Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

All I want this year is to not get a Samurai again. I got Samurai the past two years, and while I love the class and everything, it's just too easy at a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Lovely Senorita posted:

Bartz is the singular best character in Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Surely you mean Gilgamesh?

This is all you need to know that Gilgamesh is still #1.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Patter Song posted:

I might as well try this this summer. Last played FFV in 2011, so I'm due, I guess. I have the Android version of FFV on my tablet and this will force me to actually use it. Using Random.org rather than Gilgabot, so I'm not doing this officially.

Beastmaster, Summoner, Ranger, Blue Mage.

Blue Mage rocks, obviously, and Summoner is pretty solid, but I never got much use out of Ranger and I don't think I've ever even touched Beastmaster.

Oh my god, this is it, the full Pokemon Master team! The one I had last year was almost this, but with Samurai instead of Blue Mage. Because of that, I had the stipulation that someone had to have !Animals on at all times, and it turns out that it's actually pretty good, although very RNG.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Twelve by Pies posted:

So has anyone had a class that they've never gotten in a Fiesta?

In all my runs, Red Mage is the only class I've never had. I did have Chemist in one run, but I Job Faired for it, so that's technically two classes I've never been assigned.

Berserker :v:

also i'm pretty sure i never got Monk, Blue Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Bard, Geomancer, or any Earth job not named Samurai.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

That second Grand Cross was amazing.

And we have #victoryGoblinPunch!

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I ended up with Bard/Berserker/Berserker so far, and I wanted to know in general what level I should aim for to beat Byblos with 4 Zerks. Should I see what my Earth job is since it's Chaos or wait until actually getting there? And where is the best place to grind at before getting the Fire Ship?

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Dr Pepper posted:

Since it's Chaos I'd just see what the final job is

It was Monk! I didn't think I'd ever be so happy to see Monk, and at least with a Bard it means the fists can actually be decent.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I remembered Dr. Tot!

Wait, something's not right...

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Wooo, managed to pull a triple crown out of my rear end by virtue of having Bard.

...Romeo's Ballad. Thankfully Thor's Hammer and the Rune Axe were able to do decent damage, so it was just a matter of getting the rhythm with two Singers that have like 10 points of agility difference.

Pretty much the only way I could pull this one off. It takes FOREVER, even with emulator turbo.

Pretty much the only time I could buff up was at the start, and I had to be careful or else I'd be left in control of no one and then lose. Grand Cross wasn't a threat with a buffed up Apollo's Harp, but I had to grind just so Faris could barely survive Almagest even with HP +30%. Again, Bard was the only thing that made this run even bearable, and having Monk with it would have been really nice if I just had a third person in control.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

So speaking of Omega, i have Dancer/Samurai/Ninja/Dragoon and I'm wondering how possible it is to survive his pattern of ridiculousness. I know that I can at least damage him with Dual Wield Trident Jumps or Thunder Scrolls, but I'm just not sure how I'm gonna survive all those damage moves and status effects.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Who needs Stop or Berserk? It's time for an ALL OUT TRIPLE CROWN BRAWL!

I only had 2 Dragon Lances, but that was more than enough to tear through Shinryu. Chicken Knife Dual Wield Sword Dances were the star of the show, and the Masamune let me keep Haste with Coral Rings up.

Ribbons and Rainbow Dresses on everyone, and Flame Shields for the heavy classes. Everyone had a way to bypass the evade except for the Samurai who was just an itembot, plus Trident Sword Dances and Jumps were pretty effective. As you can see, the end of the fight was just Faris jumping over like 5 Wave Cannons until she did the damage needed to finally finish it off.

I finally got to go all out, throwing money and legendary weapons while continuing to enjoy the power of Chicken Knife Dual Wield Sword Dance. I was able to blitz the Grand Cross bit at the end thanks to Dual Wield Dragon Lance Jumps.

A fun run that was ridiculous without being Chemist or Bard ridiculous. I did end up having to steal 3 Rainbow Dresses, a Flame Shield, and 2 Dragon Lances though. I would hope that I don't need to touch the Thief Knife for so much stuff like that again, but I know I probably will anyway.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Welp, I have 3 really good classes, and the other one gets a !Black6 Rune Axe. I'll probably have to use the three Reflect strategy for Omega, but otherwise this is in the bag.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Gerdalti posted:

NED is just wrecking my Dragoon/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk team. I don't have a decent way to deal with Grand Cross. Any suggestions? I'm level 75/76, so this should be doable.

The Grand Cross piece is a Dragon, so if you have any Dragon Lances from Thief Knifing Jura Aevis or Crystal Dragons then you can try to have your Dragoon rush that down and hope that the Zerks help out a little bit too.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Choco1980 posted:

Count me in as another going for full brave blade.

I figure I'll have my knight use it, and have my blue mage goblin punching with Excalipoor (at least until I get an enhancer...oh and maybe dual wield TWO of them??) I've really been wracking my brain trying to plan out what I do and do not need to do in W3. Like, I figure I'll do Istory, and I guess the Phoenix Tower to farm a fourth reflect ring, but I can't think of another of the optional areas I actually need for my blu/kni/nin/beast team. Or heck, what the third weapon at the sealed castle I'll pick will be. Excalibur I guess but I'm definitely keeping the Brave Blade fully charged...Or maybe I'll grab the assassin's dagger for my two-handed Ninja. Then again, if I'm going to Istory, I might as well unlock six weapons. Anything else that can be saved up for a huge throwing damage at the end in the twelve?

If you're planning on doing Istory you'll still have to do Island Shrine and Fork Tower to unlock it, so you'll definitely have at least 6 weapons by that point. I don't exactly know which weapons are the best for throwing, but I do know you can't throw the magic weapons or bells, and probably not the Fire Lash either. I'd say Masamune or the Holy Lance are the safest bets since you can use 3 of the other physical weapons and I'm not sure what the Rune Axe's base power is offhand.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

FairGame posted:

But all those people who said Dancer was the worst class were only 5/6 right. Lancer is the worst class. By far. Holy poo poo is it ever useless.
Having had both in my last run, at least Dancer gets really good once you hit World 3 for the Chicken Knife and Rainbow Dresses. However, even after getting the Dragon Lance, Dragoon just.... kinda is? I never had that sort of moment where things got amazing like with most other classes.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Bufuman posted:

And then they top it off with the Brave Blade, lol.

It's okay, they gave 2 (or up to 8!) Chicken Knives to Gilgamesh because they knew he could max them out. Plus they make rooster crows on every hit, which is the best thing.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

numerrik posted:

Bluemage berserker bard and chemist. #blessed. Advice for powering up the bard? I have no idea where to get the extra songs or good equipment.

In World 1 you can get both Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air, which break random encounters in half for you. One is in Istory by getting kicked over the fence by a sheep. The other is in Bartz's town by playing the music box in his house and then talking to the bard. There is also Mighty March in Crescent, which is okay I guess. Since you have Bard that means you can also get White Wind earlier than most, which is really good.

World 2 gives you Requiem in Quelb right before Drakenvale, which is really good for that point. After you get the drake you can also visit Surgate and read Xezat's book near his bed to get Swift Song, which is one of the two really good boosting songs.

World 3 has Mana's Paean right as you hit the Library, you have to talk to one of the scholars on the very top floor; you also have to do this before Moore as the library goes away forever. Then, by playing the pianos you can get Sinewy Etude and Hero's Rime from the bard at Crescent, although you do have chemist, but at least Hero's Rime doesn't use up your medicines at all.

AFAIK the only harp that matters is the legendary one because that murders dragons, and since you have chemist, you can turn literally anything into a dragon. Otherwise, just use knives until then.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

So I decided to do Pure Chaos for one last run (maybe) on the SNES version as a change of pace. I have Ninja, Thief, and Time Mage so that I can steal literally everything, even metaphysical concepts like time and space. Then I check my Earth job just to see what it is... and end up with Samurai again. Like Samurai is really good and all, but I can only take so much.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Simply Simon posted:

- FF4DS: It's good because FF4 is good (and has loving save points). The Augment system is new, and it's really unintuitive and dumb. Acceptable if you have a guide open at all times, therefore fantastic game design.

I only ever read the LP, but apparently this version has stupid hard random encounters at a point? Like as soon as they got to the Tower of Babil they were just getting destroyed in like every single fight.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

^That one is amazing.

A couple of my favorites.

In response to "this isn't a very sophisticated plan" or something similar:

And of course

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

But he's vulnerable to Berserk normally, so just do that with Bacchus' Cider or a Power Staff. Don't haste him when you don't need to.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Woo, finished my retro SNES Ninja/Thief/Time/Samurai run where I mostly threw Scrolls at everything. Is good.

Quickleak.

Power Staff + Image.

Now this was actually tricky because of Meteor hitting dummy targets. I had to resort to scrolls as my main magic damage. As for Almagest, I used Wonder Wand Shell to facilitate not grinding, and then Threw my entire non-scroll inventory at the part to kill it JUST before it had a second chance to wipe me.

Never got Time Mage in Fiesta till now, and I did love the moments where Gravity/Graviga and Stop were actually useful. Of course I could have just grinded for Iainuki instead but I let the Samurai take a backseat this run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Most Fun: Ninja/Thief/Time/Samurai. Once people started mastering Throw, scrolls were a very effective and integral part of my offense, and it made up for Time's relative lack of damage spells. Also having Hastega and a free Triple Crown. I didn't even care that my Thief and Samurai didn't really do anything noteworthy other than having a Twin Lance/Chicken Knife combo.

Least Fun: Bard/Berserker/Berserker/Monk. The beginning of the game is about as much fun as you expect from 4 Berserkers. Once I had party members who could actually do something, it was more manageable, and Bard basically carried the rest into a Triple Crown. My only regret is that having only 2 units in control meant I couldn't reliably buff the Monk to insane power.

• Locked thread