Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

last post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

all i wont for is random and chaos w no duplicates

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

secret command wont be 4 zerk it will probably be something novel like only terrible classes or only team comps that finished the least number of runs from previous years

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Thief wouldn't be so bad, because at least you could put Artful Dodger on the berserkers.

There are good knives to use too. My 1st/2nd? run last year i just used all the rad knives with my berserker. probably 1st cause you still get berserker tree'd even w/o risk

I kind of feel like just making a spreadsheet to give me a true random run (chaos rules without being weighted towards any class) without duplicates

That way I don't have to wait for the fiesta and maybe i can do an official run later in the summer

Its always such a pain hearing about the fiesta weeks / days before it starts. I wish RK would start it each year when he starts the stream not when he finishes his run

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

remember to follow gilgabot on twitter
in two weeks time when hes not tweeting eighty identical meme tweets

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

well thats lame and boring but so is regrand and regchaos without the option to remove duplicates

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

if only they could put fun animations and character references in a game that wasnt a trashfire mobage

Mirthless posted:

A mystic knight in a 3zerk party is a Red Mage without spells.
You can get shell from Magic Shell and you have status / aga blades. Beastmaster is probably the worst because good luck catching most of the valuable things and usual !Release strategies want you to use 2 or 4 of a cool thing

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 22, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

What about no black mage AND no healing?

I'm running with Monk/Thief/Knight/Summoner currently.

there are bosses that cast fire and your summoner can use flame rods on people
but i think smn can use the heal staff also?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

People actually fight the terrible poo poo encounters in Moore? :confused:

I think I usually have Geomancy and that trivializes the forest of Mua. I hate fighting random battles though mostly because of the exp gain. Last time I did a berserker run I was doing chaos and had to fight a bunch of bosses with 4 zerkers so I had to overlevel and a lot of the bosses directly after Flame? felt too easy

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I kind of want to see the mobile Romancing Saga style sprites so I might give a random run a go on the mobile port. There's basically no way to get dicked over on the Void / Exdeath / Fork Tower in a random run. If you need it you'll have the tools to deal with it because crystal 1 and 2 classes are so foundational

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How long is it typically between sign up and the start?

Almost a month, Prism is a moron

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 31, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I feel ever trolled by rk that he keeps adding terrible commands but you still cant register for a random or chaos run with no dupes

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

You keep saying that but Random has no duplicates and hasn't since it got renamed from Hard Mode and Chaos having dupes is the whole point of the command.

No the whole point to chaos is to have the inverse class weights of random, and I didn't do a random run last year because he didn't make it clear that dupes were out now

Simply Simon posted:

Because I don't think it has been posted here yet:

tbh this sounds like "four Dragoons with
- HP +30%
- Summon
- or Sing
yaaaaaaaaaay"

EDIT: Wait, I just realized that you can add upgrade to Chaos, so you can have any ol' Job as your last one. Still doesn't sound fun at all.

Well actually it would be more like upgrading from Berserker to Berserker to Dragoon to Dragoon

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Tots for Tots

:unsmith:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I have very unpleasant memories of trying to beat that boss with a beserker a geomancer and a Red Mage

if you have a burker you can use death sickles
e: oh wow rdm cant even loving cast shell thats a baaaaad class

im sure ill get one this year

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 3, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Well, so much for the Ace Attorney reference I was planning, at least until run two.

Wait no, poo poo, the Fiesta starts halfway through a holiday I'm on. Unless you take like a month to finish. :v:

this game is playable on every smartphone and portable console technically :colbert:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Speaking of Brave Blade...

:siren: I will donate 5 dollars, up to 25, for each person who gets Knight and beats the game with a fully powered Brave Blade.:siren:

Post a screenshot of the Brave Blade equipped in the thread when you beat Exdeath.

:smith:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

:siren: I will donate $5.01, without limit, for each person who gets Knight and takes the drat Chicken Knife. :siren:

Quote this and post a screenshot of...whatever, honestly, when you beat Exdeath.

:unsmith:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Rirse posted:

There should be a counterpart group with Dr Lugae from FFIV.

nah but gently caress that guy tho

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

angel ring is a.ok because you can probably just do the sol cannon fight a couple of times and get it, and the next boss that might hit you with old is really far from there + you'll have an extra job

flame ring you should get at least one of so you're not hard stuck on the crystals fight if you dont have someone who can wear a flame shield

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

every year i grab an SNES version of the game with autodashing patched in or an autodash code with the intention to finally complete the game on those bugs / ruleset to take revenge for that sunken ship emulator glitch i dealt with as a child. And every year I struggle to get past the first treasure chest with the Phoenix Down because every text box and dialogue box in the Famicom version is sooooo sllllloooowwww

does anyone have the native res handy for gba screenshots, i just ressed this down to 720p and it looks right but it feels wrong

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

I'm finally finished with my Status Effect guide. This lists every single way you can inflict status effects on enemies as well as to get buffs on your party. Hopefully this will be helpful for some of you!

Let me know in the thread or through PMs if I missed anything or got anything wrong. But besides that it should be finished besides maybe reorganizing stuff a bit since I mostly followed the order the algorithms guide listed stuff under.

Mage Slasher?

Also you might want to mention under spellblade that if you do something like aim or jump that cant miss it applies the spellblade effect

e: im p sure sword dance can, and mug so it might be related to attacks that use damage calculation or just those 4

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

This is correct. In addition, the word often translated as "drat" can be anywhere from "rats" to "gently caress" depending on the character, the context, and the translator. Japanese doesn't really have what English speakers think of swear words.

mebbe they can leave in the honorifics and the shimatas and i can njoy them for myself

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would anyone do this?

because the kind of people who can edit roma of these old games and are familiar with the code are usually the people who have worked on translation projects
- they can already read japanese
- its easier to work the game into ancient cavey fuckness when you dont have to apply all your hacks and tricks to the rom to move data out of order to expand the alphabet and text registers and have everything moved around
- maybe they need the extra space theyd normally create in the rom for all the code to get english text in to hold the randomizer code / sanity checks for the ancient cave code

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 9, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

It's less about saving time by playing it on break and just playing it on the go.

...hrmm I wonder if I could run it on my work mac.

absolutely. not higan/bsnes maybe but there are plenty of emulators out there with the apt speed hacks to play the game at native framerate on a snes or gba emu on a dinosaur machine

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about almagest is that it's holy elemental. There's nothing in the vanilla game that lets you mitigate holy damage. They could have just made it non-elemental and it would work out just the same, but for whatever reason they didn't.

its probably just to deal with something that came up in testing. maybe almagest could add instant death before or bone mail has decent mag evade. who knows. its definitely supposed to be a "go grind more" shutdown move

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Unless you're smart enough to give them Equip Shields. :smug:

Alternately, Bone Mail could be the exact reason. Want to rely on sheer defense? Enjoy a now useless character slot.

was it physical like vacuum wave? i thought you could halve it with shell
when i found out it was holy i just assumed it was something to do w bonemail

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Is this a practice run he's doing? I thought someone said the offical Run is tomorrow.

Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta Opening Race - Starts 6/11 11AM EDT

8 PDT 9 MDT

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

zolthorg posted:

Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta Opening Race - Starts 6/11 11AM EDT

8 PDT 9 MDT

the dragon guy is just practicing hence why he spent a couple hours figuring out the exact values to hit for using shell to learn aquabreath
:shrug: i dont think you guys have ever seen a speedrun practice before "omg hes turned the game off and done the first part for four hours!!"

e: i will credit you though with apparently this guy is a disaster every year and it seems to be because of his cheating-strategy which is to just cram everything the night before the race
thats how you make mistakes

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 11, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Detheros posted:

:toxx: #2

EDIT:

:toxx: #3

hey these two arent uh... mutually exclusive

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Start playing and put him out a grand!

wait can anyone play the first run? i regged for random puppyrisk so i doubt even i could finish before diamond dog

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

dragon darch planning groundbreaking hpleak omega strat

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Jenja is already entering the Void.

DD hasn't even finished the pyramid.

jenja been cheating w that 1 frame advantage from the v beginning, strong rng seeding

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

where's all the portrait mods this yr

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

LightReaper posted:

Is there a save file for the moment when the job system is unlocked floating around for the GBA version?

i don't think this is :filez:

https://mega.nz/#!xEgTkbaK!ojDpMsUH6BS_V4rU2nw3XSV5vWr2Uq6CHLoGCNMriKc

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Clockwork Gadget posted:

It takes like fifteen minutes max to get to that part, less if you're frameskipping.

yeah about 10 without even running

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

nevermind i just saw ur gang tag please delete my files from ur machine for liking the bad roy

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

why are people tweeting to unlock all their jobs at once :smithicide:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bufuman posted:

Wow, Berserkers vs. Karlabos was sort of interesting in that Karl decided that he hated Bartz ItsTot with a passion, and didn't attack anyone else for the whole fight. The team finished him off just after he killed the party leader with a Tail Screw + Feeler combo.

Considering his tentacled associates only went for females, this says all sorts of interesting things about Karl himself. :gay:

i just started with theives and every steal is a potion and the shop doesnt appear to sell knives. are you just rolling with two fist using berserkers or did i miss a chance to grab some knives somewhere?

this is the first run ive ever gotten thief too so i hope i get some fun classes to play around with early equips and im gonna try to nab all the genji stuff

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Elentor posted:

Beasmaster/Berserker/Berserker/Dancer.

How screwed up or not am I?

mighty guard and equip ribbon? snoring through ned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Chaos No750, no Risk. Seriously what the Hell is this luck? I'm tempted to cheat (more, I haven't beat Liquidflame yet) and find out my last job just to know.

yeah arent duplicates in chaos great? i whined like a petulant child on twitter and the official reddit about a #nodupes command for the last mo and plenty last yr but i guess im just the baby that doesnt want doopers

• Locked thread