Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

VBA-M or Bizhawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe it actually happened last year, I know I saw the screenshot. It was all lower case to make it "'tis no beast, just a goat!"

I still stand by naming him "dear" for the most patronizing of dialog.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

mGBA

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

well thats lame and boring but so is regrand and regchaos without the option to remove duplicates

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I recently started playing the dumb games in order again and knowing this is coming up will hopefully give me the drive to finish the godawful unfun slog that is 2.

Now, to chaos or not to chaos.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

KataraniSword posted:

So contemplating the "secret command":

Everhate was one of the people who, last year, completed the mythical 4-Zerk Run. In fact, he was the first.
Everhate passed away recently.
Everhate was a prominent figure in the speedrunning community, and "Blame Everhate" was (still is?) a pretty prolific meme in several speedrunning circles, most typically RPG speedruns.

Chances are these things are connected, especially considering Gilgabot's coy "you have no one to blame" bit at the end.

So what, #reghate?

...Yeah. I think i'm going to try it out. I mean, 4 berzerkers can't be all bad can it?

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I think I'll participate officially this year. I ran an unofficial chaos style run last year and had a lot of fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there any good ffv rom hacks? I know there was that one with the "Hero" job where Galuf turned into Wolverine but I don't really know any others. Ideally something for the snes version but I'm not picky.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

zolthorg posted:

well thats lame and boring but so is regrand and regchaos without the option to remove duplicates

Random can't have duplicates. Duplicates are part of the fun of Chaos.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's Ancient Cave, which turns it into a rogue like. It's pretty cool.

E: w/r/t romhacks

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ, do you want this to be his last fiesta?

Piffle, my first fiesta was regchaos BERSERKERRISK and I was fine with two of them. Even did it on an actual GBA cart, triple crowned.
(pay no attention that I lucked into the absolute best other two classes as support: Bard/Summoner)

I hope Dragondarch does the pre-Fiesta kickoff stream again so Kyrosiris gives us their spectacular running commentary on IRC again this year. I learned so many creative and vicious insults :allears:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 21, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ, do you want this to be his last fiesta?

One berserker is seldom a bad thing. It's only when they start piling up that you have problems. Or when you get monk/thief for wind and a late fire job :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Random can't have duplicates. Duplicates are part of the fun of Chaos.

REGGEO and REGRED

you can make it happen. EVEN MORE SECRETS. v:gonk:v

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015

Archenteron posted:

I hope Dragondarch does the pre-Fiesta kickoff stream again so Kyrosiris gives us their spectacular running commentary on IRC again this year. I learned so many creative and vicious insults :allears:

I look forward to using the !dd command many times again this year.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Never forget the World 1 grind that took about an hour and a half, leaving DD a full three quarters of a world behind all the other runners. And then proceeded to grind through the Gil Turtle cave for more money because reasons.

And the amazingly :downs: plan for the Crystals from... 2014, was it?

Oh, and this from last year.

Kyrosiris posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha, he loving doubted me last night when I told him to just use the Assassin's Dagger. WHO'S UNRELIABLE NOW! :unsmigghh:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 21, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Dragondarch ran Drakkhen of all games at RPG Limit Break a week or so ago. He has the record on SDA.

The reason he makes bad choices w/r/t grinding and boss strategies is that he's completely insane.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Funny thing about Dragondarch's run was that it actually wasn't that bad an idea. He steamrolled the game from that point and didn't have issues with Exdeath, while two of the guys had to get lucky (and the other unlucky) to get through. But then after DD hits the Void he realizes he forgot to get the last three weapons and the extra time cost him a good bit. :doh:

I wonder how the run's going to be handled this year.

e: For context for those who don't know, last year four people had a race to see who'd beat the game first. Three people had similar ideas of rushing the game and then grinding in a late-game dungeon while Dragondarch spent a lot of time grinding a World 1 encounter. He fell behind for awhile obviously, but he was overpowered enough to crush the rest of the game after that, including the World 2 end boss that is usually a huge pain to fight. DD could've won if one of the guys didn't get crazy lucky winning against Exdeath (and if DD didn't forget to grab the weapons before entering the final dungeon, of course).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 21, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah honestly if DD hadn't forgotten to get the last three weapons he might've gotten second, he was pretty close to catching them since everyone else had to grind in the Great Sea Chasm for a while.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
So if this is my first playthrough of FFV and I want it to be metal as gently caress and stream the thing I should register for Chaos and BerserkerRisk?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

karn1635 posted:

So if this is my first playthrough of FFV and I want it to be metal as gently caress and stream the thing I should register for Chaos and BerserkerRisk?

YES

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

karn1635 posted:

Absolutely.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

karn1635 posted:

Absolutely. Just make sure you can handle a berserker, because you're getting (at least) one with risk.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

What are some predictions/hopes for The Run's four chosen classes this year? Last year had Monk/RedMage/Ranger/Dancer.

I'm torn between voting for Beastmaster and Geomancer. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What was the year before's?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Good question... I have no idea. Is there a thread still around somewhere? The Run isn't listed in the infographics.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Thread of the year, all years. Happy to be fiesta'ing again this summer, although due to a new job and a newer daughter I probably won't do seven runs again.

Can't wait for :black101: BERSERKERRISK :black101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

2014 had Monk, Beastmaster, Dancer, and something else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd love to see a team where DD has the best opportunity to do something dumb. Beastmaster would be good, for example.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I'd love to see a team where DD has the best opportunity to do something dumb. Beastmaster would be good, for example.

Two hours of hashtag grinding! :byodood:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

"Sword dance is the best form of damage we have on this team!" ~ Dragondarch, 2015 on a run with Rangers.

I look forward to betting that some RNG shenanigans he comes up with fails during the run, seeing the Wonder Wand fail was the best $50 I ever spent.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm probably not doing a berserkerrisk this year

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

2014 had Monk, Beastmaster, Dancer, and something else.

2014 had two seperate team builds for Puwexil and DD, voted in seperately and thrown out if the two had a tie. (Everyone wanted them to have zerks, so nobody got zerks.)

Puwexil had Thief/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon (aka Team 'good luck doing damage in world 1').
Dragondarch had Monk/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Dancer (aka Team 'gg you drew a mystic knight').

DD still lost the run by a good half hour.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I got excited and literally dusted off my Wii U because I though that the GBA version of FFV was on the eShop. I should have known better. :negative:

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
I must atone for my great shame of not finishing my run last year, the most disappointing chaos run.

I got Monk / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dancer which could have just as well been a crappy regular run. The damage output was miserable. You know you're in a bad place when your best source of damage against Exdeath is bonking him with a light staff.

I would have killed for a berserker.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I hope the hidden command really is #BlameEverhate for a 4-Zerk team. I'm ready for it. :black101:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I've never done this before and never even played FF5 before so I'm gonna try this out.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Last year my team was Dancer, Dragoon, Red Mage, and Dancer, in that order. Thanks, #regchaos

Don't do this to me again this year Gilgabot :negative:

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Anyone remember Carbybot's commands?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

purkey posted:

All I remember is !speedtrap because alcharagia kept hitting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

purkey posted:

Personally all I remember is the four crystals (!wind, !water, !fire, !earth), but I know it has a !help file.

EDIT: I am dumb and don't remember anything.

Except dd. I remember the dragondarch command.

EDIT 2: It does, in fact, have a help file. I just mixed up exclamation points for periods.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 21, 2016

• Locked thread