Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:siren: THAT MEANS CLASSIC, TOO, SINCE IT'S NATURAL :siren:
:siren: THIS DOESN'T END UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1ST, STOP ASKING :v:

MANDATORY FIESTA LISTENING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2016 thread! In its fourth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One)

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway or PM me your twitter handle on SA and I'll give it to RK so he can have Gilgabot request to follow you. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FFVFiesta on SynIRC.

Also, this year, forums poster Reiterpallasch made Enkibot! A riff on Gilgabot, you plug your jobs in to the app and it spits out advice based on your jobs. Collaboratively contributed to by those of us in IRC. (join IRC)

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count, heh)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regrand #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2016?

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733092154671669248

(it is yet unknown if you are allowed to blame god)

There is also Upgrade, which is mutually exclusive with Natural, but is still bad. RK's words:

quote:

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

Also also, 750 and No 750 are now modifiers! You can do CHAOS NO750 BERSERKER RISK and this is probably going to be hilarious.

Additionally, everything is still being run through :sigh: the official 4JF Subreddit.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

2014 Infographic:

2015 Infographic:

Unlike in years, I will not be maintaining a list of winners or donors in the OP, sheerly because of the absolutely ridiculous volume of winners and donors. You guys were entirely too skilled and generous for me to keep up with. I'm really sorry. This does NOT mean you guys are off the hook from watering the Berserker Tree! Always more berserkers. Always.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Y'all made fanart. For the Fiesta. You're all the best. :swoon:

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod (no mechanical changes, but does unlock all jobs at the start for Chaos mode games)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes) (changelog)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

:siren: STOP ASKING ABOUT THE SEALED TEMPLE GOD DAMNIT JUST READ THIS INSTEAD :siren:

thanks alcharagia :h:

alcharagia posted:

hello this is a post about the sealed temple.

"It's my house!"

WHAT IS THE SEALED TEMPLE?

The Sealed Temple is an extra dungeon added to FF5 in the GBA version, and iOS if you're a stupid idiot who plays iOS. It is full of postgame-y nonsense, palette swaps, puzzles, and Enuo. He's a worthless piece of poo poo, so he also starts with P, it works.

WOW! SOUNDS LIKE FUN! CAN I DO IT?

Probably not, because you need a very specific set of job circumstances to perform a Sealed Temple Fiesta run. Source: I did it.

OH NO! WHAT AM I GONNA NEED?

In order to complete the Sealed Temple, there are two specific jobs you must have and one condition the other two must fulfill.

#1: You must have Thief.

I steal only what I can't afford! (That's everything.)

There's an area in the Sealed Temple that requires you to use Dash in order to get past. Obviously, this means you must have Thief. Congratulations! You can steal!

#2: You must have Beastmaster.

There's a certain annoying jackass in the Sealed Temple who is insistent that you Catch a Behemoth in order to progress! Beastmaster is the class that does that!

<--- A Behemoth.

#3: You must have either a source of non-elemental magic damage or White Mage.

"My, that's rather specific!" you might be thinking. "Why do you need that?" Here's why you need it:

"OH YEAHHHHH"

This OBNOXIOUS FUCKER is named Archeodemon, and he will destroy you. Why? I'm glad you asked, Timmy! Archeodemon absorbs all elements, and is undead and counters all physical attacks with Death which fully heals him, and he has 62,000 MP. Ergo, if you have neither Reflect (to bounce the Death counters) or magic damage (to... damage him,) you actually cannot kill him! He has 62,000 MP! (kyro note: you can still ether trick him - and yes, he'll cast Death in reaction, lol) And Mega Flare! You won't live that long, I'm sorry. Also you have to beat him to fight any of the Temple's three superbosses.

The classes which fit this category are Black Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Chemist, Bard, and Blue Mage if you're interested in playing level shenanigans with a level 17 enemy.

SO IF I HAVE ALL THAT, CAN I BRING A BERSERKER IN TOO?! I LOVE BERSERKERS!!!

Go ahead, Timmy. Go right ahead.

Also watch out for dragons.

I AM SINISTAR. BEWARE I LIVE

Fiesta season is here! :toot:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I was considering not doing Berzerker risk for a change of pace since I've done it the last two years, but then I read that Everhate passed away earlier this year, so I gotta grab some of the 'zerkers that he would have. :(

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hell yeah. It's competing with the delayed release of the SE of a certain Strategy RPG but I'll still give my all this year. Just my all is less than usual. :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

after a few years of this, I'm thoroughly convinced that Berserkers are a much better job to receive than Red Mage at any and all points

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lovely Senorita posted:

after a few years of this, I'm thoroughly convinced that Berserkers are a much better job to receive than Red Mage at any and all points

It's been posited a few times that if RK knew better it would be Geomancer Risk, not Berserker Risk.

May he never ever figure this out. :ohdear:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's been posited a few times that if RK knew better it would be Geomancer Risk, not Berserker Risk.

May he never ever figure this out. :ohdear:

Ah, yeah, crossposted from the FF Megathread:

Schwartzcough posted:

Geomancer risk?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This Bartz the Light Warrior has become Foreverial Tiedup Bartz and he was fully delitized with his organs and inside and literally his whole body changed into a permanent living bologna version with permanent living bologna organs and insides and a permanent bologna, ham and cream cheese tongue.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

alcharagia posted:

This Bartz the Light Warrior has become Foreverial Tiedup Bartz and he was fully delitized with his organs and inside and literally his whole body changed into a permanent living bologna version with permanent living bologna organs and insides and a permanent bologna, ham and cream cheese tongue.

Good luck with 4 berserkers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sweet. A friend was speaking about streaming a co-op run so I may do that in addition to my usual solo run.

May work a bit on my secondary guides (Status Effects, Blue Magic, etc.) for the build-up to the fiesta beginning.

e: Also once pre-regs go up I'll donate last year's Fartz donations to add five Berserkers to the pile. Don't have any plans for other donation gimmicks yet if I do any.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Getting a geomancer whatever year I did made me intensely sad

I think I would prefer berserker over it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mega64 posted:

Sweet. A friend was speaking about streaming a co-op run so I may do that in addition to my usual solo run.

Co-op runs are super fun and I recommend them to everyone who can tolerate playing the game without a fastforward button

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

that run actually had a berserker, geomancer, and red mage I thnk

Somehow I finished that thing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

voltcatfish posted:

that run actually had a berserker, geomancer, and red mage I thnk

Somehow I finished that thing

Jesus Christ I'm sorry.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That is some required listening in the OP!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I haven't played FF5 in like 6 years, so I kept meaning to do a replay during the FJF, but every year I was caught up in some military obligation and was without my computer for large chunks of the summer. This year I am out of the military and have all the time in the world on my hands. I am super hyped for this to finally happen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looking forward to another Fiesta.

I will name my first run BACON in honor of Everhate. RIP Quadzerker. :smith:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Did my first fiesta last year, had a lot of fun with my 9 runs.

Looking forward to this year. :)

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Always an excellent way to start off the summer! Looking forward to whatever terrible things happen this year! :v:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

last post

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I hope this year, if I feel like a second run, I actually complete it.

I have a terrible habit of starting then abandoning second runs for some reason.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This year I'll beat the game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

all i wont for is random and chaos w no duplicates

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

One of these years I'll go read the rules and actually do this.

Maybe it'll be this year???

Hard to when you've never played FFV though v:shobon:v

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mabels big day posted:

This year I'll beat the game.

i believe in you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm pretty burned out frm the last few years, think i'm going to do a kawazu marathon instead. please have fun, everyne participating

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

All I want this year is to not get a Samurai again. I got Samurai the past two years, and while I love the class and everything, it's just too easy at a point.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
oh god is it this time of year again? :hellyeah:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

zolthorg posted:

all i wont for is random and chaos w no duplicates
I really want a chaos with no duplicates. I pulled duplicate ninjas on my only chaos run last year and it's just so boring getting a class twice.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Ah man, I can't wait for this to start. I hope the secret command is 4 zerkers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm ready to work out with my zerk out.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Huzzah! posted:

Ah man, I can't wait for this to start. I hope the secret command is 4 zerkers. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Can't tell if serious...

4 Zerkers is "hard" in that it requires an incredible amount of patience to grind levels and hold fast-forward on your emulator and then load state a million times until the RNG stars align, all while having no input on battles outside of gearing up beforehand. It's the "incredibly tedious and soul-sucking" kind of hard, rather than "proving how much of a great gamer you are" hard.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't tell if serious...

4 Zerkers is "hard" in that it requires an incredible amount of patience to grind levels and hold fast-forward on your emulator and then load state a million times until the RNG stars align, all while having no input on battles outside of gearing up beforehand. It's the "incredibly tedious and soul-sucking" kind of hard, rather than "proving how much of a great gamer you are" hard.

The Berserker life isn't about making sound, well thought decisions.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
I would be extremely surprised if the secret command isn't 4zerk.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i kinda wanna try this out this year despite never having played ff4 before. is the GBA game the best way? a store near me has a copy for like $45 but it's still sealed. i don't really wanna unbox it but at the same time...i do.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yes, the GBA version is the best version.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

secret command wont be 4 zerk it will probably be something novel like only terrible classes or only team comps that finished the least number of runs from previous years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Someone clue me in when the secret command gets found :shobon:

• Locked thread