit some/all of those stereotypes to the t. I honestly think some of that is just misplaced peer-pressure and the desire to fit in a group. If all my friends are wearing Ralph Lauren Polos in high school it will probably make me want to wear Ralph Lauren polos. If all my friends are wearing geek clothes then load me up on Mario tees.

I think there's a lot of sturm und drang about gamer purity "He/She/They're not a real gamer maaaaannnnn" because there's not much you need to do to claim you're a gamer. You just go out and buy a gaming system at Wal-Mart or have a computer at home and ta-da you're a gamer. Contrast this to something like surfing. If you claimed you're a surfer and then went out on the waves and you can't even stand up on your board people could easily identify that you're not a real surfer. Or at least not a surfer in the traditional accepted sense. There is no such test for gamers. It's not like in order to call yourself a gamer you have to prove you can beat Rainbow Road on SNES Mario Kart in a certain amount of time or whatever.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

this is a real gamer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i think a label can apply to a person even if they don't "self identify". it's often clear when playing and discussing games makes up a significant portion of someone's life in addition to their encyclopedic knowledge of wresting and comic books.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i like video games but being a grown adult i dont have much time to play them

looking forward to total warhammer tho ;)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sex idiot posted:

Lady torso figurine for a zombie game.

:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/ID68mMu.jpg
:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Whatever definition gets me further from Reddit GamerGaters and their MRA antics.

• Locked thread