Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

AhahaAHAHAHAHAHAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a concise rundown of the pros/cons of the different platforms to play FFV on? I think by now there's, what, 5? (SNES, GBA, PS1, Mobile, Steam)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Any links to or consensus on the best sponsored speedruns to watch?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I mean not everyone has just started marathoning the Ace Attorney series but I know I'll at least be doing this. (does this make Lenna Maya, since her dragon becomes Phoenix? :v:)

You know, I hadn't, but that does sound like a good way to kill time until the Fiesta kicks off.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

karn1635 posted:

So if this is my first playthrough of FFV and I want it to be metal as gently caress and stream the thing I should register for Chaos and BerserkerRisk?

YES

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

What are some predictions/hopes for The Run's four chosen classes this year? Last year had Monk/RedMage/Ranger/Dancer.

I'm torn between voting for Beastmaster and Geomancer. :allears:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Good question... I have no idea. Is there a thread still around somewhere? The Run isn't listed in the infographics.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I hope the hidden command really is #BlameEverhate for a 4-Zerk team. I'm ready for it. :black101:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

9 days until Pre-Registration, and who knows how many days after that until the Fiesta kicks off. How are we supposed to survive until then?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I guess I could also try to get all the achievements for the Steam version in the meantime. :shepicide:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Fooma posted:

Going to try this for the first time. Haven't played FFV in decades. Is the steam version worth it, or is the GBA version the definitive one for the fiesta?

Playing the Steam version now, as far as I can tell the differences are:

--Probably has the extra Mobile classes
--Does not have Fast Forward

I'd recommend the GBA on an emulator, tbh

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

How long is the Pre-Registration phase, anyway? Or in other words, when does the Fiesta open up for reals?

(I am not going to survive this hype.)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, something occurred to me.

See, I actually work in a hospital that's connected to the Child's Play network (in the kitchens, but still). I started thinking that maybe I could use that to gather some more donations for the Festival, either by soliciting from co-workers (and maybe asking the Human Resources dept to match donations, though I doubt it) or for a different approach, try to get people to sponsor me and pledge X monies for my runs.

Thoughts? Anyone done something similar before?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I think a sponsor drive is your best thought process here, so it's entirely a personal thing.

Random thought--if the children the charity benefits directly are there in your hospital, is there a way to get them involved?

Good question. I work in the kitchens, so I don't see much of Blank normally, and I don't know how many kids are longer-term stays, or how many mediums we have for potentially playing FFV in-house as it were. Probably the best bet would be streaming, either a run of my own or The Run itself.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

That brings up a good scenario: what if you rolled a Chaos run, and didn't check all your jobs until you got to each crystal? Example, your 'Wind' Job was from the Earth Crystal, so would you have to Freelancer all the way to Earth, or should you reveal all jobs at the start of a Chaos run and just implement them in crystal order instead of rolled order?

...this probably made more sense in my head.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Edward_Tohr posted:

Chaos sorts your jobs into crystal order, so if your Wind job is from the Earth crystal, you know the other three will be as well.

Likewise, you'll only get a Wind job from the Earth crystal if all four of your jobs are Wind jobs.

Solved before it was even a problem, then!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Huh. Finding that I don't remember a lot of what I'm doing...

Are there checklists for things to see/get/grind in each world? At the very least I know I want to grab some rings before I leave World 1, and that means a ton of money grinding.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the prices on those rings, and I do not want to grind for them without Galuf in my party >.< Are they available in World 2?

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 24, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Natalya Fartz posted:

If you have a black mage and no healing classes, fire rings might not be a bad investment for in battle healing.

What about no black mage AND no healing?

I'm running with Monk/Thief/Knight/Summoner currently.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, question about donating.

It's through paypal, which is mostly simple enough, and clicking the Donate link on the FJF site goes to a simple donation amount checklist thing, with a comment box.

My question is, how do people arrange for Pledges, like X amount per completed run/superboss/zerker etc? I want to try and convince my co-workers at the hospital to sponsor my runs/donate this year, so I'm trying to figure out how that would work. Never done anything like this, so I'm kind of fumbling blind.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

you tweet a thing with #pledge to Gilgabot (same way you register) and it gets saved to a pledge section of the site. Pledges are not required, nor are they actually held accountable in any way.

Aha! Thank you!

Edit: Emailed the head of the children's hospital, re flyers about the event. I contacted them a while ago talking about the Child's Play charity and maybe getting into the network, only to find they had done it themselves very recently. :3:

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 24, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Hospital kitchen manager wants to see a sample flyer first but it sounds like I'll be able to advertise at work!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Asiina posted:

I always overgrind on statues, but I've tried to wean myself off of it. It's just important to remember that FFV is really quite easy.

I spent most of my day grinding statues. :saddowns:

In my defense, it does feel good to have some Artful Dodgers to toss around. And !Summon.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Galuf is usually the correct answer to any question, yes, but I'd argue that Krile's better for Whitemage/Berzerker and that Bartz has Dancer.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Update! From the children's hospital director:

Thank you so much for reaching out about your fundraiser – what a creative way to help support Blank Children’s!

Regarding posters, as I know there are quite a few employees who participate in various events, etc., my thought is that it would be best to place them in employee break rooms, etc. Also, if you tag Blank Children’s on Facebook or Twitter throughout the day, we can definitely talk to marketing about retweeting the info, etc.! J

Let me know if you have any additional questions – thank you so much for your support!

It begins. :D

Now if only I knew anything about Twitter. Any ideas on the best way to go about linking FFVFJF to my local hospital?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, I intend to make it clear that this doesn't directly send money to the hospital, but rather to the network that the hospital is a part of. Still, I'm sure it's good publicity for everyone involved. I'll fiddle around with Twitter once I've got some time to think about the best wording.

As for streaming? I've... never streamed before. I'm honestly not sure what it entails as far as hardware or software.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Emailed the charity director of Blank, to thank her for her interest, and to reiterate that proceeds go to Child's Play and not the hospital directly. Just in case.

Gonna send her a copy of the flyer I'm going to post too, as soon as I get it approved by the Food/Nutrition department where I work.

Also, downloaded the streaming program. I'll see if I can figure out how to work it tonight, after work.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Also-- got another email from charity director of Blank. She said that Child's Play donated 10k in toys/distraction equipment to Blank last year. :3:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Steam version does not have Autodash for parties without a Thief, and does not have a fast forward button.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Yesssss, Chaos Risking it

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Open for only a couple of hours, look at that Donation tally rise!

Also, dropped off the flyer I made for approval to the Food/Nutrition manager. She was sadly out of the office, so hopefully I can catch her tomorrow for a verdict.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Welp Chaos No750 with risk

I wonder if anybody will get the magical four zerks this year.

It's more a question of how many will get quadzerkers this year, I think.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'll probably give #Upgrade a try for my second or third run, just to see.

Assuming we don't confirm Everhate as a quadzerker go, of course.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Well, how could I not give Dr Tot a try? :3: Not sure I'll finish in time, but I'll give it a go anyway.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Do we have a definitive time for when The Run starts? I see the Fiesta countdown, but I can't tell if that's when the Run starts, or when the fiesta opens up to everyone, or even what time zone that'd be in.

Seriously, I can't tell time. :smith:

Edit: So of course then I look at The Run screen and it's right there. :shepface:

Suck though, I work weekends, and my initial plan was to grab some energy drinks and/or booze and actually watch the Run this year.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 5, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Probably shouldn't afford it, but gently caress it I do what I want. 5 'Zerks for the tree.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

djw175 posted:

Do the mods make the steam version of 6 worth it? I wish there was a definitive version of 6 where it wasn't buggy as gently caress, the music worked, and it didn't look like rear end.

Unless there's a mod for Brave New World on the steam version, then my answer will be no.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Pissed that I overslept (thought this was tomorrow), but I see I'll get to see a good portion of the magic before I have to go for work.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

BeastMaster/Zerk/Zerk/RedMage

:shepface:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

No more Red Mages, Gilgabot.

No more ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011