Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Like does it shorten thr csts life? Does it make them less attractive to other csts? Reduce their killing power? Give me something here

What do tHey just look less happy afterwards? Do they get depression because they feel inadequate as a car?

maybe. you sound so confused! i wish i could help you i really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i don't have a cat but i would leave its claws on so if a burgler got in maybe it would scratch its throat and kill it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tom Gorman posted:

i don't have a cat but i would leave its claws on so if a burgler got in maybe it would scratch its throat and kill it

This is the best argument ive heard so fsr kudos

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

What is quality of life for a cat exactly
Declawed cats have higher documented rates of negative behaviors that in simple terms basically indicate they're perpetually stressed out. More skittish, prone to biting, less likely to display stuff that indicates they are happy, etc. Animals can be anxious, depressed, etc, just like humans and declawing cats is linked to that.

Beyond that declawing is linked to stuff like chonic pain in their paws, larger instances of joint issues because they literally change the way they walk, complications from the surgery itself as well as a slew of other issues.

You can read about some of it here:
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/LiteratureReviews/Documents/declawing_bgnd.pdf

or google yourself. But yeah it's a completely unnecessary surgery to cat ownership and really shouldn't be done unless it's down to someone wanting the dump the cat.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a dog burst into my garden while i was chilling with my cat and attacked my cat and my cat scratched his gay face, and it got the gently caress outta here

cats need claws

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

Declawed cats have higher documented rates of negative behaviors that in simple terms basically indicate they're perpetually stressed out. More skittish, prone to biting, less likely to display stuff that indicates they are happy, etc. Animals can be anxious, depressed, etc, just like humans and declawing cats is linked to that.

Beyond that declawing is linked to stuff like chonic pain in their paws, larger instances of joint issues because they literally change the way they walk, complications from the surgery itself as well as a slew of other issues.

You can read about some of it here:
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/LiteratureReviews/Documents/declawing_bgnd.pdf

or google yourself. But yeah it's a completely unnecessary surgery to cat ownership and really shouldn't be done unless it's down to someone wanting the dump the cat.

Maybe they're depressed because they have to hang around you

Either way sounds like we should just kill the cats then

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Opm9b2WDk

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
seems fine to me do as you will it is after all but a cat declaw it reclaw it the cat is your oyster

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shaquin posted:

seems fine to me do as you will it is after all but a cat declaw it reclaw it the cat is your oyster

Agreed

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jesus christ do people detooth their pet dogs to stop them chewing on things too? Train your cat not to scratch poo poo, ya dopes

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You can make a cat scrathing mat or pole or tree or whatever out of easily scavanged materials if you live in a crumbling poo poo hole or purchased wuth currency if thats your thing

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I leave the claws on my cat and if it scratches me it gets a punch in the face.

Just like nature intended!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

Maybe they're depressed because they have to hang around you

Either way sounds like we should just kill the cats then

Cats like me but tbh I dont like them, much more of a dog guy. When I was in highschool I worked in a vet hospital for a couple years which is why I thought it was laughable someone honestly thought vets would propose unnecessary surgeries for money of all things, as if they wouldn't have just gone into human medicine if that's what they're after. Vets get paid poo poo and there's basically no reason to become one outside of loving animals cause you'll literally be in your 40's and 50's still working off the debt from vet school unless you own your own practice.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think declawing cats is kinda hosed up and cruel, so I've no objections to this law.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think declawing cats is kinda hosed up and cruel, so I've no objections to this law.

Do you support people dumping their cats on the street?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

its not either or dude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

katlington posted:

You can make a cat scrathing mat or pole or tree or whatever out of easily scavanged materials if you live in a crumbling poo poo hole or purchased wuth currency if thats your thing

Taken from the 400,000 entry long list of things you can do that your cat will ignore out of spite I assume?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Taken from the 400,000 entry long list of things you can do that your cat will ignore out of spite I assume?

u been reading the Little Golden Book of Cat Stereotypes again

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Post the cartoon Honkey!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

JiveHonky posted:

its not either or dude.

It really is sometimes, that's why many veterinarians oppose bills like these. There's no way to retroactively point at an irresponsible pet owner and undo adopting a kitten. The sad reality of life is people who shouldn't own animals do and this creates lose/lose situations where the best we can do is go with the least bad option. I do not support declawing and I think my posts itt make that very obvious but it's plain naive to think you can outlaw it and that will improve anything, the people who care enough not to declaw cats won't be affected but the people who don't will just either shelter their adult cats (in all likelihood they will never get adopted and will simply be put down) or worse toss them on the street.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
gently caress all of you

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

It really is sometimes, that's why many veterinarians oppose bills like these. There's no way to retroactively point at an irresponsible pet owner and undo adopting a kitten. The sad reality of life is people who shouldn't own animals do and this creates lose/lose situations where the best we can do is go with the least bad option. I do not support declawing and I think my posts itt make that very obvious but it's plain naive to think you can outlaw it and that will improve anything, the people who care enough not to declaw cats won't be affected but the people who don't will just either shelter their adult cats (in all likelihood they will never get adopted and will simply be put down) or worse toss them on the street.

nah

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Pet ownership is slavery. Unless they are free to leave whenever they want I guess

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I'd like to think we can find a practical solution to the stray cat problem AND the urban hunger issue in one fell swoop.

EDIT: what the jesus why is it only now on the page I post upon that horrifying cartoons are posted

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Declawing is illegal in the UK.

Just like being happy is.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like often people see something with no good reasons and forget that there can still be bad ones.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
JiveHonky what happened to your AV I liked it. Who is this imposter AV?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

spud posted:

JiveHonky what happened to your AV I liked it. Who is this imposter AV?

Some prankster bought a bunch of us in the EN thread this white dude avatar. Nobody knows who did it.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

Some prankster bought a bunch of us in the EN thread this white dude avatar. Nobody knows who did it.

get your poo poo together its sandy clough

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Trim cat claws, rub cat drugs on scratching post, give cat a treat, now your stoned cat will only scratch the cat post and have a great time

It's not that hard you loving spergs

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I ruined my own furniture by scratching it up

then I wouldn't have a problem with it being legal to cut off the tips of my fingers and toes

cats are rear end in a top hat animals

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

If I ruined my own furniture by scratching it up

then I wouldn't have a problem with it being legal to cut off the tips of my fingers and toes

cats are rear end in a top hat animals

Nope.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

if your cat's an rear end in a top hat, maybe you're the rear end in a top hat

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Business Gorillas posted:

if your cat's an rear end in a top hat, maybe you're the rear end in a top hat

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i'm reading this thread and i'm wondering if the lack of empathy for animals i'm seeing from some posters here is a symptom of sociopathy or autism

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
cats are stupid loving animals who gives a dick about cat right and cat feelings. maybe i can manage to give a gently caress about cats when we solve all the problems of actual people until then find a worthwhile crusade you stupid kittyfuckers

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Gobblecoque posted:

cats are stupid loving animals who gives a dick about cat right and cat feelings. maybe i can manage to give a gently caress about cats when we solve all the problems of actual people until then find a worthwhile crusade you stupid kittyfuckers

like i give a poo poo about the opinion of anyone with a measly two probations in five years lmfao!! get back to me when your balls drop

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
cats are good pets they poo poo on all your stuff but more often than not you really really deserve to have a cat making GBS threads on the stuff you left on the floor

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

JiveHonky posted:

gently caress all of you

I don't care about cat claws but for posting this drawing you should probably have all of your extremities cut off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
How does cat climb without claws?

• Locked thread