Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
Problem description: Brief: bluetooth headphones are stuttering and unpairing. Long: Back in December, I got a B-trek H9 pair of bluetooth headphones. http://www.sentey.com/en/b-trek-h9-ls-4560/ They were working great (no lag, no stuttering, long reception range) until about last week. Now it begins stuttering or even unpairs from my bluetooth radio while I'm at my desk. The intervals seem random. It seems like the strength of my connection has decreased? I used to be able to walk all around my house with perfect headphone clarity. I also use a bluetooth keyboard + mouse (Logitec MX 5500) that has it's own designated USB bluetooth radio. It has not been stuttering but there was noticeable lag that was synced with one rather bad occasion for my headphones.

Attempted fixes: When I first began using bluetooth years ago I got a USB extender/hub to pull the radios away from my tower. I've tried updating bluetooth & headphone drivers, disabled the headset functionality in the windows playback/recording devices, made my headphones the default output device, turned off all windows sound enhancements, unplugged the wifi ethernet adapter for my other computer, made it so windows cannot conserve power on USB ports through device manager, unpaired & repaired my headphones, rebooted several times. When I paired the headphones to my phone, they worked just fine aside from ~1/10 second of lag when hanging songs or input, but I blame my phone hitting a wet brewery floor several times for that bit.

Recent changes: Only major changes I can think of are that I recently moved into a house, set up a second rig in the room below me with a wifi ethernet connection, and tried Steam streaming for the first time. The headphones worked great for the first two weeks since I moved in, So I don't think they're scared of their new home. I don't normally have my second rig on unless I'm using it, I've even taken to unplugging the wifi adapter from the USB port out of paranoia from this issue. I think the Steam streaming is what may have caused the issue, but I can't think of a reason how that could make sense.

Given that my mouse on a seperate bluetooth radio was affected, I wondered if it might be a neighbor with some sort of wireless/bluetooth radio. My neighbor on one side is rarely home and I don't have a neighbor on the other side of me. The wireless signals I detect on my phone are not nearly as strong compared to my router (Belkin N150) and my router has never affected my headphones in the past.

{b]Operating system:[/b] Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: If this is relevant, let me know. I don't know why it would affect the issue if I haven't changed my rig in months.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Could my bluetooth dongle have gone bad for some random reason? Or is my sanity just slowly leaking away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My main advice is to get everything using WiFi onto the 5Ghz band and shut off the 2.4Ghz band so it can be reserved solely for Bluetooth. Note that Bluetooth built into a WiFi adapter uses the same radio as 2.4Ghz WiFi, so you can't use Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz WiFi at the same time on the same device*, so either use 5Ghz WiFi or a separate Bluetooth adapter.

*It will try to simulate this by "time sharing", rapidly switching between WiFi and Bluetooth. This can work for sending commands but not streaming audio.

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
The only setting I see to modify my router's bandwidth are 20MHz & 20/40MHz. No new firmware updates available either. Am I missing something there?

Just realized that my wife's steam controller broadcasts on 2.4Ghz but when I unplug her receiver, I still get the stutter.

My USB bluetooth dongle is bluetooth only. No WiFi functionality. Device manager hides many settings. I've disabled my bluetooth devices under network adapters. It seemed better for a while but began stuttering again.

Any other ideas or settings I should check? The fact that this issue is inconsistent makes it annoying to test. I think I fix it sometimes, then it comes back :smith:

Thank you for your help.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When you "unpaired and repaired" the headphones in Windows, did you actually delete them from the Bluetooth device list and then add them as a new device?

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
Not sure about that. When I unpair the headphones, they no longer appear in device manager or playback/recording devices. Is there some place else I should be looking for the device after it's been unpaired?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am running Windows 7 and a pretty basic Bluetooth install, so I'm not sure it is going to be 100% comparable, but these are what I am referring to:

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
When I unpair it, it is removed from that list. I can find it anywhere unless it is paired. It does show up if it's turned off though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Then you're probably accomplishing the same thing - it was just a thought based on the minor issues I've had that seemed to be even possibly related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyraen
Feb 20, 2009
Welp, 90% sure I fixed it. Apparently I needed to uninstall my bluetooth device via device manager. Didn't even reinstall it. Haven't had it stutter in ~an hour, & I can use my headphones throughout the house again.

Thank you for all your help.

Edit: Just kidding. Life hates me.

Pyraen fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 24, 2016

• Locked thread