Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

Thief wouldn't be so bad, because at least you could put Artful Dodger on the berserkers.

Thief and berserker is awful in the early game, especially if you get bard or ranger for your third job. Byblos is nearly impossible with only thieves and berserkers unless you grind your rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if I get bored enough, I'll go over a few of the walls that exist for certain team compositions, such as Byblos for low-ATK teams

just know that if you roll three berserkers for your first three jobs, then congratulations! you get to suffer the hell that is Sandworm! :suicide:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Last year I had to use exclusively Geomancers and Berserkers until the Earth Crystal. Sandworm and Soul Cannon were not fun experiences.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lovely Senorita posted:

if I get bored enough, I'll go over a few of the walls that exist for certain team compositions, such as Byblos for low-ATK teams

just know that if you roll three berserkers for your first three jobs, then congratulations! you get to suffer the hell that is Sandworm! :suicide:

I'm the guy who fought Sandworm 91 times last year with an all-Berserker team. It's no loving joke.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm the guy who fought Sandworm 91 times last year with an all-Berserker team. It's no loving joke.

Sometimes you just gotta pray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJxVJxNTQY

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Any links to or consensus on the best sponsored speedruns to watch?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Yesssss I'm so excited. I talked a buddy of mine into making the FJF his first run of the game too, so that'll be fun!

Now to convince him to do BERSERKER RISK :black101:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alkarl posted:

Yesssss I'm so excited. I talked a buddy of mine into making the FJF his first run of the game too, so that'll be fun!

Now to convince him to do BERSERKER RISK :black101:

Christ, do you want this to be his last fiesta?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Not really 4JF related, but did RevenantKioku ever do that FFT run people donated for last(?) year?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't really tracked one of these as they happen. Do most of the charity donations come from stream watchers and the like, or does RK donate for everyone who completes a Fiesta, or what?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ciaphas posted:

I haven't really tracked one of these as they happen. Do most of the charity donations come from stream watchers and the like, or does RK donate for everyone who completes a Fiesta, or what?

There's usually a pre-registration drive where every $10 donated adds a Berserker to be doled out for #BerserkerRisk. Then people will make pledges based on various things, from runs/superbosses completed to more bizarre stuff (I did a pledge last year where I donated a dollar every time someone beat the game with the name "Fartz") and pay out accordingly. There's also a job fair where you can pay money to change your job if you don't like your current one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Airspace posted:

Not really 4JF related, but did RevenantKioku ever do that FFT run people donated for last(?) year?

Two years ago, and yeah, he did it in bits and pieces on his Twitch stream.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So let's start the most important thing: brainstorming what we're gonna call Bartz.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Barfz

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Butz.

Why would you call him anything else?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Prism posted:

Butz.

Why would you call him anything else?

We have Y-burns, and we have Butz.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

So contemplating the "secret command":

Everhate was one of the people who, last year, completed the mythical 4-Zerk Run. In fact, he was the first.
Everhate passed away recently.
Everhate was a prominent figure in the speedrunning community, and "Blame Everhate" was (still is?) a pretty prolific meme in several speedrunning circles, most typically RPG speedruns.

Chances are these things are connected, especially considering Gilgabot's coy "you have no one to blame" bit at the end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That'd be a cute homage and sounds quite possible for reasons you outlined, but also incredibly unfun to play so I hope it isn't that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Countblanc posted:

also incredibly unfun to play

RK has allowed Natural and Classic runs to continue existing, so it's obvious that Gilgabot cares not for your concepts of "fun".

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
That's why it'd be a hidden command, because chaos demonstrated that people will lemming into anything that sounds interesting.

Hard to keep hidden though, so if it's that (and I think it is) I expect a lot of them to be started and unfinished.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

That's why it'd be a hidden command, because chaos demonstrated that people will lemming into anything that sounds interesting.

Hard to keep hidden though, so if it's that (and I think it is) I expect a lot of them to be started and unfinished.

Chaos is the best, though. People play chaos because it's good and fun.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, but I mean more the fact that people were 100% all in with Chaos before we even knew what it did.

Like, we had guesses, but nothing concrete.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Yeah, but I mean more the fact that people were 100% all in with Chaos before we even knew what it did.

Like, we had guesses, but nothing concrete.

And the main guess was right, minus a detail.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We sure do. There's a reason my Twitch logo is, now and forever, Team Y Burn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So let's start the most important thing: brainstorming what we're gonna call Bartz.
"a goat"

...someone post the screenshot of that Gilgamesh line where someone else actually did this :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I need Adamngolem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"a goat"

...someone post the screenshot of that Gilgamesh line where someone else actually did this :allears:

I will do this because it made me laugh out loud but should it be capitalized as you say it or A Goat or A goat or

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 21, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Fartz or Butz is a nice go-to name, but honestly I usually name them some version of numbers so that I can remember what run this save state is from.

So basically I turn FFV into Gundam Wing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Still planning on naming my first run this year BACON.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I think I'll call him Larry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm going to call him Prince.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's almost definitely quad berserker for Everhate. :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733817915246411776

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/733818536003391489

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Well Buttz is good, but so juvenile. So clearly we need to go even more juvenile with other parts of the anatomy.

Boobz.

Edit:

Kyrosiris posted:

It's almost definitely quad berserker for Everhate. :unsmith:

That's a very nice sentiment. :unsmith: I'm still gonna pass.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think I'll call him Larry.

I mean not everyone has just started marathoning the Ace Attorney series but I know I'll at least be doing this. (does this make Lenna Maya, since her dragon becomes Phoenix? :v:)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I mean not everyone has just started marathoning the Ace Attorney series but I know I'll at least be doing this. (does this make Lenna Maya, since her dragon becomes Phoenix? :v:)

You know, I hadn't, but that does sound like a good way to kill time until the Fiesta kicks off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ciaphas posted:

I will do this because it made me laugh out loud but should it be capitalized as you say it or A Goat or A goat or
I believe it actually happened last year, I know I saw the screenshot. It was all lower case to make it "'tis no beast, just a goat!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Genocyber posted:

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

Personally I use VBA-M, though that's not everyone's cuppa. Works fine for me, though.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Hello thread and countdown to Fiesta. I'm really bad at FFV. Can't wait. Team risk. Naming mine TRUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

• Locked thread