Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Woo, it's the zerkiest time of year already.

Ciaphas posted:

One of these years I'll go read the rules and actually do this.

Maybe it'll be this year???

Hard to when you've never played FFV though v:shobon:v

My first FFV run was a Fiesta run, and I've done it every year since then, so.

...Which actually makes this my 6th year doing the Fiesta, geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Aerox posted:

Going to be doing my first Fiesta thanks to FFRK-induced nostalgia.

I've played FFV before, but never all the way through, but have paid tangential attention to the Fiestas in the past.

What are the known list of registration commands this year, or are they a mystery until registration officially starts? I remember reading about them a couple years ago but didn't see a list of any in the OP, and the official site is just a countdown timer. I'm assuming for a first-time complete playthrough anyway I should just stick to the default...

Generally the reg commands are the same as the previous year's, with a new one thrown into the mix somewhere, being announced when registration opens. The ones for 2015 were Normal, Random, Chaos, Natural, Classic, No 750, 750 Only, BERSERKER RISK. There's apparently a secret command this year though, so we'll see.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Last year I had to use exclusively Geomancers and Berserkers until the Earth Crystal. Sandworm and Soul Cannon were not fun experiences.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Poque posted:

Whoops, I meant Berserker + 750. I feel like there was something about that combo that somehow guarantees only one Berserker, and in your second slot, so you at worst have White, Blue, or Black along with Zerk for your first two...any of which is a great combo.

BERSERKER RISK / 750 can assign the Berserker to any non-Wind crystal slot.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

InfernoBlade posted:

FFV is one of the longest ones pre-PS1 era. Going off of the How Long to Beat averages for main story, the first six games shape up like so:

FFI (NES): 17 hours
FFII (NES): 26 hours
FFIII (NES): 31 hours
FFIV (SNES): 24 hours
FFV (SNES): 34 hours
FFVI (SNES): 34.5 hours

That number presumably involves a bunch of grinding and the optional dungeons in World 3, so it's kinda an iffy one to judge. My first fiesta (which was also my first FFV run in general) reached NED in just under 26 hours, and I ran everything in World 3 short of the Sealed Temple.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

quote:

Upgrade can be added to any non Natural-run. To do so either tweet #upgrade to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

You will only use your Wind Job until you get your Water Job. Water until Fire, and then Fire until Earth. Then your Earth job will be the job you use until the end of the game. Any abilities learned from the previous jobs may be used.

Wanna do BERSERKER RISK, so I'll save that for a later run.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

zolthorg posted:

I feel ever trolled by rk that he keeps adding terrible commands but you still cant register for a random or chaos run with no dupes

Random can't give you dupes unless you're on BERSERKER RISK.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

They also pronounced Exdeath "Exodees" for some reason.

There wasn't an official English translation at the time, so all they had to go on was his Japanese name, which is Ekusudesu in romaji.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Query: What's the proper syntax for, say, doing a 750 Chaos run? I've been trying to reg using that and so far I've gotten either Chaos or Team 750, not the both.

It's #regchaos750.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

By crystal:

Wind: Black Mage, Knight, Thief
Water: Time Mage, Summoner
Fire: Ranger, Bard
Earth: Dancer

Wind is almost exclusively Monks. I'm kinda tired of Monks.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Is this a practice run he's doing? I thought someone said the offical Run is tomorrow.

Yeah, all the runners are working on their routing. ...Or not, as the case may be.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

zolthorg posted:

the dragon guy is just practicing hence why he spent a couple hours figuring out the exact values to hit for using shell to learn aquabreath
:shrug: i dont think you guys have ever seen a speedrun practice before "omg hes turned the game off and done the first part for four hours!!"

DD does not have a good track record. This was from 2014:

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, for those who haven't been following the streams, I have to put this down to preserve it for prosperity because holy loving poo poo this is terrible.

Dragondarch's team is Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer. Here's his foolproof strategy for dealing with the Seal Guardians in Moore Forest.

1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.

SIMPLE! :pseudo:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

He... he wiped to a Moldwynd.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Jenja just beat W2. DD just beat... Drakenvale.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is the first time Jenja's running in the Fiesta, right? He's doing pretty well for himself.

He's an actual FFV speedrunner, though. His any% record is like, 4 hours.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

And Elmagus won, with Jenja on NED, Puwexil on Void Gilgamesh, and DD searching for dragon fangs in the Island Shrine.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

DD is chilling in Drakenvale. He hasn't finished Fork Tower yet, right?

Goddamn. I hope we don't have to wait for him to finish.

He definitely cleared Fork Tower at some point, dunno if he actually saved after it, though.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

7:14:56 for Jenja, who had some really awful luck in the Void. DD is still in the trench, having done Istory 3rd for reasons.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Wind Job is Geomancer, grant me sweet death.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Kill me.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Komm susser Tot.

Fighting NED with Geo/Zerk x2/Dragoon was a painful experience, compounded by me having the worst luck with Grand Cross ever, with somebody ending up dead/statued/zombified every time he cast it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

With that team, you're gonna want some elixirs for Soul Cannon anyway. Geomancer is almost useless in that fight, so you're down a damage dealer, which means you're probably gonna eat multiple Wave Cannons.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It turns out we got Geomancer all wrong!

quote:

The Geomancer is one of the most useful classes in the game, and you will want - no, you will need to use these guys several times. In battle, Geomancers don't have any awesome equipment choices, and only have three abilities. But they're all very good. Gaia, on its own, isn't anything awesome, but it's good as a base skill for the Geomancer class. Gaia executes a random attack based on the terrain. The exact attack is random, but most Gaia skills are group attacks, and all Gaia skills rely on Magic for strength, hence your Geomancer should be an ex-mage. Since their weapons suck, Geomancers should just use "Gaia" every turn, it'll probably do a lot more damage than normal attacks, and Gaia is free, using it doesn't cost a single MP.

Find Pits and Light Step are the reasons this job is required to beat the game. A lot of dungeons have hidden pitfalls that send you plummeting to a lower floor, or they have lava floors that zap your health when you walk through them. The Geomancer detects the pitfalls and nullifies the trapped floors. For a cheap 175 AP you can Master the class easily. At that point you can just switch to Freelancer and snatch those two passive abilities for free. Without the Geomancer, you'll be doing a lot of backtracking and healing, so unless you want to go insane with such tediousness, have a character Master this job.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Kashuno posted:

"A lot of dungeons have lava floors."

Castle Exdeath and...??? Real talk though my geomancer was MVP vs Byblos.

The trench, and I think that's it unless Sealed Temple has lava? And yeah, Geo is good for Byblos, shame about literally every World 1 boss after it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Hymirvetr posted:

Sooo, I'm stuck on the Crystals. Jobs are Knight, Black Mage, Berserker, Beastmaster.

Should I go catch me a Shield Dragon?

Do you have Death Sickles? If you do, the Crystals aren't heavy.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Since some people in IRC were asking for a "stealth" Fiesta patch without Neo Excactuar.

I've tested it up to the Wind Crystal, so it should be fine, but I ain't taking responsibility if it melts your game or whatever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The real solution is to run from every fight and then get stonewalled by Byblos when your party ends up being Knight/Thief/White Mage.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

"Let's do a Chaos 750 run", I thought. "I don't get many mages" I thought.

I gotta admit, I'm almost impressed by Gilgabot's consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

zolthorg posted:

I remember killing movers with 4x zeninage at a low enough level that I couldn't kill ned on my first run ever, and doing more then like 2000 damage

The zeninage damage formula is (10 + Level - Enemy Defense) * 150. Movers have 40 defense, so to do 2000 damage per zeninage you'd need to be at least level 44.

• Locked thread